If the earth is flat, what shape is it?

• 80 Replies
If the earth is flat, what shape is it?
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the earth is a plane of some kind... what shape is it?
A disc?
A square?
A pentagon?
Something else?

Please post your answers below, but only do so if you can present a logical argument to back up your choice.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: If the earth is flat, what shape is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
A butterfly.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
What shape is infinity?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
What shape is infinity?
Maybe the question should be reworded as "If the earth is flat, what shape is the known world?"

Let's forget about the part where "the sun don't shine".
Jack, in the FAQ puts it this way:
What does the earth look like?

As seen in the diagrams above, the earth is in the form of a disk with the North Pole in the center and Antarctica as a wall around the edge. This is the generally accepted model among members of the society. In this model, circumnavigation is performed by moving in a great circle around the North Pole.

The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named Antarctica. Beyond the ice wall is a topic of great interest to the Flat Earth Society. To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond.
Can we take that as definitive?

By the way it would be helpful if all these were fixed:

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »
Please post your answers below, but only do so if you can present a logical argument to back up your choice.

Every shape other than a butterfly distorts the shape of known continents beyond recognition.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »

Every shape other than a butterfly distorts the shape of known continents beyond recognition.
What if you're a real square earth fan?

Peirce quincuncial projection
And belong to the The INTERNATIONAL SQUARE EARTH SOCIETY, By Roger M. Wilcox
Who cares if the Americas are a bit bent?

Or even better than a butterfly, might be a "bat-wing" earth:

The Cahill-Keyes "Real-World" Map

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

Agreed. From now on I embrace your Bat Earth Theory.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »

But, if you happen to be a Batman fan, I'm not, you might like:
The Batman Earth

The backside hemisphere of the Hammer retroazimuthal projection
Who cares about the Americas?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »

But, if you happen to be a Batman fan, I'm not, you might like:
The Batman Earth

The backside hemisphere of the Hammer retroazimuthal projection
Who cares about the Americas?

Right. I have heard the US is just a part of Russia. I guess the Batman Earth Theory is true then...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
I guess the Batman Earth Theory is true then...
Now we really have a problem! To choose between:
  • The Butterfly Earth Theory
  • Bat Earth Theory and
  • Batman Earth Theory.
;D ;D And I only have a two-sided penny.[1] ;D ;D
Whatever can we do? Any suggestions? Any three-sided pennies around?

[1] There's a bigger problem! That penny has heads on both sides! It only gets  ;) dragged out on Anzac Day ;).
      And if you can't work out the significance of that, ask any fair dinkum Ozzie.
      ;) ;) And if you believe a word of this you really are a "FalseProphet"! ;) ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:59 PM »

Peirce quincuncial projection
And belong to the The INTERNATIONAL SQUARE EARTH SOCIETY, By Roger M. Wilcox
Who cares if the Americas are a bit bent?
Maybe a triangular Earth can fix that?

But how do you travel so shortly from US to Japan? Is there a portal in the edge of Earth?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:16:59 AM »
But how do you travel so shortly from US to Japan? Is there a portal in the edge of Earth?
This is a Flat Earth Site please don't pollute it with :P facts and logic.:P AFanOfTruth has no place here.

Guess i don't either, but we try.

Flat earthers don't seem to be making any offerings, so FalseProphet and I were just making :P helpful :P suggestions.

Besides some flat earthers claim that the earth looks like the following, or something very similar. 
This?

FE Ice Wall Map
Generally redarded as the "Accepted" map.
    Or maybe this?

FE Bipolar Map
(0°, 0°) centred AEP
    Or maybe this?

Sandokhan "True" Flat Earth Map
All of these have impossible routes, but the usual North Polar AEP map hides this because no regular routes cross Antarctica.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:23:57 AM »
Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the earth is a plane of some kind... what shape is it?
A disc?
A square?
A pentagon?
Something else?

Rectangle is most possible. The earth dome has some evidences (I mean signs) about its shape as rectangle prism and this makes the most possibility as rectangle.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:31:48 AM by İntikam »
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

JackBlack

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:30:25 AM »

And what about this?

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
Interesting. We are seeing good evidence that it is not remotely likely to be a disc. Yet dogma-fuelled flattists such as Jora and his ilk seem to insist it's a disc. While also screeching that the zetetic method is the only way to know things.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

JackBlack

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »
Interesting. We are seeing good evidence that it is not remotely likely to be a disc. Yet dogma-fuelled flattists such as Jora and his ilk seem to insist it's a disc. While also screeching that the zetetic method is the only way to know things.
Oh no. There are other methods which show it to be a disc.
Etiher as a group, or you individually, travel to various locations around the globe and measure the time the sun is due north or due south, (preferably the same day), measured as UTC.
Note that the sun from the NP appears to circle around.
These facts mean it must be the disc.

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 01:07:13 AM »
If you have a trianglular or rectangular (or every cyclic polygon shaped) map, you can just expand it to its circumscribed circle and get a disc.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 03:10:48 AM »
Etiher as a group, or you individually, travel to various locations around the globe and measure the time the sun is due north or due south, (preferably the same day), measured as UTC.
Yes, those "facts mean it must be the disc", though in principle it could be North or South Pole centred.

But can you imagine the outcry is someone claimed that the FE map should look like:

South Polar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection
It does make Antarctica and Australia look good, but I doubt that the North Americans will be satisfied.

JackBlack

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 03:13:32 AM »
Yes, those "facts mean it must be the disc", though in principle it could be North or South Pole centred.

But can you imagine the outcry is someone claimed that the FE map should look like:

South Polar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection
It does make Antarctica and Australia look good, but I doubt that the North Americans will be satisfied.
With all that land they should be happy.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
Barney the dinosaur.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Sentinel

• Open your eyes...
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »
Well, according to the believers of the non-euclidian-space-whatever-junk-crap (they're somewhere around here, I swear...) the world we live on might look like a sphere at one point from space anyway.
So why even bother?  :P
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
Well, according to the believers of the non-euclidian-space-whatever-junk-crap (they're somewhere around here, I swear...) the world we live on might look like a sphere at one point from space anyway.

this FEIB only use the term non Euclidian to handle that the earth is in reality not flat.
only that way they can "explain" the errors of the flat earth (like the distances between points on the earth).

most of them can also even not give a explanation about the real shape of the earth.

Sentinel

• Open your eyes...
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »

this FEIB only use the term non Euclidian to handle that the earth is in reality not flat.
only that way they can "explain" the errors of the flat earth (like the distances between points on the earth).

most of them can also even not give a explanation about the real shape of the earth.

That's pretty much the point of such BS though, isn't it? Why have a distinctive shape of a flat earth when it's supposed to magically shape like a sphere viewed from space anyway?  ;D
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »

And what about this?

That's nothing. It is no bat, it is no butterfly, how can that thing even fly?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:53 PM »

And what about this?

According to (most or some or . . . .) the earth doesn't fly, it just sits and sogs.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:16:38 PM by rabinoz »

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 06:15:50 PM »

And what about this?

According to (most or some or . . . .) the earth doesn't fly, it just sits and dogs.

That's why my theory of an earth that flies around the sun is so revolutionary.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »
Except that someone beat you to it!

(about 310-230 BC). A Greek astronomer of the 3rd century BC, Aristarchus of Samos was the pioneer of the theory that the Sun is at the center of the universe and that Earth revolves around it. This heliocentric, or Sun-centered, model of the solar system never gained wide support in the ancient world.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
Except that someone beat you to it!

(about 310-230 BC). A Greek astronomer of the 3rd century BC, Aristarchus of Samos was the pioneer of the theory that the Sun is at the center of the universe and that Earth revolves around it. This heliocentric, or Sun-centered, model of the solar system never gained wide support in the ancient world.

Not even to scale.

He probably just drew circles in the sand. You want to compare this primitive scribble with my majestic butterfly earth?

JackBlack

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 12:23:20 AM »
By breaking itself apart and changing its connectivity. Like so:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 12:50:19 AM »
By breaking itself apart and changing its connectivity. Like so:

It looks like a hexapedal stegosaurus brevicaudata to me. Do you want to claim credit for its discovery?