What is 'Religious'

• 5 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
What is 'Religious'
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:28:30 AM »
I want to discuss whether or not science is religious.

First, we must define what is religious?

What is religious to you? Every day or every so often.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Re: What is 'Religious'
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »

I don't regard myself as especially religious,  but I don't disparage those that are.  People believe all kinds of things without evidence.   If it helps you get through life and deal with the inevitable questions of life death, the universe and everything.  Why not.

Science is not especially religious,  although some people regard it as such.   True science is about questioning and seeking the truth. 
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »
Religious means someone believes something as confidently and have trouble to leave it.

In fact, science, as a definition, is a changeable phenomenon by in every new theory.

In this point, we should define the meaning of science: "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." (google).

contrary to this clear definition of science, today science is defined by theory and theoretical proofs. but the present-day science based on the theory has taken its place even though it is contrary to the technically defined science.

For example, basic science depends on law of gravity. But when we ask for "observation and experiment", there is no proof about it in laboratuary. But who believe it, I mean who religious on science, forces others to believe it. This is same with religious in religion. It's just bigotry. We can clearly say, modern science is a kind of bigotry. It is based on imaginary theories and some bigot people who believe in them.

Now we arrived bigotry. What cause bigotry?  clearly, bigotry is usually mandatory for the majority:

A person believes in something, and shapes his life according to this thing. then even if he sees the mistake of this thing he believes, there is so much that needs to change in his life, so this risk can not be taken. To deny is is easier than completely change his life. so even if he sees that he has to change his mind, he can not change it. the possibility that this new idea is wrong is more likely than the possibility of adapting this new truth to life when it accepts it. for many people it is unlikely to be this adapted. and inevitably forms bigotry.

for this reason, science is beyond the belief, is a bigotry.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:45:15 AM »

I would say that 'religious' is the voluntary mindset of one who's thoughts and actions are governed by a religion.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »

Religion is belief in a higher power (divine being) it is not based on facts or evidence and is not open to anything that differs from its belief system.
science is all about finding the truth and updating the model as new data is found and always scrutinizing evidence even if it is your own and having others also test your findings and only accepting it when it is the most likely scenario. the reason things in science is called theory not fact is because science is always open to change whereas religion is not. If proof was found to support a divine being (God) most followers of science would accept it as long as the evidence stood up to scrutiny but if you proved without a doubt God was not real religion would dismiss it and carry on with its beliefs
FE people have nothing to fear but sphere itself

Andy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
You have heard people say things like. I religiously go to workout or that guy is really religious about his studies. Over time the definition of many words have taken on a completely different meaning to what it was originally intended. A great example is the word QUIT. "Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong." The meaning is clear from the scriptures to never give up. Today we take it as the opposite. Our apostle PAUL spoke on religion, about the Jewish faith.

Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. 

In what context do you think of Religion?