If the earth is flat. Why is the atmosphere not falling off the edges?

• 35 Replies
Headline says it all really. Why is the air around us not falling off of the edge if the earth is flat?  ???

Re: If the earth is flat. Why is the atmosphere not falling off the edges?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:15:21 PM »
Excellent question.
No response or attempt at derailment by JROA et al.

As a question, it looks like it qualifies as 'too hard to answer'.

Nice one, well done.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 11:36:33 PM »
Excellent question.

Nice one, well done.
Let me help you out with some :P words of wisdom  :P directly from the ::) skulls mouths :o.

So what prevents the atmoplane to vanish into space over the borders of a flat earth if it wasn't for a dome or something similar?
Or do you actually believe in infinite earth and therefor infinite atmosphere as well?

As one moves south into Antarctica and away from the path of the sun, the temperatures continue to drop.  Eventually, it is so cold that gases, such as nitrogen and oxygen become so cold that they liquify and precipate out of the sky.  At the "edge" of the Earth, there simply are no gases left to spill over the edge.

Just thought you'd like to know!  :P

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »
Why is the air around us not falling off of the edge if the earth is flat?  ???

How about . . . why isn't the air blowing off the globe as it hurls around the sun?

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 01:47:01 AM »

How about . . . why isn't the air blowing off the globe as it hurls around the sun?
Gravity, which pulls it to Earth.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »

What exactly would 'blow' it off? Space is a vacuum. Vacuums do not blow or suck (if anyone mentions vacuum cleaners they are idiots).

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »
Excellent question.

Nice one, well done.
Let me help you out with some :P words of wisdom  :P directly from the ::) skulls mouths :o.

So what prevents the atmoplane to vanish into space over the borders of a flat earth if it wasn't for a dome or something similar?
Or do you actually believe in infinite earth and therefor infinite atmosphere as well?

As one moves south into Antarctica and away from the path of the sun, the temperatures continue to drop.  Eventually, it is so cold that gases, such as nitrogen and oxygen become so cold that they liquify and precipate out of the sky.  At the "edge" of the Earth, there simply are no gases left to spill over the edge.

But if it turns into a liquid, the liquid would still spill over the edges. So unless it becomes a solid it would still fall off. But why does it get colder at the edge? If it is because of space and the vaccum, wouldn't the same thing happen if you just went straight up? But I don't see either solid or liquid notrogen or oxygen if I look up at any given time. ???

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
To be fair, we don't actually know that it isn't falling of the edge (and being replenished somehow), since there's nobody at the edge to check airflow.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
The most amusing thing about Jora's obvious troll, is it gives no explanation of why nobody has seen this happening, or noticed that there is a part of the world so cold that they are unable to travel there.
Mind you, Jora has told me he has a secret archive of Antarctic exploration details where explorers give accounts of such things. He just isn't sharing it with anyone.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
The most amusing thing about Jora's obvious troll, is it gives no explanation of why nobody has seen this happening, or noticed that there is a part of the world so cold that they are unable to travel there.
Mind you, Jora has told me he has a secret archive of Antarctic exploration details where explorers give accounts of such things. He just isn't sharing it with anyone.
I haven't a clue what this means, but since it is from jroa in a topic Atmospheric Containment it  :P must be :P highly relevant.
How fast would the air be moving past the rim, if this same air was propelling the Earth?  I would expect it to move very fast.  So fast, in fact, that gravity would have little affect on it, if gravity could actually exist on a flat Earth.

As far as "stripping away our atmosphere", I don't see why it would do that.  The air over the disk would have a lower air pressure than the air moving past the rim, but it would not become a complete vacuum due to the constant replenishment from the slight mixing of the air.  It would come to an equilibrium quite quickly and would then remain at more or less the same pressure over the disk.

Think of it this way.  When you drive down the street with your window open and hold your hand out with your palm facing the direction of movement, your hand is acting in a similar way to this model of the flat earth.  Air is pushing against your palm, air is rushing past the edge of your hand, and there is no complete vacuum on the back of your hand.  The air pressure will likely be lower on the back of your hand, but it will always have some air pressure, and therefor some atmosphere on the disk.
It's so entertaining reading these old threads. For a start, there was some real debate and then little gems of :D logic :D like:
Maybe the answer is as simple as air being the propellent that accelerates the Earth.  With this model, there is no need for containment because air that is blown away could just be replenished as new air moves past the rim and some of it mixes with our atmosphere.
And
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I have a whole theory to propose.  What if we are not actually being propelled from underneath the Earth, but are in fact being sucked by a giant vacuum?  It would solve many of the problems with the whole Earth accelerating and such.  The closer we get to the vacuum, the faster we are traveling, therefor acceleration would be consistent with the other flat earth theories.  Also, because the Earth has more mass than the air beneath it, the lighter air has less inertia and is therefor able to easily blow by the Earth.  Because the Earth shields the atmosphere above it (or towards the vacuum), the atmosphere does not get sucked off the Earth.  We could use some of my other theories with this, such as the slight mixing of the air moving past the rim with the atmosphere as well.
Maybe jroa has been (re-)educated since then.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 06:15:27 AM »
Excellent question.

Nice one, well done.

But if it turns into a liquid, the liquid would still spill over the edges. So unless it becomes a solid it would still fall off. But why does it get colder at the edge? If it is because of space and the vaccum, wouldn't the same thing happen if you just went straight up? But I don't see either solid or liquid notrogen or oxygen if I look up at any given time. ???

If it does turn into a liquid and flowed in a direction and it flowed towards the north, then it would simply warm up as it approached the sun and become gasous again.  If, on the other hand, it flowed towards the south or "edge", then it would become solid and eventually simply dam off any more flow that is rimwards. 

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
Because gravity doesn't exist.  :'(
A troll within a troll within a troll.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
If it does turn into a liquid and flowed in a direction and it flowed towards the north, then it would simply warm up as it approached the sun and become gasous again.  If, on the other hand, it flowed towards the south or "edge", then it would become solid and eventually simply dam off any more flow that is rimwards.
Except as already pointed out to you, if it magically turned into liquid so there wasn't atmosphere above it, it would be exposed to a vacuum and that would cause it to boil.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
Except as already pointed out to you, if it magically turned into liquid so there wasn't atmosphere above it, it would be exposed to a vacuum and that would cause it to boil.

Perhaps, as the flowing Aether passes by the edge of the Earth, it creates enough pressure enough pressure to keep the region above the point at which the liquefied gasses would boil.  You should try thinking for yourself for a change instead of simply being a denier. 

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »
Perhaps, as the flowing Aether passes by the edge of the Earth, it creates enough pressure enough pressure to keep the region above the point at which the liquefied gasses would boil.  You should try thinking for yourself for a change instead of simply being a denier.
I do think for myself, which is why I don't just accept your crap.
Remember, you are the denier, you are the one denying what all the evidence points to, the fact that Earth is round. So perhaps you should follow your own advice and think for yourself instead of simply being a denier.

If the aether was flowing past and applying enough pressure to keep the gas from boiling it would pull the gas along with it.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Not if you lube it up with Black Energy.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
I do think for myself, which is why I don't just accept your crap.
Remember, you are the denier, you are the one denying what all the evidence points to, the fact that Earth is round. So perhaps you should follow your own advice and think for yourself instead of simply being a denier.

If the aether was flowing past and applying enough pressure to keep the gas from boiling it would pull the gas along with it.

Not if the gases remain in a solid or liuefied state. 

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »
I take it you don't understand liquids either?
If you have a substance flowing past a liquid, it will take some of the liquid with it. That even happens to solids to a lesser extent.

Regardless, you still have the gas which is liquefying, that would need to be under the pressure of the aether to liquefy.

So you are going to have that problem.

In this case it would be simpler to just leave it as flowing off the edge. You have invented needless complexity which solves nothing.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 09:27:36 PM »
If you have a substance flowing past a liquid, it will take some of the liquid with it. That even happens to solids to a lesser extent.

Regardless, you still have the gas which is liquefying, that would need to be under the pressure of the aether to liquefy.

In this case it would be simpler to just leave it as flowing off the edge. You have invented needless complexity which solves nothing.

Why can't it just be an ice wall and a dome?

I mean, if you're going to adopt a theory which effectively points to the Genesis account for the creation of the universe, why the need to play mad libs with differing explanations for things to appease various opinions on the validity of a dome?

When it comes to some flat earth believers, I feel they're still trying too hard to appease the heliocentric dominant. You will never be accepted by it, so there's no point in even attempting to sound reasonable to them.

It's a dome.
A troll within a troll within a troll.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »

The Aether does not need to blow over either the solidified or liquefied gases.  It only needs to fill in some space so as to not have a vacuum low enough as to allow the solids or liquid from becoming gaseous again.   You really are working hard to make this as complicated as possible.  Is that your shtick? 

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 02:17:36 AM »
The Aether does not need to blow over either the solidified or liquefied gases.  It only needs to fill in some space so as to not have a vacuum low enough as to allow the solids or liquid from becoming gaseous again.
I never said it had to.
Even if it blows past the gaseous gas, it will still take some with it.
You need it to not be touching any of it which would mean it couldn't exert any pressure.

You really are working hard to make this as complicated as possible.  Is that your shtick?
Projecting again I see.
You are the one that seems to be making it as complicated as possible.
Rather than go for the simple option which all the evidence backs you go for a flat Earth.
Rather than take the simple option of a dome, or just pure magic, you go for nonsense with more and more nonsense piled on to try and make it work.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 05:09:24 AM »
The Aether does not need to blow over either the solidified or liquefied gases.  It only needs to fill in some space so as to not have a vacuum low enough as to allow the solids or liquid from becoming gaseous again.
I never said it had to.
Even if it blows past the gaseous gas, it will still take some with it.
You need it to not be touching any of it which would mean it couldn't exert any pressure.

You really are working hard to make this as complicated as possible.  Is that your shtick?
Projecting again I see.
You are the one that seems to be making it as complicated as possible.
Rather than go for the simple option which all the evidence backs you go for a flat Earth.
Rather than take the simple option of a dome, or just pure magic, you go for nonsense with more and more nonsense piled on to try and make it work.

First of all, neither you nor I have any idea about the properties of the Aether.  You assume that it must have the same properties as ordinary matter.  I, on the other hand, understand that with theoretical physics, you must be prepared to look outside the box or we will be left in the stupid ages forever.

Secondly, if Aether is in fact filling the void near the edge of the Earth, it does not have to flow.  Aether could be flowing past the Earth as it accelerates the Earth, but any that has been drawn in to fill a void could simply be stagnant.  You assume that it must be in constant motion, like an eddie in a river. 

So, once agian, instead of keeping and open mind, you plug your ears and yell, "I deny it!" and try to make it as complicated as possible in an effort at Argumentum ad Infinitum.  Perhaps you can try a new fallacy technique, because this one is getting boring.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 02:26:59 PM »
First of all, neither you nor I have any idea about the properties of the Aether.  You assume that it must have the same properties as ordinary matter.  I, on the other hand, understand that with theoretical physics, you must be prepared to look outside the box or we will be left in the stupid ages forever.
No. Typically aether was assumed to have properties completely different to ordinary matter, but in order to exert pressure on things to keep them from boiling due to a vacuum, it must have some properties akin to ordinary matter.
It must be capable of interacting with it. But this interaction will not only provide pressure but move the gas with it to some extent.

Secondly, if Aether is in fact filling the void near the edge of the Earth, it does not have to flow.  Aether could be flowing past the Earth as it accelerates the Earth, but any that has been drawn in to fill a void could simply be stagnant.  You assume that it must be in constant motion, like an eddie in a river. 
So you are just appealing to more magic. Why does that aether remain stagnant?

So, once agian, instead of keeping and open mind, you plug your ears and yell, "I deny it!" and try to make it as complicated as possible in an effort at Argumentum ad Infinitum.  Perhaps you can try a new fallacy technique, because this one is getting boring.
Again, that is you. I have an open mind. But that doesn't mean I just accept whatever crap you say.
I point out the problems with the crap you are making up. You then try to make it more and more complex to have it match your delusions.

I accept the simple answer, that Earth is round and the atmosphere is attracted towards the centre of Earth and there is no edge for it to fall off.

You don't even go for the simple FE answer of a magic dome.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »
Either the earth is finite and space is cold (and thus water freezes nearing the edge) or the earth is infinite and there is no edge.

Or a third option.
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »
Either the earth is finite and space is cold (and thus water freezes nearing the edge) or the earth is infinite and there is no edge.

Or a third option.

The third being its a globe.
With all the woes facing our planet do we need a flat earth to add to them...

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
An Infinite anything is very hard to grasp...

But I'd find it even harder to grasp an Infinite physical body...

Imagine, if you will, a vinyl record and instead of a small hole in the middle, there is a tiny bump (us, in our dome) and the plain of the record extends out to 1 mile...

Very Truman Show-ish...

A whole lot of Flatness with a tiny bump in the middle...

I'd have an easier time imagining (believing) multiple bumps (like bubble wrap) all over the record as their own microcosms.

Now take your bubble wrap, lose your 2D view, and you have... The universe (as seen by round earthers)
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
It's an enclosed system, however there is an edge. For example, a flat circular dome enclosed earth sitting on the top of a cube. Once outside of the doom, you can fly to the edge of the cube that we are sitting on. Kind of like a footstool

There's no way to prove it until you see it. Unless God shows you.

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
and the reasons for that conclusion please?
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »

Or a third option.

Water is not the only part of the atmosphere. The majority are things like nitrogen and oxygen.
These need pressure in order to freeze. If you have them freeze (or even liquefy) to prevent them spilling off the edge, you remove the pressure, resulting in them boiling.

So space being cold is not a solution.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
It's an enclosed system, however there is an edge. For example, a flat circular dome enclosed earth sitting on the top of a cube. Once outside of the doom, you can fly to the edge of the cube that we are sitting on. Kind of like a footstool

Why would you think there is an edge to the area outside our dome? I find Shentons speculations on an infinite plane with infinite finite domes very compelling.
Quantum Ab Hoc