Is Science the new Religion ?

• 347 Replies

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Is Science the new Religion ?
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »

There is no "hypothetical science". What could be called as such would be a hypothesis that cannot yet be tested. It is still science. It is the task of experimental or observational science to find ways to test a hypothesis. As soon as a hypothesis can be tested, it can either be proven wrong (falsified) or not. A hypothesis is tested by observing if its predictions are accurate.

like Earth Heating.

1001 predictions - Zero proof?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
I'm to dumb to look at a graph

I somehow don't believe you

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »

Stop proving what I am saying about you religious people.

The sentence makes no sense.

Can you please try to understand that science is about evidence; truth is a colloquial term.

I just want to help you to cover up that you are an idiot. Posting shit you find on the internet to sound knowledgeable, as you like to do, is insufficient for that. How do you think you can hoax somebody into believing that you ever did any kind of "research" when all you say about science sounds as if you have directly copied it from Ken Ham?

There is no "hypothetical science". What could be called as such would be a hypothesis that cannot yet be tested. It is still science. It is the task of experimental or observational science to find ways to test a hypothesis. As soon as a hypothesis can be tested, it can either be proven wrong (falsified) or not. A hypothesis is tested by observing if its predictions are accurate.

Science is a method, nothing more. It allows us to gain knowledge about the unobservable by analyzing the observable. By analyzing the spectra of stars we gain knowledge about their composition. By observing the fossil record we gain knowledge about past life. It is essentially the same what a hunter does when he observes the traits of an animal and gains knowledge about the animal itself although he cannot observe it.

Different from science is scientizism. It is the worldview, that the scientific method is the only way for humans to gain knowledge, that is "scientific evidence" is identified with "truth". This claim is not part of the scientific method itself. You can call that a belief, but it is still not a religion, because it has no rites.

I can't see where there is any place for religion. All religions I know contain statements about history (there own history) and in many cases also about biology, cosmology etc which can easily be proven to be wrong. You will never be able to understand that because you lack the intellectual sincerity to accept that principally the same methods of scrutiny that can be applied for analyzing a technical device can also be applied for a historical text or a paleontological site.

Insults, calling me an idiot because I question the validity of faith and opinion stated as "fact"... Just as I keep saying you religious people act.

As I have said many times, I know scientific method, my entire profession/business/livelihood depends on it....There is no room for opinion/agenda or any form of belief (yes you can believe an idea will work, but if proven wrong through actual scientific method then it is trashed or reworked...it doesn't continue to production and passed as a working unit)

Ok fine...we won't call your "science" a religion or "hypothetical science" ..we will call it as you say, a belief.

Though I will say this, it sure walks, talks and looks like one.

And one more thing, it certainly isn't science
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »

Shhhhhhh   ;)

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »
...said many times...know scientific method...profession/business/livelihood....

« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »

As for my attacking and insults in the other thread, as you claim - I think I already answered Shifter in that regard - that my words were mere reflections to his insults (User), prior to mine.

I never attack anyone unless attacked by them!

You threat was generaly, you said:
"I will break the neck of someone that insult my god"

You say that you are willing to kill somebody because that one said something you did not like.

It is quit a overreaction to murder somebody for an verbal attack.

You are getting lower each time you post something like that.

As a believer in some kind of the Christian religion  do you not have to follow the 10 commandments? Especially: you shall not kill.
Or is it on of the things that is put in the Bible by the corrupt people, as you claimed

Listen to me CB, you can continue on twisting my words as you wish, although I explained to you that what I said is a phrase which means I will teach him a lesson he won't forget,  and surely didn't mean to kill anybody.

Haven't you heard this phrase before? 

But you can believe what you want to believe regardless of what I say here,  and I am really tired of trying to prove myself to you guys.

Obviously I don't belong here where constantly and intentionally I'm misunderstood by the many,  just because I have a different way of defending my belief.

If I have ever insulted anyone, I do apologise for that and asking for your forgiveness.

I wish you all the best in life and in your quest in finding the truth about our reality.

I shall miss some of our conversations regardless of our differences!

Fare well and good bye...
God—the knower—is non-dimensional.
God's thinking is two-dimensional.
God's creative actions are three-dimensional.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »

But that's OK. I don't even know the difference between to and too.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
I'm Bots and never mak a tyop.

Great, buddy. Looking forward to the "flat earth meet-up"?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
I'm Bots and never mak a tyop. At least not when I'm implying that others are intellectually inferior because they don't see things the way I do.

Great, buddy. Looking forward to the "flat earth meet-up"?

ftfy

Well I doubt I'll make it, but it sounds like fun!

Bom Tishop

« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
...said many times...know scientific method...profession/business/livelihood....

Lol, are you even trying anymore?

I notice you won't answer certain questions, I wonder why? Are you in a corner sir?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
I notice you won't answer certain questions, I wonder why? Are you in a corner sir?

Yes, I'm in the corner, Babybrain, whatever, why not.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
I can still see your foot

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »

FWIW . . .

That's not an actual quote. Just his feeble attempt to obfuscate. 

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »
Those are really totallackey level tactics. Since I like to think of myself as at least average level intelligence as well as a grown-up, I'm embarrassed to have taken part! :-[
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:04:00 PM by Boots »

« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:07 AM »
I think the problem with this thread is it follows the old adage, if you can't construct a good argument against it then, the best thing to do is discredit it.

Everyone who knows anything about science knows that in the end truth will out. Sure the road will be bumpy and their be lots of disagreements about competing ideas, but in the end the one that works will be the one left standing. In addition science discovers new things that add to our knowledge that gives us a better understanding of how our world and the universe operates.

Religion love it or hate it does not operate like science, evidence, experimental data, p,any no part. In contrast religion operates on belief, in that you either believe it or not. In religion you also have a very wide choice from the many religions currently on offer. But mostly what religion you follow is based on either your parents or postcode/zip code.

In down town Islamabad you are much more likely to be a follower of Islam than Judaism for example, why?....because that's were you were brought up, that's were you live, nothing to do with which ones most attractive, or has the better god. Science does not operate in that way.

The initial question was a vain attempt to pull science down into the mire of confusion where religion reigns supreme.

I've never heard about murders or killings being done in the name of science, but unfortunatly it appears to be a daily occourance when it comes to religion.

« Reply #345 on: June 07, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
This is the stupidest post i have seen in this site, and that's saying too much, considering this is a FES site.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »

Can you please try to understand that science is about evidence; truth is a colloquial term.

I just want to help you to cover up that you are an idiot. Posting shit you find on the internet to sound knowledgeable, as you like to do, is insufficient for that. How do you think you can hoax somebody into believing that you ever did any kind of "research" when all you say about science sounds as if you have directly copied it from Ken Ham?

Science is a method, nothing more. It allows us to gain knowledge about the unobservable by analyzing the observable. By analyzing the spectra of stars we gain knowledge about their composition. By observing the fossil record we gain knowledge about past life. It is essentially the same what a hunter does when he observes the traits of an animal and gains knowledge about the animal itself although he cannot observe it.

Different from science is scientizism. It is the worldview, that the scientific method is the only way for humans to gain knowledge, that is "scientific evidence" is identified with "truth". This claim is not part of the scientific method itself. You can call that a belief, but it is still not a religion, because it has no rites.

I can't see where there is any place for religion. All religions I know contain statements about history (there own history) and in many cases also about biology, cosmology etc which can easily be proven to be wrong. You will never be able to understand that because you lack the intellectual sincerity to accept that principally the same methods of scrutiny that can be applied for analyzing a technical device can also be applied for a historical text or a paleontological site.

Insults, calling me an idiot because I question the validity of faith and opinion stated as "fact"... Just as I keep saying you religious people act.

As I have said many times, I know scientific method, my entire profession/business/livelihood depends on it....There is no room for opinion/agenda or any form of belief (yes you can believe an idea will work, but if proven wrong through actual scientific method then it is trashed or reworked...it doesn't continue to production and passed as a working unit)

Ok fine...we won't call your "science" a religion or "hypothetical science" ..we will call it as you say, a belief.

I have a feeling you call science "hypothetical science" when it disagrees with you.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2017, 06:35:26 AM »

I have a feeling you call science "hypothetical science" when it disagrees with you.

No I think "science" is for him, what the founding fathers would have called "useful arts" in 18th century language. Science, he thinks, is how to make a smartphone or a car.