Flat Earth Models

• 6 Replies
Flat Earth Models
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Two questions:

1. Has anyone created a representative model of the way the sun travels and lights the day, and doesn't effect other parts of the world? I'm not sure I understand how this could be possible. I understand the idea of the Sun moving in a circle around the Earth at 0 degrees latitude, but then wouldn't seasons be a problem? If it "shifts" 20 degrees North in the US's summer, wouldn't that mean that it would be daylight on the Northern 70+ latitude of what is traditionally thought of as the other side of the globe?

2. I've seen flat earth maps, but none of them have a scale. It seems to me that you could easily prove the Earth is flat by traveling far South (say 70 degrees latitude South) and then circumnavigating the Earth. According to popular science, this should be a relatively short distance (idk maybe 5000 km). Looking at the Flat Earth maps, it looks like this should be an incredibly large distance (maybe 40,000km?).   

Mikey T.

Re: Flat Earth Models
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
No, there are no FE maps, models, etc.  that you can study. 
Easy reason, they don't work with reality.  No FE model can simultaneously address all we see in reality without contradicting itself.  Just the movements of the stars, Moon, and the Sun cannot be modeled on a FE disc that agrees with reality at all points on the GLOBE simultaneously.  Southern circumpolar stars, Sunset/Sunrise, etc.  Try to shoehorn one and you break another, it's like a jigsaw puzzle using one single piece each from hundreds of different puzzles, it just doesn't fit.

Buzga

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »
Two questions:

1. Has anyone created a representative model of the way the sun travels and lights the day, and doesn't effect other parts of the world? I'm not sure I understand how this could be possible. I understand the idea of the Sun moving in a circle around the Earth at 0 degrees latitude, but then wouldn't seasons be a problem? If it "shifts" 20 degrees North in the US's summer, wouldn't that mean that it would be daylight on the Northern 70+ latitude of what is traditionally thought of as the other side of the globe?

2. I've seen flat earth maps, but none of them have a scale. It seems to me that you could easily prove the Earth is flat by traveling far South (say 70 degrees latitude South) and then circumnavigating the Earth. According to popular science, this should be a relatively short distance (idk maybe 5000 km). Looking at the Flat Earth maps, it looks like this should be an incredibly large distance (maybe 40,000km?).

They say this:

1. For equinoxin March sun circulates directly above equator.
Then that circle reduces and in June sun circulates above tropic of cancer, at 23.5 degrees north.
Then back to equator in September.
Then circle keeps getting bigger and in December sun circulates above tropic of capricorn, at 23.5 degrees south.

I don't know how it works on Bipolar Projection.
They don't know either.

2. Speaking of scale, distance from north pole to equator is 10 000 kilometers (6200 miles).
So, circumference of the equator would be 2*6200*3.14=39 000 miles.
In reality, it is 40 000 kilometers (24 900 miles).
At 70 degrees south the radius on FE is 11 000 miles, and circular flight would be 69 000 miles.
In reality it is 8500 miles. Airbus A300 at speed of 560 mph will fly 15 hours and 10 minutes.

This is one of the examples why they avoid scales and measures.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:45:54 PM by Buzga »
BELIEVE vs KNOW vs UNDERSTAND

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:23:31 AM »
Two questions:

1 - There are some representations which get the angle to the sun wrong for pretty much everywhere.

During the northern summer the Artic circle experiences 24 hours of daylight everywhere.

2 - The issue is that like all projections of the globe, the scale changes depending upon what you measure and how you measure it.
The common FE map has a scale where the distance from the north pole to the equator is 10 000 km and distances along lines going directly from or to the north pole are to scale. All other distances, even though they should be to scale, are not and there is no way to make a scale map which matches reality.

40 000 km is the actual distance around the equator. On the FE maps, it is more like 60 000 km.
70 degrees south is even larger, roughly 112 000 km.
Yet there is a yacht race which completes that journey rather quickly, not to mention all the Japanese whaling vessels and the like.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:50:41 PM »
40 000 km is the actual distance around the equator. On the FE maps, it is more like 60 000 km.
70 degrees south is even larger, roughly 112 000 km.
Yet there is a yacht race which completes that journey rather quickly, not to mention all the Japanese whaling vessels and the like.
I live in Australia and here the massive differences between the,  :P we don't have an official map :P map and zctual distsnces on the ground are apparent even for short journeys by car.
For example travelling west from here, Blacksoil and Withcott are almost on the same latitude and distances are:
Direct on the North Polar AEP map: 154 km, direct on GPS map: 67 km and road distance: 71.4 km.

Another example, in Western Audtralia, from Balladonia to Eucla and distances are:
Direct on the North Polar AEP map: 1,250 km, direct on GPS map: 503 km and road distance (GPS and actual car oddo): 532 km, including small side trip.
The North Polar AEP map is so far out in Australia that you only need to travel a short distance to show that it is totally wrong.
Yet flat earthers, especially those on YouTube seem to defend it with their life.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
Flat Earthers don't seem to grasp the concept of map projections or the distortions that must, of necessity, exist in flat maps of a round earth (and, yes, it must be a round earth because the actual travel distance actually experienced in real life between, say, Australia and India, never matches the apparent measurements on a flat map of the world).

Flat Earthers, like many kinds of cranks (my other speciality of cranks are the "Sovereign Citizens" and their harebrained theories of not paying taxes or mortgages), do something analogous to cheating at cards.  They throw out various reliable things - like that map with the North Pole in the center and the South Pole spread all around the circumference - and then deal from the bottom by tossing in a completely false claim so casually that they hope nobody questions it, namely that Antarctica is mysteriously forbidden to visitors like Area 51 and there are armed sentries to keep tourists away.  There is no truth to that claim and dozens of people visit Antarctica every year to study the penguins or the glaciers, and ocean liners circumnavigate the whole of Antarctica with several stops to let passengers ashore -- and since Antarctica can be circumnavigated then it clearly is not surrounding the rim of a flat planet.

neutrino

• FET is a religion. You can't fight faith.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:59:36 AM »
Stop talking lies you globuralists. I have a working model with sunsets and sunrises. It is called Flat Earth Huge Toilet Super Mario model or in short FEHTSM. Here it is:

Please ask questions I can answer everything!
FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.