How much of the Antarctic do Flat Earthers believe is accessible?

• 23 Replies
I'm curious about this, as my other half is away on a cruise to the Antarctic as I write.

She and her brother flew to Buenos Aires, then to Ushuaia (southern tip of Argentina), then took a boat south for almost two days, and is now doing things like kayaking with penguins, hiking, and camping under the midnight sun.  It's not actually sunny for 24 hours, since she isn't quite far enough south, but it is light all the time.

Her cruise ship is working its way along the Antarctic Peninsula. It, and other ships in the area, can be tracked at www.marinetraffic.com.

There was another cruise, more expensive, that went quite a bit further south, within the Antarctic Circle itself, where in midsummer there really is 24 hour daylight.

So is she lying to me?  Has the conspiracy lied to her about where she is?  Would the other cruise have been unbookable had she opted for it?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:34:26 AM by Flyer »

Re: How much of the Antarctic do Flat Earthers believe is accessible?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:49:15 AM »
I'm curious about this, as my other half is away on a cruise to the Antarctic as I write.

She and her brother flew to Buenos Aires, then to Ushuaia (southern tip of Argentina), then took a boat south for almost two days, and is now doing things like kayaking with penguins, hiking, and camping under the midnight sun.  It's not actually sunny for 24 hours, since she isn't quite far enough south, but it is light all the time.

Her cruise ship is working its way along the Antarctic Peninsula. It, and other ships in the area, can be tracked at www.marinetraffic.com.

There was another cruise, more expensive, that went quite a bit further south, within the Antarctic Circle itself, where in midsummer there really is 24 hour daylight.

So is she lying to me?  Has the conspiracy lied to her about where she is?  Would the other cruise have been unbookable had she opted for it?
No, she probably is not lying to you.

She is just fine upon what is labeled the "Antarctic Peninsula."

The other cruise is probably "bookable," and they will take your NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT, board the ship, take off, cruise around a little, run into some very rough seas, declare they cannot continue to the advertised, ultimate destination, and everyone onboard will be extremely grateful to have just survived such peril...Besides, who is going to take the time to personally verify how far, "south," you actually are? If someone is actually found trying to verify degree of latitude, I bet you a ship's klaxon sounds and ships'  personnel report your location, warning you things are going to get pretty dangerous soon and you need to stop what you are doing right away and get back to your room and "batten down the hatches."

Afterward of course, everyone who was onboard will be extremely happy to be able to share their own personal STORY OF THEIR ANTARCTIC ADVENTURE!!! Complete with surviving the dog sled trips to the actual pole, etc...

You know...like how a "million people," attended the million man march...They were there...just ask em...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:50:26 AM by totallackey »

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »
Ok, so you're happy that she's on the Antarctic Peninsula.  Looking at where her ship is, she's at 65.1 degrees south.

Given that the spotlight sun is circling above the flat earth with a circle of approximately maximum radius at this time of year, how do you explain that she's getting over 20 hours of daylight per day, with no dark at all?

How does the spotlight illuminate where she is for nearly the whole day when half the time it's on the (diametrically) opposite side of the disc?

Without, that is, also illuminating the Arctic, which of course is mostly dark at this time of year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:46:42 AM by Flyer »

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »
Ok, so you're happy that she's on the Antarctic Peninsula.  Looking at where her ship is, she's at 65.1 degrees south.

Given that the spotlight sun is circling above the flat earth with a circle of approximately maximum radius at this time of year, how do you explain that she's getting over 20 hours of daylight per day, with no dark at all?

How does the spotlight illuminate where she is for nearly the whole day when half the time it's on the (diametrically) opposite side of the disc?

Without, that is, also illuminating the Arctic, which of course is mostly dark at this time of year.
You are claiming what exactly?

The days are longer "south," of the equator this time of year...

What is your problem?

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »

What is your problem?

The problem is this: Show me on the flat earth map of your choice how it could be a sunrise in Ushuaia, Argentina, a sunset in New Zealand at the same time.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »

What is your problem?
No problem for me, but the diversionary tactics are noted.

I presume you're familiar with the 'spotlight sun' model that supposedly explains how the flat earth is illuminated?

With the radius of the sun's circle greater, at a more southerly latitude during the months around December?

Given that, how can it be light the whole day on the Antarctic Peninsula, while the spotlight is on the other side of the disc?  If it can illuminate the Peninsula when it's on the Australia side of the disc, surely it would also be illuminating the Arctic.

But as we know, the Arctic is mostly dark at this time of year.

Rather than asking me about problems, perhaps you would address my question.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »

What is your problem?
No problem for me, but the diversionary tactics are noted.
What diversionary tactic?

I presume you're familiar with the 'spotlight sun' model that supposedly explains how the flat earth is illuminated?
Actually no, I am not fully familiar with the "spotlight sun," model...

Are you?
With the radius of the sun's circle greater, at a more southerly latitude during the months around December?
I would think the radius of the Sun's circular path above the flat earth would be greater during December, but I cannot testify to that assertion as being a fact...
Given that, how can it be light the whole day on the Antarctic Peninsula, while the spotlight is on the other side of the disc? If it can illuminate the Peninsula when it's on the Australia side of the disc, surely it would also be illuminating the Arctic.
Maybe if you could provide a visual example of what the issue is?
But as we know, the Arctic is mostly dark at this time of year.

Rather than asking me about problems, perhaps you would address my question.
Like I wrote earlier, I am not quite clear about the question.

Pizza Planet

• Flat Earth is just a theory
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
Maybe if you could provide a visual example of what the issue is?

I hope that this thread can finally answer how exactly FE sun shines its light to create day on one part and night on the other part of a flat earth. I have heard one FE theory suggesting that the sun is spherical but somehow acts like a spotlight to explain why it looks round during the day and is not visible at night.

In RET, the Earth's rotation axis is tilted 23.5 degrees from the plane of its orbit around the sun which creates seasons while Earth is orbiting around the sun.

Below shows how Earth receives the sun's light on June and December solstices. in June, the northern hemisphere receives more sun light than the southern hemisphere creating summer time in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern hemisphere. In December, it's the other way around. But regardless of the time of the year, one half of the spherical earth is in day time while the other half is in night time. Half earth is day and half earth is night. Half and half.

There are many sites that show day night map available on Internet. For example you can check what part of the world in in day time or and night time depending on the day of the year and the time of day in http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html

I tried to project day and night on a flat earth map depending on the month (March, June, September and December). The below sketches show the sun light (the yellow highlight) as perceived by a flat earth in function of the time of the year.

We can see than the shape of the sun light on earth is different depending on the month. In June, the sun is nearer to the north pole and shines in perfect circle on earth giving longer daytime to the northern part. This is probably what is referred to as "spotlight" by some FEers. But in March or September, the sun doesn't shine like a spotlight anymore. In December, it's getting worse. I cannot even find a word to describe how the sun can light the outermost of the disk while creating a dark spot in the middle.

Is this the death of the FE spotlight sun?

I used monopolar model for this work. When I get more time, I'll include the bipolar model too. I have the impression bipolar model will be even weirder than the monopolar one.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 01:00:31 PM »
The problem is this: Show me on the flat earth map of your choice how it could be a sunrise in Ushuaia, Argentina, a sunset in New Zealand at the same time.
That sounds about right...

Pull out any flat map and graph it yourself.

Pizza Planet

• Flat Earth is just a theory
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »

I gave you an illustration, when you graph it yourself the suns 'spotlight' isn't consistent throughout the year. Could you explain?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »

OK, show me how in Ushuaia, Argentina your flat earth sun would
rise at 5:04 am from direction 134° (almost SE) and set at 10:11 pm in the direction 226° (a bit past SW).
This seems quite impossible with your sun roughly North East at the time of sunrise and roughly North West at the time of sunset.

And don't come with "any flat map" explanation!  I asked for a "flat earth sun" explanation.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »

She and her brother flew to Buenos Aires, then to Ushuaia (southern tip of Argentina), then took a boat south for almost two days . . .

So is she lying to me?

Yes.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 02:45:12 AM »

She and her brother flew to Buenos Aires, then to Ushuaia (southern tip of Argentina), then took a boat south for almost two days . . .

So is she lying to me?

Yes.
Bless, you people are so funny,

She messaged me yesterday from the Lemaire Channel, took a picture herself of a penguin colony where they went ashore.  There are countless articles, photos and YouTube videos of it, thousands of people have visited it, how can it be plausible that a conspiracy of such magnitude could be kept secret?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:52 AM »

So is she lying to me?

Yes.

She messaged me yesterday from the Lemaire Channel, took a picture herself of a penguin colony where they went ashore.

Any pic of her 'brother'?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »

So is she lying to me?

Yes.

She messaged me yesterday from the Lemaire Channel, took a picture herself of a penguin colony where they went ashore.  There are countless articles, photos and YouTube videos of it, thousands of people have visited it, how can it be plausible that a conspiracy of such magnitude could be kept secret?

Tell her it is dangerous to make eye contact with the penguin.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »
Still waiting for a Flat Earther to comment intelligently on the way the shape of the Magic Solar Lampshade has to change to correspond with the actual patterns of light and dark throughout the year.

Or on anything else, for that matter.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »
try using ALL CAPS.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »

rise at 5:04 am from direction 134° (almost SE) and set at 10:11 pm in the direction 226° (a bit past SW).
This seems quite impossible with your sun roughly North East at the time of sunrise and roughly North West at the time of sunset.

And don't come with "any flat map" explanation!  I asked for a "flat earth sun" explanation.
You do not even believe in the flat earth.

How would you be able to know where a flat Earth Sun would be or appear in world you deny exists?

Macarios

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

How would you be able to know where a flat Earth Sun would be or appear in world you deny exists?

You do believe in Flat Earth.
Do you know where the Flat Earth Sun would be?
Why in reality it is not there?
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 02:26:06 PM »

Because I can easily do a bit of geometry from you flat earth model with the sun circling at 3000 miles above the earth.

I assume we can believe Jack when he writes in the FAQ!
Quote from: Jack
Flat Earth FAQ - Please Read!
Geography and Physics

How do you explain day and night cycles?

Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth:

When the sun is further away from the North Pole, it's winter in the northern hemiplain (or hemisphere) and summer in the south.  A more simplistic picture can be found below.

Then I assume that we can believe this:
Quote from: the Wiki
The Sun
The sun is a sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.

Spotlight effect
The Sun's area of light is limited to a circular area of light upon the earth much like the light of a lighthouse is limited to a finite circular area around it. The rotating light on a lighthouse does not propagate infinitely into the distance. This means that only certain portions of the Earth are lightened at a time. It also describes how night and day arise on the Flat Earth. The apparent view of rising and setting are caused by perspective, just as a flock of birds overhead will descend into the horizon as it flies into the distance.

Rendered picture of the Sun in relation to the Earth

This site's diagrams are (still) missing, so I have replaced them from the "other site".
If you think they are wrong, please provide the correct ones and, if you can, arrange for "the FAQ" and "the Wiki" to be repaired.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »

Because I can easily do a bit of geometry from you flat earth model with the sun circling at 3000 miles above the earth.

I assume we can believe Jack when he writes in the FAQ!
Quote from: Jack
Flat Earth FAQ - Please Read!
Geography and Physics

How do you explain day and night cycles?

Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth:

When the sun is further away from the North Pole, it's winter in the northern hemiplain (or hemisphere) and summer in the south.  A more simplistic picture can be found below.

Then I assume that we can believe this:
Quote from: the Wiki
The Sun
The sun is a sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.

Spotlight effect
The Sun's area of light is limited to a circular area of light upon the earth much like the light of a lighthouse is limited to a finite circular area around it. The rotating light on a lighthouse does not propagate infinitely into the distance. This means that only certain portions of the Earth are lightened at a time. It also describes how night and day arise on the Flat Earth. The apparent view of rising and setting are caused by perspective, just as a flock of birds overhead will descend into the horizon as it flies into the distance.

Rendered picture of the Sun in relation to the Earth

This site's diagrams are (still) missing, so I have replaced them from the "other site".
If you think they are wrong, please provide the correct ones and, if you can, arrange for "the FAQ" and "the Wiki" to be repaired.
Please accept the same courtesy you allow for dutchy to be extended to you:

"And how would you know what "a far away nebula" should look like?
You don't believe in any "far away nebulae" so you might be more than a little biased!"

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
Please accept the same courtesy you allow for dutchy to be extended to you:

"And how would you know what "a far away nebula" should look like?
You don't believe in any "far away nebulae" so you might be more than a little biased!"
What on earth are you talking about? All that information was from flat earth sources.

Am I not supposed to believe what I read in "the Wik" and "the FAQ"? If not, can you tell me how to work out the path of the sun on your flat earth.

If you don't know this sort of thing, why do you bother even posting?

So run away and find someone who does know!
Though I have a suspicion that no-one knows because no flat-earther has either an accurate map or a motion for the sun that works.
I really don't blame you because both are quite impossible!

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 05:46:48 AM »

Take this info and draw the lines of daylight on the AE by Gleason.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 05:05:38 PM »

Take this info and draw the lines of daylight on the AE by Gleason.
Not my problem, but why the "Azimuthal Equidistant Projection[1] by Gleason", that's the same projection of the Globe as:
But here are the day/night patterns on that Ice-Wall map for various seasons:
There are many sites that show day night map available on Internet. For example you can check what part of the world in in day time or and night time depending on the day of the year and the time of day in http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html

I tried to project day and night on a flat earth map depending on the month (March, June, September and December). The below sketches show the sun light (the yellow highlight) as perceived by a flat earth in function of the time of the year.
We can see than the shape of the sun light on earth is different depending on the month. In June, the sun is nearer to the north pole and shines in perfect circle on earth giving longer daytime to the northern part. This is probably what is referred to as "spotlight" by some FEers. But in March or September, the sun doesn't shine like a spotlight anymore. In December, it's getting worse. I cannot even find a word to describe how the sun can light the outermost of the disk while creating a dark spot in the middle.
Now please explain how your Magic Spotlight Sun manages to know how to produce these constantly varying light patterns while all day long showing the same circular face.

[1] You do not need a projection of a flat earth. Any map would just be a small scale reproduction of the whole earth.

PS I thought that there was no flat earth map, yet you tell us to use this AE by Gleason.
      Me (still) thinketh flat earther speaketh with forked tongue.