Apollo 17 Mission - End of the conspiracy.

• 9 Replies

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
Apollo 17 Mission - End of the conspiracy.
« on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »

When Apollo 17 left the moon, they shot 16mm video of Apollo 17 landing site during the ascent stage.   

The linked video compares the pictures from Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter with the earlier 16mm film.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
Re: Apollo 17 Mission - End of the conspiracy.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
Apollo 17 is not the only mission that recorded the LM liftoff with 16mm film.
):

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »
When Apollo 17 left the moon, they shot 16mm video of Apollo 17 landing site during the ascent stage.   
*sigh*  That wasn't a 16mm camera.  It was a video camera.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »

Although it's not clear from the OP, the ascent from the moon was captured both by a video camera left on the surface and by a 16mm film camera aboard the LM ascent stage. At times, the 16mm film shows the landing site from above as they were leaving.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »

Nope that was a 16 mm film camera on the space craft,  they also had a video camera with remote pan/tilt zoom remote controlled. That was on the moon's surface.

The Maurer 16mm Data Acquisition Camera
The 16mm Maurer Data Acquisition Camera (usually called "the DAC", pronounced simply "dak") is best known for the movies it was used to take through the Lunar Module Pilot's (LMP's) window during the approach and landing of the LM.  Also, all of the movie footage taken on the lunar surface (not to be confused with the video downlink) was done with the DAC.  On Apollo 11, it was also used to take stop motion photography out the LMP's window of almost the entire EVA at the setting of 1 frame per second (fps).  On 12, it was mounted on the Lunar Hand Tool Carrier, on 14 it was mounted on the MET, and on the J-Series missions it was mounted on the Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV).  On 2 of the J-Series missions, 15 & 16, it was primarily used to document the geology along the LRV route, set at 1 fps.
A slightly different version of this system was used on board the CSM to take movies of such things as docking operations, etc

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
And what's more images from the 16mm footage showing the landing sites equipment and trails were published at the time.

To experience the entire mission in real time go to http://apollo17.org/
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

ForumPhoenix

• Vade Irrumabo te Amicus Meus
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
Sometimes... I look at the moon through my telescope and search for the Apollo landing sight, but I never find it.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:15:47 AM »
Sometimes... I look at the moon through my telescope and search for the Apollo landing sight, but I never find it.
I don't think you have enough zoom to see them.

What is the arcseconds resolution of your telescope?
Also, can you post a picture of the moon at max zoom?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:25:44 AM by Denspressure »
):

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:01:29 AM »
And what's more images from the 16mm footage showing the landing sites equipment and trails were published at the time.

To experience the entire mission in real time go to http://apollo17.org/

Thanks for that link,   truly  awe inspiring.     

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:23:01 AM »
And I wonder why! There is no telescope on earth that can resolve that detail!
To be able to see objects 5 m apart on the moon, you need a resolution of 0.0025 arc seconds.
No astronomical telescope on earth can achieve that, let alone anything an amateur might use.