Long Time listener first time caller

• 107 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Re: Long Time listener first time caller
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
So you can't support your point that I said rotation would be in one direction?  Given a globe earth, It would be in the direction against the rotation of the earth, not one direction.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »
So you can't support your point that I said rotation would be in one direction? 

Rotation of what would be in one direction? The earth? No one disputes that. Slow down.

Given a globe earth, It would be in the direction against the rotation of the earth, not one direction.

What is 'it'? The Coriolis force? "[A]gainst the rotation of the earth" would be to the west. That's one direction, at least in terrestrial terms.

Can you give a coherent description of what you mean by "not one direction" and what "it" is?

There's no need to rattle off some quick retort. Please take time to create a meaningful reply.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:50 PM »
John, why don't you stop asking questions, and start providing some hard data on how much faster one track should wear than the other, and compare that with the actual rate of track replacement.  That would actually be a productive direction for this conversation.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
I think its important we agree that the experiment is a valid one first; so, does it matter if a rock is tied to a string, or a solid, or touching the earth for inertia to function, or not?

I seem to be having a lot friction trying to get an answer on this one.

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:58 PM »
I think its important we agree that the experiment is a valid one first

What experiment?

so, does it matter if a rock is tied to a string, or a solid, or touching the earth for inertia to function, or not?

No, it doesn't matter. Inertia is a property of mass. The earth, strings, or physical state (solid, liquid, gas, plasma) is not relevant.

No, you aren't.

You're trying to dodge answering the question about how much additional force you expect to be applied by the weight of a train to one railroad track compared to the other due to their being on the spherical, rotating earth. We're getting a lot of tap dancing from you instead of an answer to that question, even though (more likely, because) it's central to your assertion.

How much would the difference in force between the two rails be for a 200,000 kg locomotive traveling due north in the northern hemisphere on rails separated by, say, 1.5 meters at, say, 30 m/s? Pick other parameters if you prefer, but specify them. The weight of this locomotive would be roughly 2,000 kN (nominally 1,000 kN per rail if it were evenly loaded and no extra issues like engine torque were involved). Feel free to express the answer in microNewtons, milliNewtons, Newtons, ounces-force, pounds-force or whatever unit seems most appropriate, but please specify the units of force you do decide to use.

How much is the difference? Please show the work.

[Edit] Correct typo.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:16:03 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »
I think its important we agree that the experiment is a valid one first; so, does it matter if a rock is tied to a string, or a solid, or touching the earth for inertia to function, or not?

I take this to mean you don't have any actual facts to back up your statements.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2017, 02:15:06 AM »
I did not have time last night due to minor sickness in the family, and thus was not able to consult my library on the source. Hopefully tonight.
I am sorry about the sickness in the family, but you are now admitting that the claim in your post shown below was made with no ptior justification.
Now that you agree that physics says what it says, if there is a Coriolis force, train tracks in the Northern ring that run north to south, or vice versa, will show more wear due to the inertia pushing slightly against the side opposite the movement over long periods of time. This would manifest in tracks needing to be replaced more often on said side; no such phenomena is manifested. This provides us with yet another evidence that the Earth is flat, and not spinning about like a child's whirligig.
Yes, there is a Coriolis force, but if this force is completely negligible compatible to other traverse forces then "train tracks . . . . ..  will show more wear" is a totally fatuous statement.

But flat earthers always seem allergic to numbers and calculations, yet insist on making these ridiculous claims about the effect of a rotation rate of about 0.0007 rpm or roughly 0.00007 rad/sec.
Also, please tell me how many child's whirligigs you have seen that rotate at 0.0007 rpm.

It other words this "evidence that the Earth is flat, and not spinning about like a child's whirligig" is, like so many other so-called bits if evidence of your flat eartn, totally meaningless

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
I'm not dodging any questions. I was told that inertia doesn't affect things touching the ground or on strings. Is this or is this not the case?

What experiment?

so, does it matter if a rock is tied to a string, or a solid, or touching the earth for inertia to function, or not?

No, it doesn't matter. Inertia is a property of mass. The earth, strings, or physical state (solid, liquid, gas, plasma) is not relevant.

No, you aren't.

You're trying to dodge answering the question about how much additional force you expect to be applied by the weight of a train to one railroad track compared to the other due to their being on the spherical, rotating earth. We're getting a lot of tap dancing from you instead of an answer to that question, even though (more likely, because) it's central to your assertion.

How much would the difference in force between the two rails be for a 200,000 kg locomotive traveling due north in the northern hemisphere on rails separated by, say, 1.5 meters at, say, 30 m/s? Pick other parameters if you prefer, but specify them. The weight of this locomotive would be roughly 2,000 kN (nominally 1,000 kN per rail if it were evenly loaded and no extra issues like engine torque were involved). Feel free to express the answer in microNewtons, milliNewtons, Newtons, ounces-force, pounds-force or whatever unit seems most appropriate, but please specify the units of force you do decide to use.

[Edit] Correct typo.
You claim I said it was overwhelmingly in one direction - I did not.
You claim I was the one that brought inertia into the discussion - I did not.

You, sir, are the one doing the dodging. Now answer the question:
"Why would rotation cause a pull in a direction opposite to the rotation?"

As it stands, I can't make any calculations because the globularists in this thread can't agree on whether or not it matters if objects are tied to strings, touching the ground, or what the Coriolis force is in the first place.

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
I'm not dodging any questions. 
If this were true, you would already have provided your calculations for how much more wear one track should have than the other and compared it to actual data from the replacement of tracks around the country.  Until you provide this information, you're just evading.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »
If this were true, you would already have provided your calculations for how much more wear one track should have than the other and compared it to actual data from the replacement of tracks around the country.  Until you provide this information, you're just evading.

As it stands, I can't make any calculations because the globularists in this thread can't agree on whether or not it matters if objects are tied to strings, touching the ground, or what the Coriolis force is in the first place.

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
I'm not dodging any questions. I was told that inertia doesn't affect things touching the ground or on strings. Is this or is this not the case?

What experiment?

No, you aren't.

[Edit] Correct typo.

You have completely dodged the question of east west tracks wearing unevenly on a flat earth.  They would always be turning north right?

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »

The calculations for YOUR hypothesis shouldn't be hinged on "globularist" misinterpretations of physics.  Do your math, according to your understanding of physics, and we can all check together if your predicted results differ from reality.

?

realNarcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
I've provided you with many tests you can do yourself, why would we believe you'll do a different test after we provide details of additional laborious research?

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »

Already answered. It's in the quote block you included (highlighted below, in bold red, in case you missed it). Please actually read the responses and quit dodging the question.

What experiment?

No, you aren't.

Seriously? The post where you said it is still there.

Here it is, QFT:
Yes, but why would it overwhelmingly be in the direction against the rotation of the earth?

For the record, I said you were the only one that mentioned inertia in the block of text that you quoted and were responding to. You still haven't shown where anyone (but you) denies that inertia exists for objects in contact with the ground. Please don't bother trying, since that was only an attempt at diversion, anyway.

*Sigh*

For the same reason it will cause a deflection in a direction the same as the rotation.

The Coriolis effect on earth is the deflection of a ballistic object (one affected only by gravity) to the right with respect to the direction of travel in the northern hemisphere. Deflection "to the right" is eastward for objects traveling north and westward for objects traveling south. Eastward is in the same direction as the rotation of the earth.

The reason why this happens was already explained (with calculations!) in this post earlier in this thread.

As it stands, I can't make any calculations because <lame excuses>.

You can't make any calculations, period. If you could, and you thought they supported what you claim, you'd provide them using the same assumptions that went into this assertion:

The truth of the matter is that railroad ties would receive uneven wear if it was really the case that this earth was some spinning marvelous globe bolting through the heavens at ridiculous speeds. In reality, we see that railroad ties wear evenly giving us yet another proof that the earth does not whirl about space in some sort of celestial race.

Strings and all that other stuff you pony up are just obfuscation.

Carpenter I know talks of this, as do many others.

I'll verify it was Carpenter when I return home and have access to my library; admittedly I read this evidence quite some time ago.

I did not have time last night due to minor sickness in the family, and thus was not able to consult my library on the source. Hopefully tonight.

I hope your family member is feeling better.

Any luck finding that evidence? Can you at least provide Carpenter's (or any of the others') analysis, based on whatever assumptions he (or they) made, since you're unable to do your own? We still want to know the magnitude of the forces involved. So far you've not given even the slightest evidence they're anything but insignificantly small.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »

The calculations for YOUR hypothesis shouldn't be hinged on "globularist" misinterpretations of physics.  Do your math, according to your understanding of physics, and we can all check together if your predicted results differ from reality.
My hypothesis is within the globular context. If I didn't hinge on globluarist misinterpretations of physics, I'd have a flat earth with no uneven wear on railroads and we'd be done with this conversation. If you can't define your own model, how do you know if you even believe in it?

Already answered. It's in the quote block you included (highlighted below, in bold red, in case you missed it). Please actually read the responses and quit dodging the question.

What experiment?

No, you aren't.
Ok I'm glad we all finally agree that strings don't change how inertia works.

Seriously? The post where you said it is still there.

Here it is, QFT:
Yes, but why would it overwhelmingly be in the direction against the rotation of the earth?
So you now agree then that I didn't say it would be in one direction, but instead in the direction against the rotation of the earth?

For the record, I said you were the only one that mentioned inertia in the block of text that you quoted and were responding to. You still haven't shown where anyone (but you) denies that inertia exists for objects in contact with the ground. Please don't bother trying, since that was only an attempt at diversion, anyway.
I quoted where they said that already. This is getting tiresome, if you aren't going to read the posts in the thread, why should I go out of my way to requote them just for you to ignore them yet again?

*Sigh*

For the same reason it will cause a deflection in a direction the same as the rotation.

The Coriolis effect on earth is the deflection of a ballistic object (one affected only by gravity) to the right with respect to the direction of travel in the northern hemisphere. Deflection "to the right" is eastward for objects traveling north and westward for objects traveling south. Eastward is in the same direction as the rotation of the earth.

The reason why this happens was already explained (with calculations!) in this post earlier in this thread.

As it stands, I can't make any calculations because <lame excuses>.

You can't make any calculations, period. If you could, and you thought they supported what you claim, you'd provide them using the same assumptions that went into this assertion:
I see no point to continue discussions with an angry globularist that fails to read what I post, and others have in this thread, but then has the gaul to insult without basis.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Come back when you care about facts and reason, son.

?

realNarcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »

*mic drop*

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »
Some quoted text has been omitted. Click the quote block link immediately below for full context.

My hypothesis is within the globular context. If I didn't hinge on globluarist misinterpretations of physics, I'd have a flat earth with no uneven wear on railroads and we'd be done with this conversation. If you can't define your own model, how do you know if you even believe in it?

Your hypothesis is that a rotating spherical earth would cause uneven wear on railroads, but you don't (or intentionally refuse to) understand the model, so you can't (or won't) make any calculations to support your hypothesis. Ergo, you have no rational basis for the hypothesis.

Apparently you can't find the reference you thought you had, and have no idea how to approach the problem yourself.

Ok I'm glad we all finally agree that strings don't change how inertia works.

Me, too. I think you were just pretending to be confused about that, but at least that's settled.

So you now agree then that I didn't say it would be in one direction, but instead in the direction against the rotation of the earth?

Lol. That remark reminds me of this one:
Quote from: Robert McCloskey
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I agree that you're confused. I do not agree that the direction of the Coriolis force is always (or even overwhelmingly) in the direction against the rotation of the earth. But that's beside the point because you aren't going to do any calculations involving the Coriolis effect on trains, anyway.

I quoted where they said that already. This is getting tiresome, if you aren't going to read the posts in the thread, why should I go out of my way to requote them just for you to ignore them yet again?

You couldn't find them, either? It's good to know that I didn't just overlook them, or, if I did, I wasn't the only one.

I see no point to continue discussions with an angry globularist that fails to read what I post, and others have in this thread, but then has the [gall] to insult without basis.

Since you have no answer when asked why you claim there should be "uneven wear on railroads", abandon the conversation by playing the "angry globularist" card instead. Can't say I blame you.

If you ever do come up with something that might be meaningful on the topic, please show us! Don't worry, I won't be holding my breath until you do.

And, it's been entertaining watching you bob 'n' weave. Even if it is sometimes tedious, it's worth it!

A potshot! Which of us is angry?