Jim Crow Revival

• 8 Replies
?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
Jim Crow Revival
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:42 PM »
Proposed laws in several U.S. states protect drivers who kill protesters. This move is strongest in areas like the American South where Black Lives Matter demonstrations have stopped traffic.

Police unions and allied politicians are the most open supporters of these proposed laws that would legally protect killing protesters. The legislation is being worded so the driver gets off unless it is proved the death was intentional.

Does Jim Crow still exist if this passes?

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/14/backed-by-police-unions-legislators-standby-laws-to-protect-drivers-who-kill-protesters/

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Jim Crow Revival
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
The police and many lawmakers were allied with the Ku Klux Klan and violent groups in the old Jim Crow South. These laws would give legal protection to the violence and murder which the Ku Klux Klan and similar groups and persons commit.

It is a fascist effort aimed at those who fight for the rights of the disadvantaged.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:32:39 AM »
Proposed laws in several U.S. states protect drivers who kill protesters. This move is strongest in areas like the American South where Black Lives Matter demonstrations have stopped traffic.

Police unions and allied politicians are the most open supporters of these proposed laws that would legally protect killing protesters. The legislation is being worded so the driver gets off unless it is proved the death was intentional.

Does Jim Crow still exist if this passes?

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/14/backed-by-police-unions-legislators-standby-laws-to-protect-drivers-who-kill-protesters/

I had to look it up,  I'd heard the term Jim Crow before and recognized it as a racist term,  but never knew it's origins till now.   

The laws to protect drivers who run down protesters comes from earlier demonstrations where protesters took over freeways and unsuspecting motorists were faced with people running out in front of cars,  I see that as more of a traffic control problem,  than premeditated murder, so I don't think the Charlottesville case where a neo nazi deliberately drove into a crowd is comparable. 

Will the USA become more racist,  and bring back segregation,  I doubt it, I think those days are gone.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »

The laws to protect drivers who run down protesters comes from earlier demonstrations where protesters took over freeways and unsuspecting motorists were faced with people running out in front of cars,  I see that as more of a traffic control problem...

No it's one of many insane blows against protesters in deep red states.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:52:59 AM »

The laws to protect drivers who run down protesters comes from earlier demonstrations where protesters took over freeways and unsuspecting motorists were faced with people running out in front of cars,  I see that as more of a traffic control problem...

No it's one of many insane blows against protesters in deep red states.

Yes, it's going to become politicised, road laws shouldn't have anything to do with politics. 

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »
From the heart, I have to stop and say thanks to both Rayzor and FalseProphet for rendering a conversation that is simultaneously both intelligent and civilized.
Much respect.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
Will the USA become more racist,  and bring back segregation,  I doubt it, I think those days are gone

You might be interested in a book about the pervasiveness these days of jails and prisons by Michelle Alexander and entitled:

'The New Jim Crow'
http://www.npr.org/2012/01/16/145175694/legal-scholar-jim-crow-still-exists-in-america

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
Will the USA become more racist,  and bring back segregation,  I doubt it, I think those days are gone

I also doubt old style racial segregation will return, at least not soon. That's not exactly what I was saying.

I believe the 99% and the 1% existed back in the Jim Crow era & segregation and racism were tools the 1% (the ruling class) used to keep the lower class divided.

By the 1960's, enough people saw through the old racist laws and that instrument of repression and exploitation lost a lot of its effectiveness. It has been replaced by prisons and jails and police power which have all multiplied since the 1960's.

The ruling class is mostly the same, but their instrument of repression has changed because the civil rights movement successfully damaged the old racist system (although it by no means destroyed it).

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »
I believe the 99% and the 1% existed back in the Jim Crow era & segregation and racism were tools the 1% (the ruling class) used to keep the lower class divided.

By the 1960's, enough people saw through the old racist laws and that instrument of repression and exploitation lost a lot of its effectiveness. It has been replaced by prisons and jails and police power which have all multiplied since the 1960's.

This is true...they must keep the populous divided...this has been an age old tactic that is as old as time itself... division and control of information/education/wisdom. It still works just as good now as it did then, certainly a perfect example of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"..

However, it is done through media now...much easier with technology for the few to control the many (something never seen before in history)...then add that control to the removal of education/wisdom/critical thinking it makes the media's effective rate beyond 90 percent.

The media tells us there is a race war, so the dumbed down populous says ok and that is their mentality...even though that died decades ago. If the media said there is no race war, we are all equal, judge people for whom they are inside and call everyone by their name and not color...6 months things would start to stabilize.

Though this will never happen because of those that truly pull the strings as mentioned above. I don't be presidents or anything of the above...these people stay in the shadows (they have to), their names are taboo even by the highest officials (look at Kennedy, and he never even said a name, he just hit to close and went after the federal reserve), the only way you can get close is follow the money...even then you need to weed through C corps Galore to find anything.

Anyone buying into class wars or race/gender wars are simply falling into the trap and doing the biddings of those truly pulling the strings....so stop it!!
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir