Experiment to prove a flat earth

• 5 Replies
Experiment to prove a flat earth
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
Hi! Quick introduction of myself to the forums.

If you'd rather watch instead of reading my message heres the video:

[youtube][/youtube]

Long story short: Actioncams that high altitude balloon (HAB) launches use usually distort the image of the earth because of their fisheye lenses. After making strides in my project for an autonomous return from a HAB, I wanted to include the flat earth society in on this and hopefully put an end to the debate. What camera would you guys want to put on the balloon that wouldnt distort the image?

Straight

• We should put all "SCIENTISTS" behind BARS
Re: Experiment to prove a flat earth
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
If results are curved, means you lied to us and put in a fishbowl effect camera. If results realistic (straight, flat) then we are also right.

Win-win for FES.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
I honestly feel like even if i took multiple precations to prove that it was the same camera, and still had FE people on the launch site this is what the normal reaction would end up to being.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »
I honestly feel like even if I took multiple precautions to prove that it was the same camera, and still had FE people on the launch site this is what the normal reaction would end up to being.
All you can do is have multiple witnesses.

This is an earlier post of mine:
In any belief system, what would be accepted as valid research material, or more correctly invalid.
In the case of The Flat Earth and in particular this society that is easy to answer.

Just look up "Place of the Conspiracy in FET" in "the Wiki" and find that any personally unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET must be fabricated!
Look at this:
Place of the Conspiracy in FET
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The existence of such a huge quantity of false information indicates the existence of the conspiracy.

Essentially the reasoning boils down to -

P1) If personally unverifiable evidence contradicts an obvious truth then the evidence is fabricated
P2) The FET (Flat Earth Theory) is an obvious truth
P3) There is personally unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET

C1) The unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET is fabricated evidence
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
From THE FLAT EARTH Wiki, Place of the Conspiracy in FET.

It clearly states "The FET (Flat Earth Theory) is an obvious truth" and "If personally unverifiable evidence contradicts an obvious truth then the evidence is fabricated".

So, you might as well give up! Even if you claim that you have personally verifiable evidence, that evidence is not personally verifiable by any flat earth believer.
And they simply do not want it verified, because that would destroy The flat earth myth.

Dedicated Flat Earthers "know" that the earth is flat so all evidence that seems to disprove the flat earth is deemed fabricated. Still, it would be excellent to see some video and good quality photos that used a lens without barrel distortion.
The following photo was from a flat earther's video and did have a lens with some distortion, but with the horizon slightly below the centre of the image that is minimised:

Even some flat earthers do some good balloon flights and videos!
Losing Your Ride at 121,000 Feet - A Preview Indiana Caver at 0:17 secs
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:13:36 PM by rabinoz »

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:02 AM »
Surely you can create a control surface as referance. Take a known flat surface, an engineering flat table would be ideal. Start the camera recording the table, then release the balloon. When the footage comes back, you can measure any lens distortion using the images of the table, and use that as a frame of reference against the flatness of the earth

ausGeoff

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:39:15 AM »
Actioncams that high altitude balloon (HAB) launches use usually distort the image of the earth because of their fisheye lenses...

In photographic terms, I think you're confusing "fish eye" lenses (8mm-15mm) with wide angle lenses (24mm to 35mm).  As a comparison with lenses, the human eye is approximately 45mm to 50mm.

Whatever, even a fisheye lens will accurately show a flat horizon line if its optical axis is centred on that horizon.  The image is only distorted once the subject is shifted away from the lens's optical axis, and the more so the further it's shifted.  This is an example of a 2x 183º fish eye lens; note that the horizon line is almost flat due to being very near the lens's optical axis—whereas the near river bank and the trees at each side are massively distorted...

If the real horizon line is below the lens axis, it'll appear to curve downwards, if above the axis, upwards.

Incidentally, if you're in a commercial jetliner at 45,000ft you'll be just  able to perceive the earth's sphericity; at 70,000ft in a Lockheed U-2S it's more than obvious.