List Of Things That Don't Exist To Round Earthers

• 112 Replies

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
Re: List Of Things That Don't Exist To Round Earthers
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
I agree that we can not trust or always believe what our senses are telling us.  There were earlier references to "optical" illusions.  So that eliminates sight as a trustworthy way to perceive the world.  Hearing is very easy to fool.  Everyone has said, " I could have sworn I heard that sound coming from other there." Taste is also a very easy sense to fool. All you have to do is blindfold a person and ask them what they are eating. Our sense of smell is deceived on a daily basis.  Are you really smelling a pine tree hanging from your rearview mirror? Touch is also very easy to fool.  Put your hand on a block of dry ice and tell me it doesn't feel like it burns. And this is just a few examples of how our senses can be fooled. When I was taking my instrument training in flight school.  There was no doubt on earth that you can not trust your senses. Many of a pilot has met their end spiraling into the ground when they refused to believe their instruments. Ignoring your senses when every ounce of your being is giving you different input than your instruments is incredibly difficult.   

Well posted
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

RocketSauce

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
I recently went on vacation to the beach. The ships disappeared as they faded into the distance. However, we have several working theories on why ships disappear mast first. There is the non-euclidean theory. There is the fact that nearby waves appear larger than the distant in actuality larger ship. There is perspective as described by Rowbotham. There is what some opponents have called 'bendy light' or the electromagnetic accelerator. There is simple refraction. The list goes on.

To me, it sounds like you are ignorant to our beliefs and have come here to stomp about, call us foolish and unemployed. In reality, I do work in a field of work in the real (flat) world. I am a software engineer. I was trained in Mathematics and Computer Science.
RE-tards have zero explanation as to why I can stand on a shore at the south tip of Lake Michigan, looking north at a ship sailing away directly to north, disappears from my sight.

They all chime in..."It is disappearing from sight because it is going under the horizon..."

When confronted with the fact that same ship traveling to the east or west of my position along the shoreline of Lake Michigan will remain well in my view for many miles longer than it did when traveling to the north, there is the sound of fucking RE-tard crickets...

OH! OH! OH! Let me Flat Earth Logic this...

And how do you know the distances of the ship in each direction?

*fact*

RocketSauce

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
Anyone of you can come here to the southern tip of Lake Michigan and see quite clearly there are boats in operation along the shoreline of Lake Michigan that are clearly visible when according RE-tard claims they should not be visible.

I refuse to go to the state up north... but How about you go down there and snap some picture! Show us the bouy's show us how far they are away... show us the ships... give us the evidence and prove shut us all down...

By the way... I would also appreciate it if you held up a hand gesture (a single middle finger would due) of some sort so that we can confirm it is not just an image pulled off google.

THANKS!!!

*fact*

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Anyone of you can come here to the southern tip of Lake Michigan and see quite clearly there are boats in operation along the shoreline of Lake Michigan that are clearly visible when according RE-tard claims they should not be visible.

I refuse to go to the state up north... but How about you go down there and snap some picture! Show us the bouy's show us how far they are away... show us the ships... give us the evidence and prove shut us all down...

By the way... I would also appreciate it if you held up a hand gesture (a single middle finger would due) of some sort so that we can confirm it is not just an image pulled off google.

THANKS!!!

Thats what I did.

Check my history! I middle fingered the spacex rocket after it landed!

There is no amount of evidence that will sway someone paid to think a certain way. Get off this shill infested website and find knowledge and spread knowledge away from these telescreens, these monitors that monitor!

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2017, 10:35:05 PM »
If I may repeat what I said earlier in this thread:
If I may summarize this thread:
John attempted to make a list of things that do not exist to round earthers.

He managed to mention exactly one item for this list...which was "5 senses" implying the RE-ers do not use their senses.

Showing otherwise with multiple example he suddenly turned around saying, you cannot trust your senses due to optical illusion and stuff.

the things he failed to do in this thread:
- he failed to give one correct item for the list
- he failed to give one example where we do not use or trust our senses
- he failed to give one example where FE-ers do use their senses

@John
Maybe you should not anticipate much in such threads, otherwise people soon enough will find out what kind of imposter you are.
Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2017, 11:55:48 PM »
To trust our senses or not to trust? That is the question.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

RocketSauce

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »

If your senses could be trusted, no magician would have a job

*fact*

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2017, 07:47:31 AM »

Thusly, the FE/RE debate is futile since none of us can really know for sure.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:29:51 AM by Boots »

RocketSauce

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »

[/quote

Well, it can be known for sure... it's just that the physical evidence of a round earth is not accepted by Flat Earthers, and Flat Earth hasn't provided an equivalent of evidence (that goes beyond a thought experiment) to prove to a RE'r

*fact*

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »

Except we can know for sure.  Just like with a magician, it just requires some education, observation, and logical analysis.  You, too, can confirm that the quarter didn't actually get pulled from your ear!

A little education, observation, and logical analysis can move us right past "it looks flat" to the truth.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:20:16 AM by ItsRoundIPromise »

RocketSauce

« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »

Except we can no for sure.  Just like with a magician, it just requires some education, observation, and logical analysis.  You, too, can confirm that the quarter didn't actually get pulled from your ear!

A little education, observation, and logical analysis can move us right past "it looks flat" to the truth.

You can't see the forest for the trees... Any true FE'r should be well aware of this picture and it's source....

*fact*

54N

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
We have to use them but know their limitations.    My senses can tell hotter from colder but not exact temperature,  I can see an approximate right angle with my bare eyes but not an exact one...   So we have thermometers,  protractors, set squares, theodolites etc to convey accurate information in a way our senses can interpret.

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »
  • Their Five Senses
If all your sense experience, during your entire life, tells you directly that the earth is flat, why would you be so foolish as to ignore it? It would be as if everybody told me that fae existed. It would be foolish for me to believe in fae based off this tertiary evidence.
So you are saying senses never lie.
But your very next next post.
The first of these is an optical illusion, and you can find it discussed within the seminal work of Samuel Rowbotham, Earth: Not A Globe. The second clearly shows a flat horizon.
OH I GET IT. We should always trust our senses when they agree with you, and distrust them when they disagree.
John Davis, being “scientific”

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
The first of these is an optical illusion, and you can find it discussed within the seminal work of Samuel Rowbotham, Earth: Not A Globe. The second clearly shows a flat horizon.

Rowbotham was a literal moron who shoved his fingers in his ears when proven wrong multiple times. e.g. The Bedford Level experiment and the lighthouse experiment. Using him as your source just made your claims less credible.

Also, having skimmed ENAG, nowhere do I see anything that could possibly explain what is happening in that first image. There is a bunch of unfounded nonsense in here though. Do you have a page number?

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »
Could I add an important item to the "List Of Things That Don't Exist To Round Earthers"?

The need to invent totally farcical explanations for so many simply observations.
Sunrises, sunsets and lunar phases might be a few things that everyone sees, yet flat earthers still cannot explain.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
Could I add an important item to the "List Of Things That Don't Exist To Round Earthers"?

The need to invent totally farcical explanations for so many simply observations.
Sunrises, sunsets and lunar phases might be a few things that everyone sees, yet flat earthers still cannot explain.

To be fair, Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation seemed pretty farcical at first as did some of his other theories, some of which did turn out to be farcical. And some of the theories regarding dark energy and big bang cosmology seem kind of farcical and may turn out to be so in the end. No?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:27 PM »

To be fair, Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation seemed pretty farcical at first as did some of his other theories, some of which did turn out to be farcical.
The French were loathe to accept Newton's ideas (what with Newton being English) and Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet) helped to spread Newton's theories in England. This probably did not go down too well in France, with Voltaire being a French exile!

But I fail to see the why my claim about the "need to invent totally farcical explanations for so many simply observations" is at all invalidated by any of this.

Gravitation is certainly well supported by a large amount of experimental work and no-one casts serious doubt on Newton's laws of motion.
These laws are so accurate that the precession of the orbits of the planets was calculated and matched quite closely with measured values, with the only significant deviation being 43 arc seconds per century for the orbit of Mercury.
It took Einstein's GR to show the reason for this.

Newton's ideas about light being "corpuscles" were not accepted at the time when the wave-theory was gaining support but, of course, it turns out that both are true.

Quote from: Boots
And some of the theories regarding dark energy and big bang cosmology seem kind of farcical and may turn out to be so in the end. No?
Possibly, but none of those are relevant to the earth being a Globe.
All of dark matter, dark energy and big bang cosmology was only proposed in the 20th century after Hubble (astronomer, not telescope).

The Globe has been the accepted shape of the earth, at least in Western culture from 300 to 500 BC and in Middle Eastern culture from early in the first millenium AD.
There is no evidence that there was significant support for a flat earth in Europe at any time in the Common Era (AD).
Of course, the Geocentric Globe was accepted till after the time of Copernicus, when the Heliocentric Globe gradually "took over".
In the Islamic world certainly till well into the second millennium AD the Globe was certainly the accepted model, though that may have changed around the time of the Crusades.

All of astronomy from the early Greeks and Ptolemy to Copernicus, Tycho Brahe and Kepler to the modern day is based on and only fits the Globe earth.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2017, 02:06:18 AM »

To be fair, Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation seemed pretty farcical at first as did some of his other theories, some of which did turn out to be farcical.
The French were loathe to accept Newton's ideas (what with Newton being English) and Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet) helped to spread Newton's theories in England. This probably did not go down too well in France, with Voltaire being a French exile!

But I fail to see the why my claim about the "need to invent totally farcical explanations for so many simply observations" is at all invalidated by any of this.

Gravitation is certainly well supported by a large amount of experimental work and no-one casts serious doubt on Newton's laws of motion.
These laws are so accurate that the precession of the orbits of the planets was calculated and matched quite closely with measured values, with the only significant deviation being 43 arc seconds per century for the orbit of Mercury.
It took Einstein's GR to show the reason for this.

Newton's ideas about light being "corpuscles" were not accepted at the time when the wave-theory was gaining support but, of course, it turns out that both are true.

Quote from: Boots
And some of the theories regarding dark energy and big bang cosmology seem kind of farcical and may turn out to be so in the end. No?
Possibly, but none of those are relevant to the earth being a Globe.
All of dark matter, dark energy and big bang cosmology was only proposed in the 20th century after Hubble (astronomer, not telescope).

The Globe has been the accepted shape of the earth, at least in Western culture from 300 to 500 BC and in Middle Eastern culture from early in the first millenium AD.
There is no evidence that there was significant support for a flat earth in Europe at any time in the Common Era (AD).
Of course, the Geocentric Globe was accepted till after the time of Copernicus, when the Heliocentric Globe gradually "took over".
In the Islamic world certainly till well into the second millennium AD the Globe was certainly the accepted model, though that may have changed around the time of the Crusades.

All of astronomy from the early Greeks and Ptolemy to Copernicus, Tycho Brahe and Kepler to the modern day is based on and only fits the Globe earth.

Well I'm not an expert on Newton but I was under the impression that he had some ideas that were quite incorrect. Like alchemy and the like.

Overall my point was that an idea we are not used to has the potential to sound farcical, regardless of whether it's true or not. So the"farcicalness" of an idea doesn't necessarily indicate that it's incorrect.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2017, 03:26:49 AM »
Well I'm not an expert on Newton but I was under the impression that he had some ideas that were quite incorrect. Like alchemy and the like.

Overall my point was that an idea we are not used to has the potential to sound farcical, regardless of whether it's true or not. So the"farcicalness" of an idea doesn't necessarily indicate that it's incorrect.
Yes, Newton was a "man of his day"
Quote from: Wikipedia
English physicist and mathematician Isaac Newton produced many works that would now be classified as occult studies. These works explored chronology, alchemy, and Biblical interpretation (especially of the Apocalypse).
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
After purchasing and studying Newton's alchemical works, economist John Maynard Keynes, for example, opined in 1942 at the tercentenary of his birth that "Newton was not the first of the age of reason, he was the last of the magicians." In the Early Modern Period of Newton's lifetime, the educated embraced a world view different from that of later centuries. Distinctions between science, superstition, and pseudoscience were still being formulated, and a devoutly Christian biblical perspective permeated Western culture.
And there was plenty of controversy at the time about Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.
But, Newton's works should be judged more on its impact on later science.

So, I guess you could that "the 'farcicalness' of an idea doesn't necessarily indicate that it's incorrect."
But, many of the modern flat-earthers' "explanations" are farcical in the sense that:
       they go against well known and understood observations, eg about refraction,
       in many cases, they simply deny observations, eg the South Celestial Pole and day length in Antarctica and
       then just ignore the problem of the directions of sunrises and sunsets.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2017, 04:53:27 AM »

Yes, Newton was a "man of his day"
Quote from: Wikipedia
English physicist and mathematician Isaac Newton produced many works that would now be classified as occult studies. These works explored chronology, alchemy, and Biblical interpretation (especially of the Apocalypse).
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
After purchasing and studying Newton's alchemical works, economist John Maynard Keynes, for example, opined in 1942 at the tercentenary of his birth that "Newton was not the first of the age of reason, he was the last of the magicians." In the Early Modern Period of Newton's lifetime, the educated embraced a world view different from that of later centuries. Distinctions between science, superstition, and pseudoscience were still being formulated, and a devoutly Christian biblical perspective permeated Western culture.
And there was plenty of controversy at the time about Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.
But, Newton's works should be judged more on its impact on later science.

So, I guess you could that "the 'farcicalness' of an idea doesn't necessarily indicate that it's incorrect."
But, many of the modern flat-earthers' "explanations" are farcical in the sense that:
       they go against well known and understood observations, eg about refraction,
       in many cases, they simply deny observations, eg the South Celestial Pole and day length in Antarctica and
       then just ignore the problem of the directions of sunrises and sunsets.

True

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
I agree that we can not trust or always believe what our senses are telling us.  There were earlier references to "optical" illusions.  So that eliminates sight as a trustworthy way to perceive the world.  Hearing is very easy to fool.  Everyone has said, " I could have sworn I heard that sound coming from other there." Taste is also a very easy sense to fool. All you have to do is blindfold a person and ask them what they are eating. Our sense of smell is deceived on a daily basis.  Are you really smelling a pine tree hanging from your rearview mirror? Touch is also very easy to fool.  Put your hand on a block of dry ice and tell me it doesn't feel like it burns. And this is just a few examples of how our senses can be fooled. When I was taking my instrument training in flight school.  There was no doubt on earth that you can not trust your senses. Many of a pilot has met their end spiraling into the ground when they refused to believe their instruments. Ignoring your senses when every ounce of your being is giving you different input than your instruments is incredibly difficult.   

Well posted

No, not well posted. The dry ice analogy is completely wrong. It is burning you. Burning is caused by rapid transfer of heat energy through tissue, either in or out. That applies to both heat and cold. What is incorrect is to define burning as the rapid transfer of heat into tissue. Just because that is the most common method of being burned doesn't make it the sole definition.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

RocketSauce

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
So, that is what you pulled from his post?

Why doesnt that eye roll thing work anymore. Because I'm doing it as hard as I can

*fact*