Q: "What about satellites? How do they orbit the Earth?

• 157 Replies
?

GeoGuy

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
Quote from: "yop69g"

Gravity : attraction to the center of a massive object (like the Earth).

Acceleration : the rate at which the object attracted will go towards the center of the massive object.

I know the definition, Yop. What I'm saying is that the effects felt by an object in an accelerated reference frame are exactly the same as those felt by someone in a gravitational field. So the two are locally indistinguishable. Meaning that, to us, there is no difference between Earth accelerating or producing a gravitational field.

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2006, 01:45:45 PM »
Quote from: "GeoGuy"

Gravity : attraction to the center of a massive object (like the Earth).

Acceleration : the rate at which the object attracted will go towards the center of the massive object.

I know the definition, Yop. What I'm saying is that the effects felt by an object in an accelerated reference frame are exactly the same as those felt by someone in a gravitational field. So the two are locally indistinguishable. Meaning that, to us, there is no difference between Earth accelerating or producing a gravitational field.

Again, the FEers live in their own little world. There is a difference but you ignore it. What scientific credibility do you expect, doing this ?
arth is spheric.

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2006, 01:49:10 PM »
Quote from: "Masterchief2219"
There's no upwards in the Universe.

I won't say retard. I'll say : maybe-intelligent-guy-that-does-not-have-the-knowledge-in-order-to-argue-with-me.

You belong to the South, with your retard mean of arguying on something you don't freaking know.

Upwards relative to us, moron. Its funny how you ignore the obvious meaning of my posts just so you can convince yourself that you are smarter than me. :lol:

The Earth CAN'T move upwards for no reason. There must be gravity. If there isn't, there is no reason but the one that you're dumb. It can't be accelerating upwards for no reason. Something must be attracting it : gravity. There is no other reason.

Is that clear ? If the Earth is moving "upwards", the Sun must too, so there is gravity. The Sun, in the other way, can't not-move because it's always in the sky.

Your theory is based on bullcrap.
arth is spheric.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2006, 01:56:22 PM »
What scientific credibility do you expect, doing this ?

Einstein says we are right.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"

...He says Earth moves in a straight line for no reason?
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2006, 01:59:31 PM »
It can't be accelerating upwards for no reason. Something must be attracting it : gravity. There is no other reason.

Hmm, so how did I go from 0 to 60m/h when I was driving the other day? I'm pretty certain there weren't any massive bodies in front of me...
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2006, 02:01:14 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"
Hmm, so how did I go from 0 to 60m/h when I was driving the other day? I'm pretty certain there weren't any massive bodies in front of me...

Earth isn't driven by gasoline. Nor any sort of the machinery inside a car.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2006, 02:03:16 PM »
Quote from: "Xargo"

I was playing catch the other day. The ball would go from not moving in my hand, to moving real fast through the air. How could this be? There weren't any massive bodies in front of me then either...

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2006, 02:05:12 PM »
I was playing catch the other day. The ball would go from not moving in my hand, to moving real fast through the air. How could this be? There weren't any massive bodies in front of me then either...

You're suggesting that a gigantic hand threw the Earth into motion?..

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2006, 02:05:37 PM »

The earth is not your ball.
FE Pwnage Archive

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=8101.0

The Engineer is still a douchebag

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2006, 02:08:28 PM »

Come now, Xargo, that wouldn't do any good. The Earth would stop accelerating as soon as it left the hand. No, I'm not suggesting anything so radical. I'm merely implying that there are forces in the universe other than gravity, and that when one of these forces is applied to something, that something will accelerate.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2006, 02:11:10 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"

...He says Earth moves in a straight line for no reason?

That gravity=acceleration.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2006, 02:13:34 PM »

Come now, Xargo, that wouldn't do any good. The Earth would stop accelerating as soon as it left the hand. No, I'm not suggesting anything so radical, I'm merely implying that there are forces in the universe other than gravity. And that when one of these forces is applied to something, that something will accelerate.

Thank you for clearing that up. Comparing the Earth to cars and balls is just... I just want to hit you, you know. Well then.. Let's limit down the plausible alternatives for forces that could cause the Earth to go into motion. I can think of two right away: Explosions in space (stars? big bang? meteors?) or gravity from a larger object - or larger cluster of objects.

edit: And please don't give me the bullshit that gravity doesn't exist. I've already covered this in the telescope thread.  :x

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2006, 02:17:18 PM »

Again, the FEers live in their own little world. There is a difference but you ignore it. What scientific credibility do you expect, doing this ?

You're right, Yop. After all, I'm just getting my information from a Swiss patent office clerk, what credibility could he have?

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2006, 02:37:40 PM »

You're right, Yop. After all, I'm just getting my information from a Swiss patent office clerk, what credibility could he have?

If your Swiss whatever says that gravity is the same thing than acceleration, he doesn't have any credibility.

Do a little research on google : gravity = acceleration.

You'll come up with "gravity due to acceleration", "acceleration of gravity", etc.

The gravity produces acceleration but it's not fucking acceleration. There's a MAJOR difference which you retards don't understand.

If you produces shit, it doesn't mean that you're shit.

It's the same exact thing.

The 9.8m/sē is an acceleration DUE TO EARTH'S GRAVITY.

If you don't catch this up, just leave ; you're a retard.

Gravity isn't replaced by acceleration. Gravity produces acceleration.

Period.
arth is spheric.

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2006, 02:40:55 PM »
Now you're gonna hear about their "special relativity".

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2006, 02:41:13 PM »

If your Swiss whatever says that gravity is the same thing than acceleration, he doesn't have any credibility.

I don't know, Yop. He became a pretty prominent figure in the scientific community.

You'll come up with "gravity due to acceleration", "acceleration of gravity", etc.

Try putting this into google: "Gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable"
The gravity produces acceleration but it's not fraking acceleration. There's a MAJOR difference which you retards don't understand.

Actually, there is no difference and I do understand.

Edit: Give me a minute and I'll provide a link which should settle this issue.

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »

I don't know, Yop. He became a pretty prominent figure in the scientific community.

Try putting this into google: "Gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable"
The gravity produces acceleration but it's not fraking acceleration. There's a MAJOR difference which you retards don't understand.

Actually, there is no difference and I do understand.

You don't understand what they're saying.

They say that a gravity field always creates acceleration. Not that acceleration is the same thing than gravity.

That's the difference.
arth is spheric.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2006, 02:45:19 PM »
I know exactly what they're sayng, Yop. they're saying that there is no difference between being in a gravitational field and being in an accelerated frame of reference.

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »
I know exactly what they're sayng, Yop. they're saying that there is no difference between being in a gravitational field and being in an accelerated frame of reference.

It's because the gravitational field produces acceleration!!!

It doesn't fucking mean that they're the same thing!
arth is spheric.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
It means exactly the same thing, Yop. It means that it is not possible to tell if you are in a gravitational field or in an accelerated reference frame. Which means that "Gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable".

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2006, 02:54:46 PM »
It means exactly the same thing, Yop. It means that it is not possible to tell if you are in a gravitational field or in an accelerated reference frame. Which means that "Gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable".

So the Earth accelerated the meteroits that hit it ?

The Earth is accelerating upwards so we can stay on it ?

Really, you're off.

That would mean that the ENTIRE Universe is moving the same way as the Earth because we can always see the other planets, stars, etc, at the same place when we look at them at the same time.

Also (off topic), I see a star. 30 minutes later I don't see it anymore, but I know someone that lives plenty miles away from here. Why will he see it but not me ? With a flat Earth, we should be seeing the exact same sky at the exact same moment. Which is not true.
arth is spheric.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »

!:shock:

Because we are standing on its surface, we are being accelerated with Earth.

That would mean that the ENTIRE Universe is moving the same way as the Earth because we can always see the other planets, stars, etc, at the same place when we look at them at the same time.

Yep, that's why we call it the Universal Accelerator.

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »

:!:  :shock:

Because we are standing on its surface, we are being accelerated with Earth.

Yep, that's why we call it the Universal Accelerator.

:lol: Yeah, right.

Do your physics, be a geek. Become an astronaut, and you'll see what's true.
arth is spheric.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2006, 02:59:50 PM »

So you have no objections?

The same to you.

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

The same to you.

I can't have any objections. This is plausible. But it can either work for a flat or spheric Earth...
arth is spheric.

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »

The same to you.

I can't have any objections. This is plausible. But it can either work for a flat or spheric Earth...

I have one. What does maintain the Solar System together if all is moving the same way but all around the Sun. And the Solar System around something else ?
arth is spheric.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2006, 03:11:56 PM »
The solar system does not revolve around the sun, as the sun revolves above Earth.

Edit: Haven't you already read the FAQ and Earth not a Globe?

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2006, 03:13:14 PM »
The solar system does not revolve around the sun, as the sun revolves above Earth.

Hmm... explain this one.
arth is spheric.

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2006, 03:16:04 PM »

100% wrong.