Is Science the new Religion ?

• 347 Replies
Re: Is Science the new Religion ?
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
Lol...Canadabear, you and those like you speak as those in a cult.

It's funny at times,

Annoying others,

As well as disturbing on top of that...

I think you are more a member of a cult.

The only cult I follow is that I like to see evidence for claims that somebody makes.

As I saw from you posts on threads here you are a member of the cult to believe in a idea without any evidence.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
The St. George’s Channel between Holyhead and Kingstown Harbor near Dublin is 60 miles across. When half-way across a ferry passenger will notice behind them the light on Holyhead pier as well as in front of them the Poolbeg light in Dublin Bay. The Holyhead Pier light is 44 feet high, while the Poolbeg lighthouse 68 feet, therefore a vessel in the middle of the channel, 30 miles from either side standing on a deck 24 feet above the water, can clearly see both lights. On a ball Earth 25,000 miles in circumference, however, both lights should be hidden well below both horizons by over 300 feet!

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html?m=1

please provide the source of your information that both lights are visible.
I like to check that.

The source is irrelevant it is something us Brits can verify for ourselves .
I expected you to say it was a superior mirage or refraction.

You are correct,  it  is most likely refraction at those heights and distances.    It only takes a vertical temperature gradient of 0.11 degrees C per meter to bend light sufficiently  to match the curvature of the earth.  Temperature gradients of that magnitude and more are common over water. 

It's unlikely to be a mirage,  looming is more likely.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »

I suppose to the ignorant or uneducated,  science can seem like a cult.  It has it's own laws and jargon.   

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:35:15 PM by Rayzor »

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

It's funny at times,

Annoying others,

As well as disturbing on top of that...

I think you are more a member of a cult.

The only cult I follow is that I like to see evidence for claims that somebody makes.

As I saw from you posts on threads here you are a member of the cult to believe in a idea without any evidence.

Evidence lol... Right...

That word gets thrown around like hotcakes with no foundation these days in many areas.

I suppose to the ignorant or uneducated,  science can seem like a cult.  It has it's own laws and jargon.   

Typically it's the ignorant and uneducated that parrot whatever they were told to parrot without understanding a single line of it.

Many times it's religion, just as many times now it is "science" unfortunately. A system that is abused for agenda/group think and lost its useful roots in many sects.

I have already stated the difference in real science and "religious science"...I live and approve of the former, not latter. Though the latter is just fine as long as it isn't touted as "fact"... Herein lies the problem.

With research and critical thinking, avoiding the "conclusions" of researchers in such hypothetical rhetoric, and studying just the data... You learn how weak the house of cards really is (5 percent science, 95 percent conclusion of whatever the agenda/group think postulates).. Simply group think and agenda. However I can say the exact same with organized religion. You actually study the source material (speaking of Christianity), you understand most churches are simply a business, following the greed and power manual and not the source the belief is based off of.

I am equal opportunity in my distain for lies, agenda and group think no matter the source
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »
With research and critical thinking, avoiding the "conclusions" of researchers in such hypothetical rhetoric, and studying just the data... You learn how weak the house of cards really is (5 percent science, 95 percent conclusion of whatever the agenda/group think postulates).. Simply group think and agenda. However I can say the exact same with organized religion. You actually study the source material (speaking of Christianity), you understand most churches are simply a business, following the greed and power manual and not the source the belief is based off of.

Interesting point here.
Would you mind deliver some examples? Does this apply to all parts of science?
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Bom Tishop

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
Interesting point here.
Would you mind deliver some examples? Does this apply to all parts of science?

No, and you know this. I have been very clear on the difference between real science and hypothetical science. My distain is only for hypothetical science, and not even the product itself, but how it is used and abused. It is simply the god of a religion...

Real science there is no room for opinions, group think, personal feelings or anyone's agenda. It's binary, either a yes or no, it works or it doesn't..Doesn't matter how you feel about it or what you wanted/needed.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »
I don't know exactely about ME, but in a lot of science (biology/chemistry) things often are far from being binary.

Would you still call them 'real science'?
What is if something (e.g. medication) works, but the working mechanisms are not understood very well? Is it science?

Again; how can you say you could draw a clear line between real and hypothetical science? How are they even distinguishable?

Member of the BOTD

Bom Tishop

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »
What is if something (e.g. medication) works, but the working mechanisms are not understood very well? Is it science?

That is still observable facts we can records, replicate, study etc etc etc...Even if we don't understand the exact catalyst.

Gravity would be another good example...

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »
So, if in 'hypothetical science' we can replicate an experiment, this means it would then be 'real science'?

What if I told you that 'real science' often starts as 'hypothetical science'?

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2017, 01:50:17 AM »
So polaris along with most of the other stars move along with our solar system through our galaxy so their positions stay relativly the same ?

That's part of it. Also, Polaris is a long way away so its movement relative to us is less obvious. Think about looking out of the window of a train, say. Things in the distance don't appear to move anywhere near as fast as things close by.

Have you tried to research this properly at all? Serious question.
To be honest no it's easier to have quick look online then come on here.

I just find it all hard to believe we are told of the big bang and how everything Is indefinatly expanding but the stars in general seem constant.

You are wrong.
The position of the stars are changing.
The easiest way to find out is that you check the star constellations of the 12  signs of zodiac. They do not anymore match up with the original dates.

The universe is expanding since billions of years. You can only look at a timeframe of a few years. You are simply not able to see the change.
Its like you look at a tree only for one day. You also do not see that the tree grows. But if you look over a time of 10 years you can clearly see it.

So the Stars are close enough to appear to move right through the sky on a twenty four hour revolution but far enough away for us to have seen the same constellations for thousands of years even though all the stars are at vastly different distances from the earth they all follow us through the galaxy ?

If this is the case there must be lots of stars that will be different depending on the time of year as we would be differect sides of the sun  as we are told space is three dimensional not just above us.

Can you reference any of these stars so I can verify myself as I'm not religous I don't have the faith to believe it.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2017, 02:16:06 AM »
If you know nothing, you shouldn't try to play the 'smart card' but keep your mouth shout, visit a library and educate yourself.

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
Real science there is no room for opinions, group think, personal feelings or anyone's agenda. It's binary, either a yes or no, it works or it doesn't..Doesn't matter how you feel about it or what you wanted/needed.

You obviously have never done any "real" science,   opinions are everywhere and fought over like you  wouldn't believe,  like it or not,  everyone has an agenda and personal feelings.    What matters in the end is evidence and experiment,   often it's never binary,  it's  a question of  the degree of understanding all the real world variables,   like did you account for temperature gradient when you measured the earth's curvature by seeing if you could see a 66 ft high lighthouse from 30 miles away.   

Scientific debate is the foundation on which "real science"  is built.   Dumb, unsupported ideas don't last very long.   

To argue that everything is either black or white,  is to miss the point.  It's not a case of it works or doesn't,  it's a case of why did it work,  or why didn't  it work.   Big difference.

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2017, 02:51:58 AM »
So polaris along with most of the other stars move along with our solar system through our galaxy so their positions stay relativly the same ?

That's part of it. Also, Polaris is a long way away so its movement relative to us is less obvious. Think about looking out of the window of a train, say. Things in the distance don't appear to move anywhere near as fast as things close by.

I just find it all hard to believe we are told of the big bang and how everything Is indefinatly expanding but the stars in general seem constant.

You are wrong.
The easiest way to find out is that you check the star constellations of the 12  signs of zodiac. They do not anymore match up with the original dates.

The universe is expanding since billions of years. You can only look at a timeframe of a few years. You are simply not able to see the change.
Its like you look at a tree only for one day. You also do not see that the tree grows. But if you look over a time of 10 years you can clearly see it.

So the Stars are close enough to appear to move right through the sky on a twenty four hour revolution but far enough away for us to have seen the same constellations for thousands of years even though all the stars are at vastly different distances from the earth they all follow us through the galaxy ?

If this is the case there must be lots of stars that will be different depending on the time of year as we would be differect sides of the sun  as we are told space is three dimensional not just above us.

Can you reference any of these stars so I can verify myself as I'm not religous I don't have the faith to believe it.

You want to know about Stars?
Why not start here:-

http://www.space.com/33544-million-galaxies-dot-huge-3d-map.html

« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2017, 03:07:41 AM »

You are wrong.

Haven't got time just wanted a few references I could verify myself. To be honest the flat earth model for stars seems to work better than the heliocentric one.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »
Ohhh, you haven't time to educate yourself so you prefer shitposting and expect everyone to answer your bullshit?
Nice :)

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2017, 03:51:31 AM »
Haven't got time just wanted a few references I could verify myself. To be honest the flat earth model for stars seems to work better than the heliocentric one.
Really?

Please explain how Venus shows phases almost the same as does the moon. It looks like this with photos from Feb 27, 2004 to Jun 6, 2004:
And, how does your "the flat earth model" explain the apparent "retrograde motion of planets", especially of Mars. This sort of motion in the night sky, with a photo taken each night.

Apparent retrograde motion of Mars in 2003 as seen from Earth
Please detail for us the paths of Venus and Mars to cause this behaviour.

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2017, 04:35:19 AM »

simple question: why?

if you do not have time to learn how the stars and planet movements works and how far away stars and planets are and basically how the heliocentric system works, how can you than say that it is wrong.

if do not know anything about a topic (and it seems like you also you are not willing to learn about it) how can you than make a comment about it that it does not work.

you can say you do not believe in it, but we shown you evidence that your opinion about that topic point is wrong.
either you can still say you do not believe us, but without a proof from your side its only your believe and not a fact.
or you can look closer into that topic and try to find out whats wrong about the evidence that is shown to you.

or you can also admit that your initial claim was wrong.

its now up to you to show us evidence for your claims.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:36 AM »
You very confusingly use the term "geocentric model" where you really mean the "flat earth model".
The term "geocentric model" is usually used to refer to a model with a fixed non-rotating Globe, with the sun, moon and stars all rotating around it and there are quite a few people that believe that model.

If the earth is orbiting the sun
and the sun with our solar system is moving through our galaxy how is it possible for Polaris to be above the north pole constant when it is meant to be so far away it doesn't even change from summer to winter and where meant to be on opposite sides of the sun.
No problem at all - the stars are a very great distance away!

At the September equinox the earth is about 300,000,000 km from where it was at the March equinox.
The distance, 300,00,000 km, is about 0.00003171 Light Years.
And Polaris is about 433.8 light years away,
so the change of elevation angle of Polaris is 0.00003171/433.8 radians, or 0.0151 arc seconds.
The parallax of a star if the change in angle for an earth movement of one Astronomical Unit, which is the average distance of the earth from the sun.
The Parallax (π) of Polaris is quoted as 7.54 ± 0.11 mas, where mas is the abbreviation used for 0.001 of an arc second (an arc second is 1/3600 of a degree).

Note that the angle, 0.0151 arc seconds, we calculated above is close to twice the 7.54 mas quoted for Polaris.

Yes, it all fits the Heliocentric Model very well thank you.

Quote from: Resistance.is.Futile
There are many videos online that show most of the stars orbiting around the north pole on the geocentric model there is an image of the above in this link.
http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html?m=1
Rebuttals and Refutations, 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball Refutations
Quote from: Resistance.is.Futile
On the geocentric model the stars orbit the earth (un logo) polaris stays above magnetic north (centre) so from the equater it would appear to be on the horizon on the geocentric model also.

I do not believe anything I have not verified for myself (As I'm not religious)
I'm interested in both geocentric and heliocentric models.
You state, "polaris stays above magnetic north".
No, Polaris stays almost above the Geographic North Pole - not that same thing.

But, you say that you "do not believe anything" you "have not verified for myself".
Well, I'm sorry to tell you that there will always be things that you cannot personally verify.

Now, you say that you have videos of  (most of?) the stars appearing to rotate about the North Pole, but there are also many videos of the stars rotating about the South Celestial Pole too.

In both the north and the south they appear to rotate about single points - the North and South Celestial Poles.

As shown in this video:

Startrail & Timelapse 2015 - Northern vs Southern Hemisphere, jungynz's channel
Quote from: jungynz's channel
Published on Jan 24, 2016
Time-lapse and star trail video's compiled into a movie - each clip contains around 500 stills rendered using LightRoom and StarStax. The images were taken in summer on the Island of Guernsey UK for the Northern Hemisphere, and the Warrumbungle Ranges near Siding Springs Australia for the Southern Hemisphere.
And here is a very short one taken a few days ago:

Star trails Sydney Australia - P900 facing South, Wolfie6020

Stars in the south behave exactly as in the north except that
in the north, they appear to rotate counterclockwise about the North Celestial Pole (near Polaris) and
in the south, they appear to rotate clockwise about the South Celestial Pole (near the faint star Sigma Octantis).
I ought to know that second, I live in the Southern Hemisphere and can see it on any clear night!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:37:57 AM by rabinoz »

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2017, 05:25:24 AM »
Just doesn't seem right how we can see the same stars all year round.
If the earth is rotating facing the sun in the day and facing the opposite way to the sun at midnight I don't see how it is possible for the stars to be so constant when our sun is in a fixed position and we orbit around it .
We should have different view points in regard to our position in the solar system.

On the geocentric centric model we are told there are apparently three north east and south I'm only able to verify the north with their model (our stars rotate around magnetic north)and from what I have seen it works.

This is a flat earth forum so it is the place to post views and opinions and theorys that go against establishment that people of the science religion would consider shit.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:27:29 AM by Resistance.is.Futile »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2017, 05:40:13 AM »
See, that's your problem.  You're in too much of a hurry.  The quest for knowledge and understanding takes time.

At first glance, the earth looks flat.  But the more you look into it, the less sense a flat earth makes.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2017, 05:51:58 AM »
Just doesn't seem right how we can see the same stars all year round.
the stars that we can see change over the year. look for example the sign of Orion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(constellation)
If the earth is rotating facing the sun in the day and facing the opposite way to the sun at midnight I don't see how it is possible for the stars to be so constant when our sun is in a fixed position and we orbit around it .
We should have different view points in regard to our position in the solar system.
and if you learn a little bit about astronomy you see that is that way
On the geocentric centric model we are told there are apparently three north east and south I'm only able to verify the north with their model (our stars rotate around magnetic north)and from what I have seen it works.

it does not work for southern hemisphere, look up how the stars movement looks on the southern hemisphere and how it would look like in the Flat Earth Model

This is a flat earth forum so it is the place to post views and opinions and theorys that go against establishment that people of the science religion would consider shit.

i think more this is a place where the Flat Earth Idea can be discussed and the claims for the FEI can be tested.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
You obviously have never done any "real" science,   opinions are everywhere and fought over like you  wouldn't believe,  like it or not,  everyone has an agenda and personal feelings.    What matters in the end is evidence and experiment,   often it's never binary,  it's  a question of  the degree of understanding all the real world variables,   like did you account for temperature gradient when you measured the earth's curvature by seeing if you could see a 66 ft high lighthouse from 30 miles away.   

Scientific debate is the foundation on which "real science"  is built.   Dumb, unsupported ideas don't last very long.   

To argue that everything is either black or white,  is to miss the point.  It's not a case of it works or doesn't,  it's a case of why did it work,  or why didn't  it work.   Big difference.

Semantics again as always, your M.O. will never change will it?

No fucking shit everything has to start with an idea, opinion etc etc etc...However, these are not facts (or as close as we can know in our reality) until processed through true scientific method.

Dumb unsupported ideas do stay in science because of group think

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »

No fucking shit everything has to start with an idea, opinion etc etc etc...However, these are not facts (or as close as we can know in our reality) until processed through true scientific method.

The start of the 'true science' method is part of the 'true science' too, no?

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »

You are wrong.

[/quote

thats one reference I gave you, not enough time, time for what?....to be honest the flat earth thinking on starts is a heap of cow pat.....its not clever and its not true as it neither fits with the evidence or with anything approaching reality.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
The start of the 'true science' method is part of the 'true science' too, no?

Yes, when used correctly.. As anything in life, no matter how good, it can be abused and used for Sinister reasons.

I have many thoughts and designs unexplored personally and professionally. No matter how sound my brain thinks they are, it is of no matter, just an educated opinion. It is not until they are demonstrated in reality, under scientific method, can I even remotely say my thoughts are fact.

Musings, thoughts, ideas, dreams etc...Great, I love em, they are what create and progress. Yet they are not facts.

Science can create nothing, true science simply verify thoughts and ideas to see if they are reality or not. To weed out the dreams from reality.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
Science can create nothing, true science simply verify thoughts and ideas to see if they are reality or not. To weed out the dreams from reality.
That's the biggest bullshit I have heard so far from you.
Just think about it, and please, stop being so ME narrow minded...

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »

Semantics again as always, your M.O. will never change will it?

it starts with an idea and than there will be done experiments to confirm that idea.
these experiments will show if the idea is working.

this is been done since hundreds of years.

We can see from these experiments the shape of the earth.
all experiments show that the earth is a globe.
nobody ever showed a experiment that proved that the earth is flat.
there are a few (always mentioned here) experiment that seem to show a flat earth, but i saw them all disproved.

alone that there are a lot of different Flat Earth Models exist, shows that there is no prove for that idea.
almost for each problem exist a FE-Model but each one does not work always.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »
it starts with an idea and than there will be done experiments to confirm that idea.

there are a few (always mentioned here) experiment that seem to show a flat earth, but i saw them all disproved.

alone that there are a lot of different Flat Earth Models exist, shows that there is no prove for that idea.

I am not arguing F.E. or anything specific. Simply debating the correct use of science as well as how it is abused by certain sects.

Lmao...So I state a simple fact of science and you say it is bullshit? Very telling indeed.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with what I said, it really is a very simple fact about science. It can create nothing, which is true... Scientific method is simply a method for testing ideas/hypothesis or whatever you want to call them. See if they work in reality or not. If it works, we keep it, if it doesn't it gets written off or reworked to try again.

I am sorry, science is not a god user lmao.... You crack me up and frighten me all at once sometimes.

« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »

I am not arguing F.E. or anything specific. Simply debating the correct use of science as well as how it is abused by certain sects.

Lmao...So I state a simple fact of science and you say it is bullshit? Very telling indeed.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with what I said, it really is a very simple fact about science. It can create nothing, which is true... Scientific method is simply a method for testing ideas/hypothesis or whatever you want to call them. See if they work in reality or not. If it works, we keep it, if it doesn't it gets written off or reworked to try again.

I am sorry, science is not a god user lmao.... You crack me up and frighten me all at once sometimes.

the correct use of science?

it is simple:

the correct use of science is to perform experiments that are repeatable an deliver a clear result.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »
it really is a very simple fact about science. It can create nothing, which is true...
First: If you call your statements "true", it doesn't make you sound smart, but sound like Trump.

Anyway, just one example of science creating something:
I present you Crispr/Cas9

Member of the BOTD