Another mass shooting...

• 2582 Replies

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Another mass shooting...
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »

Well I'm relieved.  For a minute there I thought they were going to do fucking nothing.  But we did get the thoughts and prayers.  So, problem solved.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - The onion

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1823016659
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2018, 11:23:18 AM »
I don't believe all the young people are special snowflakes. What I do see is that the ones that are snowflakes (ever generation has them) are finding that being a snowflake gets rewarded in some way on social media (check out tumblr, srsly).

Few people that I know use Tumblr, it's not a big thing. I'm sure there are many people who do use it, but I just don't know that many of them. The people that do use it are usually teenage girls checking out fanart and pictures of hot guys.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/us/florida-shooting.html

And he's one of Trump's "very fine people on both sides".  Fucking great.  We can just about expect a presidential pardon for him.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »
Here is the thing with social media though

It gives unrealistic expectations of 'real life'

You 'follow' someone on social media - you see only what they want to share with the world. It's not just images that get filtered, but their life. Young people cant discern the difference. As such, they grow up having unrealistic expectations and naturally, when real life doesn't play out the way they think, they get stuck, depressed, angry etc

Social media also doesn't teach people how to be rejected. No one can handle it these days. Also I remember in school, if you wanted to talk to people or your friends, you actually had to make an effort. And you talked to them much more often and had much more things to talk about.

People are actually 'friending' people they have never even met before. 'Back in my day' you wanted to make a friend, you actually approached a real human being (no, not arealhumanbeing lol). From early on rejection was wired into your brain.

Personally, I believe if you are out in a real social situation, the phone should not be used for anything other than taking a call. You see it everywhere you walk now, (well I do), people using their phones for the 'social media' while out with the friends. The internet has become 'another life' which appears to be taking precedence over the real life

In a nod to PC fans everywhere, there was someone in a workplace that made the news how 'unfriending' a colleague constituted 'workplace bullying'

Social media can be a good tool, but it can also be disastrous

Before social media, you had a real circle of friends. You only had to compete for the attention of only a few dozen people. Since social media opened everyone in the world to everyone else, you are now competing for the attention across hundreds of millions of people. Some people may use social media as an acknowledgement of how successful and important they are.

There is no single answer. People lash out for many different reasons. I do believe the internet age, while leaping our knowledge orders of magnitude faster than ever before, has come with some unique problems.

Personally, I find the Angry Ranting on this board to be highly therapeutic. Not because I'm angry, but because it's so damn funny and in a world being strangled by political correctness, it's awesome there is a place to chill out and be a dick

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »

And he's one of Trump's "very fine people on both sides".  Fucking great.  We can just about expect a presidential pardon for him.

I think that would be political suicide. Trump has thrown many friends under the bus in the past to save himself, I doubt he will pardon this prick. But you could be right.... Trump is unpredictable right. Perhaps he will not only be pardoned but be given a job in the White House?

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #276 on: February 15, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »

I think that would be political suicide. Trump has thrown many friends under the bus in the past to save himself, I doubt he will pardon this prick. But you could be right.... Trump is unpredictable right. Perhaps he will not only be pardoned but be given a job in the White House?

I'm half joking and mostly just venting rage. I can't handle it when politicians offer thoughts and prayers when they're the only people that can do anything about this.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #277 on: February 15, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »
They're more likely to feel ashamed, angry or unimportant. Do you know how common depression and high levels of stress are now?

I have often believed that social media has actually disconnected people from each other. The 'connection' we get from social media is faux.

It has devalued life to nothing more than a screen.

I would say these two are very much intertwined..

Though there are tons of people that view themselves as victims etc. Some people may not even want that, but fall for it because the media is shoving up their ass 24/7 (I can only speak for the states on this)..

Though the biggest issue is the fact humanity is being removed and social media is one of the biggest contributors to that.

Seriously, I don't care if they are kids or adults....if you remove their humanity to a person, killing them would be no different that killing someone in a video game.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
I don't believe all the young people are special snowflakes. What I do see is that the ones that are snowflakes (ever generation has them) are finding that being a snowflake gets rewarded in some way on social media (check out tumblr, srsly).

Few people that I know use Tumblr, it's not a big thing. I'm sure there are many people who do use it, but I just don't know that many of them. The people that do use it are usually teenage girls checking out fanart and pictures of hot guys.

According to the internet there are between 30 and 50 million users of Tumblr, but you are missing the point. How many users do you think Reddit has? That is snowflake headquarters for angry men (who do almost all of the mass shootings in the US).  I'm not sure why you are so defensive about social media. This website is social media. We're all glued to the internet.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »

According to the internet there are between 30 and 50 million users of Tumblr, but you are missing the point. How many users do you think Reddit has? That is snowflake headquarters for angry men (who do almost all of the mass shootings in the US).  I'm not sure why you are so defensive about social media. This website is social media. We're all glued to the internet.

You make valid points about the polarization and alienation that social media can cause,  but what makes the USA different when it comes to school shootings? 
We have our fair share of alienated angry white males in Australia,  we also have our share of Jihadi extremists,  but we don't have the mass shootings that you guys in the US have. 

While I'm generally pro gun,  the main point of difference seems to be the ready availability of guns in the USA.   

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
In other countries that don't have mass shootings, they kill lots of people in schools or subways with knives or machetes.  In some countries, they just run over people with trucks, or explode bombs.  Don't act like it is only the US that mass kills people. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
In other countries that don't have mass shootings, they kill lots of people in schools or subways with knives or machetes.  In some countries, they just run over people with trucks, or explode bombs.  Don't act like it is only the US that mass kills people.

True,  but the USA seems to have more than it's fair share.   I'm asking why?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »

True,  but the USA seems to have more than it's fair share.   I'm asking why?

I'd like to know also but we don't have a lot of research on it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02/gun-violence-public-health/553430/

Thanks NRA!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »
Maybe all the poisonous wildlife you have takes care of the would be mass murderers.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
Maybe all the poisonous wildlife you have takes care of the would be mass murderers.

LOL,  for some reason, it's mostly German tourists that get attacked by crocodiles?   No idea why that is?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »
All the nature programs about Australia show the stuff that will kill you. Like some fucking spider that sits at the bottom of a swimming pool in a little bubble of air waiting for you to step on it and then DIE within minutes? Also, a lovely little octopus that will kill you. A poisonously cute duck billed beaver thing? WTF? lol

I wonder if you have the super divisive news media over there, like we do here? Also, how much money is in politics there, not the exact amount but do you have wealthy industries manipulating your politics the same way we do?  They like us to be angry at each other so we're too busy shooting each other to pay attention to what they're doing.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
All the nature programs about Australia show the stuff that will kill you. Like some fucking spider that sits at the bottom of a swimming pool in a little bubble of air waiting for you to step on it and then DIE within minutes? Also, a lovely little octopus that will kill you. A poisonously cute duck billed beaver thing? WTF? lol

I wonder if you have the super divisive news media over there, like we do here? Also, how much money is in politics there, not the exact amount but do you have wealthy industries manipulating your politics the same way we do?  They like us to be angry at each other so we're too busy shooting each other to pay attention to what they're doing.

Most of those wildlife shows are just beat-ups.  We like to scare the tourists with them,  but I imagine you guys tell the same stories about grizzly bears, rattle snakes and alligators.

News media is much the same,  we have the Murdoch controlled tabloid stuff, and sensationalist tv current affair shows,  that treat news as entertainment.   We have a pretty good public broadcaster in the ABC.   

There is always money in politics, and we are no different,  I don't think it's as "in your face"  like it is with the super-pacs, and attack ads you have.

I think a lot of people get their news from facebook and twitter these days, rather than the traditional  6:00 tv news.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »
I wonder how it is that you guys turned out so differently on guns. I guess you never had them enshrined in a constitution.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »

Apart from one person dying from a redback spider recently (only the females are dangerous and rarely ever leave their web) No one had died from a spider bite in over 40 years.

Only a few dozen people spanning decades have been killed by a snake

Only twerps swim in crocodile infested waters

Those nature shows are beat ups indeed

Know your place

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2018, 10:00:40 PM »
Australia is the most dangerous place in the world.  If you go there, you will die a horrible death.  I saw it on TV. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »
Australia is the most dangerous place in the world.  If you go there, you will die a horrible death.  I saw it on TV.
:( ;) :( Sure, and I guess that you're so thankful that you have so many of those M15's over there - we're told that they are such safe weapons :( ;) :(.

But, sure come over and have a swim and see our beautiful sea-creatures like:
  • Box Jellyfish. Claim to Fame: The “world's most venomous creature”. ...
  • Blue-Ringed Octopus. Claim to Fame: One shot of its venom is lethal enough to kill 25 humans within minutes. ...
  • Marbled Cone Snail. ... 'nuff said
The last two are such pretty creatures too.

Don't believe what you read in that sensationalist media, The world's 10 deadliest animals - and they're all Aussies

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »

Just checked that tumblr thing, first time on there in my life (probably). First few posts I see:

Holy crap, that's about as close to virtual cancer as you can get.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2018, 01:05:07 AM »

Just checked that tumblr thing, first time on there in my life (probably). First few posts I see:
<snip>
Holy crap, that's about as close to virtual cancer as you can get.

In the words of Douglass Adams,  "Mostly Harmless"

In other unrelated news,  the Australian Prime Minister announced a "Bonk Ban"  apparently it's no longer ok for politicians to have sex with their office staff. 

Yes, he is serious.  Everyone else is sort of gob smacked that it needed to be said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-15/turnbull-slams-joyce-affair-changes-to-ministerial-standards/9451792

Pezevenk

« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2018, 02:05:40 AM »
You 'follow' someone on social media - you see only what they want to share with the world. It's not just images that get filtered, but their life. Young people cant discern the difference. As such, they grow up having unrealistic expectations and naturally, when real life doesn't play out the way they think, they get stuck, depressed, angry etc

Social media also doesn't teach people how to be rejected. No one can handle it these days. Also I remember in school, if you wanted to talk to people or your friends, you actually had to make an effort. And you talked to them much more often and had much more things to talk about.

People are actually 'friending' people they have never even met before. 'Back in my day' you wanted to make a friend, you actually approached a real human being (no, not arealhumanbeing lol). From early on rejection was wired into your brain.
See this is why I say you don't understand the most recent generations. None of these things are really true. About your first point: while it's true that the life of people they follow can work as a role model for their life, as it always used to be the case with celebrities, unless you are really really young or really really dumb you don't think it's actually how life is supposed to be. It's no different than how it's always been with celebrities.

Also what you don't understand and I've said it again is that they don't use social media as a substitute for personal contact. You still have to make an effort to talk to people and no one thinks people they don't know but friended on facebook are their friends. Not many people actually meet someone through social media without having met them in real life. And I don't understand why you think you can't be rejected through social media.   

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2018, 04:08:44 AM »
This weeks winner in the category,  "I can't believe how stupid this is" 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/the-gop-is-making-it-easier-for-mentally-ill-people-to-buy-guns-they-have-a-point/?utm_term=.0a5c32fb33d1

Seriously,  the Republicans passed a law removing  restrictions on mentally ill people buying guns?

Hate to tell you guys,  but that's seriously fucked up.   Disclaimer:  I'm pro gun,  but, you've got to be kidding, I wouldn't give one to a nutter.

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/964332932751085568
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:11:15 AM by Rayzor »

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2018, 04:41:13 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/the-gop-is-making-it-easier-for-mentally-ill-people-to-buy-guns-they-have-a-point/?utm_term=.0a5c32fb33d1

Seriously,  the Republicans passed a law removing  restrictions on mentally ill people buying guns?

Hate to tell you guys,  but that's seriously fucked up.   Disclaimer:  I'm pro gun,  but, you've got to be kidding, I wouldn't give one to a nutter.

The vast majority of us are pro gun.  The vast majority of us also are for reasonable restrictions on who gets what guns.  These two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/637/words-you-cant-say/act-two-3

The problem is we have a gun club that holds an obscene amount of power over our political process who refuses to ever give an inch on the subject.

NAZA

« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:38 AM »

So you think the SSA should be able to, without due process, strip citizens of their constitutional rights because someone can't balance their checkbook?

Social Security beneficiaries with psychiatric disabilities who are assigned a money manager for their disability benefits would be reported to the FBI’s background check database as people ineligible to purchase firearms

What next?  Give the IRS power over free speech?  Oh wait, obama already tried that.

Trump Derangement Syndrome at its finest.

Let's ignore the 5th and 14th amendments so we can deny people's 2nd amendment rights, for political reasons.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »

So you think the SSA should be able to, without due process, strip citizens of their constitutional rights because someone can't balance their checkbook?

Social Security beneficiaries with psychiatric disabilities who are assigned a money manager for their disability benefits would be reported to the FBI’s background check database as people ineligible to purchase firearms

What next?  Give the IRS power over free speech?  Oh wait, obama already tried that.

Let's ignore the 5th and 14th amendments so we can deny people's 2nd amendment rights, for political reasons.

And right on cue, a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

NAZA

« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:53 AM »

Social Security beneficiaries with psychiatric disabilities who are assigned a money manager for their disability benefits would be reported to the FBI’s background check database as people ineligible to purchase firearms

And right on cue, a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

So yes?

The SSA should have the power to deny constitutional rights of US citizens without due process.

What other rights do want abolish besides the 2nd, 5th, and 14th amendment?

And also if this is such a good idea, why did obama wait 8 years to do it?

Pezevenk

« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »
Oh no... Not the NAZI tard again...

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)