The Polaris Question

• 82 Replies
?

Kami

Re: The Polaris Question
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:18 AM »
Seeing you are back, InFlatEarth, have you tried out stellarium? I can really recommend it!

Also, care to adress the southern celestial pole?

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 04:21:07 AM »
1: From the lower plane you would still be able to see the entire upper plane, just under a different angle.
2: The stars in the southern hemisphere rotate around the southern cross. In your plane model it is impossible to have two centers of rotation
3: Have you checked stellarium (or any other software, as DNO suggested)?

When you go on top of the empire state building, 381 meters up in the sky, do you see the 400 miles do to curvature or do you just see 50 miles away?

On a clear night I can see stars all the way down to the horizon.
When I was in the Navy I was topside on the bridge of my submarine, in the middle of the Atlantic away from any light pollution, the stars were like a blanket from horizon to horizon.  More stars than I ever thought possible.  It was amazing.

Mike

I know what you mean. Where I live, their is zero light pollution.
To simply dismiss the concept of God as being unscientific is to violate the very objectivity of science itself.

My experiences with science led me to God.

The Truth Will Set You Free

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
From 90 degrees south, 90 degrees south on the other side of your flat plane Earth is 20 000 km away. With the plane of stars being 5000 km high, that puts the distant stars at 14 degrees angle of elevation. So still easily visible.

Where do you get the numbers of 20,000 km from or the 5000 km high.

I have never given any numbers out. These numbers may be correct or may be incorrect....
To simply dismiss the concept of God as being unscientific is to violate the very objectivity of science itself.

Werner Von Braun

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 05:24:09 AM »
on the RE model:
circumference of earth 40075 km
the viewing angle between the horizon and Polaris is exactly the latitude of your location.
this means: at the equator: Polaris is right at the horizon
at the north pole: polaris is at Zenith
for every other location on earth:
(40075 x 10) / 360 = 1113,2 km
every 1113 km you travel north or south, Polaris will shift 10 degrees north or south.
Go measure the viewing angle of polaris, and you will find out this observation fits perfectly well with
the RE - model.

If you try to use a FE model to explain these observations, you will bump into lots of problems.
you would quickly calculate a distance for polaris for a certain latitude, but if you travel further south or north, you would find out that the calculated distance does not match anymore.
Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 06:02:36 AM »
From 90 degrees south, 90 degrees south on the other side of your flat plane Earth is 20 000 km away. With the plane of stars being 5000 km high, that puts the distant stars at 14 degrees angle of elevation. So still easily visible.

Where do you get the numbers of 20,000 km from or the 5000 km high.

I have never given any numbers out. These numbers may be correct or may be incorrect....
It's not our fault if you don't know the Flat Earth Society's model! If you have a different model, spell it out as I have asked a number of times.

Here is the diameter of the known earth
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
The Ice Wall

The figure of 24,900 miles is the diameter of the known world; the area which the light from the sun affects. Along the edge of our local area exists a massive 150 foot Ice Wall. The 150 foot Ice Wall is on the coast of Antarctica. It is widely known and widely studied. The Ice Wall is a massive wall of ice that surrounds Antarctica. The shelf of ice is several hundred meters thick. This nearly vertical ice front to the open sea is more than 50 meters high above the water's surface.
24,900 mile is 40,073 km!

As to the height of the stars we are told that both the sun and moon are about 3,000 miles high - near enough to 5,000 km.
The Sun
The sun is a sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth. Spotlight effect The Sun's area of light is limited to a circular area of light upon the earth much like the light

As to the height of the stars, that is a bit nebulous, but the planets orbit the sun so must be at the same height.
Solar System
Q. What does the Solar System look like in FET?

A. In FET the planets are revolving around the sun, while the sun itself revolves around the Northern Hub.

So you tell us the height of Polaris!

napoleon

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:08 AM »
I'll tell you where the 5000 km height comes from:
at the north pole, polaris is at Zenith so 90 degrees
at latitude 45N (where a lot of people live) polaris is at 45 degrees.

45N is 5000km further south. (360 degrees = 40.000km; 90 degrees = 10.000km 45 degrees = 5000km)

basic geometry for a right triangle:
if one side is 5000km long and you know the second angle is 45 degrees, then automatically the other side is also 5000km.

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
You still have not provided photos of the stars from the 3 location in the Southern Hemisphere that show that they see the same stars at the same time on the same day of the year. As for the star, programs, it's just a program, junk in = junk out.

The burden is on you to provide the photographic evidence needed to continue this discussion.

Werner Von Braun

Sentinel

• Open your eyes...
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »
You still have not provided photos of the stars from the 3 location in the Southern Hemisphere that show that they see the same stars at the same time on the same day of the year. As for the star, programs, it's just a program, junk in = junk out.

The burden is on you to provide the photographic evidence needed to continue this discussion.

And yet you still have not explained how Polaris works on a flat Earth. Better not be that greedy in your claims, eh?  :P
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
I'll tell you where the 5000 km height comes from:
at the north pole, polaris is at Zenith so 90 degrees
at latitude 45N (where a lot of people live) polaris is at 45 degrees.

45N is 5000km further south. (360 degrees = 40.000km; 90 degrees = 10.000km 45 degrees = 5000km)

basic geometry for a right triangle:
if one side is 5000km long and you know the second angle is 45 degrees, then automatically the other side is also 5000km.

I'm sorry... Did you measure 5000km? Did you go out with a measuring wheel and walk that yourself? Did you go to the North Pole and verify that Polaris was at 90 degrees? or Verify yourself that at 45N polaris is at 45 degrees?

Where are you getting your numbers? Do you even know how to spot Polaris? Do you even live, or have you been at the 45N latitude line? Have you personally measured 45 degrees from 0?  And... if you did not yourself measure these distances or angles, then who did?
I'm giving you Super Duper skeptical Hippo eyes right now...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:04:10 AM by RocketSauce »
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »

And yet you still have not explained how Polaris works on a flat Earth. Better not be that greedy in your claims, eh?  :P

You have not provided any evidence that from the Southern Hemisphere you see the same stars at different locations, without this evidence, then it stands to reason that you would not see Polaris.

Prove that you see the same stars from Australia and South America

Werner Von Braun

RocketSauce

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
Can you prove that you can see the Big Dipper from New York City and that you can also see the Big Dipper from Las Angeles or South Korea? And, Can you please provide evidence that Orion's constellation is viewable at certain times and not viewable at other times...

Would you please go out and take your own pictures? I will assume anything from the internet has been altered with Photo Shop...

Now, if you are OKAY with using internet sourced photos then I will default to the Magellanic Clouds... Only seen from the southern hemisphere, never seen from the northern hemisphere at no time no how....

Thank you

*fact*

Sentinel

• Open your eyes...
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »

You have not provided any evidence that from the Southern Hemisphere you see the same stars at different locations, without this evidence, then it stands to reason that you would not see Polaris.

Prove that you see the same stars from Australia and South America

I really don't know how you would expect that your ongoing deflection would work on me or anyone in here.
Just answer the question you've been asked for numerous times already and across numerous threads as well, there will be no discussion otherwise to begin with as you have proved yourself to be unfit for any debate.
Put up or shut up, easy as that.  ::)
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
All the spherical Earth Believer say that Polaris is a big problem for the Flat Earthers.

I really don’t remember much from my astronomy class, but I’m willing to give it a shot at this problem.

But, before all the Heliocentric High Priest jump on me with science that I will need days to read, let start with the basics.

You say that Polaris can’t be seen from the Southern Hemisphere and thus the Earth is a sphere. Bottom line, this is your argument and it sound very reasonable.

I understand that, but my rebuttal is that on a Flat Earth, Australia, South Africa and Argentina are at different locations on the map. You have to prove that on any given night out of the years, the observatories located in these countries, preferably closer to the South Pole, will see the exact same stars in the night sky.

I’m not talking about a computer model, but actual photos that people can go to a website and download them and have a date and time stamp on them.

If you fail to do so, then your Polaris argument has no merit and it brings into big question the validity of the heliocentric fair-tail.

I did a couple of hours searching on the internet today, but I could not find any photos with a date and time stamp from the observatories. Maybe if more people are looking we can find something.

Without these photos, no debate can be start about Polaris, since we have not confirmed that in the southern hemisphere, the people have the same views of the stars in Australia, South Africa and Argentina.

I present to you, the Southern Cross Constellation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_depicting_the_Southern_Cross

I will leave it up to you to determine what this signifies.

Mikey T.

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »

So you accept photographic evidence?  Case closed then, there are literally hundreds of thousands of pictures that show the Earth or a portion of Earth from space. 

Or do you not accept photographic evidence?  You need to choose which first. 

I am on pins and needles. 

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »

Now, if you are OKAY with using internet sourced photos then I will default to the Magellanic Clouds... Only seen from the southern hemisphere, never seen from the northern hemisphere at no time no how....

This is not true. The Large Magellanic Cloud is at declination about −70°, so it's possible to see, at times, from northern latitudes up to about 20° N. The Small Magellanic Cloud, declination −73°, is visible at times as far north as about 17° N latitude. Only the south celestial pole, at -90.00° declination, is not visible from north of the equator (and that's neglecting refraction and the observer's elevation above the horizon, if any).

I think I see what you're trying to say, but your absolute statement is, simply, wrong.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

napoleon

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »
I'm sorry... Did you measure 5000km?
No, I didn't
Did you go out with a measuring wheel and walk that yourself?
No, I didn't
Did you go to the North Pole and verify that Polaris was at 90 degrees?
No
or Verify yourself that at 45N polaris is at 45 degrees?
no

Where are you getting your numbers?
Stellarium and google maps

Do you even know how to spot Polaris?
Yes, the small dipper is a bit tricky but the Big dipper is always clearly in the sky and easy to find.
Do you even live, or have you been at the 45N latitude line?
No, I live at 52N, which is also pretty close to it.
Have you personally measured 45 degrees from 0?
No
And... if you did not yourself measure these distances or angles, then who did?
Computer simulation, 'Stellarium'
I'm giving you Super Duper skeptical Hippo eyes right now...
What is your point? please explain yourself

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 12:02:48 AM »
Can you prove that you can see the Big Dipper from New York City and that you can also see the Big Dipper from Las Angeles or South Korea? And, Can you please provide evidence that Orion's constellation is viewable at certain times and not viewable at other times...

Would you please go out and take your own pictures? I will assume anything from the internet has been altered with Photo Shop...

Thank you

Read the first post that I did on this Thread. If you can't prove that you see the same stars in Australia as in Argentina, then of course you can't see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere.

The Heliocentric High Priest, always bring up Polaris, but when I asked a very basic question, so we can discus about Polaris, that is to prove that from Australia and Argentina you see the same stars at night on the same day, you refuse to do so. I wonder why...

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »

So you accept photographic evidence?  Case closed then, there are literally hundreds of thousands of pictures that show the Earth or a portion of Earth from space. 

I don't accept CGI as photographic evidence!!! Case closed.

Show me a photo from an astronomy observatory from Australia and one from Argentina which states the date and time of the photo, so we can prove to me that you see the same stars at the same time. If no such photograph exists, then it is obvious that you don't see the same stars from the Southern Hemisphere, so how do you expect to see Polaris.

You claim that you can't see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere and in response to you that you don't see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere since you don't see the same stars from Australia and Argentina.

Case Closed. Polaris question answered and proven, since the heliocentric High Priest are unable to prove that in the Southern hemisphere you view the same sky.

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 12:10:43 AM »

This is not true. The Large Magellanic Cloud is at declination about −70°, so it's possible to see, at times, from northern latitudes up to about 20° N. The Small Magellanic Cloud, declination −73°, is visible at times as far north as about 17° N latitude. Only the south celestial pole, at -90.00° declination, is not visible from north of the equator (and that's neglecting refraction and the observer's elevation above the horizon, if any).

I think I see what you're trying to say, but your absolute statement is, simply, wrong.

The question is does the Southern hemisphere see the same stars in all places, like Australia and Argentina? If not, then it is logical not to be able to see Polaris.

Werner Von Braun

napoleon

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »

Thank you

Read the first post that I did on this Thread. If you can't prove that you see the same stars in Australia as in Argentina, then of course you can't see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere.

The Heliocentric High Priest, always bring up Polaris, but when I asked a very basic question, so we can discus about Polaris, that is to prove that from Australia and Argentina you see the same stars at night on the same day, you refuse to do so. I wonder why...
I also wonder why...
how can someone not take a genuine picture of the night sky in Argentina, and then the same night from Australia?
I mean, it is not a big deal...

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 12:59:02 AM »

Thank you

I also wonder why...
how can someone not take a genuine picture of the night sky in Argentina, and then the same night from Australia?

Yes it's not a big deal in what I'm asking for, but it will be the foundation of this discussion. If they can't prove that the stars in Australia and Argentina are the same in the night sky, then how do they want me to explain why you can't see Polaris?

First they have to prove that they see the same stars and then we talk about Polaris.

Werner Von Braun

napoleon

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 01:04:40 AM »

Thank you

I also wonder why...

Yes it's not a big deal in what I'm asking for, but it will be the foundation of this discussion. If they can't prove that the stars in Australia and Argentina are the same in the night sky, then how do they want me to explain why you can't see Polaris?

First they have to prove that they see the same stars and then we talk about Polaris.
<Facepalm>

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 01:40:49 AM »
Case Closed. Polaris question answered and proven, since the heliocentric High Priest are unable to prove that in the Southern hemisphere you view the same sky.

You are a total idiot! Nothing in this thread has proven anything of the kind.
There is no "heliocentric High Priest", let alone anyone on this site.

How can anyone come up with exactly what you ask simply on demand?
Nothing that happens on this site proves anything about the shape of the earth, about astronomy.or anything else.

How on earth do you think that what you say, what I say or what anyone in this little corner of the Web makes the slightest difference to reality.

The earth is the shape it is - end of story.

And the reason that Polaris cannot be seen from south of the equator is simply that it below the horizon.
Whether you believe it or not has not the slightest effect of the facts, though facts never seem to bother you.

Mr InFlatEarth you are totally delusional!

By the way these are some of the common stars seen from down here
The Crux (Southern Cross) and Centaurus Region
by Dipankar Maitra

Hello All,

Rachel and I were in Chile during the last weeks of December 2011. We were often hiking for days inside a national park without internet, and therefore didn’t know about comet Lovejoy... but we took some pictures of the Southern Cross, Centaurus, Magellanic clouds, etc.

This photo shows the constellations of Crux (the Southern Cross) and Centaurus. The photo was taken at 51.006232 S, 73.180446 W, Torres del Payne National Park, Chile on Christmas eve of 2011, at about midnight. Note that the southern sky is still bright!

From: Wide Field Astronomy Pictures The Crux and Centaurus Region
Look at the site for the image without the annotation.
You can look up common constellations seen from Australia in Star Name Registry, Top 4 Constellations Which Are Visible From Australia

Don't blame us for your total ignorance about astronomy.

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 03:26:45 AM »

Thank you

I also wonder why...

Okay, I gotta say something.

Asking people to prove this to you is just plain stupid.  If they weren’t the same you’d think that in the history of the planet someone would have noticed and said by now so the question itself makes no sense.  Usually you have to have some kind of evidence to the contrary to even form the question but that hasn’t happened here.

What’s interesting is you’re demanding something that, realistically, isn’t provable by just posting in a forum.  I mean, all anyone can do is post pictures they found of the night sky from different locations but you could have done that yourself.  Which begs the question, why ask a question you could answer with a simple google search...unless there’s some kind of agenda.  I’ve been a moderator on forums for nearly ten years and to me this, coupled with your other threads, looks like just typical troll behavior.  My opinion FWIW.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

Mikey T.

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »

I don't accept CGI as photographic evidence!!! Case closed.

Show me a photo from an astronomy observatory from Australia and one from Argentina which states the date and time of the photo, so we can prove to me that you see the same stars at the same time. If no such photograph exists, then it is obvious that you don't see the same stars from the Southern Hemisphere, so how do you expect to see Polaris.

You claim that you can't see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere and in response to you that you don't see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere since you don't see the same stars from Australia and Argentina.

What makes you think it's CGI?   
Who gets to decide if it's CGI or a real picture?   
If you can arbitrarily claim CGI for anything you wish, then your demand is meaningless. 
I say the vast majority those pictures are real, you only claim CGI if it disproves your position.  Your demand for pictures is meaningless since they will disprove your position and you are free to claim CGI.

Case closed.

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 04:30:28 AM »

You are a total idiot! Nothing in this thread has proven anything of the kind.
There is no "heliocentric High Priest", let alone anyone on this site.

How can anyone come up with exactly what you ask simply on demand?
Nothing that happens on this site proves anything about the shape of the earth, about astronomy.or anything else.

How on earth do you think that what you say, what I say or what anyone in this little corner of the Web makes the slightest difference to reality.

The earth is the shape it is - end of story.

And the reason that Polaris cannot be seen from south of the equator is simply that it below the horizon.
Whether you believe it or not has not the slightest effect of the facts, though facts never seem to bother you.

Mr InFlatEarth you are totally delusional!

By the way these are some of the common stars seen from down here
The Crux (Southern Cross) and Centaurus Region
by Dipankar Maitra

Hello All,

Rachel and I were in Chile during the last weeks of December 2011. We were often hiking for days inside a national park without internet, and therefore didn’t know about comet Lovejoy... but we took some pictures of the Southern Cross, Centaurus, Magellanic clouds, etc.

This photo shows the constellations of Crux (the Southern Cross) and Centaurus. The photo was taken at 51.006232 S, 73.180446 W, Torres del Payne National Park, Chile on Christmas eve of 2011, at about midnight. Note that the southern sky is still bright!

From: Wide Field Astronomy Pictures The Crux and Centaurus Region
Look at the site for the image without the annotation.
You can look up common constellations seen from Australia in Star Name Registry, Top 4 Constellations Which Are Visible From Australia

Don't blame us for your total ignorance about astronomy.

We have a start. Now for the second link, I did not find a date and time that the photos were taken. The date and time have to be the same. We have to compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges...

Once you find something I will post again on this thread.

Werner Von Braun

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 05:46:58 AM »
We have a start. Now for the second link, I did not find a date and time that the photos were taken. The date and time have to be the same. We have to compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges...

Once you find something I will post again on this thread.
Do what you like!

You are challenging the accepted as the situation in the Southern Hemisphere,
        so the onus is on you to prove that it is incorrect, not up to me or anyone else to defend it!

Not only that, I live here you don't and I know what I see!
If you want to see these things for yourself, YOU travel to South America, South Africa and Australia!

And if you don't post again on this thread, that will be wonderful - you are a totally ignorant time-waster.

So bye bye! Come back when YOU have some solid evidence in favour of your case.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:08 AM »

The question is does the Southern hemisphere see the same stars in all places, like Australia and Argentina? If not, then it is logical not to be able to see Polaris.
Do you believe that there are astronomers and observatories in places like Australia and Argentina?

Do you believe that some of those astronomers in the different countries and observatories might talk to each other every now and then?

Do you think that the topic of whether or not they're looking at the same stars would ever come up?

I think that it's logical to conclude that astronomers in the southern hemisphere would notice if they weren't looking at the same stars.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

RocketSauce

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »

I understand speaking in absolutes is tricky... but sometimes you just need to Emphasis something with a couple F words and a few absolutes... Also, being in New York City, I can barely see any of my beloved stars anyways...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:41:48 AM by RocketSauce »

*fact*

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
Also, being in New York City, I can see any of my beloved stars anyways...
Yeah, there's a reason why no one builds observatories in big (or even small) cities.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.