Seven words (and phrases) you can't say - CDC edition

• 82 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Seven words (and phrases) you can't say - CDC edition
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:43:28 PM »
Now it seems that the Trump administration wants to censor the CDC's official documents by forbidding words like "fetus" and "transgender".  Seriously, WTF?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-gets-list-of-forbidden-words-fetus-transgender-diversity/2017/12/15/f503837a-e1cf-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Seven words (and phrases) you can't say - CDC edition
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
Evidence-based and science-based are my favorites.  It reads like something The Onion would write.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
More importantly, what did he do with the other half? Since the moon is made of cheese he probably ate it with crackers.

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread! I was wondering what happened to this post.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:45:13 PM by Boots »
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Ok that's pretty weird... Especially fetus, that's a word that is hard to replace and seems pretty necessary in a medical context.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 12:00:11 AM »
Ok that's pretty weird... Especially fetus, that's a word that is hard to replace and seems pretty necessary in a medical context.

It's for the ultra pro lifers. 

Pezevenk

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »

So ultra pro lifers don't even mention fetuses? Like, they're not even a thing to them?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:54:16 AM »

So ultra pro lifers don't even mention fetuses? Like, they're not even a thing to them?

They'd prefer the term 'unborn baby'.

Pezevenk

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 05:58:04 AM »

They'd prefer the term 'unborn baby'.

But... Why? It's objectively a fetus. Wtf.

The other ones are so obviously attempts to "stick it up to them entitled SJW millenials". It's laughable.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »
Unborn baby or child is preferable to fetus because it invokes an emotional response.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
Unborn baby or child is preferable to fetus because it invokes an emotional response.
Which is exactly why it doesn't belong in official correspondence.

Pezevenk

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 06:50:59 AM »
Which is exactly why it doesn't belong in official correspondence.

^This. It's a very weird decision.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

DuckDodgers

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »
I agree, this is very stupid. However, it's a calculated move to pander to his base. As far as I know, it only applies to budget documents. Perhaps it's meant to try to sway the departments by having them say the emotion words instead of sciencey words.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
Gee, I wonder where all the anons complaining about the doubleplus goodspeak are?

DuckDodgers

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
Gee, I wonder where all the anons complaining about the doubleplus goodspeak are?
Banned for making Jew jokes.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 02:07:52 PM »
Hmmm. I remember reading how teachers in schools were 'forbidden' to use phrases like 'Good morning boys and girls'. One of the suggestions to use instead was 'Good morning purple penguins'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2787443/Politically-correct-Nebraska-school-district-gets-gender-inclusive-tells-teachers-purple-penguins-preferable-phrase-girls-boys-referring-students.html

PENGUINS. What further proof do you need they are messing with our lives

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »

Hmmm. I remember reading how teachers in schools were 'forbidden' to use phrases like 'Good morning boys and girls'. One of the suggestions to use instead was 'Good morning purple penguins'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2787443/Politically-correct-Nebraska-school-district-gets-gender-inclusive-tells-teachers-purple-penguins-preferable-phrase-girls-boys-referring-students.html

PENGUINS. What further proof do you need they are messing with our lives

Ah, there's the local anon-representative wannabe. Solid take on the "but what about..." tactic. 7/10. Bonus point for the penguins. 8/10.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
Hey num nuts, whats your take on the abolishing of gender terms and what you would suggest if not 'purple penguins'. Or is 'purple penguins' are brilliant idea. I can just imagine it's use, well into university and professional years.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
Hey num nuts, whats your take on the abolishing of gender terms and what you would suggest if not 'purple penguins'. Or is 'purple penguins' are brilliant idea. I can just imagine it's use, well into university and professional years.

Ok, serious answer:

I think it is silly to worry about the term "boys and girls".
I think it is silly to worry about the term "purple penguins". I assume that is their mascot?
I personally prefer the term "little dipshits", but the local PTA keeps kicking me out.

I don't know the context behind the decision, but considering the story is from the dailymail, I'm going to assume it's a bit sensationalized. I suspect the school district is trying to find terminology that doesn't exclude those rare individuals struggling with gender identity. It was probably in response to a lawsuit. It seems like an overreaction to me, but I honestly couldn't care less either way. (Note: I didn't even bother to read the article)

Now that's out of the way, num nuts, what's your take on the CDC verbiage limits?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »
Where have you been man, they are phasing out gender terms all over the world for fear of maybe hurting some fee fees some day. According to the government, I am not a father for instance. I am 'Parent 2'. My kids mothers is just known as 'birth parent' and just incase he grows up some day confused by all the 30+ genders we now have, we can have on his birth certificate his gender as 'unknown' or 'indeterminate'.

So you people jump up and down because someone wants to exclude the word 'foetus' but where were you when mother/father, boys/girls etc were done away with?

I think abortion is hideous myself. Not for any religious reasons either. When you hear SJWs scream because somebody finds a mother carrying a baby at 20weeks discovers its a girl and wants an abortion because she wants a boy instead you just shake your head. But hey, it's only a foetus right?

How about that lady in China that had a forced abortion at 7 months

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_abortion

Only a foetus right? No loss. Certainly couldn't call that an unborn baby

If the government wants to exclude these pussy terms that served only to pander for ideologist fee fee groups, who cares. The next President will just undo it all anyway. None of what any of your leaders do will make a difference so long as all you people insist 'it's my way or the highway' attitude. You'll never move forward but remain in a state of perpetual stagnation. China is disgusting in a lot of regards but one place it excels is that it has a plan and no 'opposition for opposition sake' groups to get in the way. This is why they will reign supreme and dominance over you guys why you are still sorting out how many extra genders you can add to a dumb list  :P

Know your place

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
Where have you been man, they are phasing out gender terms all over the world for fear of maybe hurting some fee fees some day.

Yeah, they should stop caring about other people's "fee fees" and start caring exclusively about Shifter's "fee fees".

According to the government, I am not a father for instance. I am 'Parent 2'. My kids mothers is just known as 'birth parent' and just incase he grows up some day confused by all the 30+ genders we now have, we can have on his birth certificate his gender as 'unknown' or 'indeterminate'.

Database design for classifying large groups of people. Try it sometime. You will stop whining about all this stuff really fast.

<but what about... SNIP>

If the government wants to exclude these pussy terms that served only to pander for ideologist fee fee groups, who cares.

<sucking China's knob... SNIP>

And you don't think banning the technical term "fetus" isn't "pandering for ideologist fee fee groups"?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »
You could just ignore him at this point.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
You could just ignore him at this point.

I could, but I happen to be super bored right now...

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
NERD!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
My fee fees lol. You think of your own and the 0.1% of people who think like you. I'm a realist who calls things how they are. If my son has a penis and has both X and Y chromosomes, no amount of pretending will make him any different. If he wants to dress as a girl, he is simply a guy who likes to dress in feminine clothing. We don't need to 'invent' a plethora of labels to choose from so he can fee like he fits neatly into some imagined box all by himself

I notice you 'snip' any point of argument you cant debate.... And as for sucking Chinas knob, you are imagining things for your argument. I have said plenty of times China is hideous and littered with a host of human rights abuses and suppressions of freedoms, but you cant simply deny the progress they have made in the past few decades. Taking the best of both systems could bring the benefits of both and the negatives of neither.

But hey, make shit up about me if you feel your argument is weak and lost. Good work man. Jane would be proud :)

Know your place

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
<irrelevant stuff... SNIP>

I notice you 'snip' any point of argument you cant debate....

No, just the stuff that is too stupid to bother with. I'm bored, but I'm not that bored.

And as for sucking Chinas knob, you are imagining things for your argument. I have said plenty of times China is hideous and littered with a host of human rights abuses and suppressions of freedoms, but you cant simply deny the progress they have made in the past few decades. Taking the best of both systems could bring the benefits of both and the negatives of neither.

Right. Best of both worlds would be great. Go make a thread about it. This thread is about the CDC though...

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »
This thread turned into your boredom relief though through your art of trolling though

As for the suppression of those words. No sympathy from me. Governments and lobby groups have been eliminating words and changing definition of others for as long as I remember. If they want to abolish any gender terms such as mother and father, husband/wife, boy/girl, ladies/gentlemen etc, don't expect me to shed a tear when 'foetus' is removed because someone dares wish to instil some kind of humanity in an 'unborn child'

Do I think its dumb? Of course I do. But do I care? Not after your PC war and abolition of so many other words. Learn to suck it up.  :) :P

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
Now it looks like the CDC is trying to that those words aren't banned after all.  Sounds like a conspiracy cover up to me.
“The assertion that H.H.S. has ‘banned words’ is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process,” an agency spokesman, Matt Lloyd, said in an email. “H.H.S. will continue to use the best scientific evidence available to improve the health of all Americans. H.H.S. also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions.”

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »
Now it looks like the CDC is trying to that those words aren't banned after all.  Sounds like a conspiracy cover up to me.
“The assertion that H.H.S. has ‘banned words’ is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process,” an agency spokesman, Matt Lloyd, said in an email. “H.H.S. will continue to use the best scientific evidence available to improve the health of all Americans. H.H.S. also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions.”

You sure is not the MSM making 'fake news' to stir the public into anger? Makes for great click bait afterall

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »

I don't have the link handy but I've heard that the banned words were really only suggestions for writing documents that ask for funding so as to not hit sensitive topics(because, you know, Trump).  It wasn't a policy guideline or anything.  It was more like someone coaching the CDC in how to not trigger the hard right.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
But wasn't it the WH putting out the guidelines? Why would the WH care if the guy in charge is triggered? Wouldn't the WH rather have the agencies out those trigger words in so their funding gets denied?