question about GPS and accurate maps

• 29 Replies

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
question about GPS and accurate maps
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
FET says GPS is fake.

My GPS sports watch gives accurate readings on my location to within 5 feet when I train for and run half marathons.

GPS Nav in aircraft get me to my destination and locate landmarks along the way as check points. These points are even more accurate.

In order to fake the GPS signal and give me accurate locations and times, requires a map that is accurate to at least 5 feet. In the cast of the Military, a GPS signal is within inches, so the map must be accurate within inches. 

The fake signal is required to be accurate on a FET map first, before it is translated to RE and appear real with its accuracy. A conversion from map to map.

This raises a huge question.

If there are people “inside” that know the truth who are getting the truth out to “the people,” why has none of them produced an accurate copy of the FE Map used to fake tens of millions for accurate GPS measurements each day. So, where are these FE maps and why can’t anyone one in FET produce one?
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
Re: question about GPS and accurate maps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
my brother traveled to China, and told me it was law that the GPS's be slightly inaccurate for public use

So he had to draw an arrow on his screen for where he actually was... Seems within the realm of possibility for the story coming from China...
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

Round and Proud

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
It does. I notice to FET is ignoring the question. I am not surprised.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

Straight

• We should put all "SCIENTISTS" behind BARS
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:08 PM »

Well that's just silly. There are no magical floating satellites in the air above us doing "GPS". Have you seen radio towers? Well some of those are GPS towers, that is how you get your location on the flat earth.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
my brother traveled to China, and told me it was law that the GPS's be slightly inaccurate for public use
So he had to draw an arrow on his screen for where he actually was... Seems within the realm of possibility for the story coming from China...
The original GPS reserved the accurate data for military use and allowed the civilian access with a lower accuracy. This restriction was removed in 2000.
Selective Availability
Selective Availability (SA) was an intentional degradation of public GPS signals implemented for national security reasons.
n May 2000, at the direction of President Bill Clinton, the U.S government discontinued its use of Selective Availability in order to make GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide.
The United States has no intent to ever use Selective Availability again.
In September 2007, the U.S. government announced its decision to procure the future generation of GPS satellites, known as GPS III, without the SA feature. Doing this will make the policy decision of 2000 permanent and eliminate a source of uncertainty in GPS performance that had been of concern to civil GPS users worldwide.

And: [urlhttp://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/data/]GPS.gov, Data From the First Week Without Selective Availability[/url]

Data From the First Week Without Selective Availability
GPS Fluctuations Over Time on May 2, 2000

VIEW FULL SIZE
But the accuracy of maps is something that the US government has no control over.
On International aviation charts: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">International aviation charts for pilots show distances accurately.
Others that might be relevant:
          " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">GPS worked fine all the way from Australia to Hawaii
          " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">GPS Log analysis from QF8. Dallas to Sydney non stop. Flat Earth or Globe?
          " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">WGS84 is the accurate Earth model... and it is a spheroid.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »

Well that's just silly. There are no magical floating satellites in the air above us doing "GPS". Have you seen radio towers? Well some of those are GPS towers, that is how you get your location on the flat earth.
No, I haven't seen any of these "GPS towers" across the ocean, far from land, nor across the desert in Central Australia far from any phone, TV or even microwave antennas.

And I have personally used hand-held and in-car GPS units in those locations.
I have used my hand-held GPS unit in aircraft flying over outback Australia, the Indian Ocean, over the Tasman Sea and on-board ship in the North Sea and the Pacific Ocean.

No mobile phone services or TV services in those areas, but the GPS worked perfectly!
Sure the GPS on your "smart-phone" might give up because it probably gets its maps over the internet, but
the hand-held and in-car GPS units that I use have pre-loaded maps and need no connection to any data services.
All I need are the GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) signals, from the GPS (USA), GLONASS (Russian) and sometimes other satellites.

So if you expect us to believe you, please supply sound evidence and not just your baseless assertion!

But of course, silly me! You said "that is how you get your location on the flat earth" and I do not live on "the flat earth".
I live on the Globe! You can live where you like - seems a bit like in "Wonderland":

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »

I think that you're confusing GPS with GSM.
http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-gsm-and-gps
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Round and Proud

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 02:53:58 AM »

Towers? I backpack into some remote places in the Sierras. Places where the only signal possible is from orbit. Places were ONLY a Sat Phone will work, yet my GPS works just fine.

And you STILL avoided the fact you cannot produce an accurate FET map

RocketSauce

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »

Please, tell me why the GPS Tower network is so much more robust than the Radio and Cellphone tower network?

Why can I get perfect GPS location when I drive through a mountain range (which I have) or am on a boat past 12NM (which I've been) when I am in an FM/Cellphone dead zone?

Please, enlighten us with your well traveled stories of "personal experience" which is so highly regarded in Flat Earth Theory.

*fact*

neutrino

• FET is a religion. You can't fight faith.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
Well, probably because of mountains obscure signal from GPS antennas?

Why round earthers stop thinking?
FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.

RocketSauce

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »

That is your response? Seriously? Jesus H. Flying on a Rocket Ship...

Just to recap, your response was "Probably because of mountains obsure singal from GPS Antennas" and then you followed with an insult... When I clearly wrote

"Why can I get perfect GPS location when I drive through a mountain range" but not FM or Cell...

*fact*

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 03:44:59 AM »

That is your response? Seriously? Jesus H. Flying on a Rocket Ship...

Just to recap, your response was "Probably because of mountains obsure singal from GPS Antennas" and then you followed with an insult... When I clearly wrote

"Why can I get perfect GPS location when I drive through a mountain range" but not FM or Cell...

Bumping this.
I was going to start a new thread but this started promisingly and ended up with FE insult and FE point-missing.
So there's still no answer to why GPS works perfectly in mountainous or remote areas, which fits the concept of satellites but goes against the concept of towers, or "pseudolites" which anyway have a separate defined purpose (GBAS).
My own point to add to this is:
How can ground based GPS transmitters allow the GPS device to establish altitude?
This requires a three dimensional element.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
If there are people “inside” that know the truth who are getting the truth out to “the people,” why has none of them produced an accurate copy of the FE Map used to fake tens of millions for accurate GPS measurements each day. So, where are these FE maps and why can’t anyone one in FET produce one?

Producing an accurate map of the earth is a HUGE project requiring a TON of funding (think google earth funding). You would have to hire hundreds or thousands of flat earth surveyors using flat earth surveying methods.

1. No accurate flat earth surveying method exists. To date all surveying methods support a round earth.
2. No one has yet to spend the necessary millions creating an accurate flat earth surveying/cartography project.

?

SphericalEarther

• Programmer. I believe in logic.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »

Producing an accurate map of the earth is a HUGE project requiring a TON of funding (think google earth funding). You would have to hire hundreds or thousands of flat earth surveyors using flat earth surveying methods.

1. No accurate flat earth surveying method exists. To date all surveying methods support a round earth.
2. No one has yet to spend the necessary millions creating an accurate flat earth surveying/cartography project.
We have the bearing and elevation angles to all the stars from all locations on the earth, at any time, they can all be observed and verified to be true.
We have the bearing and elevation to the sun and moon from all locations of the earth, at any time, they can all be verified to be true.
What more do you need? You can do it pretty cheaply. You just need to make up your mind as to how you would create the map from this.

So basically, start by explaining how you would survey, as all the common surveying methods using stars, the sun and moon, aerial photography, all support a globe earth.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:18:34 AM by SphericalEarther »

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
We have the bearing and elevation angles to all the stars from all locations on the earth, at any time, they can all be observed and verified to be true.
We have the bearing and elevation to the sun and moon from all locations of the earth, at any time, they can all be verified to be true.
What more do you need? You can do it pretty cheaply. You just need to make up your mind as to how you would create the map from this.

We have the round earth bearing and elevations angles to all the stars. There needs to be a flat earth bearing and elevation angles to all the starts.
We have the round earth bearing and elevation to the sun and moon from all locations of the earth, at any time. There needs to be new flat earth measurements of these things.
You can do it pretty cheaply.

According to this article maps are not cheap:
http://www.asymco.com/2012/12/18/how-much-to-maps-cost-and-what-are-they-worth/

Here's another article about the cost of just a part of google maps:

?

SphericalEarther

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »

We have the round earth bearing and elevations angles to all the stars. There needs to be a flat earth bearing and elevation angles to all the starts.
We have the round earth bearing and elevation to the sun and moon from all locations of the earth, at any time. There needs to be new flat earth measurements of these things.

The bearing is relative to compass directions, the elevation is relative to level. What would make them different on a flat earth vs a round earth?

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:45:19 AM »

The bearing is relative to compass directions, the elevation is relative to level. What would make them different on a flat earth vs a round earth?

I have no idea. This is where my research into the flat earth hits a road block. Inherently there is a difference.  What really gets me is that, with no accurate map of the earth, how on earth are we able to navigate this planet so successfully? Why is it that when I take a road trip from Alaska to Mexico I don't wind up in Russia?

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
Re: “what really gets me...”:

You’re starting to get it! Follow that thinking a bit more

?

SphericalEarther

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »
I have no idea. This is where my research into the flat earth hits a road block. Inherently there is a difference.  What really gets me is that, with no accurate map of the earth, how on earth are we able to navigate this planet so successfully? Why is it that when I take a road trip from Alaska to Mexico I don't wind up in Russia?
Well, we have a map based on the spherical planet we call earth, able to get us from A to B using stars, the sun and moon, compass directions, satelite gps systems, and more.

What really gets me, is that flat earthers constantly forget that everything is so easily explained using a spherical earth, and constantly need to find alternative and complicated ways to change their model, map, perspective, and more to fit the observed reality.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »
Re: “what really gets me...”:

You’re starting to get it! Follow that thinking a bit more

Those towers you see  are cell phone towers.
Their height and spacing between towers determines the amount of their coverage.
In town, I have noticed there are many of them, not so tall , and spaced closer together.
When you get out on the highway, out in the countryside, you will notice that tney are much taller in height and spaced farther apart.
This is all due to the curvature of the earth because of "the round earth" or the sphere or globe that the earth really is.

I  have used a cheap GPS for years and found it accurate on road trips around town and all over the USA in showing my location and speed.
I have also used it on the Trinity Railway Express ("The TRE")  commuter train between Dallas and Fort Worth and it "folllowed" the train and showed its speed.

This flat earth nonsene about "GPS Towers" and "GPS Inaccuracy" is all just another bit of flat earth rubbish.
I can attest to its accuracy.
My GPS can also show me which satellites are being received .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:37:07 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 10:47:57 AM »
Well, we have a map based on the spherical planet we call earth, able to get us from A to B using stars, the sun and moon, compass directions, satelite gps systems, and more.

What really gets me, is that flat earthers constantly forget that everything is so easily explained using a spherical earth, and constantly need to find alternative and complicated ways to change their model, map, perspective, and more to fit the observed reality.

It has been used for centuries.
In the Navy, we used "Oceanic Sectional Charts" , large flat sheet maps, of small areas of the oceans made from projections of the globe to minimize the distortion on making "flat maps" from a  curved  surface......the globe.
The Chart Room on the ship had cabinets and cabinets with drawers and drawers full of maps and maps of these charts.

The only map claiming to be a "flat earth map" with the North Pole at its center and the "ice ring"  around the rim that I have seen is the common  North Polar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection ("The AEP") of the globe.
If we had used the AEP on our cruises from California to Japan, we would have sailed in a circle around Alaska and Siberia....a long , long way......... to get to Japan.
As it was, we followed straight line courses from San Diego to Honolulu and then to Guam and Yokosuka.
Got there and back every time !  LOL
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:05:54 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »

Please, tell me why the GPS Tower network is so much more robust than the Radio and Cellphone tower network?

Why can I get perfect GPS location when I drive through a mountain range (which I have) or am on a boat past 12NM (which I've been) when I am in an FM/Cellphone dead zone?

Obviously, just as China tinkers with GPS to falsify readings, the GPS / cell phone towers actually work in those remote areas, but the phones and data network are programmed to "go dark" at a particular distance, whereas the GPS function is left on. This is to continue the deception indoctrination.

Cell phones actually get reception on Everest and the middle of the ocean, but the deception allows the fake launch of satphone "satellites" by SpaceX, diverting billions of dollars into the pockets of the Illuminati.

Soon, they'll flip the switch like they did with GPS and we'll all get worldwide cell phone coverage. At a price of course.

This is what my friend told me when I visited him. They have a very nice visiting room at the institution, and he gets ice cream with sprinkles on Thursdays.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »

Obviously, just as China tinkers with GPS to falsify readings, the GPS / cell phone towers actually work in those remote areas, but the phones and data network are programmed to "go dark" at a particular distance, whereas the GPS function is left on. This is to continue the deception indoctrination.

Cell phones actually get reception on Everest and the middle of the ocean, but the deception allows the fake launch of satphone "satellites" by SpaceX, diverting billions of dollars into the pockets of the Illuminati.

Soon, they'll flip the switch like they did with GPS and we'll all get worldwide cell phone coverage. At a price of course.

This is what my friend told me when I visited him. They have a very nice visiting room at the institution, and he gets ice cream with sprinkles on Thursdays.

More please

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »

More please

Triangle pancakes with whipped cream and chocolate chips on Sundays.

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »

More please

Triangle pancakes with whipped cream and chocolate chips on Sundays.

you know what I meant ;)

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »

Brilliant.
Next time (after the blue pills have been handed out) can you get your friend to explain how we can derive altitude information from 2d triangulation?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:40:50 PM by Didymus »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »

Brilliant.
Next time (after the blue pills have been handed out) can you get your friend to explain how we can derive altitude information from 2d triangulation?

My old GPS also gives me accurate altitude (or elevation) information at my location.

Chorus:

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

Bullshit. It's called plane surveying. It's commonly practiced and works well as long as the dimensions of the area being surveyed are limited enough that the curvature of the surface can be neglected - typically up to a few square miles or square kilometers, as a practical matter.

Accurate surveys of larger areas require geodetic surveying techniques. The difference is that geodetic surveys require the curvature of the earth to be considered, which makes the calculations more complicated. This is necessary because the earth is a large sphere.

http://www.engineering.com/Ask@/qactid/1/qaqid/232.aspx

It's not possible. This is because the earth is a sphere, not a flat surface. At large scales, the curvature becomes significant, and plane surveys cannot be accurate.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:50 AM »

Brilliant.

My old GPS also gives me accurate altitude (or elevation) information at my location.

Of course it does.
It can only do this if there is enough vertical separation of the transmitted signals.
That can only happen if you have:
a) very very tall towers, or
b) some way of attaching the transmitters to something up in the air, eg weather balloons.
If only there were some way of sending some kind of vehicle into space so that they could orbit round and transmit from there.
An altitude of about 20,000 kms would probably do it.
I know it sounds crazy....

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »

I have yet to get a flat earth response to the following question:

If no accurate map of the earth exists how are we able to accurately travel?