IS THIS PROOF OF A ROUND EARTH??

• 15 Replies

DiegoLinares

• Openminded RE
IS THIS PROOF OF A ROUND EARTH??
« on: July 30, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
 Are you open minded enough to be willing to accept your wrong(which is possible)? If your are not, then there is no point in having a discussion, no conclusion will ever be obtained. If you are indeed open minded, then we're good. I looked at most of the evidence of RE and most theories I can't verify of prove for myself, but some can. I travelled to washington recently (I live in Panama City, way closer to the equator) and I did some simple experiments. I measured the angles of shadows casted from a pencil by the sun. I timed it at noon. I then did the same thing in Panama and indeed, my results made no sense with a flat earth theory, they actually only made sense in a spherical earth. The math I did here was revised and in was actually correct and simple.  Another simple experiment I did was also very conclusive. I live in a coastal city and I was going to an Island in boat. As I got off shore, the skyline of the building sunk in height until they disappeared and all I saw was ocean. Please explain this to me.  Also, the earth is too big to notice a curvature (if there is one) simple by sight, one's point of view would make it seem like a flat disk. However if it were totally flat, we should be able to see with our own eyes building offshore from hundreds of  kilometers away, but actually we can only see things that are a few miles close to us, the theory of a curved earth makes sense with this, but the flat earth theory does not.  Could you explain all this to me? I am open to corrections and changes in my perspective, I seek the truth.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: IS THIS PROOF OF A ROUND EARTH??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
I travelled to washington recently (I live in Panama City, way closer to the equator) and I did some simple experiments. I measured the angles of shadows casted from a pencil by the sun. I timed it at noon. I then did the same thing in Panama and indeed, my results made no sense with a flat earth theory, they actually only made sense in a spherical earth. The math I did here was revised and in was actually correct and simple. 
What were your results?

Also, the earth is too big to notice a curvature (if there is one) simple by sight, one's point of view would make it seem like a flat disk. However if it were totally flat, we should be able to see with our own eyes building offshore from hundreds of  kilometers away, but actually we can only see things that are a few miles close to us
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71053.msg1925166#msg1925166

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
It's not proof - it's anecdotal.

DiegoLinares

• Openminded RE
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
I travelled to washington recently (I live in Panama City, way closer to the equator) and I did some simple experiments. I measured the angles of shadows casted from a pencil by the sun. I timed it at noon. I then did the same thing in Panama and indeed, my results made no sense with a flat earth theory, they actually only made sense in a spherical earth. The math I did here was revised and in was actually correct and simple. 
What were your results?

Also, the earth is too big to notice a curvature (if there is one) simple by sight, one's point of view would make it seem like a flat disk. However if it were totally flat, we should be able to see with our own eyes building offshore from hundreds of  kilometers away, but actually we can only see things that are a few miles close to us
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71053.msg1925166#msg1925166

Right, but how would you explain that the skyscrapers clearly "disappear due to more haze" from top to bottom, gradually. With what your saying, they should disappear from bottom to top.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

DiegoLinares

• Openminded RE
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »

All proof of anything comes from anecdotals. It still can be evidence. I'm not lying, get on a boat and see it for yourself.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
Right, but how would you explain that the skyscrapers clearly "disappear due to more haze" from top to bottom, gradually. With what your saying, they should disappear from bottom to top.

What? They do vanish bottom-to-top. What world are you living on where the tops of skyscrapers vanish before the bottom?

ForumPhoenix

• Vade Irrumabo te Amicus Meus
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
When I see skyscrapers vanish, they do so all at once. Not bottom to top, not top to bottom, they just gradually in their entirety vanish into the sad haze of bull-crap car poop gasses and chemicals we call air.

DiegoLinares

• Openminded RE
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »

What? They do vanish bottom-to-top. What world are you living on where the tops of skyscrapers vanish before the bottom?
Sorry for that, my mind was in other places. I have a question about the "atmospheric haze theory". If I grab a powerful green laser and I place it at 1cm above sea level, you are saying that anything the laser points at (the laser dot) will always be 1cm above sea level (doesn't matter how far I go as long as the dot is visible). Is this correct?

DiegoLinares

• Openminded RE
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »
When I see skyscrapers vanish, they do so all at once. Not bottom to top, not top to bottom, they just gradually in their entirety vanish into the sad haze of bull-crap car poop gasses and chemicals we call air.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64904.0

That is chicago, and only the top part of tall buildings are visible from across lake Michigan.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:35:26 PM by DiegoLinares »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64904.0

That is chicago, and only the top part of tall buildings are visible from across lake Michigan.

I wouldn't take any notice of ForumPhoenix. He can't see his hand in front of his face for all his own noxious emissions.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:57:22 AM »

All proof of anything comes from anecdotals. It still can be evidence. I'm not lying, get on a boat and see it for yourself.

If you were providing proof, I wouldn't have to.

I know this is what happens. I watched cruise liners and cargo vessels disappear over the horizon last month in the Caribbean. I would then go to a third floor balcony and see the vessels "reappear".

But your thread title was asking if your anecdote was proof - which it isn't.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 01:52:52 AM »

I know this is what happens. I watched cruise liners and cargo vessels disappear over the horizon last month in the Caribbean. I would then go to a third floor balcony and see the vessels "reappear".

I think you are stretching the point here. It is certainly proof to HIM since he observed it. If we believe his experiment then it is also proof to US. The only question therefore is if you trust him or not. Given that this same experiment has been done tens of million sof times and way back into antiquity, then beleiving him is quite acceptable.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 02:13:07 AM »

I think you are stretching the point here. It is certainly proof to HIM since he observed it. If we believe his experiment then it is also proof to US. The only question therefore is if you trust him or not. Given that this same experiment has been done tens of million sof times and way back into antiquity, then beleiving him is quite acceptable.

Admittedly it's pedantic. But FE gets stick for banding about the term "proof" when it doesn't apply (e.g. those "50 proofs of flat earth" type YouTube videos where there isn't any actual proof). So was just calling this out in the interest of balance.

But of course, what the OP observed is what happens - anyone can see this for themselves and it demonstrates the earth is round and of the size and scale commonly accepted.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 05:17:47 AM »

Sorry for that, my mind was in other places. I have a question about the "atmospheric haze theory". If I grab a powerful green laser and I place it at 1cm above sea level, you are saying that anything the laser points at (the laser dot) will always be 1cm above sea level (doesn't matter how far I go as long as the dot is visible). Is this correct?
In some models. Other models have the path of light bend, either down to curvature of space or an electromagnetic accelerator (working on writing up that last one at some point).
Then again, as an experiment I think that's more of a futile hypothetical with all the issues you'd run into; locating the laser again, hoping it wasn't interrupted, having a gauge of what the same height is given sea level varies with location and is hardly constant, hoping the laser's still visible...

DiegoLinares

• Openminded RE
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
Hi, there is a funny thing that happens if you go to Dubai. Actually you can see two sunsets in one day. The tallest building in the world "Burj Khalifa" is 2126 ft in height. If you watch a sunset at ground level and then you get into an elevator and quickly get to the top of the building, you will see the sunset again. The sunset is in the ocean horizon. Why does this happen? I personally know someone who did this. It is not bullshit, it is even applied to Ramadan. During Ramadan muslims can only eat while the sun is not visible(at night) for @40 days. At the top of the Burj Khalifa THERE ARE a few more minutes each day of Ramadan. This could not logically happen in a flat earth.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
Montana State University is preparing a space baloon to televise the August 21, 2017 eclipse from a height above the clouds, calculated to be at the edge of space, nearly 19 miles above the earth - a height from which, the project director claims, THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH WILL BE VISIBLE.

The baloon image will be available at:
   http://eclipse.stream.live/