Why does The Flat Earth Society acronym become "google"?

• 167 Replies
Why does The Flat Earth Society acronym become "google"?
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »
Sometimes I want to write here the society's name in short, so I write the acronym, but it becomes google.
Why is that?

Rushy

Re: Why does The Flat Earth Society acronym become "google"?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
It's because a group of members broke off to make their own site, and that site happens to just be named TFES and so the admin of this site wanted to make sure no one can actually link to it or even casually refer to it.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »
TFES

https://www.tfes.org

Seems a bit petty. It just makes people more curious about the other site and thus get more people wanting to look

Does the other site have the same stick up their arse about this site?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
No. But they do think they're better.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »
They don't filter the name out but they do have a surplus of butt sticks.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »

They are wrong. They do not have İntikam. In fact the fools banned him because they were threatened by his intelligence and that his devotion to the flat earth is orders of magnitude above theirs.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:58 PM »

They are wrong. They do not have İntikam. In fact the fools banned him because they were threatened by his intelligence and that his devotion to the flat earth is orders of magnitude above theirs.
Agreed!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:10:31 AM »
This seems appropriate, 

Life of Brian get's funnier every time I watch it.

TFES   Spliitters!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:13:01 AM by Rayzor »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »
It's because a group of members broke off to make their own site, and that site happens to just be named TFES and so the admin of this site wanted to make sure no one can actually link to it or even casually refer to it.

You forgot to mention the spam.  You remember, where people on that site would come here to post links to their site all over in hopes of drawing people away?

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 07:37:02 AM »
Thank you.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Incorrect, as jroa points out, the name was spammed throughout our site which as they knew was against the rules of the time (and I imagine always). Once it has been cleaned up by those who did it, (along with the rest of the spam, profile images, etc) the filter will likely be removed.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »
And a new one added for Heiwa's website plugs, yes?

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
Ok but what about the lemon filter?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 03:02:08 AM »
Ok but what about the lemon filter?

lemons are evil and should be censored. 

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
We will never stop sensoring lemons. After all, they are just demons with an l.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
Sure, sensor the ever-loving crap out of them. I want to know what they are up to as much as the next guy. But let's give them a voice again!

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
I wouldn't advise bothering with the Other Site. It's less interesting than this one, and features several posters this forum has been far better off without: Tom Bishop (nobody can make a lame argument like him, even after all these years), Parsifal (smug autistic guy with a greasy beard who talks to everyone as if they were software developers) and Thork (asshole).
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »
Leave Doctor Bishoop out of this. 

Rushy

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »

You forgot to mention the spam.  You remember, where people on that site would come here to post links to their site all over in hopes of drawing people away?

This literally never happened.

Incorrect, as jroa points out, the name was spammed throughout our site which as they knew was against the rules of the time (and I imagine always). Once it has been cleaned up by those who did it, (along with the rest of the spam, profile images, etc) the filter will likely be removed.

Again, this literally never happened, and I know this because your censor is easy to bypass, and if any supposed "link spam" were happening, your extremely incompetent way of handling link censorship wouldn't have put a dent in it.

So now we have two total lies:

1. There was link spam.
2. Your popsicle-sticks-and-superglue string literal censor could actually do anything about it.

www.tfes.org

Oh geez, the censor definitely stopped a spam campaign in its tracks, as you certainly remember happening, and you definitely didn't invent a magical spam campaign in your own mind along with a menagerie of other True Facts™.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:58:41 AM by Rushy »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
I seem to remember Parisifal or Pizza or someone admitting this was indeed the case last time we brought this up.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »
I can't say I recall a spam campaign either.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »
It's a bit irrelevant. Certainly you at least remember the avatar spam campaign. Maybe I'll dig up the post where it was admitted, but even now, you guys show up posting a link that is against our rules, circumventing the filter put in place to enforce the rule.

Yes, it would be simple to enforce a more strict filter using regex that takes into account bbcode. That is aside the point. The members and management of your site cannot even follow the simplest most basic rule put into place directly due to their own actions.

Rushy

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
We did have an avatar campaign, but your censorship makes very little sense against links and words when had but a single thread on the subject and an avatar campaign. Some members did place the link in their signatures, but I would hardly call that spam.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »
It doesn't matter what you would call it. You still find yourself unable to follow a simple rule while enjoying the use of our services.

The site in question spammed against our rules to promote their site using avatars, signatures, and content. We placed a filter in place to stop this, and to this day members from your site still come and purposefully circumvent it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:04:19 AM by John Davis »

Rushy

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
It doesn't matter what you would call it. You still find yourself unable to follow a simple rule while enjoying the use of our services.

Take a look at my post history and you'll find that my "use" of your services for the past four years is almost entirely limited to correcting confusion about the site breakup. Much of such confusion being spread by you yourself. My total posts since the site split don't even go beyond an entire page.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
I don't see how that is relevant or matters. You are using our services. You find yourself unable to follow the simplest rules.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
Does the other site have the same stick up their arse about this site?
Of course not. In fact, many people from this site decided to set up accounts on ours to "spam" links as well. One notable example would be SCG. We think there's nothing wrong in linking to other websites as long as it fits within the substance of a discussion. A quick search for references to theflatearthsociety.org on our forum yields some 10 pages of results (half of them about how the site is down and/or hacked)

I seem to remember Parisifal or Pizza or someone admitting this was indeed the case last time we brought this up.
I suspect you're referring to the time you lambasted me over my sig (which was only "spammed" underneath my posts on a technicality), which was officially the reason for the "google" filter in the first place. I admitted that I had agreed to remove it out of good will (not that it was against the rules - it was not), and that I didn't do it afterwards, because I forgot - this was around the time when I worked 12-hour days, and admittedly things went under my radar here and there.

I pointed out that you could have simply poked me and reminded me to do it, but by that point you were too busy decrying us terrorists.

Certainly you at least remember the avatar spam campaign.
Sure, that's a thing that happened (whether or not it was "spam" will be a topic of some contention, but at least we can agree we're referring to an event that actually happened). Those involved have largely admitted their mistake and cleaned up. I also offered to help you clean up any instances of text links that you believed were unjustified, but, again, instead of taking me up on the offer, you just threw insults around.

Most importantly, however, you're missing the pertinent point here. Your filter does not affect us in any way. We're growing at a steady pace, through our own efforts. Whether or not you litter your website with broken links is your prerogative, and we generally only stop by when you try to lie about us (which I guess is fairly frequent). The main party affected is your users, and it's your users who tend to bring this matter to S&C these days. If you're going to make your userbase's life (very, very slightly) harder because you hold a grudge against a handful of avatars from four years ago, it only reflects on you.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:17:04 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Rushy

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
I don't see how that is relevant or matters. You are using our services. You find yourself unable to follow the simplest rules.

I was making a point by proving how, if such a link campaign existed, your censor wouldn't have stopped it. Now that I've proven your censor can't do what you supposedly designed it to do in the first place, maybe you can finally remove it so your posters such as the OP aren't bothered by it.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
"We never spammed your site"
"Oh yeah, that time. Well I'd hardly call that spam."

"We never attacked your site"
"Oh yeah, that time. Well that was my friend using my computer."

I'm pretty sure your will to ignore basic rules reflects on you and nobody is fooled by your rhetoric when you come here. You say I could simply remind you to follow the rules, but most often when you link your site it is in a thread that is discussing that very rule. You are purposefully breaking the rules, and asking me to remove said rules while breaking them. The only users that seem to care are you guys.

So I doubt I'll be removing that filter any time soon.

If you'd like to discuss reunification, we'd happily give you guys your own subdomain which you'd have complete control over on the terms that you shut down your site.

Thanks as always for coming here to waste my time on trivial concerns, that as you point out matter not to you or your site.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »

I was making a point by proving how, if such a link campaign existed, your censor wouldn't have stopped it. Now that I've proven your censor can't do what you supposedly designed it to do in the first place, maybe you can finally remove it so your posters such as the OP aren't bothered by it.
You are right. I should go ahead and write the regex to remove all instances. Thanks for the suggestion!