Interesting Flat Earth Research Project

• 16 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Interesting Flat Earth Research Project
« on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »

When last we heard of "Mad Mike" Hughes, the 61-year-old limo driver and stuntman who planned on launching a $US20,000 ($24,947) steam-fuelled rocket with "RESEARCH FLAT EARTH" painted on the side some 550m into the air at 800km/h, the gosh darn US government had intervened to tell him he couldn't conduct any such launch on public lands.

From here.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/rebuffed-flat-earth-rocketeer-says-he-will-actually-launch-himself-into-the-sky-at-800km-h-this-time/

Sounds like a good day out for any flat earthers who live nearby.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
Re: Interesting Flat Earth Research Project
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »

When last we heard of "Mad Mike" Hughes, the 61-year-old limo driver and stuntman who planned on launching a $US20,000 ($24,947) steam-fuelled rocket with "RESEARCH FLAT EARTH" painted on the side some 550m into the air at 800km/h, the gosh darn US government had intervened to tell him he couldn't conduct any such launch on public lands.

From here.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/rebuffed-flat-earth-rocketeer-says-he-will-actually-launch-himself-into-the-sky-at-800km-h-this-time/

Unless they can't stand the sight of blood.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »

From here.

No such luck.

If you were hoping to witness it for yourself, sorry but Mike is insisting no spectators.

Mark Feb 3 on your calendars:

According to an announcement on his Facebook page, Hughes says he hopes to pull off a vertical rocket launch on February 3, at a new site in Amboy, a ghost town in California.

But if any have some spare money, they can subscribe to a live feed on the aptly-named Noize TV.

Further:

Any drone flying near the private property will be shot down – our own drones will be recording anyone filming and their license plates and the CHP will run people off along with my own security

It's not clear why he expects CHP to run off his own security, but you never know about these things. Maybe out of vengeance on the security detail for ineptitude if drones are detected flying nearby.

New rocket, new launch date.

Godspeed, Mr. Hughes! And may the odds be forever in your favor.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:38 PM »
Where is he gonna sit on that rocket of his? Is he gonna strap himself to it like Wiley Coyote does to ACME rockets?

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »
Where is he gonna sit on that rocket of his? Is he gonna strap himself to it like Wiley Coyote does to ACME rockets?

It does sound like it...

Hughes, who describes his plan as "the ultimate Wile E. Coyote move,” ...
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if he actually does it. I'm more of the opinion that he will pull a Ken Carter and stall for years.

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:06:35 AM »
For RE earth diameter of 12600 m, they said : to see curvature it is needed at least10,700 m of altitude.

"10,700" meters is their "magic number"  ;D
• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »
$10 sez it detonates on the launch pad.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 05:58:29 AM »
For RE earth diameter of 12600 m, they said : to see curvature it is needed at least10,700 m of altitude.

"10,700" meters is their "magic number"  ;D

You live on a smaller version of the earth than I do.   

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »
Attention Seeker Gets Attention.   

In other news....
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Attention Seeker Gets Attention.   

In other news....

I like his choice of steam for powering his bomb rocket, if it doesn't work at least he can make a decent cappucino.

?

ER22

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
First, if he does launch, I hope he doesn't kill himself.
Second, why is he doing this in the first place?

I followed his previous attempt that was stopped by authorities
For not having the proper permits.

He had "Research Flat Earth" painted on the side of his rocket.
Don't know if FE was a sponsor.

Regardless, he can not prove or disprove a FE
Unless he can get up to low orbit altitude.

I just hope somebody stops him from killing himself.
But then, I'm sure somebody said the same about the Wright brothers.

Show me a Flat Earth map that works.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
I’m wondering what flat earthers think the purpose of this massive “conspiracy” to have people believe the earth is round?

What are they gaining by asserting earth is round?

When asked by Elon Musk why FEers don’t believe a Mars is flat is that is been “proven” by observation.  Observation from where, outer space?  By whom, astronauts?  So if it’s been “proven”  Mars is round by the same methods (observation, physics, etc) why can’t those same “methods” of observation be used to prove earth is flat? Those two opinions(Earth flat, Mars round) are completely contradictory.

Why has4 anyone just go to the edge of earth, climb up this supposed wall of ice that surrounds the disc of earth and take pictures of what’s over the edge?  People climb the tallest mountains on earth all the time.  Why can’t Flat Earthers simply perform or hire a team of mountaineers to do that? You’d then have indisputable proof.  What’s the hold up on doing that most basic, most definitive typ of experiment?  I just don’t get it.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

Are these BullwinkleBucks, or a currency that has value?

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »

It is steam powered, so it is more likely to burst and spin off in fart circles.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 04:00:19 AM »
He made his launch.  He got to 1875 feet.  Now he says he's off building a "'Rockoon’ - a rocket carried into the atmosphere by a gas-filled balloon - that will take him about 68 miles above ground level".  Is it a balloon or a rocket?  :o

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/937133/earth-flat-mad-mike-hughes-rocket-launch-video-Ambody-California
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

Macarios

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 07:48:59 AM »
He made his launch.  He got to 1875 feet.  Now he says he's off building a "'Rockoon’ - a rocket carried into the atmosphere by a gas-filled balloon - that will take him about 68 miles above ground level".  Is it a balloon or a rocket?  :o
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/937133/earth-flat-mad-mike-hughes-rocket-launch-video-Ambody-California

Both.
As far as I understood, he would carry all 68 miles up with a balloon, and then launch the rocket upwards from there.

His "68 miles" will be the problem, because the world record for manned balloon (without extra rocket weight) is 41,424 meters (25.74 miles).
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.