Where does the sun go at night?

• 17 Replies

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
Where does the sun go at night?
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
The more highly evolved published flat earth theories,  have the sun light bending in weird ways at the horizon,  but the newish converts like "Resistance is Futile"  and "Dutchy"  seem blissfully unaware of the problem that sunsets and sunrises cause for flat earth theorists.

So where do they think the sun goes at night?

And,  please don't say the other side or spotlight,  we know those ideas don't work.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Where does the sun go at night?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
I have a better question:  If boats over the horizon can allegedly be restored by magnification, then why can't the sun over the horizon be restored with magnification?  One would thing that international flights at night should be above enough of the atmoplane where the "air isn't completely transparent" shouldn't be an issue.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »
Or why can we see the sun across the whole world in one scenario, but fail to see it at a much shorter distance in another?
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
Now that's an interesting question because, if the earth is flat, it presents some problems. 

The usual FE notion is that flat surface of the earth is atop something substantial, like a huge tree stump, or a pillar, or a stack of turtles.  Which means that, though the sun (and moon) may go straight east to west, once they are over the horizon they must take a detour around the stack of turtles to get back to the proper rising position in the east.

A minority FE notion is that the flat surface actually spreads out to infinity, which means there is an unlimited amount of territory (and/or ocean and/or ice) beyond the known geography in all directions -- a very tempting opportunity for exploration and exploitation -- but that raises questions of where the sun (and moon and stars) go when they go down in the west; apparently they cannot go down below the horizon, they cannot go under the surface of the flat earth from the west to the east, so apparently the sun, moon, and stars catch a train in the west that chugs around the known earth in exactly 12 hours to enable them all to rise in the east at the appropriate time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:35:15 PM by Cartog »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:34:42 PM »
The more highly evolved published flat earth theories,  have the sun light bending in weird ways at the horizon,  but the newish converts like "Resistance is Futile"  and "Dutchy"  seem blissfully unaware of the problem that sunsets and sunrises cause for flat earth theorists.

And,  please don't say the other side or spotlight,  we know those ideas don't work.
Well that depends,
there is one short passage in the Babylonian Talmud—a mere five lines in length—
which brings the entire issue into sharp focus, since it describes the Sages themselves
admitting error on their part. The Talmud describes a dispute between Jewish and gentile
scholars relating to aspects of cosmology, and concludes with Judah the Patriarch
conceding that the gentile scholars appear to be correct:
          The Sages of Israel say, During the day, the sun travels below the firmament, and at night,
          above the firmament. And the scholars of the nations say, During the day the sun travels
          below the firmament, and at night below the ground. Rebbi said: Their words seem more
          correct than ours, for during the day the wellsprings are cool and at night they steam (due
          to being heated by the sun passing beneath them—Rashi). (Pesahim 94b)

So, at night does the sun travel above the firmament or below the ground?

It makes as much sense as the "spotlight sun"
circulating above the flat earth, yet almost suddenly disappearing at night to pop up on the other side.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:41:37 PM »

Well that depends,
there is one short passage in the Babylonian Talmud—a mere five lines in length—
which brings the entire issue into sharp focus, since it describes the Sages themselves
admitting error on their part. The Talmud describes a dispute between Jewish and gentile
scholars relating to aspects of cosmology, and concludes with Judah the Patriarch
conceding that the gentile scholars appear to be correct:
          The Sages of Israel say, During the day, the sun travels below the firmament, and at night,
          above the firmament. And the scholars of the nations say, During the day the sun travels
          below the firmament, and at night below the ground. Rebbi said: Their words seem more
          correct than ours, for during the day the wellsprings are cool and at night they steam (due
          to being heated by the sun passing beneath them—Rashi). (Pesahim 94b)

So, at night does the sun travel above the firmament or below the ground?

It makes as much sense as the "spotlight sun"
circulating above the flat earth, yet almost suddenly disappearing at night to pop up on the other side.

Once the neophyte flat earther realizes the degree of difficulty that this problem presents,   they usually get angry and resort to hand waving and eventually fall back onto "bendy light"  :)

neutrino

• FET is a religion. You can't fight faith.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:20:49 AM »
The Sun is flushed in a HUGE toilet and in the morning Super Mario gets it out of a drainage system.
FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
The Sun is flushed in a HUGE toilet and in the morning Super Mario gets it out of a drainage system.
That's pretty close to the ancient Chinese version,
except that in the morning it somehow pops up again out of the sink at the other end of the house.
Dat's my story, and I'm stickin' tuit.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:46:50 AM »
Interesting,  looks like the flat earthers don't want to play the bendy light game?

Sentinel

• Open your eyes...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 02:59:53 AM »
Interesting,  looks like the flat earthers don't want to play the bendy light game?

They burnt their palms in the past already by doing so. I guess they're able to learn after all...
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 03:59:37 AM »

I have seen this myself!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

neutrino

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 04:05:03 AM »
Thanks, Here to laugh at you,

No other proof needed!  ;D ;D
FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
Well, obviously Helios and his horses need some rest, so they just go to Helio's Cottage beyond the horizon to take a nap.

You Round Earthes, must we have to explain everything to you?

....said he in a sarcastical tone.

neutrino

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »

No no. I'm pretty serious about that. And we have a PROOF! Here to laugh at you saw it with HIS OWN EYES!!!

So I propose a Flat Earth Huge Toilet Super Mario Theory! = FEHTSMT. I'll be working on developments for some time. Now you can call my Flat Earth Scientist just like John Davis!!

neutrino

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »
Here is my proposal.

I have already many questions answered. SO ask whatever you want.

Too bad Jane forgot this forum. She loves new theories!!

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »

No no. I'm pretty serious about that. And we have a PROOF! Here to laugh at you saw it with HIS OWN EYES!!!

So I propose a Flat Earth Huge Toilet Super Mario Theory! = FEHTSMT. I'll be working on developments for some time. Now you can call my Flat Earth Scientist just like John Davis!!

John Davis is not Flat Earth Scientist. FES was a star that shined a little too bright and faded just as quickly as he came into our lives.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 01:05:30 AM »
Here is my proposal.

I have already many questions answered. SO ask whatever you want.

I was wondering about the moon,  but now I'm afraid to ask...

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:11:11 AM »
The sun is always shining somewhere.