LaTeX Support

• 7 Replies

Abelian3Folds

• A Man of Science
LaTeX Support
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
I was searching for the means by which I can make posts incorporating LaTeX equations and found a discussion about the possible implementation of LaTeX in The Flat Earth Society. Was LaTeX support ever successfully deployed?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: LaTeX Support
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »
The jsTex in [] used to work, I don't know if it is at the moment a lot of the forum's being weird for me at the moment (smileys aren't even showing up) but that might just be me. jsTex definitely used to work though.
Test:
[jsTex]\frac{1}{2}[/jsTex]

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
I'll fix this. This likely happened when I performed the clean install upgrade.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Abelian3Folds

• A Man of Science
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »
Hello. I will presume (perhaps incorrectly) that the clean install upgrade was installed. I will also presume that it is now possible to use LaTeX (hopefully rendered via MathJax). What command is used to trigger LaTeX? If my assumptions are incorrect, I sincerely apologize.

Tests:
$\int \frac{x^7-1}{\log{x}} dx$
$$\int \frac{x^7-1}{\log{x}} dx$$
[jsTex]\int \frac{x^7-1}{\log{x}} dx [/jsTex]
[tex]\int \frac{x^7-1}{\log{x}} dx [/tex]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:58:12 PM by Abelian3Folds »

Abelian3Folds

• A Man of Science
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
More Tests
<tex> \int \frac{x^7-1}{\log{x}} </tex>
\[\int \frac{x^7-1}{\log{x}}\]

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. This is a feature I know I really valued, in spite of its costs - along with footnotes. Someone set up a trello board, and I'll start using it. Within a month, let's get up a shared git repo with a gateway to master around peer review of those contributing.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Abelian3Folds

• A Man of Science
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
John Davis, I am not quite sure why such complexity is needed. The simplest implementation of MathJax can be achieved by adding the MathJax script into the head of The Flat Earth Society's HTML pages, where the MathJax code could be either hosted by a free CDN or The Flat Earth Society's own servers. More information on this approach is available at https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/. Assuming The Flat Earth Society uses concrete5 as its CMS, it's possibly even simpler - install the Load MathJax add-on for concrete5 available at https://www.concrete5.org/marketplace/addons/load-mathjax/ (I say possibly because I have no experience with the concrete5 CMS or this add-on).

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
The issue is that that adding another js layer would be worse than processing it server side on separate server. These are features I love, but they have to hold off a minute or two for bigger fish. If it was up to me I would.
Quantum Ab Hoc