America's Opioid Crisis and a Complicit Congress

• 98 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: America's Opioid Crisis and a Complicit Congress
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »
I watched some news documentary thing about fentanyl last year, they were saying law enforcement at first thought the heroin was being cut with fentanyl, but found out it was the other way around. Fentanyl is more powerful than heroin.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »
I watched some news documentary thing about fentanyl last year, they were saying law enforcement at first thought the heroin was being cut with fentanyl, but found out it was the other way around. Fentanyl is more powerful than heroin.

Half a mg of fentanyl can be fatal if you have no tolerance. 3mg is enough to kill just about anyone.
You just got Weskered, bitches!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2019, 11:22:19 AM »
When my grandma was dying they prescribed her fentanyl patches. Before that I'd never heard of them.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
When my grandma was dying they prescribed her fentanyl patches. Before that I'd never heard of them.

Those are made in micrograms--25, 50, 75, and 100.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
I don't know which strength they gave her, I just remember them (it was hospice) telling me things to look out for. I figured out they were pretty powerful from the way they talked about it. If she hadn't been dying I don't think they would have given them to her at all, but her spine had cracks in it and they wanted her to not be in pain (me too, obv).

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
I don't know which strength they gave her, I just remember them (it was hospice) telling me things to look out for. I figured out they were pretty powerful from the way they talked about it. If she hadn't been dying I don't think they would have given them to her at all, but her spine had cracks in it and they wanted her to not be in pain (me too, obv).

If you're not opioid dependent, it could cause respiratory failure.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
My grandma has to take a bunch of Xanax every day, I imagine she's not that different from a junkie at this point lol. She starts feeling terrible if she hasn't taken her dose for too long, it really makes me question how liberally doctors prescribe medicine like that in many places.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
My great grandmother was on Xanax for years, she lived to be 100. I think they had her on the lowest dose, though. 

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2019, 12:46:18 PM »
Well my dad's uncle was alcoholic to the point where they had to remove part of his stomach or liver or whatever due to drinking too much, and smoked more than anyone else I've ever met up until he died at the age of 96. Some people just have insanely healthy genes I guess... I hope I have some of those and not those of my mother's side though, too many cancers on that side.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
If you take them the way they are prescribed(by a semi-competent doctor at least), you shouldn't run into any problems. It when you decide to start taking an extra one here and there that it snowballs.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »
Regarding how dangerous fentanyl is, this image is one that makes me nervous as a parent. The amount it takes to make a fatal dose is so incredibly tiny. And in the region where I live, opioids are very prevalent right now.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »
Regarding how dangerous fentanyl is, this image is one that makes me nervous as a parent. The amount it takes to make a fatal dose is so incredibly tiny. And in the region where I live, opioids are very prevalent right now.

Yep, it's many times stronger than conventional opioids.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
But like I touched upon before, hydrocodone and like are getting more and more expensive, which is driving people to turn to cheaper and easier heroine. And you don't know what you're getting on the street.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 12:46:54 AM »
I think it's different taking it for pain compared to thrills.
How does it compare to taking it because it's one of the more addictive class of drugs out there?

I honestly don't understand the question.

I took Hydrocodone for pain that felt like a fire being put out with a sandblaster.

A few times I took way more than I should.
No buzz and there is a limit to how much pain it can take away.

I have never tried it without pain.

There is obviously a problem.
Doctors over prescribe.

Fun story . . .

A few years ago my 27 year old nephew came and told me his girlfriend is having real bad abdominal pain, "She needs 4 Hydrocodone."

I told him is was probably an ectopic pregnancy
and he needed to take her to an emergency room.
He did not expect that.

I went out to the living room where she was waiting.
I asked where it hurt. She had no idea what I was asking about.

They were dressed to go clubbing.
Told him to fuck off.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/29a69a81c0174c50bda7a190b03d65cc

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — An Oklahoma judge on Monday found Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiaries helped fuel the state’s opioid crisis and ordered the consumer products giant to pay $572 million, more than twice the amount another drug manufacturer agreed to pay in a settlement.

Cleveland County District Judge Thad Balkman’s ruling followed the first state opioid case to make it to trial and could help shape negotiations over roughly 1,500 similar lawsuits filed by state, local and tribal governments consolidated before a federal judge in Ohio.

“The opioid crisis has ravaged the state of Oklahoma,” Balkman said before announcing the judgment. “It must be abated immediately.”

An attorney for the companies said they plan to appeal the ruling to the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

Before Oklahoma’s trial began May 28, the state reached settlements with two other defendant groups — a $270 million deal with OxyContin-maker Purdue Pharma and an $85 million settlement with Israeli-owned Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.

Oklahoma argued the companies and their subsidiaries created a public nuisance by launching an aggressive and misleading marketing campaign that overstated how effective the drugs were for treating chronic pain and understated the risk of addiction. Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter says opioid overdoses killed 4,653 people in the state from 2007 to 2017.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1172636585193615360?s=20
Bernie Sanders
@SenSanders
Here's the business model:

• Flood the country with painkillers
• Lie about the addictive effects
• Start opioid epidemic
• Cut a deal, admit no wrongdoing
• Hide money in Swiss bank accounts

The billionaire Sackler family must be held criminally liable for their greed.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1172612814210568200?s=20
The Associated Press
@AP
BREAKING: Court filings: Family behind OxyContin used Swiss bank accounts to conceal transfer of millions of dollars to themselves.

Get 'em Bernie.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »

Lol
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2019, 09:24:40 PM »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2019, 09:41:58 PM »

Lol

It's funny because it's true.

That pretty much sums up the entire sticks and stones special, which is why a certain group of people hated it.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »
Sticks and Stones was pretty great. The only thing that bothered me was that he is wearing a jumpsuit thingy, my grandpa had one of those for every day of the week.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2019, 06:51:15 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-16/purdue-pharma-seeks-bankruptcy-to-short-circuit-opioid-suits-k0luhox6

OxyContin Maker Purdue Pharma Files for Bankruptcy to Wipe Out 2,000 Lawsuits

Purdue Pharma LP filed for bankruptcy with a more than $10 billion plan to settle claims that it fueled the U.S. opioid epidemic by illegally pushing sales of its addictive OxyContin painkiller.

The Chapter 11 filing on Sunday in White Plains, New York, is designed to short-circuit more than 2,000 lawsuits against Purdue and its owners, the billionaire Sackler family. The settlement calls for the Sacklers to hand over Purdue to a trust controlled by the states, cities and counties that have sued to recoup billions of dollars they spent battling opioid addictions and overdoses.

Officials originally envisioned raising as much as $12 billion with the plan, which is backed by more than two dozen U.S. states and territories, along with many cities and counties that sued Purdue. In an emailed statement, Purdue officials reduced the potential settlement amount to more than $10 billion.

The company listed as much as $10 billion in assets and $1 billion in debts in its Chapter 11 filing. Purdue officials said Sunday the costs of dealing with waves of opioid suits made a bankruptcy inevitable. The company spent $250 million this year alone on legal fees and costs to defend the cases, the officials said.

The Sacklers have guaranteed to pay a minimum of $3 billion as part of the settlement, with most of the sum generated by selling Purdue’s U.K.-based drugmaker Mundipharma.

Love it when billionaires file for bankruptcy.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-16/purdue-pharma-seeks-bankruptcy-to-short-circuit-opioid-suits-k0luhox6

OxyContin Maker Purdue Pharma Files for Bankruptcy to Wipe Out 2,000 Lawsuits

Purdue Pharma LP filed for bankruptcy with a more than $10 billion plan to settle claims that it fueled the U.S. opioid epidemic by illegally pushing sales of its addictive OxyContin painkiller.

The Chapter 11 filing on Sunday in White Plains, New York, is designed to short-circuit more than 2,000 lawsuits against Purdue and its owners, the billionaire Sackler family. The settlement calls for the Sacklers to hand over Purdue to a trust controlled by the states, cities and counties that have sued to recoup billions of dollars they spent battling opioid addictions and overdoses.

Officials originally envisioned raising as much as $12 billion with the plan, which is backed by more than two dozen U.S. states and territories, along with many cities and counties that sued Purdue. In an emailed statement, Purdue officials reduced the potential settlement amount to more than $10 billion.

The company listed as much as $10 billion in assets and $1 billion in debts in its Chapter 11 filing. Purdue officials said Sunday the costs of dealing with waves of opioid suits made a bankruptcy inevitable. The company spent $250 million this year alone on legal fees and costs to defend the cases, the officials said.

The Sacklers have guaranteed to pay a minimum of $3 billion as part of the settlement, with most of the sum generated by selling Purdue’s U.K.-based drugmaker Mundipharma.

Love it when billionaires file for bankruptcy.

At least they had the foresight to move a billion dollars around first.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/09/purdue-files-for-bankruptcy-as-states-claim-sacklers-are-hiding-money/
“While the Sacklers continue to lowball victims and skirt a responsible settlement, we refuse to allow the family to misuse the courts in an effort to shield their financial misconduct,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement. “Records from one financial institution alone have shown approximately $1 billion in wire transfers between the Sacklers, entities they control, and different financial institutions, including those that have funneled funds into Swiss bank accounts,” she added, according to the New York Times.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/11/concern-that-sacklers-are-hiding-opioid-money-prompts-call-for-special-examiner/

A federal bankruptcy judge on Wednesday extended "extraordinary" protections for the mega-rich Sackler family amid a call from legal experts for a special examiner to investigate the family's finances and role in the opioid crisis.

The Sacklers own and control OxyContin-maker Purdue Pharma, which has largely been blamed for helping to spark the opioid crisis that now kills 130 people in the United States each day. The Sacklers and Purdue face around 2,000 lawsuits from states, cities, and municipalities, all alleging that they aggressively marketed their opioids and misled regulators, doctors, and patients about the drugs' addictiveness.

Purdue filed for bankruptcy in September as part of a tentative settlement agreement with over 2,600 plaintiffs. But the Sacklers—who have an estimated worth of $13 billion— have not filed for bankruptcy. Moreover, state attorneys general have accused the family of quietly siphoning some of Purdue's $35 billion from OxyContin sales into their own pockets and out of reach from litigation

There's more in the article, too long to paste the whole thing.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
At height of crisis, Walgreens handled nearly one in five of the most addictive opioids

The company acted as its own distributor and, according to a lawsuit, failed to report suspicious orders of pain pills and prevent diversion to the black market.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »

OxyContin maker Purdue to plead guilty over opioid practices

Purdue Pharma agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges over the handling of its addictive prescription opioid OxyContin, in a deal with U.S. prosecutors that effectively sidestepped paying billions of dollars in penalties and stopped short of criminally charging its executives or wealthy Sackler family owners.

They get to keep their money and stay out of prison. 

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
These pot dealers are in the wrong line of business.  Pharma is the way to go.  Much better money and total immunity from prison.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2020, 05:27:22 AM »
They get to keep their money and stay out of prison.
It's the American Way*!

*Warning: only applies if you're white and rich.  Other users may experience different outcomes.  Always read the small print.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2021, 02:08:09 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/1002085031/sackler-family-empire-poised-to-win-immunity-from-opioid-lawsuits

According to legal documents filed as part of the case, that immunity would extend to dozens of family members, more than 160 financial trusts, and at least 170 companies, consultants and other entities associated with the Sacklers.

Fuckers.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2021, 06:44:48 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-dea-agent-opioid-crisis-fueled-by-drug-industry-and-congress/

60 Minutes had an eye opening report on just how in bed lawmakers are with the pharmaceutical industry, even going as far as to get a particular DEA lawyer removed who was causing trouble for the distributors who were breaking laws.  While I want to share this to expose how horrendous a person my Representative, Marsha Blackburn, is, I also am left with the question of "what do we do now?"

We know a lot of Congress is in bed with Big Parma (I hate that phrase but it's the most apt I can use here). We know Congress has neutered the DEA in terms of going after the big actors, leaving them only able to take on the small guys. We also know congress has actively been able to remove an investigator to suit their donors.  The obvious solution is seeking to remove money or lobbyist, both of which will never be pursued by those in power.  We can try to elect honest people, but the majority of the electorate either doesn't care or refuses to see past R vs D, at least it's evident in my district.

I'm at a loss of how to approach this with a solution.

I'm four years late, but alternative voting has to happen in this country.

"First Past the Post" voting is a disaster. Alternative, or instant-runoff, voting is the one of the only feasible ways to cancel out the Spoiler Effect and make candidates that a majority of people actually want viable. It also encourages a more participatory democracy and puts a sizeable dent in the two-party system which got us here in the first place -- all because of the mechanics of our voting system.

Oh, and gerrymandering so that votes are actually unequal and not at all equal. That's gotta stop.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2021, 09:23:10 AM »
"First Past the Post" voting is a disaster. Alternative, or instant-runoff, voting is the one of the only feasible ways to cancel out the Spoiler Effect and make candidates that a majority of people actually want viable.
For the primaries where there can be lots of candidate, sure.  However, the general election usually only has 2 viable candidates anyway, so what's the difference?

Oh, and gerrymandering so that votes are actually unequal and not at all equal. That's gotta stop.
Meh.  That's only been a problem for the last 200 years or so, but don't worry, we'll get right on it as soon as we get a chance.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.