The New Star Trek

• 93 Replies

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
Re: The New Star Trek
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »
Oh, those people also especially hate DS9 which as much as I love TNG, I think DS9 is the best.

Especially in the pale moonlight.... Damn that was an amazing episode for so many different reasons. If y'all haven't watched much DS9, I recommend that. Season 6 I believe, but it can be found by name.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 02:31:06 PM »
It's kinda interesting to look at the reaction because Star Trek has a pretty tightly moderated continuity compared to most things. Several series all in the same universe, references back, a whole EU devoted to continuity... so for the fans who're into that, something that is potentially at odds with that continuity probably would bug them.
It's just weird to me because, well, Doctor Who nerd, and the DW EU is utterly bonkers and leaves the Doctor with three possible parents over the course of one book and people forget alien invasions happen every other week. You get fandoms like that were continuity might be a fun puzzle for uber-fans, but beyond that it's just common elements and references and familiarity telling a whole variety of stories, which I think's how most people engage with media. Then there are people who enjoy the sense of one continuous narrative and don't like losing that sense of immersion when, to use one complaint I saw, drones pop up in a two-second snippet of the finale when there was a whole TNG episode about how remote repair drones don't exist. Which, eh, I'm not going to tell people how they can and can't enjoy things, it's a valid reason to like something, easy to see the appeal of a centuries-spanning story. There are just people that can't tell the difference of 'not to their taste' and 'objectively terrible.'

Discovery's not perfect, but after the uneven S1, S2 was so good.
Also the shorts.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »

I am surprised no one has mentioned Picard, I might actually have to get on demand for that.

There is a Picard thread. https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=77224.0

Most of the new Trek haters love DS9. They don't much care for Voyager or Enterprise.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »
Enterprise Season 3 with the Xindi was cool I thought, but the series ended way too soon. They clearly had more stories they wanted to tell so the finale felt super rushed and TRIP!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( The only thing I thought was odd was one time this weird alien ship approached The Enterprise, not talking so what does Captain Archer say?? 'Hi! We are humans from a planet called Earth. We are sending you its co-ordinates now!' I mean who the F would tell a stranger with unknown intentions that? lol

DS9 was totally awesome. On par with TNG. It had great chemistry with the characters such as Quark/Odo, Miles/Bashir etc.

Voyager had great potential. But the series literally went down as soon as Captain Janeway let her hair down. It's ending was also rushed and the whole time travel crap has been done to death (also wouldn't the people from the 29th century go back and prevent it due to their upholding of the 'temporal prime directive')?

The only Trek I don't like is the new movie ones. It's not Canon, not in the same universe so what am I supposed to care about what happens with the characters?

I saw the fan made movie Star Trek Renegades. I thought it had a pretty good story

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

The New Star Trek
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2019, 01:57:31 AM »
I agree. It should have died. Star wars as well. I think SJW and woke material is a symptom of an already dying franchise or business similar to if you see tumors then the patient is already dead. STD is dying. Star Trek will not allow the Axanar timeline. Besides not really sure what they would do for a story. The tech is too advanced for post STNG and the past story lines never follow the history anyway. It needs to die for something new to be born.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2019, 02:14:12 AM »
I agree. It should have died. Star wars as well. I think SJW and woke material is a symptom of an already dying franchise or business similar to if you see tumors then the patient is already dead. STD is dying. Star Trek will not allow the Axanar timeline. Besides not really sure what they would do for a story. The tech is too advanced for post STNG and the past story lines never follow the history anyway. It needs to die for something new to be born.

Watch to the end of the second season. They tied up all the loose ends, made it canon and for its third season can truly do what it wants to do without messing up the time line. The SJW crap has also taken quite a step back and is not so in your face

Technology has to be somewhat 'better' looking than TOS in the past because well do you really expect every Star Trek set in that time line to use analogue clocks? lol

Remember in the Original Series in the 60s, having Uhura on the cast was 'progressive'. Having her kiss on screen, damn that must have made a few people uncomfortable!

Star Trek Discovery is actually awesome now. Thank God we have streaming services because most of these shows could not exist without them. The age of TV and time slot viewing is dead. Either no one can organise to watch it when its on or they 'pirate' it to watch when it's convenient

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »
It's ridiculous to complain about SJW stuff in Star Trek. Star Trek has always been about the best future.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 12:53:58 AM »
It's ridiculous to complain about SJW stuff in Star Trek. Star Trek has always been about the best future.

I don't mind it. It's when they pretend they are being the 'first' trying to rewrite history and show off how 'woke' they are

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-03/star-trek-introduces-transgender-nonbinary-characters/12626094

We get a non binary character in Trek. Old news. Next Gen has done it. Next gen addressed a lot of societal issues without any garbage writing.

That article also brags about the lead character being the first black woman to lead a series...

Sisko was black, and a captain
Jane way was a woman and a captain

Both were highly likeable, competent and well written

'Michael' is not a leader and one with few redeeming qualities. Thoroughly unlikeable too

Star Trek has always been progressive. The difference I guess is these were written so well they were seen as 'normal'. Too subtle for CBS to notice I guess so they write this 'in your face' trash to make sure people see the wokeness

I thought the 2nd season and its finale helped get this to 'appear' more canon but what they did with the Klingons is unforgivable lol

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 06:59:14 AM »
They took all the fun out of the Klingons.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2020, 06:44:06 PM »
Just watched the 1st ep of season 3. I liked it! Lots of fun fight scenes, and ANDORIANS.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »
Are none of you watching Discovery this time? grrr

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »
Are none of you watching Discovery this time? grrr

I will be. But as Netflix us jacking up their prices I quit with them. Instead of paying every single month I'll pay for a few odd months a year when something good comes on and binge what's on then.

Im waiting for a few more episodes to drop

I know it's not much that they jacked It up but still... The service is not worth $200 a year.

My YouTube suggestions is full of videos making fun of Discovery.... But I can't watch them yet either! Grrr

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
I watch everything on fmovies. lol

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2020, 07:01:42 PM »
I'm going to wait til they're all out and then binge watch them like Jesus intended.

How is this season?  Better or worse than the last?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2020, 07:13:37 AM »
Only one episode out so far, but I liked it. Lots of exciting crashing and fighting, plus they've brought back Andorians. Andorians are always fun!

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »
Only one episode out so far, but I liked it. Lots of exciting crashing and fighting, plus they've brought back Andorians. Andorians are always fun!

I'm halfway through the first episode and like some of it but am annoyed that so far she hasn't just said "I'm from the past!" and cleared up all the misunderstandings and nonsense all at once.  I mean... in the Trek universe that's like saying you came from the next town over.

Maybe she will say it when I start watching it again but I got annoyed at how she seems to think this is some kind of unbelievable secret or something just to ratchet up the tension.

His ship is cool though.

Cautiously optimistic. :)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2021, 01:24:02 AM »
Had to fire up Paramount+ to watch the new miniseries of The Stand.

Easily the worst editing I've ever seen.  I'm pretty sure they shot the whole thing with the intent to tell the story chronologically and some producer at the very end forced them to hack it up to make a more character centric series.

There are maybe a dozen different actresses who like exactly the same.  I strongly suspect it might be the same actress for a dozen roles.  Mrs. Crouton says this isn't so.  Mrs. Crouton is joining paramount+ in gaslighting me!

I wouldn't say I hate it.  I like it enough to watch it to the end but I think the previous miniseries was better.  What I really liked about the previous one was illustrating the slow unravelling of civilization.  This version technically does that but it jumps around so much that it neuters the impact.

Also watching s3 of Discovery.  Too early to form an opinion yet.  I'm on the second episode.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »

I watched all three and enjoyed it, I think people invest too much time in dissection and not enough in seeing it as it is. Bottom line it's just fantasy entertainment if it pushes a few good buttons play along if it hits a bad one stop watching.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2021, 07:18:26 PM »

I watched all three and enjoyed it, I think people invest too much time in dissection and not enough in seeing it as it is. Bottom line it's just fantasy entertainment if it pushes a few good buttons play along if it hits a bad one stop watching.

Haven't watched season 3 of Discivery yet but that show is infinitely better than 'Star Trek Picard' or is it 'Star Trek Soji'....

Know your place

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2021, 04:58:18 AM »
I care as much about Star Trek Discovery as the writers of the show do.

Which is to say, I like one or two details and damn the rest.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2021, 06:42:25 AM »
I care as much about Star Trek Discovery as the writers of the show do.

Which is to say, I like one or two details and damn the rest.

Third season was batter than the rest but still, ugh.

So most of the starships in the entire galaxy blows up, and only Behrman has the idea to check the timestamps on the black boxes to figure out where it came from.  And there is like, only one of them and she has to steal it.

Know what season 3 is? It's the plot of Idiocracy. Everyone in the future is stupid because it takes smart people from the past to point out
 obvious solutions.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2021, 03:34:19 AM »
Just finished season 3.  Decent.  Not legendary.  But in my opinion far from a crime against humanity. 

I'm baffled by all the hate this show gets.  I think all trekkies are self hating trekkies.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2021, 03:43:10 AM »
Just finished season 3.  Decent.  Not legendary.  But in my opinion far from a crime against humanity. 

I'm baffled by all the hate this show gets.  I think all trekkies are self hating trekkies.

The first season sucked because it was yet another prequel no one wanted and while trying to tell us it was 'canon', clearly wasn't with how the Klingons were portrayed. You have to remember there are many Klingon/Human mixed species characters in the future and you have to imagine that a human managed to have love and sexual relations with one of 'those' to give us the character of 'Belanna Torres' in Star Trek Voyager lol

But I think it did more or less find its feet. Season 2 got us back on the rails more and season 3 I haven't watched yet but seems by all reports to be even better (and finally set in a future beyond the Voyager timeline)

Star Trek Picard had a lot of promise but damn, what a waste of potential and what a shit storyline, hateable characters and a dark turn the Star Trek universe apparently took. But, to accept it, I consider it part of the shitty JJ Abrams universe. Not the 'prime' one we are used to seeing. Wont even bother watching season 2 of that mess

Know your place

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2021, 03:53:50 AM »

The conclusion I've come to is that enjoying a show is less about it having no flaws, and more about not caring about the flaws it does have. It all depends on what you look for going in: as far as Trek goes, I like fleshed-out characters, fun jaunts mixed in with darker takes, realism jettisoned for good tales with maybe a dash of moralizing thrown in for good measure. Discovery focuses almost completely on the ongoing arc, which has never been part of Star Trek to this extent, and sacrifices the strengths of the original for it. You're never going to get a Duet, an Inner Light, a Best of Both Worlds, a Visitor... because all of those require a self-contained character study.
New Trek characters don't have personalities, they have storylines. Nothing is allowed to happen to them or be a part of them unless it's feeding into an ongoing plot. That isn't as harsh a criticism as it sounds, a lot of shows do that, but it just doesn't work as part of the Trek formula for me, and apparently for a lot of people.

I enjoyed season 2 when I watched it, but when I finished it I felt no incentive to continue with the show because it may as well be an anthology at this point. Every character is defined by whatever the season's arc is, so every character may as well be someone totally new each season. From what I've heard of S3, it does most things better, but the bits it does poorly are the things I look for in a show.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2021, 04:08:40 AM »

The conclusion I've come to is that enjoying a show is less about it having no flaws, and more about not caring about the flaws it does have. It all depends on what you look for going in: as far as Trek goes, I like fleshed-out characters, fun jaunts mixed in with darker takes, realism jettisoned for good tales with maybe a dash of moralizing thrown in for good measure. Discovery focuses almost completely on the ongoing arc, which has never been part of Star Trek to this extent, and sacrifices the strengths of the original for it. You're never going to get a Duet, an Inner Light, a Best of Both Worlds, a Visitor... because all of those require a self-contained character study.
New Trek characters don't have personalities, they have storylines. Nothing is allowed to happen to them or be a part of them unless it's feeding into an ongoing plot. That isn't as harsh a criticism as it sounds, a lot of shows do that, but it just doesn't work as part of the Trek formula for me, and apparently for a lot of people.

I enjoyed season 2 when I watched it, but when I finished it I felt no incentive to continue with the show because it may as well be an anthology at this point. Every character is defined by whatever the season's arc is, so every character may as well be someone totally new each season. From what I've heard of S3, it does most things better, but the bits it does poorly are the things I look for in a show.

That was the awesome thing about Star Trek and why I can watch it again and again. Just pick a random episode and go! With Star Trek Picard for example - no one is going to just sit and watch a random episode because the entire season is essentially a very long pilot episode.

Star Trek was great having self contained stories but still having an overarching thread tying the seasons together. While Star Trek Picard and Discovery may be a part of some streaming services library - I just dont see people feeling at all compelled to watch an episode more than once - even if they did like it. With so many shows competing for our eyeballs, people aren't going to invest in what amounts to a season long episode.

What really lost me with Star Trek Picard was when this Borg Ship had a room that could transport anyone half way across the galaxy. I get they wanted to 'easter egg' a Star Trek Voyager episode but a) That's not how their technology could have possibly worked at all and b) Would this not be an 'instant win device' for the Borg? Why reserve it for a Borg Queen needing to escape if things got tough when you could just send legions of Borg drones or the Borg assimilation virus to any world instantaneously? So dumb.....

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2021, 04:10:09 AM »
I do agree that a focus on the season long arc has hurt the potential for the truly exceptional individual stories.  I can think of many such episodes on TNG.  I can't quite think of any on Discovery.

I see a similar trend in South Park since they moved to season long arcs.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:24 AM »
I see a similar trend in South Park since they moved to season long arcs.

So I guess no more 'OMG They killed Kenny!' gags

Once he's dead now, he's dead  :'(

(I confess I only ever watched it on/off many years ago)

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »
Internet trekkies have been complaining about ST since Voyager, but they really got mad at Enterprise. Now they complain about every episode of the new ST. Personally, I don't think any of the new shows are so terrible, maybe they're not the best Trek ever, but I still enjoy watching.

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
What really lost me with Star Trek Picard was when this Borg Ship had a room that could transport anyone half way across the galaxy. I get they wanted to 'easter egg' a Star Trek Voyager episode but a) That's not how their technology could have possibly worked at all and b) Would this not be an 'instant win device' for the Borg? Why reserve it for a Borg Queen needing to escape if things got tough when you could just send legions of Borg drones or the Borg assimilation virus to any world instantaneously? So dumb.....
That's always been the thing about the show. They're willing to sacrifice a lot if it just means moving the pieces into place for whatever story it is they want to tell. Voq/Tyler served no actual purpose in Discovery (seriously, what were the meaningful ramifications of that twist?). Saru gets turned from the interesting idea of a sentient prey species to generic Dude With Anger Issues. There's a certain something I've heard of a plot point from season 3 (two if you count Georgiou). Lorca does absolutely nothing to indicate he's a worse person than Actually Genocidal Torturer Empress but we're meant to be invested in the squabble between the monster and the guy that's either a well-intentioned extremist or just another asshole. And over on Picard, the Borg Cube could be cut and the season wouldn't be affected. Seven becomes Queen, and it has no ramifications. Every potential reclaimed Borg dies for no reason, including Hugh. The supposed follow-up to TNG begins with the Federation committing genocide on what TNG established as a sentient species because of the actions of a few individuals (and don't give me that 'Because the Romulans manipulated them!' because it takes more than a few infiltrators to not just execute that, but to alter everyone's morality to prevent even a Maquis style opposition).

They have a few moments they want to get to, and everything else on the way is secondary and varies from rushed to completely out-of-place. Whether or not you can look past that comes down to personal taste, if those moments work well enough for someone then that's great, but to me too much of it feels like the writers just don't care, and if they don't then why should we?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2021, 07:50:10 AM »
Finished watching season 3 of Discovery. Finally a New Trek that's back on the rails and delivering a solid show. Season 1 was a bit of a mess thanks in large part to the liberties the writers tried to make with the established canon. Season 2 was good and I liked how they ended it so it didn't mess with the canon (eg the super cool ship that could go anywhere in a blink but sorry Voyager we don't know how to get you home) but season 3, Fantastic. Apart from the rubber faced retarded Klingons, the production values of this show has been top notch and can I just say SO GLAD THEY DIDN'T USE JJ ABRAMS STUPID ROMULAN STAR EXPLODING BS PLOT LINE!

Regarding the new Pike series they want to do, the problem is now knowing the 'future', I don't care much for getting invested. It's like being told that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalkers dad before watching those movies. Reading the last chapter of a book before the beginning. We also know Pikes ultimate fate so there's that to contend with

When you compare the way Discovery looks vs the new Picard show, Star Trek Picard really does look cheap and amateur. Seriously who was responsible for that space battle in the last episode. Just copy/paste shitty looking flat 2D computer generated ships everywhere. Reminded me of Babylon 5. Ugly mess. TNG/DS9/Voyager looked better because they looked like actual models and the space battles that DS9 had were friken awesome.

Know your place