Another mass shooting...

• 2582 Replies

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: Another mass shooting...
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
How about enforcing current laws PLUS new laws, such as prohibiting sale of semi automatics?
I'm all for common sense gun laws, but I don't think that semiautomatics should be banned outright.  However, I can see a case for limiting/banning high capacity magazines.

What's a use for semiautomatics that makes up for the risk?

The allowence of quick follow up shots in case the furst round didn't stopped the threats or in the case of multiple threats.

How many people can a gunner kill with a pistol or a shotgun and how many can he kill with a semi automatic rifle before he is neutralized/out of ammo?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »
Banning pistols might actually go a long way toward reducing homicides.

I would like to see evidence.
Pistols seem to be used in quite a few cases of homicide and also gang related violence. Pistols can be easily concealed while it'd be more difficult to conceal a long arm. Thus, if gangsters can't hide their weapon, they may be less likely to openly carry one reducing homicides in the process.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this also. The Swiss were mentioned a while back. I wonder if the those military firearms are all rifles.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
Banning pistols might actually go a long way toward reducing homicides.

I would like to see evidence.
Pistols seem to be used in quite a few cases of homicide and also gang related violence. Pistols can be easily concealed while it'd be more difficult to conceal a long arm. Thus, if gangsters can't hide their weapon, they may be less likely to openly carry one reducing homicides in the process.

Has any country had their homicide rate go down because they banned handguns?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
How about enforcing current laws PLUS new laws, such as prohibiting sale of semi automatics?
I'm all for common sense gun laws, but I don't think that semiautomatics should be banned outright.  However, I can see a case for limiting/banning high capacity magazines.

The allowence of quick follow up shots in case the furst round didn't stopped the threats or in the case of multiple threats.

How many people can a gunner kill with a pistol or a shotgun and how many can he kill with a semi automatic rifle before he is neutralized/out of ammo?

Pistols ARE semi automatic and in fact, the third largest mass shooting was done with ten round magazines and pistols, 60% of all mass shootings are done with pistols, the Navy yard shooter used a shotgun.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »

Pistols ARE semi automatic and in fact, the third largest mass shooting was done with ten round magazines and pistols, 60% of all mass shootings are done with pistols, the Navy yard shooter used a shotgun.
So 60% of mass shootings are carried out by pistols, yet banning pistols wouldn't reduce homocides? That sounds fishy.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »

So 60% of mass shootings are carried out by pistols, yet banning pistols wouldn't reduce homocides? That sounds fishy.

Because it has never been observed in other countries. We have the highest number of guns in the world yet we don't even make the top ten list. In fact guns sales have gone up while violent crime (including murder) has gone down. I'm not saying it's because we have so many guns but I am saying that this goes against the myth of more guns equal more crime.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »
Because it has never been observed in other countries. We have the highest number of guns in the world yet we don't even make the top ten list.
To which top ten list are you referring?  Mass shootings?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »
Here we can see the average american citizen [3:56]:

Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2017, 04:26:08 AM »

Because it has never been observed in other countries. We have the highest number of guns in the world yet we don't even make the top ten list. In fact guns sales have gone up while violent crime (including murder) has gone down. I'm not saying it's because we have so many guns but I am saying that this goes against the myth of more guns equal more crime.

This is like saying "We smoke more cigarretes than [insert third world country] but we live longer" and then, after someone discovers a cure to all heart diseases you say "cigarette sales have gone up, but life expectancy has also increased" and use that as an argument for how smoking doesn't reduce life expectancy.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2017, 04:28:52 AM »

Wait, what do you call the non-semi automatic handguns? My English is failing me.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2017, 04:53:20 AM »
Wait, what do you call the non-semi automatic handguns? My English is failing me.
I think that's only single-action revolvers. All other handguns use the recoil to chamber a new bullet (and double-action revolvers chamber the bullet with the press of the trigger, before firing).
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Pezevenk

« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2017, 05:26:45 AM »
I think that's only single-action revolvers. All other handguns use the recoil to chamber a new bullet (and double-action revolvers chamber the bullet with the press of the trigger, before firing).

Yeah, that's the one. Revolvers. Semi automatics and high capacity magazines aren't very useful for self defense and you can hunt just fine without them. Like seriously, who hunts with an AK-47? On the other hand, they make killing a lot of people much easier. 

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2017, 05:33:23 AM »

Don't forget muzzle loaders. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2017, 05:34:13 AM »

Yeah, that's the one. Revolvers. Semi automatics and high capacity magazines aren't very useful for self defense and you can hunt just fine without them. Like seriously, who hunts with an AK-47? On the other hand, they make killing a lot of people much easier. 

What if you have to defend yourself against a lot of badguys all at once?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:53 AM »

Yeah, exactely, for example against a few thousands angry, bad people at a country concert?!

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2017, 05:37:12 AM »
Because it has never been observed in other countries. We have the highest number of guns in the world yet we don't even make the top ten list.
To which top ten list are you referring?  Mass shootings?
DD asked for murder rates in general. However, statistically speaking, we don't even make the top ten in mass shootings either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1s&v=cHOfyQVAJ7Q

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2017, 05:40:47 AM »

Yeah, exactely, for example against a few thousands angry, bad people at a country concert?!

I don't think you or I should belittle the worst mass shooting in American history.  If you want to discuss this important subject without standing on people's graves, I would be more than happy.

« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2017, 05:42:32 AM »

This is like saying "We smoke more cigarretes than [insert third world country] but we live longer" and then, after someone discovers a cure to all heart diseases you say "cigarette sales have gone up, but life expectancy has also increased" and use that as an argument for how smoking doesn't reduce life expectancy.

That would only be true if guns have been proven to be a direct link to crime rates and have no beneficial purpose to it. Neither of which is true.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:43 AM »

I don't think you or I should belittle the worst mass shooting in American history.  If you want to discuss this important subject without standing on people's graves, I would be more than happy.
Yeah you're right, let's respect all the people hurt at the vegas shooting by buying semi-automatic guns.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »

How common are wild west shootouts in modern America?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »

That would only be true if guns have been proven to be a direct link to crime rates and have no beneficial purpose to it. Neither of which is true.

But they are proven to have a direct link to crime rates... And cigarettes still have a "beneficial purpose" to them...

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2017, 05:52:03 AM »

Yeah you're right, let's respect all the people hurt at the vegas shooting by buying semi-automatic guns.

Perhaps you should find some childrens graves to preach off of, while you are at it?  I thought that was the favorite place for bleeding heart liberals to push their political adgendas.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2017, 05:55:31 AM »
Your answers only proof your cognitive dissonance.

Member of the BOTD

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2017, 05:56:45 AM »

How common are wild west shootouts in modern America?

Cowboys are not known for their semi-autos, now are they?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2017, 06:00:09 AM »

At least I don't try to soap-box by pointing at dead childred, you sick f*ck.  Are you sure your name is not Piers Morgan?

« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »

Pistols are a sub-catagory of handguns. There are single and double action revolvers and flintlock pistols. Most modern handguns are either semi auto or double action which elumate semi auto fire.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2017, 06:03:12 AM »

At least I don't try to soap-box by pointing at dead childred, you sick f*ck.  Are you sure your name is not Piers Morgan?
As I said.

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2017, 06:04:29 AM »

What are you talking about? Pistols are perfect for self defense. Ifthe badguy wasn't stopped by the first round or you have multiple attackers then you have the ammo to sustain yourself in the fight. It's the same reason why police have the very same pistols ypu want to ban.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:12 AM »

As I said.

So, your name is Piers Morgan?

« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »

But they are proven to have a direct link to crime rates... And cigarettes still have a "beneficial purpose" to them...

Please provide your "proof" and there is no benefit to cigarettes.