Oceans prove Earth isn’t round

• 114 Replies

Slynaeris da Snow Leopard

• The coolest cat.
Re: Oceans prove Earth isn’t round
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
I just find it hilarious how much you time you’ve spent on this forum rabinoz. You’ve been registered for a little over two years with a time spent at 3190 hours, I own tractors older than 3 years with less hours lmao. What do you even do for a living to have that much time to dedicate here?

Great argument!

I guess the Earth IS flat, after all!

That’s an observation, but ya it is.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »
I just find it hilarious how much you time you’ve spent on this forum rabinoz. You’ve been registered for a little over two years with a time spent at 3190 hours, I own tractors older than 3 years with less hours lmao. What do you even do for a living to have that much time to dedicate here?
Firstly, I am long retired, so how I waste my time is none of your business.
Secondly, I doubt that the 3190 hours means anything at all as I often login for a set time then don't bother to logout.

Then my posts are not really intended for the real flat-earth believers, they are already "infected" with the unreality disease.
Posting evidence for that group is a waste of time, it just hardens their own belief.

I am more interested in posting information that "guests" from the YouTube flat earth trash heap and any uncommitted newcomers can see.

But, thanks for taking such an interest in my welfare.

Slynaeris da Snow Leopard

• The coolest cat.
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »
Secondly, I doubt that the 3190 hours means anything at all as I often login for a set time then don't bother to logout.

Then my posts are not really intended for the real flat-earth believers, they are already "infected" with the unreality disease.
Posting evidence for that group is a waste of time, it just hardens their own belief.

I am more interested in posting information that "guests" from the YouTube flat earth trash heap and any uncommitted newcomers can see.

I think you’re just convincing people you’re absolutely insane, but enjoy the rest of your retirement lmfao.

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Leave the guy alone. He's entitled to his own opinion without skepticism. You guys just attack like CIA shills nonstop posing 11-22 posts a day to deny flat earth theory. If FET was such a joke then why would you guys spend YEARS of your life trying to debunk it. Answer that you pretentious fucks.
That's ridiculous.  Sure, he's entitled to his own opinion, but without skepticism?  Why wouldn't people have the right to express skepticism about an opinion that he has put into a public forum?  Where is my right to an opinion? 

If you don't want your opinions questioned, don't speak them out loud or write them in public.  I'm willing to answer any questions from anyone about anything I say publicly.  Questions are at the very core of learning, and the right of people to ask them should be guaranteed, regardless of which side of a debate you're on.

And as for why I'm here, it's not to debunk FE.  That has been debunked already a million times over.  I'm here to help people who don't know enough to recognize if learn the information they're missing.  Whether that is hard science facts, better debate skills so they can frame a coherent argument, or just to learn how to actually critically question something and learn how to find answers themselves, I would like to help people.  That's just me, though, others have different motives.
When can the readership expect to see any sort of demonstration of your qualifications to perform in support of your stated purpose?
A comprehensive demonstration for my qualifications to perform in support of my stated purpose can be found at this link:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1463919

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »

I think you’re just convincing people you’re absolutely insane, but enjoy the rest of your retirement lmfao.

You are the one claiming the Earth is flat, ignore all evidence that proves it and you think he is insane?
FE people have nothing to fear but sphere itself

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
If you think that I'm insane for believing that the earth in the following photos is flat, then I don't know what that makes you.

Do you really think that this earth is flat?

From near sea-level, sure looks perfectly flat and level.

From Concorde, 50,000 ft, maybe a bit of a curve there.

Losing Your Ride at 121,000 Feet - starting to look convincing!
From a Flat Earther's video.

That sure looks curved to me, from about 200 miles, must be ;D CGI ;D
Not only does it look curved, but as Galileo is reputed to have said:
"Eppur si muove. And yet it does move.
Referring to the Earth, by legend, Galileo whispered this to himself as he rose from kneeling after making his abjuration of heliocentricity.
."
It sure doesn't look flat to me! And by the way, the earth does not measure flat either.
May I recommend a good optometrist?
Or better still, stop dreaming and open your eyes!
[/quote]
Funny that flat earthers still have no meaningful explanations for:
  • sunrises and sunsets,
  • the sun and moon staying the same size from rising to setting,
  • solar and lunar eclipses,
  • long distance air routes all over the world.
And there is still no flat earth map that shows correct distances all over the world.
That, of course, is because it is not possible to have a flat map that shows correct distances at the same scale all over the world.
Funny that!
And there's much much more evidence than that!
But, to answer my own question, I'd say that it makes you,
"As Flanders and Swann once said  . . . . . ‘stark staring bonkers’"
But, lets scrap the name calling and just look at the evidence. Over to you!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:55:24 PM by rabinoz »

JackBlack

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
That’s an observation, but ya it is.
Do you have any rational argument or evidence to back up that baseless crap?

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2017, 05:55:01 AM »
Leave the guy alone. He's entitled to his own opinion without skepticism. You guys just attack like CIA shills nonstop posing 11-22 posts a day to deny flat earth theory. If FET was such a joke then why would you guys spend YEARS of your life trying to debunk it. Answer that you pretentious fucks.
That's ridiculous.  Sure, he's entitled to his own opinion, but without skepticism?  Why wouldn't people have the right to express skepticism about an opinion that he has put into a public forum?  Where is my right to an opinion? 

If you don't want your opinions questioned, don't speak them out loud or write them in public.  I'm willing to answer any questions from anyone about anything I say publicly.  Questions are at the very core of learning, and the right of people to ask them should be guaranteed, regardless of which side of a debate you're on.

And as for why I'm here, it's not to debunk FE.  That has been debunked already a million times over.  I'm here to help people who don't know enough to recognize if learn the information they're missing.  Whether that is hard science facts, better debate skills so they can frame a coherent argument, or just to learn how to actually critically question something and learn how to find answers themselves, I would like to help people.  That's just me, though, others have different motives.
When can the readership expect to see any sort of demonstration of your qualifications to perform in support of your stated purpose?
A comprehensive demonstration for my qualifications to perform in support of my stated purpose can be found at this link:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1463919
GTFO...

LOL!!!

“…enough to recognize if learn the information they're missing…”
Incomplete sentences.
“…If you can't explain physically or mechanically what processes have led the Earth to become flat when other observed bodies are approximately spherical, then you don't have an answer to the question and should just say so. “
Strawman argumentation.
You have no qualifications.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2017, 06:01:33 AM »
GTFO...

LOL!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D Lot's of irrefutable evidence there! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Usual Totally Crappy response!

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2017, 06:26:43 AM »
Simple proof of FET is the fact that water is completely level.
So, I can assume that a simple proof of the Globe is the fact that the water is not level!

Something is certainly hiding a large part or Toronto in this photo!

Toronto as seen across lake Ontario from Olcott Beach, NY; evening 18th July EST, by Ad Meskens
Now those buildings are 66.7 km away, well past the visible horizon and much of the lower parts are hidden.
As near as I can gather the photo was taken from near "Olcott Beach Carousel Park" about 9 m above water level at Lat/Long 43°19'54.48"N  78°41'15.36"W.

And for some strange reason, these straight transmission lines across Lake Pontchartrain curve down in the distance!

Lake Pontchartrain Transmission Lines Nikon P900, Soundly
Want some videos of curving water?
         " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Flat Earth Curved Water Found 3 - Overwhelming Evidence, Soundly
         " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Flat Earth Curved Water 5, Soundly
Simply 6 mins of live video of the Lake Pontchartrain transmission lines, stabilized and set to music (and an easter egg). Enjoy.

Then photos that I have taken.

The sharp horizon line between the air and the sea as in can only exist because the horizob is close:
The fact of a sharp sea-air boundary is evidence of a near horizon, only a few kilometers away and hence curvature.

The distance to the horizon changing with even quite small changes in elevation shows that the water is curved, as in:

Scarborough from 50 cm above water, Beacon 2.6 km away on Horizon

Scarborough from 3 m above water, horizon now well past the beacon.
Those simple photos provide to me, very good evidence of "curved water".

And, there are many, many more.

I like how all of your posts with valid pictures and evidence are completely ignored without as much as a whimper. Confirmation Bias at it's finest.

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »
That's because Rabinoz takes fake pictures. Because Ontario isn't a real place and neither is Australia.

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »

GTFO...

LOL!!!

“…enough to recognize if learn the information they're missing…”
Incomplete sentences.
“…If you can't explain physically or mechanically what processes have led the Earth to become flat when other observed bodies are approximately spherical, then you don't have an answer to the question and should just say so. “
Strawman argumentation.
Are you seriously trying to say that a typo on a casual forum invalidates all of the content around it?   ::)

And it seems you are confused about what exactly a straw man argument is, since you've incorrectly identified one.  A question was posed about why the Earth would be flat when other celestial bodies are spheres.  John Davis answered something to the effect that Earth is unique in many ways so this would be just one more.  I was, correctly I might add, pointing out that his answer is missing any actual explanation and is consequently useless toward answering the question. 

This doesn't even vaguely resemble a straw man argument.  If you'd like to prepare better and be a contributing member of the discussion you could read up on logical fallacies here https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/659/03/ and actually learn what they are.

JackBlack

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
Incomplete sentences.
Yes, when you cut sentences apart they do seem incomplete. What you mean is grammatically incorrect.

His full sentence:
I'm here to help people who don't know enough to recognize if learn the information they're missing.
The only problem is the "if", which can be replaced by "and" and it is fine.

Also, is he claiming his qualifications are in writing perfect English? No.

Strawman argumentation.
Nope. Not a strawman argument.
The simple fact is that you (and other FEers) are unable to provide any justification for why Earth would be flat in the first place.

If you would like to see an example of a strawman argument, look at your own post, where you focus on English errors to claim he has no qualifications.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2017, 03:49:46 PM »
That's because Rabinoz takes fake pictures. Because Ontario isn't a real place and neither is Australia.
Sure, I've got this magic camera that takes fake pictures - no need for Photoshop!

Why not? That sounds just as reasonable to me as the earth being flat and riding on the backs of four elephants.

And I suppose you too have fairies at the bottom your garden too?
Quote from: Name withheld
Flat Earth Debate / Re: why we cannot trust scientists
Quote from: Name withheld
What would you have me respond to?
You believe in fairies.
there is much evidence for doing so. not only are they a universal concept, but you have photos like these:

they convinced no less an investigator than arthur conan doyle, and existed long before photoshop or any manipulative tools, and were recorded in such old journals, confirming that fact. this is a genuine image, too old to be questionable. they are very clear in what they show.
you accept photographic evidence from people who have photoshop, of a fantasy round earth. you should accept this.
closed mindedness is not an argument.

;D Yup, looks pretty real to me.  ;D

PS#1 I like elephants and turtles, but I don't think you should overload them like you do! Leave that to Atlas, that's his assigned task!
         Looks like they thought the earth a Globe way back there.

PS#2 If Australia isn't real, I wonder where I am now?
         By the way, those Scarborough were taken from Lat/ Long 27° 12’ 04” S 153° 06’ 58” E,
         plug that into Google Earth and you might even see the beacon to the North East.

PS#3 Those "fairy photos" were taken by the very smart young girl in the left photo.
         She was an very smart cookie at photography and "photoshopping" long before there ever was any PhotoShop.

PS#4 The earth is really a Great Big Beautiful Globe, but I'm guessing that you know that,
         by the way I'm a bit of a fan of Terry Pratchett, so I know a bit about Discworld.

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
If you believe in RET then you assume at one point the Earth was perfectly spherical. How then were the oceans cut out of the surface at their vastly different depths? Same goes for our Great Lakes.
You're totally right in one thing, that oceans are a great way to understand the true shape of the earth - take shipping routes, for example: we all know the non-feasibility of flights across the southern hemipshere, but just try at explain ships, if you think the earth is flat.

As of January 2016, there were 51,405 ships in the world's merchant fleets.

An interactive map for the year 2012: https://www.shipmap.org/

And this is a real time interactive map. There are also detailed maps of the world's shipping routes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2636152/Watch-worlds-ships-sail-planets-oceans-REAL-TIME-Interactive-map-reveals-crowded-routes-taken-worlds-vessels.html

There must be a correct map. Otherwise ships would get hopelessly lost.

There must be a correct way to navigate: Otherwise ships would get hopelessly lost.

Only one map can be compatible to the known times, distances, and directions of millions of voyages.

No matter how you draw in the details in the flat earth map, this map is not compatible with the "mainstream" globe earth map. The differences are more extreme in the southern hemisphere, but even in the northern hemisphere the maps are not compatible.

How do you draw a FE map that is consistent with every known sea voyage? Make the continents a different shape and size to "shrink" the oceans? Then how do you make that consistent with all the land trips made inside the continents? Put the continents at different distances from one another to make a voyage between two of them (somewhat) consistent? Then inevitably you must be increasing the distance somewhere else. E.g. Australia, Africa and South America.

A web of millions of voyages, made by people who were just pragmatically trying to get around, has tested and verified the proper shape of the earth.

ausGeoff

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2017, 02:01:51 AM »
What a lot (most?) flat earthers can't comprehend—or choose to ignore—is that the surface of all free-standing water, at every single point is nominally equidistant from the centre of gravity (CoG) of the earth.  In exactly the same way that an aircraft flying at a fixed altitude remains at a constant distance from the earth's CoG, and not constantly "nosing up" as the FEs so often insist.

Hence, whilst, again nominally flat to the eye, the surface of water appears to be flat, it's not in reality.  Its surface follows the curvature of the earth's surface.  Imagine an ant on the skin of an orange, where its skin represents the oceans.  To the ant the skin appears flat, but that's due to the huge difference in their relative sizes.

Too many FEs think that Samuel Rowbotham's 150-year-old experiment over a 10km length of a canal proved the earth's flatness LOL.  Apart from being ridiculously outdated now, his experiment was unsupported due to his total lack of scientific knowledge about his claims.  Instead, we should be reading about Alfred Russel Wallace, a surveyor who actually knew what he was talking about, but who was effectively shut down and ruined by Rowbotham after he, Wallace, proved the water in the canal was in fact curved.  Wallace's experimental setup precluded the known effects of atmospheric refraction at or just above the water's surface, a problem that Rowbotham failed to acknowledge with his own experiment.

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »

Too many FEs think that Samuel Rowbotham's 150-year-old experiment over a 10km length of a canal proved the earth's flatness LOL.  Apart from being ridiculously outdated now, his experiment was unsupported due to his total lack of scientific knowledge about his claims.  Instead, we should be reading about Alfred Russel Wallace, a surveyor who actually knew what he was talking about, but who was effectively shut down and ruined by Rowbotham after he, Wallace, proved the water in the canal was in fact curved.  Wallace's experimental setup precluded the known effects of atmospheric refraction at or just above the water's surface, a problem that Rowbotham failed to acknowledge with his own experiment.

The patron saint of flat earthers was wrong? GASP!!
He couldn't properly conduct a scientific experiment? Egad!!

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Oceans prove Earth isn’t round*
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
If you believe in RET then you assume at one point the Earth was perfectly spherical. How then we’re the oceans cut out of the surface at their vastly different depths? Same goes for our Great Lakes.

To get into that you would really have to get into studies of geodetics, geodesy, etc. on the subject.

But the oceans actually are the easiest proof that the earth is round. If the earth was flat you could see an infinite distance in all directions (on the surface of the earth or sea)...
Why do you insist on posting this bullshit strawman argument time and time and time again.

You are a liar!

If that was directed at me ?
Have you ever been on a ship in the middle of the ocean ?
Are you saying that you would be able to see to an infinite distance of the ocean in all directions from that ship in the middle of the ocean if the earth was flat ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:18:32 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
What a lot (most?) flat earthers can't comprehend—or choose to ignore—is that the surface of all free-standing water, at every single point is nominally equidistant from the centre of gravity (CoG) of the earth.  In exactly the same way that an aircraft flying at a fixed altitude remains at a constant distance from the earth's CoG, and not constantly "nosing up" as the FEs so often insist.

Hence, whilst, again nominally flat to the eye, the surface of water appears to be flat, it's not in reality.  Its surface follows the curvature of the earth's surface.  Imagine an ant on the skin of an orange, where its skin represents the oceans.  To the ant the skin appears flat, but that's due to the huge difference in their relative sizes.

That ant is a lot larger in comparison to the size of the orange than you are in comparison to the size of the earth.
A flea on a large beach ball might be a better comparison.
Too bad we don't have a mini-camera or a micro-camera to take a picture to show what it looks like to the flea.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:13:52 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
No flattie has EVER been to sea.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
No flattie has EVER been to sea.

I believe you ! Either that or they are "completely at sea" as the saying goes.

As I have said repeatedly, I was in the USN only about four years and only a little over 2 1/2 years of that was sea duty.
But I have never claimed to have been what I would call "a real sailor".
I was just a specialist in my "Specialty Rating."
But I did observe a few things that proved the Earth is a Globe in the process.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:39:37 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Crutchwater

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2017, 09:37:59 AM »
I routinely run 16 miles offshore in a 21' boat.  You tend to pay attention to your environment when you're in such a small craft. It's very clear how things behave near the horizon.

The ocean is certainly NOT flat!

Sentinel

• Open your eyes...
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
Totalcrappy at it again, what else is new. One would think he'd get tired of his BS trolling eventually, but oh well...  :-\
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »
I routinely run 16 miles offshore in a 21' boat.  You tend to pay attention to your environment when you're in such a small craft. It's very clear how things behave near the horizon.

I would just guess you can only see about 5 miles or so ( maybe more or less depending on your height above the sea ? ) to the horizon from your boat ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:50:51 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Crutchwater

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »

I would just guess you can only see about 5 miles or so ( maybe less depending on your height above the sea ? ) to the horizon from your boat ?

Going by GPS, I start seeing the South Carolina coast at 6.2 miles. But it's called the "Low Country" for a reason.

JackBlack

Re: Oceans prove Earth isn’t round*
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
If that was directed at me ?
Have you ever been on a ship in the middle of the ocean ?
Are you saying that you would be able to see to an infinite distance of the ocean in all directions from that ship in the middle of the ocean if the earth was flat ?
He is suggesting you wouldn't see infinitely because the atmosphere would get in the way.
However a clear horizon negates this issue as it shows your visibility is not limited by the atmosphere.

Crutchwater

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
We can see stars clearly on the horizon, and they are further away than anything on the planet...

JackBlack

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
We can see stars clearly on the horizon, and they are further away than anything on the planet...
Not according to FE nonsense.
For example, on the equator, polaris is on the horizon. Polaris is meant to be 5000 km above the north pole (which would mean it shouldn't be anywhere near the horizon).
But that puts it at a mere 11180 km away.
Meanwhile, the equator on the other side is 20 000 km away.

Crutchwater

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
Not according to FE nonsense.
For example, on the equator, polaris is on the horizon. Polaris is meant to be 5000 km above the north pole (which would mean it shouldn't be anywhere near the horizon).
But that puts it at a mere 11180 km away.
Meanwhile, the equator on the other side is 20 000 km away.

Has anyone told them that this doesn't match reality??

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »

I think we scared him off.... with the TRUTH!!!!!!!

DROPPIN' TRUTH BOMBS SON!!!

And please, if you are unsure of the validity of NASA Earth Pictures... how about the Japanese Earth pictures... Every 10 minutes from Himawari-8?

Please, go to this website... type in a date... zoom in, zoom out... please look for any inconsistencies... https://himawari8.nict.go.jp/

If you are not sure... please, explain to me how FE science predicts lunar eclipses please? And Don't Forget to show your work!

Thanks!
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac