Columbus Was A Flatist

• 50 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Re: Columbus Was A Flatist
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Luckily I can contact an expert on this particular point and see what the story is. As to the others - Moses and Washington - I find those harder to justify. Moses, sure enough believed it flat. But Washington?

I find this from him on the subject:
Quote from: 'Charles Johnson'
It's the Church of England that's taught that the world is a ball," he argues. "George Washington, on the other hand, was a flat-earther. He broke with England to get away from those superstitions.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
Another thing is that untl I came across this website was that I had never heard of such a thing as a "flat earth",  much less that any one would even think of a "flat earth" and even less that there was such a thing as "The Flat Earth Society."

Every person with whom I have talked has the same opinion. I just wonder where all these "FE's" are coming from ?
Of course I don't have a degree in psychology so I don't have the slightest idea.
Neither do all the persons with whom I have talked. Just average people.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
Luckily I can contact an expert on this particular point and see what the story is. As to the others - Moses and Washington - I find those harder to justify. Moses, sure enough believed it flat. But Washington?

It's the Church of England that's taught that the world is a ball," he argues. "George Washington, on the other hand, was a flat-earther. He broke with England to get away from those superstitions.

I  think Washington didn't break away for that reason. I understand he was still an active member of the Episcopal Church.

Chorus:

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Another thing is that untl I came across this website was that I had never heard of such a thing as a "flat earth",  much less that any one would even think of a "flat earth" and even less that there was such a thing as "The Flat Earth Society."

Every person with whom I have talked has the same opinion. I just wonder where all these "FE's" are coming from ?
Of course I don't have a degree in psychology so I don't have the slightest idea.
We've been here for quite a while. You can't squelch truth.

I  think Washington didn't break away for that reason. I understand he was still an active member of the Episcopal Church.

I wonder what the episcopalians official stance on the matter was at the time.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
Probably the same as the Church of England from which it originated.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 05:21:28 PM »
I don't know about George Washington being a "flatist", but if he was, this scene in a movie might explain it.
Discussing the  "Stamp Act", which led to the American war of Independance.-
Thomas Jefferson says "I would rather sink Great Britain in the Atlantic Ocean......"
George Washington (Who had been a Colonel in the Colonial MIlitia) says that "I don't know much about the ocean . My military experience was on land". (Flat Land ?)
If you are interested in this, check out the movie on the internet "Williamsburg The Story Of A Patriot", a movie which is shown at the Visitor Center in Colonial Williamsburg.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:36:13 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »

The Episcopal Church and the United Methodist Church share the "Articles Of Religion" , (statements of their beliefs, with minor differences). Both originated from The Church Of England.
There is nothing in them regarding flat or round earth.

Having been a member of both denominations, I have never met a Minister or Parishoner who thought that the earth was flat.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:37:57 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »

We've been here for quite a while. You can't squelch truth.

With all due respects, Mr. Davis,  say "Flat Earth" and "Tell that to a Marine".
Their response would be interesting.

Chorus:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »

Sure, plenty of documentation for that in Flat Earth, By Christine Garwood where she quotes Johnson and many other Flat Earth sources.
And you could, of course, guarantee that they would be a true and unbiased account of history.
Though, dyed-in-the wool flat earther Eric Dubay, does not seem to think that George Washington was a dyed-in-the wool flat earther:
And who could boubt the credentials of Eric Dubay?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »
I don't know about "was at the time", but look at:
An Open Letter to Episcopalians on the Issue of Homosexuals and the Church
By Dr. J. Carl Ficarrotta
A Parishioner of Grace and St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
What About Tradition?
I am sympathetic to the idea that unless we have reason to think otherwise, traditions are deserving of our respect. They provide us important connections to our past, promote much-needed stability in our conceptual schemes, and can carry an accumulated wisdom of the ages, hard-won through centuries of trial and error. But of course, traditions can also carry some of the folly of the ages, and often have.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Indeed, some changes in our traditions plainly have been for the better.
I am assuming that no Episcopalian wants to return to burning heretics at the stake, inquisitions, crusades, a belief in a flat Earth, the state controlled by the church, approval of slavery, . . . . . . .

From: Do justice, An Open Letter to Episcopalians on the Issue of Homosexuals and the Church
maybe there was a "belief in a flat Earth" within the Episcopalians sometime.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Washington and Jefferson, and especially Jefferson, were said to be  "scientifically minded."

Regardless of who is or was a "flatist" , that  doesn't change the fact that the earth is a globe.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:34:42 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
An an amateur historian, I am Very Curious as to how Johnson knew this about a dispute aboard Columbus's ships or the relative bellefs of the crew vs the captain.
Columbus's own journal is silent on this topic and I know of no other eyewitness's account.
As a matter of fact, the real names of the three ships are a mystery -  the assigned names of Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria come from a very imaginative description written more than 50 years after Columbus's death.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
An an amateur historian, I am Very Curious as to how Johnson knew this about a dispute aboard Columbus's ships or the relative bellefs of the crew vs the captain.
Columbus's own journal is silent on this topic and I know of no other eyewitness's account.
As a matter of fact, the real names of the three ships are a mystery -  the assigned names of Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria come from a very imaginative description written more than 50 years after Columbus's death.

Thanks, Cartog......Those were just the names we were taught in Elementary School.
I don't think my teachers would have known about that sailor's slang for "Pinta".  LOL

Surely there might have been some records in the Ship's Log about any disputes ?

Are there any records of the real names of the ships ? .....Or even how many ships there were ?

I am an amateur historian, too......But I am afraid this is one area of unfanmiliarity for me .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:04:21 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »

The Episcopal Church and the United Methodist Church share the "Articles Of Religion" , (statements of their beliefs, with minor differences). Both originated from The Church Of England.

Having been a member of both denominations, I have never met a Minister or Parishoner who thought that the earth was flat.
Actually, I was episcopalian, and a flatist at the time.

As to how he knew - I agree, it's a puzzle. I'll keep digging into Johnson's interviews and see if he sheds any light on this.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »

Actually, I was episcopalian, and a flatist at the time.

As to how he knew - I agree, it's a puzzle. I'll keep digging into Johnson's interviews and see if he sheds any light on this.

Actually , I was a very  young boy in a  very small  Episcopal Church parish at the time, and a very old member of a very large UMC parish now for many years.
But I never met a flatist.....any where.....in or out of church.....up until now and this forum.
I guess I have just led a very sheltered life. :-(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:13:19 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »

There are some who question that Moses might or might not have been a flatist. Based on possibly his past experiences in Egypt....Not sure about Egyptian beliefs in a round or flat earth ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:24:09 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
Are there any records of the real names of the ships ? .....Or even how many ships there were ?
Well, you could always ask everyone's favorite Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Mar%C3%ADa_(ship)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni%C3%B1a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinta_(ship)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
So the answer to the question is that Columbus was NOT a Flatist. Question answered.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
So the answer to the question is that Columbus was NOT a Flatist. Question answered.
Where did you get that nonsense from?

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »
Same place you got yours. Someone else said it with no evidence, so it must be correct!

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
Same place you got yours. Someone else said it with no evidence, so it must be correct!
https://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Scolumb.htm