Another mass shooting...

• 1596 Replies

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
Re: Another mass shooting...
« Reply #1500 on: September 01, 2019, 01:10:58 AM »
Just because you want to kill, doesn't make you a terrorist. 
If I kill 20 women one at a time, am I a terrorist or a serial killer?

The distinction I draw is that the terrorist intentions is not actually to kill random people.  That's just a means to an end.  Their intentions are to harm society in general for the purpose making a group fearful. 

Example 1:  The El Paso shooter.  Thought Mexicans were taking over so he shot a bunch of latinos to make that part of society afraid.  Terrorism.

Example 2:  Golden State Killer.  Just randomly killed and raped people for the yucks.  No intention of influencing society.  Not terrorism.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #1501 on: September 01, 2019, 01:30:34 AM »

Your kindergartners learn how to protect themselves from shooters.

When I was a young school kid we used to practice closing the curtains and hiding under our desks
to protect ourselves from Russian Nukes.

It sucks knowing we could be injured or killed at random.
Like car wrecks, plane crashes, lightning, you name it.

I don't think anyone is in favor of random murder.
Blaming the NRA is just voicing frustration. We are all frustrated.

Weapons have been a key defining component of human culture from the start.
That will never change. That genie will never go back into the bottle.
I have no idea why people blame the NRA instead of the broken mental healthcare system.

I am open to hearing original ideas that could actually help mitigate the problem.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:32:35 AM by Bullwinkle »
RE can never win this argument.
FE can't be disproved.

Lorddave

« Reply #1502 on: September 01, 2019, 01:39:36 AM »

Your kindergartners learn how to protect themselves from shooters.

When I was a young school kid we used to practice closing the curtains and hiding under our desks
to protect ourselves from Russian Nukes.

It sucks knowing we could be injured or killed at random.
Like car wrecks, plane crashes, lightning, you name it.

I don't think anyone is in favor of random murder.
Blaming the NRA is just voicing frustration. We are all frustrated.

Weapons have been a key defining component of human culture from the start.
That will never change. That genie will never go back into the bottle.
I have no idea why people blame the NRA instead of the broken mental healthcare system.

I am open to hearing original ideas that could actually help mitigate the problem.

Several of these shooters are not mentally ill.  They just hate.

We blame the NRA because they hold alot of influence ($$$) in politics to prevent any change in gun laws that make it harder to get a gun.  Which is the point.

Guns don't kill people, people do.  Which is why we wanna stop people from getting guns.  Why make killing easier?

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #1503 on: September 01, 2019, 01:40:19 AM »
Texas is a pretty violent place it seems.
There is an expression in Greek, which I guess exists because of all the old westerns set in Texas, which translates to something like "they made the place like Texas" or "Texas happened", or something like that, referring to something chaotic and often violent happening. Guess it's still accurate.
It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Who wants to be a firefly and who wants to be a blue whale?
-Sceptimatic

Please do not jizz to win an argument.
-Crutonius

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from.
-Inty (again)

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #1504 on: September 01, 2019, 01:49:13 AM »

I would suggest that anyone who hates enough to perform random murder is mentally ill.
FE can't be disproved.

Pezevenk

« Reply #1505 on: September 01, 2019, 01:55:05 AM »

I would suggest that anyone who hates enough to perform random murder is mentally ill.
Yes but you can't really fix that with better mental healthcare. You can fix a lot of things I guess but lots of these people would fly under the radar.
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #1506 on: September 01, 2019, 02:04:40 AM »

We blame the NRA because they hold alot of influence ($$$) in politics to prevent any change in gun laws that make it harder to get a gun.

You do realize that the "NRA" is simply fellow citizens you happen to disagree with, right?
FE can't be disproved.

Lorddave

« Reply #1507 on: September 01, 2019, 02:39:42 AM »

You'd be wrong.
That's like saying anyone who loves others unconditionally is mentally ill.
Hate is an emotion.  Its normal and therefore not a mental illness.

We blame the NRA because they hold alot of influence ($$$) in politics to prevent any change in gun laws that make it harder to get a gun.

You do realize that the "NRA" is simply fellow citizens you happen to disagree with, right?

Trump is a fellow citizen I happen to disagree with.  Doesn't make him any less of an asshole nor his actions any less damaging.

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #1508 on: September 01, 2019, 02:58:03 AM »

You'd be wrong.

Trump is a fellow citizen I happen to disagree with.  Doesn't make him any less of an asshole nor his actions any less damaging.

I'm sayin', love or hate, if your emotions make you slaughter folks your head is fucked up.

FE can't be disproved.

Lorddave

« Reply #1509 on: September 01, 2019, 03:03:12 AM »

You'd be wrong.

I'm sayin', love or hate, if your emotions make you slaughter folks your head is fucked up.
Nope.

I used to think so too but it doesn't.  They know what they're doing. They are of clear mind.  They just hate someone/feel threatened that murder is the only solution they have.

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #1510 on: September 01, 2019, 03:19:06 AM »

You'd be wrong.

Nope.

I used to think so too but it doesn't.  They know what they're doing. They are of clear mind.  They just hate someone/feel threatened that murder is the only solution they have.

OK, you had me goin' for a while.   ;D
FE can't be disproved.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #1511 on: September 01, 2019, 04:06:12 AM »
Texas is a pretty violent place it seems.
There is an expression in Greek, which I guess exists because of all the old westerns set in Texas, which translates to something like "they made the place like Texas" or "Texas happened", or something like that, referring to something chaotic and often violent happening. Guess it's still accurate.

I remember an expression.... 'Only in America!' It was used whenever something that absolutely boggled the mind in its WTF'ness that people would say it. People still do when it comes to these mass shootings that sadly happen several times a week. The Canuks north of the border also have private gun ownership. Why aren't they randomly killing everyone in sight?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:45:37 PM by Shifter »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1512 on: September 01, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
The NRA is a lobby group that represents gun manufacturers. Lobby groups are people! Yeah, they're people. They are people who make money by stirring up fear that the evil liberals are going to take guns away after a shooting.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #1513 on: September 01, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »
Vox.com: Texas’ gun laws were loosened one day after shooter killed 7 in Odessa.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/1/20843797/texas-shooting-gun-laws-loosened-odessa-el-paso-greg-abbott

Finally someone takes some action.  The problem is that toddler didn't have a gun to defend herself.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #1514 on: September 02, 2019, 03:46:49 AM »
Interesting polling from Quinnipiac   https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/us/us08292019_uxqk93.pdf/

Looking at all the specific gun policy proposals that voters were asked about, support ranges from very
strong to split:
• 93 – 6 percent support for universal background checks;
• 82 – 16 percent support for requiring a license to purchase a gun;
• 80 – 15 percent support for a “red flag” law;
• 60 – 36 percent support for a ban on assault weapons;
• 46 – 49 percent on a mandatory buyback of assault weapons.
On gun licensing and both questions regarding assault weapons, there are huge gender gaps. This
includes a double digit gap on each question between white men and white women. In each instance, both
women and white women much more strongly support these three gun policies, including a bare majority of
support for the mandatory assault weapon buyback.
 A 54 percent majority of voters think that mental illness is a bigger cause of mass shootings than the
availability of guns, while 37 percent say gun availability is a bigger cause. But 54 percent of voters also think
that stricter gun laws would help to decrease the number of mass shootings in the United States, while 43
percent don’t think so. About four in ten voters are worried about being a victim of a mass shooting themselves

Almost 50% in favour of a buyback of assault weapons,  that's getting close to a tipping point.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #1515 on: September 02, 2019, 04:37:35 AM »
Does anyone else get a laugh about gun nutters being trolled by people who vocally claim that AR stands for Assault Rifle,  and all the gun nutters go nuclear,  describing in great detail the history of the Armalite company and why those ignorant liberals know nothing.

Meanwhile the libs are ROTFL

Lorddave

« Reply #1516 on: September 02, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
I assumed AR meant Assault Rifle.  Huh...

Pezevenk

« Reply #1517 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:40 AM »
I thought it meant Angry Ranting.
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #1518 on: September 02, 2019, 05:40:38 PM »
I assumed AR meant Assault Rifle.  Huh...

Doh!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1519 on: September 03, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/business/walmart-ends-handgun-ammo-sales/index.html

Walmart ends all handgun ammunition sales and asks customers not to carry guns into stores

New York (CNN Business)Walmart on Tuesday announced it will reduce its gun and ammunition sales, one month after more than 20 people were killed in a mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. Walmart also pressured Congress to enact gun safety measures.
The company, America's largest retailer, said it will stop selling handgun ammunition and "short-barrel rifle ammunition," such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, that can also be used on assault-style weapons after selling all of its current inventory. Walmart (WMT) will also stop selling handguns in Alaska, the only state where it still sells handguns. And Walmart will request that customers no longer openly carry guns into its 4,700 US stores, or its Sam's Club stores, in states that allow open carry.
"It's clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo to employees on Tuesday.
However, Walmart will continue to sell long barrel deer rifles and shotguns and much of the ammunition for those guns. The company sells guns in about 3,900 stores. Walmart will also continue to allow concealed carry by customers with permits in its stores.

McMillon said Walmart's changes were prompted by the El Paso, Texas, shooting, as well as recent mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and Midland and Odessa, Texas.
The measured steps announced Tuesday are the latest changes Walmart has made to its gun policies in recent years as mass shootings continue in America.
Walmart attempted again to balance customers who own guns and are "part of our customer base" with safety in stores, Dan Bartlett, Walmart executive vice president of corporate affairs, said on a call with reporters.
"We feel like we are striking a responsible balance between the interests of law-abiding citizens who are exercising their legal rights and the safety concerns of our associates and customers," he said.

This is a pretty big deal, I think. There will be a lot of pissed off gun nuts. I feel sorry for the workers in the stores.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #1520 on: September 03, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/business/walmart-ends-handgun-ammo-sales/index.html

Walmart ends all handgun ammunition sales and asks customers not to carry guns into stores

New York (CNN Business)Walmart on Tuesday announced it will reduce its gun and ammunition sales, one month after more than 20 people were killed in a mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. Walmart also pressured Congress to enact gun safety measures.
The company, America's largest retailer, said it will stop selling handgun ammunition and "short-barrel rifle ammunition," such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, that can also be used on assault-style weapons after selling all of its current inventory. Walmart (WMT) will also stop selling handguns in Alaska, the only state where it still sells handguns. And Walmart will request that customers no longer openly carry guns into its 4,700 US stores, or its Sam's Club stores, in states that allow open carry.
"It's clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo to employees on Tuesday.
However, Walmart will continue to sell long barrel deer rifles and shotguns and much of the ammunition for those guns. The company sells guns in about 3,900 stores. Walmart will also continue to allow concealed carry by customers with permits in its stores.

McMillon said Walmart's changes were prompted by the El Paso, Texas, shooting, as well as recent mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and Midland and Odessa, Texas.
The measured steps announced Tuesday are the latest changes Walmart has made to its gun policies in recent years as mass shootings continue in America.
Walmart attempted again to balance customers who own guns and are "part of our customer base" with safety in stores, Dan Bartlett, Walmart executive vice president of corporate affairs, said on a call with reporters.
"We feel like we are striking a responsible balance between the interests of law-abiding citizens who are exercising their legal rights and the safety concerns of our associates and customers," he said.

This is a pretty big deal, I think. There will be a lot of pissed off gun nuts. I feel sorry for the workers in the stores.

I was in a Walmart in China. No guns or ammunition were available for sale. No one cared and not a big deal.

Pezevenk

« Reply #1521 on: September 03, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
There's Walmart in China?
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1523 on: September 03, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
Not sure what that has to do with Walmarts in the US.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #1524 on: September 03, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
Not sure what that has to do with Walmarts in the US.

If China can have Walmarts without guns and everyones happy, the US should as well  8)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1525 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
Yeah, well China would have dealt with the NRA a long time ago. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/nra-slams-walmart-after-retailer-cuts-gun-and-ammo-sales.html

NRA slams Walmart for caving to ‘anti-gun elites’ after retailer ends handgun ammo sales

The National Rifle Association slammed retail giant Walmart on Tuesday after the company announced it would end sales of handgun ammunition in its stores.

“The strongest defense of freedom has always been our free market economy. It is shameful to see Walmart to succumb to the pressure of the anti-gun elites,” the influential gun rights group wrote in a statement.

“Lines at Walmart will soon be replaced by lines at other retailers who are more supportive of America’s fundamental freedoms,” the statement said.

The NRA, ran by multi millionaires, likes to pretend anyone who wants any kind of control are "elitists". Unfortunately there are lots of people in the US who believe this shit. I know people, I am fucking kin to people, who will not shop at Dick's Sporting Goods after they removed guns from their stores.

Also, we don't have a free market economy.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #1526 on: September 03, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
Yeah, well China would have dealt with the NRA a long time ago. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/nra-slams-walmart-after-retailer-cuts-gun-and-ammo-sales.html

NRA slams Walmart for caving to ‘anti-gun elites’ after retailer ends handgun ammo sales

The National Rifle Association slammed retail giant Walmart on Tuesday after the company announced it would end sales of handgun ammunition in its stores.

“The strongest defense of freedom has always been our free market economy. It is shameful to see Walmart to succumb to the pressure of the anti-gun elites,” the influential gun rights group wrote in a statement.

“Lines at Walmart will soon be replaced by lines at other retailers who are more supportive of America’s fundamental freedoms,” the statement said.

The NRA, ran by multi millionaires, likes to pretend anyone who wants any kind of control are "elitists". Unfortunately there are lots of people in the US who believe this shit. I know people, I am fucking kin to people, who will not shop at Dick's Sporting Goods after they removed guns from their stores.

Also, we don't have a free market economy.

I dont get it. There are far more guns than people. There is more ammunition in the US to kill everyone in the world several times over including any wildlife that would be legit hunted. What are people shooting at that requires them to need to continously buy rounds and rounds of ammunition and why do they need said ammunition at places like Walmart?

Nice to see that there are people such as yourself that are enlightened regarding the issue of guns in America

Nice of the NRA to call 'anti gun' people elite. The Antonym for elite (perhaps 'pro gun') are words like inferior, low class, poor etc. I guess that's what they think of their members. I guess people like that are easier to brain wash

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #1527 on: September 03, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1528 on: September 03, 2019, 05:34:24 PM »
Also, Walmart will still sell guns and ammo, just not every kind of gun and ammo.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #1529 on: September 08, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »
ADVICE FOR 'MURICANS!

“If you realise someone has a gun for protection, and they’re not expecting you — announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you’re getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night,”

So children with parents that have guns for 'protection' need to somehow announce they are getting water in the middle of the night (perhaps go to the toilet too), without spooking the shit out of their parents should they wake up from the announcement a bit confused and groggy from their sleep. What kind of a screwed up living is this?

Came from this story
https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/mom-accidentally-shoots-daughter-after-she-surprises-her-at-home/

Not a mass shooting but because a girl came home from college early, the mum shot her.

Yep! Guns are sure keeping families safe!