Proof of Gravity and the Cavendish Experiment

• 42 Replies
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:51:25 PM »
So it turns out I was wrong.

On the Infidel Guy radio show about a week ago, Reginald Finely suggested that the existence of gravity as a force could be proven by suspending a very massive object and measuring it's gravitational pull with a nearby detector.  I then implied that I didn't think that was possible because gravity was such a weak force.

Well it turns out I was wrong.  After the show, I got an E-mail form William Jefferys, a professor of astronomy and statistics at The University of Texas.  He told me about an experiment called the Cavendish experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_experiment

Apparently, the Cavendish experiment has been used to measure the gravitational pull of small objects since the 1800's.

The set up is a bit more sophisticated then a ball on a string, but not by much.

It involves taking a rod with an iron ball on each end, and suspending it from a very thin string.  Then placing two larger iron spheres nearby, and measuring how much the apparatus rotates.

At very least, this allows you to demonstrate the existence of gravity as a force, and if you assume the Earth to be round, it lets you calculate the value of the gravitational constant, G, if you replace the string with a wire with known torsion properties.

I had always believed that the gravitational constant was measured from celestial observations, but this turns out to be a better (Although still imprecise) way of doing it.

This is a difficult experiment, but not one that is beyond reach of a well-stocked high school lab.  I think this is the most clinching proof I have seen so far that gravity exists, and FE is erroneous.

Response FE'ers?
"The earth looks flat; therefore it is flat."
-Flat Earthers

"Triangle ABC looks isosceles; therefore . . ."
-3rd grade geometry student

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Re: Proof of Gravity and the Cavendish Experiment (I'm seri
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
Quote from: "Max Fagin"

On the Infidel Guy radio show about a week ago, Reginald Finely suggested that the existence of gravity as a force could be proven by suspending a very massive object and measuring it's gravitational pull with a nearby detector.  I then implied that I didn't think that was possible because gravity was such a weak force.

Well it turns out I was wrong.  After the show, I got an E-mail form William Jefferys, a professor of astronomy and statistics at The University of Texas.  He told me about an experiment called the Cavendish experiment.

Apparently, the Cavendish experiment has been used to measure the gravitational pull of small objects since the 1800's.

The set up is a bit more sophisticated then a ball on a string, but not by much.

It involves taking a rod with an iron ball on each end, and suspending it from a very thin string.  Then placing two larger iron spheres nearby, and measuring how much the apparatus rotates.

At very least, this allows you to demonstrate the existence of gravity as a force, and if you assume the Earth to be round, it lets you calculate the value of the gravitational constant, G, if you replace the string with a wire with known torsion properties.

I had always believed that the gravitational constant was measured from celestial observations, but this turns out to be a better (Although still imprecise) way of doing it.

This is a difficult experiment, but not one that is beyond reach of a well-stocked high school lab.  I think this is the most clinching proof I have seen so far that gravity exists, and FE is erroneous.

Response FE'ers?

Well, my impression of FE theory was that gravity existed, but it just didn't apply to earth - OR to be more reasonable that the vast majority of earths "gravity" effects were caused by acceleration and a small remaining amount from whatever mass the flat earth is made from.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:24:12 PM »
I'm listening to your podcast right now- and I have to say, the fact that none of the FE'ers even decided to appear makes the whole thing (the flat Earth thing, this is) hilarious.

I think I can predict the FE response-

"Max is part of the conspiracy. So was Cavendish. And anyone else to helped him."

Well done on the show too. Thoroughly enjoyable.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
Wouldn't Iron be effected by magnetics?
Quote from: BOGWarrior89

I'm giving you five points for that one

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "Wolfwood"

They were lead spheres, not iron, and lead is non-ferrous (not magnetic)

coddy

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 05:23:21 AM »
Quote from: "ArmyJonHall"

They were lead spheres, not iron, and lead is non-ferrous (not magnetic)

A metal does not have to be ferous to be magnetic...nickel and cobalt are also magnetic...
antheman40k was right when he said that Seriously was right when he said that Phaseshifter was right when he said Watttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 07:34:58 AM »

Response FE'ers?

He quite clearly said Iron there...

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »
He quite clearly said Iron there...

My mistake.  I just assumed it was iron.  But it seems like the experiment was done with lead.
-Flat Earthers

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »
Sorry dude, but, from: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8562&highlight=torsion+balance#8562

Quote from: "I"
Yeah, that experiment is pretty stunning. Somebody (maybe you; I don't remember) recently posted a link on this forum to a website about a do-it-yourself torsion balance experiment, in two versions: one with modern materials, and one with materials available to, say, Archimedes. There are videos! The videos are *awesome*. I don't remember what thread it was in, but the link is http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

beast

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 12:54:07 AM »
I'm listening to your podcast right now- and I have to say, the fact that none of the FE'ers even decided to appear makes the whole thing (the flat Earth thing, this is) hilarious.

I think I can predict the FE response-

"Max is part of the conspiracy. So was Cavendish. And anyone else to helped him."

Well done on the show too. Thoroughly enjoyable.

You're completely wrong.  I agreed to take part.  I just never heard anything more about it and was too busy to follow it up myself.  My argument would have been completely different to what you're suggesting and would have pwned all REers everywhere.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 01:23:38 AM »
Quote from: "beast"
You're completely wrong.  I agreed to take part.  I just never heard anything more about it and was too busy to follow it up myself.  My argument would have been completely different to what you're suggesting and would have pwned all REers everywhere.

Whoh whoh whoh, back up on the use of the word 'wrong' there fella. You agreed to take part after the show aired. You can't hit back out at me about that now.

If you ask Reginald Finely nicely he might run another debate for ya. I'm willing to bet Max would be more than keen to do another appearance. Stop hitting out at me. Go and actually do something about it, I'd love to hear an even, moderated debate about this.

beast

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 01:24:50 AM »
Actually I agreed to take place in the show after it was first mentioned on this forum.

beast

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 01:28:12 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6345

omg, I'm right and actually know what I'm talking about.  :shock:

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 01:34:13 AM »

... and then proceeded to make excuses as to why you didn't go on the show when you had the chance. He offered to call you, you could have contacted him through his email, chatted to him through his IRC channel, or if money weren't such a big issue for you, you could have called him. His line was open the entire time during the show.

That aside, if you're still keen on doing a debate you should contact Reginald, not whinge about it here. If he flat out refuses to do it, then you can whinge about it.

beast

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 01:40:35 AM »
Do you honestly want me to quote my own post a couple of posts up?

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 01:58:37 AM »

OMG!

I hope there's going to be a radio debate, as I think it would be really cool. I really wouldn't want to do it myself though, as I haven't been in a live debate since high school, and am much more comfortable debating via forum post as I have time to rewrite my post several times and maybe do some quick web research.
-David
E pur si muove!

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 02:10:41 AM »
Do you honestly want me to quote my own post a couple of posts up?

NO! I want you to contact Reginald Finely, and ask him for the chance to do another debate. When he did his first broadcast about FE with Max he said  he would be more than happy to do it again with an FE'er there.

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 03:01:17 AM »
In case you were actually genuine on contacting Finely, here's his contact information for you in case you were too lazy to follow it up on your own-

Well.. I guess I'll give you all the information you need to listen and participate if you wish.

http://www.thedebatehour.com

The toll-free call in number for US residents is: 888-503-0802

The show will begin @ 8PM ET.

The live listen LINK is here: http://www.thedebatehour.com/listen.m3u

You can interact with us via my stickam video room or my irc chat room.
Stickam room: http://www.stickam.com/profile/infidelguy

for irc participation:
http://www.infidelguy.com/cgi-bin/cgiirc/irc.cgi

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »

... and then proceeded to make excuses as to why you didn't go on the show when you had the chance. He offered to call you, you could have contacted him through his email, chatted to him through his IRC channel, or if money weren't such a big issue for you, you could have called him. His line was open the entire time during the show.

That aside, if you're still keen on doing a debate you should contact Reginald, not whinge about it here. If he flat out refuses to do it, then you can whinge about it.

Are you sure that you are referring to beast rather than someone else?  I do believe everyone here would like to see a debate between Max Fagin and beast.  I concur that beast should contact Finley so a debate can be scheduled.

And it was encouraging that Max got an informative e-mail from a university professor as a result of the show.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 06:45:29 PM »
So... is beast still keen on doing the debate?

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 03:50:54 AM »
According to beast's posts the answer is yes.

It would be much appreciated if anyone (beast, Max Fagin, infidelguy, phaseshifter) who has information of an upcoming debate would post that information when they get it.  Thanks.

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »
I still want to know how FE'ers account for this.  Isn't this evidence that Gravity exists as a force, and applies down here on Earth?
-Flat Earthers

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 02:03:11 PM »
as far as I can tell, yeah lol

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 02:04:43 PM »
I still want to know how FE'ers account for this.  Isn't this evidence that Gravity exists as a force, and applies down here on Earth?

Except for the possibility that the lead could have been manipulated by Earth's magnetic field.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 12:57:37 PM »

I have not looked into this yet, but the magnetism was the first thing that came to mind.  The principle difference in our understanding of the concept of gravity is that I believe that heavy things go downwards while you probably believe they are pulled inwards to the centre of huge objects like the way you imagine the World to be, probably due in some way to the mass of such objects.  Your view is much older than Newton as the globularists of Ptolemy's era had already thought of it as a defense of their theory.  The following by Lactantius is a summary of how the globularist misunderstanding of gravity came into being:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "What course of argument, therefore, led them to the idea of the antipodes? They saw the courses of the stars travelling towards the west; they saw that the sun and the moon always set towards the same quarter, and rise from the same. But since they did not perceive what contrivance regulated their courses, nor how they returned from the west to the east, but supposed that the heaven itself sloped downwards in every direction, which appearance it must present on account of its immense breadth, they thought that the world is round like a ball, and they fancied that the heaven revolves in accordance with the motion of the heavenly bodies; and thus that the stars and sun, when they have set, by the very rapidity of the motion of the world are borne back to the east. Therefore they both constructed brazen orbs, as though after the figure of the world, and engraved upon them certain monstrous images, which they said were constellations. It followed, therefore, from this rotundity of the heaven, that the earth was enclosed in the midst of its curved surface. But if this were so, the earth also itself must be like a globe; for that could not possibly be anything but round, which was held enclosed by that which was round. But if the earth also were round, it must necessarily happen that it should present the same appearance to all parts of the heaven; that is, that it should raise aloft mountains, extend plains, and have level seas. And if this were so, that last consequence also followed, that there would be no part of the earth uninhabited by men and the other animals. Thus the rotundity of the earth leads, in addition, to the invention of those suspended antipodes.  

But if you inquire from those who defend these marvellous fictions, why all things do not fall into that lower part of the heaven, they reply that such is the nature of things, that heavy bodies are borne to the middle, and that they are all joined together towards the middle, as we see spokes in a wheel; but that the bodies which are light, as mist, smoke, and fire, are borne away from the middle, so as to seek the heaven. I am at a loss what to say respecting those who, when they have once erred, consistently persevere in their folly, and defend one vain thing by another; but that I sometimes imagine that they either discuss philosophy for the sake of a jest, or purposely and knowingly undertake to defend falsehoods, as if to exercise or display their talents on false subjects. But I should be able to prove by many arguments that it is impossible for the heaven to be lower than the earth, were is not that this book must now be concluded, and that some things still remain, which are more necessary for the present work. And since it is not the work of a single book to run over the errors of each individually, let it be sufficient to have enumerated a few, from which the nature of the others may be understood."
www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/007/0070075.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Cavendish, I thank you for drawing this to our attention, but you attach more weight to it than I do judging by your conclusion that the Earth is globular because of the Cavendish experiment.  I consider such a conclusion to be a hypothesis requiring multiple other specific opinions which I do not share.  And there is still the question as to whether Cavendish confirms your view of gravity which must show that the experiment works with materials such as lead (or something like plastic or anything that one would presume to have minimal magnetic draw) and then still prove that with respect to such materials their effect upon a suspended object (if they have one) is not magnetism.  

Do you equate magnetism with gravity?

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 12:06:10 AM »
I read the above block of text from sacred-texts.com twice Dionysius, but I'm not grasping the point it is trying to make, or it's relevance to this topic.  Are you arguing in favor of Ptolemy's universe?

Quote from: "Dionysius"
...your conclusion that the Earth is globular because of the Cavendish experiment.

I wasn't saying that.  I realize that demonstrating the existence of gravity does not prove the Earth to be spherical.  What it does do however is put to rest one of the major claims of the FE'ers who believe that things fall due to an "upward" acceleration of the Earth.

As for the effects of the experiment being attributed to magnetism, let me give two reasons why magnetism can't explain what we are seeing:

1.  Lead is magnetically inert.  It does not carry any net electric charge.

2.  The Cavendish experiment provides identical results every time it is performed.  If for some reason the spheres did develop an electric change, it would have to be exactly the same amount of charge every time the experiment is performed, which is unlikely.
-Flat Earthers

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 01:29:05 AM »
A very powerful blow to one of the major disputes here. However, I hope you to come to your full senses, Max.
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
You will submit.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 03:00:47 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. Smammi"
A very powerful blow to one of the major disputes here. However, I hope you to come to your full senses, Max.

Going on his last posts, he's already there, and waiting for the FE'ers to catch up.

This is one of the ultimate bugbears for the FE'ers. It's a consistent, repeatable exercise which produces the same result each time. It does not require overly expensive materials which the government controls (ruling out the too-oft-mentioned conspiracy theory) and any response the FE'ers put forward is easily rebutted by known, observed facts.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 03:38:29 AM »
There;s that or they will just throw an insult at you guys, most FE'ers on here do that, not that it will prove much, other than that they are childish and are wrong to believe in FE.
f you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken apart, if you need to crash then crash and burn you're not alone...

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 07:13:40 AM »

I wasn't saying that.  I realize that demonstrating the existence of gravity does not prove the Earth to be spherical.  What it does do however is put to rest one of the major claims of the FE'ers who believe that things fall due to an "upward" acceleration of the Earth.

I would say all it does is show that the two spheres you're using are gravitationally attracted. I see no reason to infer that Earth must have a gravitational field simply because two spheres of iron do. Just as I see no reason to infer that just because Magnetite is magnetically attractive, the same must be true for Granite, or Flint.
The Earth is not those two iron spheres, and thus shouldn't be expected to share the same properties.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.