Encyclopedia Americana dome at 13,000 ft

• 78 Replies
Re: Encyclopedia Americana dome at 13,000 ft
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 05:45:39 AM »
You may be able to purge or change information electronically, but books remain for ever

Why don't you go and boil your head!

Or maybe I can go to the Heliocentric Indoctrination Program like the below poor fellow

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
To simply dismiss the concept of God as being unscientific is to violate the very objectivity of science itself.

My experiences with science led me to God.

The Truth Will Set You Free

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »

Why don't you go and boil your head!

Now that's how you make a pot of shit tea

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 05:49:12 AM »
How many kilometer apart are the two places, oh yes ,244 km. which is equivalent distance between the cities of Washington DC and Morgantown, West Virginia. Do you now what is in between those two cities, the Appalachian mountains ...
Who gives a shit?
That doesn't help your case at all.
You are completely ignoring the argument presented.

Now then, are you planing on providing any kind of rational argument?

OK if location and distances don't matter, then the Amazon river runs in the middle of Nevada, that is a couple thousand mile differences make when considering the scale of the earth.

To simply dismiss the concept of God as being unscientific is to violate the very objectivity of science itself.

Werner Von Braun

Werner Von Braun

JackBlack

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 06:44:17 AM »
OK if location and distances don't matter, then the Amazon river runs in the middle of Nevada, that is a couple thousand mile differences make when considering the scale of the earth.
Again, no one said that.
Can you provide any rational argument?

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
Yet to see a reference showing that this is the case.

Could not find any mention of a dome at the latitude of 80 S and Longitude 90 East, can you

https://www.britannica.com/place/Antarctica

Yes.

Relief
Antarctica, with an average elevation of about 7,200 feet (2,200 metres) above sea level, is the world’s highest continent. (Asia, the next, averages about 3,000 feet.) The vast ice sheets of East Antarctica reach heights of 11,500 feet or more in four main centres: Dome A (Argus) at 81° S, 77° E; Dome C at 75° S, 125° E; Dome Fuji at 77° S, 40° E; and Vostok station at 77° S, 104° E.

Amazingly, the location was refined a little (but not much) from a brief mention in passing in 1958, when the continent was largely unexplored, to a more detailed listing after it was well mapped a couple of decades later.

Where's the reference to the Encyclopedia Americana article you are complaining about? Have you read it? Does it mention Dome A (Argus)? If so, there's your "mysterious disappearance". No Men in Black, no skulduggery needed. Sorry.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
@inflatesrth

Cam you not understand that you read a you tube video  which was fulll of misinformation  and that you are barking up the wrong tree?
You are either ignorant or troll.
Admit you were wrong or stfu.

Persistent ignorance makes you look like a twat.

Do you we to be a  twat?

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 12:44:38 PM »
Question, does

Dome A (Argus) at 81° S, 77° E = 80 S and Longitude 90 East,

Are they at the same spot???

If yes, then you should go work for NASA

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
Encyclopedia Americana....how should we trust a book that is about a continent that we don`t even know that is exists? Where are the proofs that "America" exists? Isn`t it also just conspiracy by the government and NASA?

Please post another source, and not from something we clearly can`t be certain.

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
Encyclopedia Americana....how should we trust a book that is about a continent that we don`t even know that is exists? Where are the proofs that "America" exists? Isn`t it also just conspiracy by the government and NASA?

I will try from your professor, but he is busy right now

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »

I will try from your professor, but he is busy right now

Huh, what is your problem, I am also a flat earther just like you and believe this, but you can`t tell me that you believe America is real? I thought you were smart...

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Question, does

81° S, 77° E = approximately 80° S, 90° E, so, to answer your question, yes. How accurate was that 80°S, 90°E reference? I bet you don't know. Do you know if they even located the high point of Dome A, or only knew they were in the general area of it (on the scale of a continent)? I'll bet the answer to that question is no.

Apparently. Dome A is what was reported. Here's what was said:

Quote from:
Four United States planes flew from New Zealand to McMurdo Sound on Dec 20, 1955, and made exploratory flights over unknown parts of the continent until Jan 18, 1956, when they returned to New Zealand. These flights proved the inland areas to be featureless in character, with a dome 13,000 feet high at about latitude 80°S, longitude 90°E.

"About". If you think they meant latitude 80.00°S, longitude 90.00°E, you're simply mistaken.

They reported results from a project to explore a large, featureless, previously unknown area that found a high point culminating at 13,000 feet, somewhere around 80°S, 90°E, based on a month's worth of long-distance recon flights over a vast plateau, with each flight requiring a return to base. The reported location is almost 1,000 miles from McMurdo (great circle distance), the actual high point is even further, and they had a vast area to explore; how dense a pattern do you think they flew? How rounded off is that mention in passing in a general-purpose encyclopedia? Why not do some research and see if you can find how much data they collected over that 1955-56 season and where they flew?

Sure sounds like Dome A (13,428 ft) to me.

The United States Antarctic Program is funded and coordinated by the National Science Foundation, not NASA. I'd love to go back to Antarctica on a project, but I was 40 years younger four decades ago and I doubt they want to be responsible for someone my age now, even though I'm still in good health.

Any more questions?

I take it you haven't located the '70s version of that encyclopedia, so you still haven't confirmed if the 13,000+ foot dome is "missing".
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

JackBlack

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
Question, does

How accurate are those locations?
Is that 80 degree south to a single degree, the nearest 10? What?
What about 90 degrees east?

It is quite understandable that the earlier measurements taken from a plane will be rough, and that the newer measurements, likely taken from land, probably with the assistance of GPS, will be much more accurate.

As such, I am happy to accept they are the same spot. The first set of numbers (chronologically) just had more error.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
Question, does

81° S, 77° E = approximately 80° S, 90° E, so, to answer your question, yes. How accurate was that 80°S, 90°E reference? I bet you don't know. Do you know if they even located the high point of Dome A, or only knew they were in the general area of it (on the scale of a continent)? I'll bet the answer to that question is no.

Apparently. Dome A is what was reported. Here's what was said:

Quote from:
Four United States planes flew from New Zealand to McMurdo Sound on Dec 20, 1955, and made exploratory flights over unknown parts of the continent until Jan 18, 1956, when they returned to New Zealand. These flights proved the inland areas to be featureless in character, with a dome 13,000 feet high at about latitude 80°S, longitude 90°E.

"About". If you think they meant latitude 80.00°S, longitude 90.00°E, you're simply mistaken.

They reported results from a project to explore a large, featureless, previously unknown area that found a high point culminating at 13,000 feet, somewhere around 80°S, 90°E, based on a month's worth of long-distance recon flights over a vast plateau, with each flight requiring a return to base. The reported location is almost 1,000 miles from McMurdo (great circle distance), the actual high point is even further, and they had a vast area to explore; how dense a pattern do you think they flew? How rounded off is that mention in passing in a general-purpose encyclopedia? Why not do some research and see if you can find how much data they collected over that 1955-56 season and where they flew?

Sure sounds like Dome A (13,428 ft) to me.

The United States Antarctic Program is funded and coordinated by the National Science Foundation, not NASA. I'd love to go back to Antarctica on a project, but I was 40 years younger four decades ago and I doubt they want to be responsible for someone my age now, even though I'm still in good health.

Any more questions?

I take it you haven't located the '70s version of that encyclopedia, so you still haven't confirmed if the 13,000+ foot dome is "missing".

81° S, 77° E = approximately 80° S, 90° E

That is like saying that a C grade in an exam is approximately and A.

But I'm sure that you got your grades in school the where all "Fantastic", is that not what F stands for...

Werner Von Braun

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 11:30:49 PM »
If I was to get a standard 12" globe of the Earth and put my finger on the approximate location of Dome A, it would comfortably cover both points.

Got that book with the references to a dome removed for us yet?
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 11:39:16 PM »
If I was to get a standard 12" globe of the Earth and put my finger on the approximate location of Dome A, it would comfortably cover both points.

Got that book with the references to a dome removed for us yet?

And if would draw a vertical line on an F, I could make it an A

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »
Also if I would put my finger on a 12 inch globe, I bet you I could cover New Jersey and New York with my finger also.

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:20 AM »
He presented the numerical data in the plots. I say that the accuracy displayed there can not be achieved with his equipment.

I would expect the precision of the results to be of order 5-10%, but this is just a rough guess and definitely depends on the used method.
As he wants to determine a 0.25% difference (at most), I would want an accuracy at this order of magnitude.

But please be honest with youself: Do you really think the obtained data with only 0.5% deviation can be obtained with an iphone 7 video camera and a person jumping?
I am actually curious in your honest answer InFlatEarth. If you guys want more, here is the matlab code I used to "analyze" the data:

fake = zeros(1,100);
fake(1:100) = 9.807;
fluc =  rand([2 100]);
fluc2 =  (fluc-0.5)./1000;
data = fluc2+9.807
trial = 1:1:100;
figure(1)
plot(trial,data(1,:),'b-o')
title('New York State');
xlabel('Trial Number');
ylabel('Acceleration of Gravity');
hold on
plot(trial,fake,'r');
legend('Measured Values','Average');
figure(2)
plot(trial,data(2,:),'b-o')
title('Indonesia');
xlabel('Trial Number');
ylabel('Acceleration of Gravity');
hold on
plot(trial,fake,'r');
legend('Measured Values','Average');

I apologize to the people who put effort into showing me the flaws in my "methods". I did learn about the existence of a gravimeter from you guys though. InFlatEarth, I appreciate you defending me, but your defenses don't really make any sense. I did graduate from GW but I have not been a PhD student for two years. In truth, I just graduated College and am starting my PhD at CMU this fall. In the words of my favorite cartoon character ever, "I just got bored. Everybody out." ... JimmyTheCrab probably gets that reference ;)

Remember this thread?

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 12:14:50 AM »
Do you remember the FBD of an airplane landing?

Or the citation that I have asked that calculates how the earth atmosphere rotates with the earth?

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:12 AM »
No I don't, because I have no interest in engaging your questions. I'm just here to point out the fact that you are FAR less intelligent than you think you are.

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 12:30:37 AM »
No I don't, because I have no interest in engaging your questions. I'm just here to point out the fact that you are FAR less intelligent than you think you are.

Best response in the entire thread!

JackBlack

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 02:59:33 AM »
No, it is more akin to saying that 9.8 m/s^2 =~10 m/s, or 1 bar=~ 1atm, or 1 mmHg=~1 torr.

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 03:29:17 AM »
No, it is more akin to saying that 9.8 m/s^2 =~10 m/s, or 1 bar=~ 1atm, or 1 mmHg=~1 torr.

And in a universal scale, our solar system is next to Polaris....

Werner Von Braun

JackBlack

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 04:12:46 AM »
Yes, scale is important.
So how accurate were the earlier measurements? Obtained by trying to spot the peak and determine its location while flying past it at some unknown distance?

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »

That is like saying that a C grade in an exam is approximately and A.

No, that's like saying a grade of 97 is close enough to perfect that it's considered an 'A'. In the school systems I'm familiar with, a low 'A' would be 13% or more than higher than a 'C', and perfect would be 25% higher. If they'd misstated the location by 1000 miles or more, you might have a point.

But I'm sure that you got your grades in school the where all "Fantastic", is that not what F stands for...

Is that what you told your parents? Did they believe you?

And if would draw a vertical line on an F, I could make it an A

Was that your strategy after "redefining" what 'F' meant got overused? Did your parents buy that? How many times?

Yes! Even on a galactic scale our solar system is right next to Polaris.

Now you're getting it. Scale matters!

Did you ever find the locations of those 1955-56 Antarctic flights? Did you ever locate the later version of the Encyclopedia Americana to see if the reported location of Dome A had been refined, or if mention of it had been simply dropped?

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »
Yes, scale is important.
So how accurate were the earlier measurements? Obtained by trying to spot the peak and determine its location while flying past it at some unknown distance?

if the US air-force could drop a bomb on Hiroshima in 1946, then they can be accurate with their navigation 10 years later

Werner Von Braun

?

Kami

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
Yes, scale is important.

if the US air-force could drop a bomb on Hiroshima in 1946, then they can be accurate with their navigation 10 years later

On a mapped country with roads, rivers, forests, mountains and cities, all well documented and mapped out. Not on a relatively uniform continent of ice.

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
Yes, scale is important.

Not on a relatively uniform continent of ice.

...whose landscape changes as the ice deforms, ablates and accumulates over time.
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
You think that they navigated to Hiroshima buy following a road map?

They used a compass, air speed and mathematics to get their positioning.

Werner Von Braun