Is Science the new Religion ?

• 347 Replies
Is Science the new Religion ?
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »
All we know is what we are shown.

I think some aspects of science require a great deal of faith just like a religion.

We all obviously know that science works because we put fuel in our car and it moves
 or we apply heat to water and it boils.

When a scientist says that two black holes have collided one hundred thousand light years away that requires a huge amount of faith, to believe that he/she is telling the truth; as there is no way for most people to verify their observation.

We all know religion works the main monotheistic religions are based on a race of people from the middle east and now after thousands of years the world helped some of them set a nation up in their homeland.

When a Vicar/Priest says That a man called Noah built a boat and all the animals where able to fit on it with Noah and his family also requires a huge amount of faith, to believe that he/she is telling the truth; as there is no way for most people to verify what has been written.

When someone doesn't believe in a popular hypothesis they are looked at by the believers in a negative way.

When someone doesn't believe in a religion they are looked at by the believers in a negative way.

Is Science the new religion ?

Babushka

• I can cook minute rice in 58 seconds
Re: Is Science the new Religion ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:24:33 PM »
Generally, religions are either monotheistic or polytheistic. The simple fact is, with science, there is no singular person or group of people to "believe" in. Besides, if it truly became a religion, schools couldn't teach science anymore because it classifies as a "religion". If we start thinking about it from that perspective, it could throw off everybody's view of the world.
I can communicate with vegetables, but only after hitting up some bath salts

https://runt-of-the-web.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/baby-taxidermy.jpg

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »

I think some aspects of science require a great deal of faith just like a religion.

We all obviously know that science works because we put fuel in our car and it moves

When a scientist says that two black holes have collided one hundred thousand light years away that requires a huge amount of faith, to believe that he/she is telling the truth; as there is no way for most people to verify their observation.

We all know religion works the main monotheistic religions are based on a race of people from the middle east and now after thousands of years the world helped some of them set a nation up in their homeland.

When a Vicar/Priest says That a man called Noah built a boat and all the animals where able to fit on it with Noah and his family also requires a huge amount of faith, to believe that he/she is telling the truth; as there is no way for most people to verify what has been written.

When someone doesn't believe in a popular hypothesis they are looked at by the believers in a negative way.

When someone doesn't believe in a religion they are looked at by the believers in a negative way.

To answer you final question the answer is of course no. Why?
Religion relies on faith and faith alone.
Science on the other hand relies on proof. Science also moves on as new discoveries are made.
The computer you typed your post on bears witness to many scientific principles without the understanding of, your computer would never have been designed let alone manufactured.
The whole subject of transistor theory for example are you going to accept it or reject it? do you have means by which you can prove or disprove it?
How about electrical generation theory....do you believe it or do you reject it?
Or at a more basic level do you believe in electrons? As you have never or will ever seen one! Is it faith or knowledge you require to accept that they exist?

As for the collision of black holes, these have been detected through gravitational waves and not by faith. When I plug something into the mains and flick the switch my device powers up through the application of science.....no faith required.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
In my point of view science is far from religion, first if a Scientist makes a claim like that (about the black holes) they will also produce a paper with sufficient evidence to convince the rest of the scientific community as it would a massive loss of face to look like a tit to some of the smartest minds currently alive.

And secondly we don't just believe a random person who states they have seen the black holes, we listen to people that have a history with science that we know and can visually certify so it's not a massive leap of faith to follow their wake as they research further things.
"Religion is the opium of the people"
Karl Marx

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »

It doesn't have to be that way. If you don't blow off your schoolwork, you, too, can learn how to do experiments to verify much of what is claimed.

"Most" people, yes. "All" people, no. There are lots of assertions you can test yourself (or could if you took science classes in school and didn't sleep through them) that have more immediate impact on your life, however.

There is no way for any people to verify that story.

This is often the case. If someone's alternative hypothesis works better as more is learned, however, it becomes the new popular hypothesis, and the one who proposed it sometimes wins a Nobel Prize. If the alternative hypothesis is shown to be wrong as more is learned, it usually fades into obscurity; sometimes someone like sandokhan will stumble across it and natter endlessly about it.

It gets much worse than that. Sometimes they're shunned, or punished, tortured, or even killed.

No. They work in fundamentally different ways.

Science on the other hand relies on proof.

Not exactly. Although hypotheses that have so much evidence supporting them are sometimes called 'proven', they aren't really. It's not possible to prove things in science, only collect data and evidence that supports an hypothesis or shows it's wrong.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200811/common-misconceptions-about-science-i-scientific-proof
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
Science has not nor ever will it become a religion. It may seem like some scientists and other individuals do make a religion out of it. But when they do this it is no longer science.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »
not the same...
Science and religion should be extensions of each other though.
science starts with a question which is unanswered. then you start to think out a possible answer..which can be seen as a belief...you belief that "the answer could be xxxxxx because, xxxxxxx" in other words, your belief tells you where which way to look for answers. Then you start to investigate. as long as you are investigating, and you didn't find any solid solution yet, you are driven by conclusions of the interim results and other beliefs drawn from those conclusions....but the moment you find your evidence, you no longer have to believe anymore...because, you can prove your answer.

That is in my opinion how religion and science should interact with each other...the moment you can prove your religion wrong...your religion has no use anymore...
Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:55:01 AM »
I don't think what I said has been understood  :-[ I can verify that my computer works as It comes in pieces,motherboard ,graphics card ect I build it then plug it in and it works.

How can I verify that two black holes collided one hundred thousand light years away ?

If this can't be verified by myself it then requires a massive amount of faith for me to believe what the scientists have observed is true  just as religion requires a massive amount of faith to believe what has been written is true.

Is science the new religion.?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:29:48 AM by Resistance.is.Futile »

napoleon

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
I don't think what I said has been understood  :-[ I can verify that my computer works as It comes in pieces,motherboard ,graphics card ect I build it then plug it in and it works.

How can I verify that two black holes collided one hundred thousand light years away ?

If this can't be verified by myself it then requires a massive amount of faith for me to believe what the scientists have observed is true  just as religion requires a massive amount of faith to believe what has been written is true.

you incapable of understanding the evidence doesn't change anything about the facts.
If you cannot understand the evidence, or you do not have the needed tool to verify it, then you cannot do anything about it, but at least you have an answer which you can rely on.
as for religion, no one has a solid answer...no one claims he/she can prove it...everyone is looking for it...only beliefs and assumptions and possible directions...that is the difference...

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 01:52:56 AM »
Religion is about 4000 years old & science is only couple of hundreds of years old!

When religion first came, it took time for people to prove it correct and that of a divine origin - God even needed to send more than one messenger to establish that faith among the different nations.

After few thousands of years, believers needed not to prove the existence of God > they do that based on faith, because many nations before them have gone through that process of proving.

In few thousands of years, people need not to prove the current theories we based our science upon - it's already been proven, practically used and manifested in our development as humans.
In few thousands of years science books would be like holy books and in science we should trust!

A new religious movement which had started in the fifties of the twentieth Century called the "Church of Scientology" - a religion that combines science with spiritual beliefs and offers a precise path leading to a complete and certain understanding of one’s true spiritual nature and one’s relationship to self, family, groups, Mankind, all life forms, the material universe, the spiritual universe and the Supreme Being.

Science could become a very powerful religion that would be followed worldwide, if it would rely more on both the physical and the spiritual nature of things!
Science had completely denied the spiritual part and removed it from the minds of the scientists > to the point they even denied the existence of an intelligent creator and a magnificent scientist.

I always thought that it's the scientists that should be first to believe in the existence of God, because they were first to prove there is higher intelligence behind how things are made/ created and that everything that exists is directly related to math, physics and chemistry (created with knowledge).

I truly believe that science and religion should not contradict each other, one should not eliminate the role of the other and both should go along in harmony.
I truly believe the only way to advance as intelligent human beings is to follow both paths - the spiritual based of faith and the physical based on proven scientific theories.
God—the knower—is non-dimensional.
God's thinking is two-dimensional.
God's creative actions are three-dimensional.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:05:09 AM »

So you think science is a religion because you, personally, cannot verify every finding.
Be reasonable! How would it ever have been possible for any one person to verify personally every finding in science.

But, what can be done is to seek independent evidence for any new "discovery". That is the way science works.
One group announces something like, say, "cold fusion" (an actual case).
But other scientists are rather skeptical of that being possible, so the finding is not widely accepted unril it is replicated a few times by other groups (and it could not be replicated.).

Not being a scientist, but interested in these things,
when new discoveries come up that I am doubtful of, I think "Isn't that intesesting!", but remain sceptical until the finding is verified.

So, when it comes to "How can I verify that two black holes collided one hundred thousand light years away?"
Well, personally, neither you nor I can, but does it matter? It won't affect your life if you believe it or reminder sceptical.

When it comes to findings that might affect you personally, such as a new medical treatment, all you can do is think "That's nice, it might treat my problem, but I'll wait till it is confirmed by others".

So, while I do not agree that science is a religion, there will always be the problem that we, personally, cannot verify everything and there are many questionable "findings".

There are many "pseudo-scientific" reports of things like "free-energy machines" or "magical medical treatments".
To guard against this sort of thing some grounding in the basics of science is very important for everyone.
At least enough else to hammer home the point that you never get something for nothing (so no free energy) and you can't even break even (so no perpetual motion machines).  :D It's also good financial advice.  :D

Sorry, I did not mean to ramble on again!

napoleon

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:11:24 AM »
totally agree on that Hannibaal.
though, science and religion are equally old since the first self consious human being walked on the surface of the Earth. Humans have always been occupied by explaining their surroundings, explolations and learnings from earlier mistakes or learning from each other or from observations.
at first religion and science were very close to each other but even then those two were extensions of each other...
and just like Hannibaal said...it should be extentions of each other now too.

napoleon

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 02:18:38 AM »

So you think science is a religion because you, personally, cannot verify every finding.
Be reasonable! How would it ever have been possible for any one person to verify personally every finding in science.

But, what can be done is to seek independent evidence for any new "discovery". That is the way science works.
One group announces something like, say, "cold fusion" (an actual case).
But other scientists are rather skeptical of that being possible, so the finding is not widely accepted unril it is replicated a few times by other groups (and it could not be replicated.).

Not being a scientist, but interested in these things,
when new discoveries come up that I am doubtful of, I think "Isn't that intesesting!", but remain sceptical until the finding is verified.

So, when it comes to "How can I verify that two black holes collided one hundred thousand light years away?"
Well, personally, neither you nor I can, but does it matter? It won't affect your life if you believe it or reminder sceptical.

When it comes to findings that might affect you personally, such as a new medical treatment, all you can do is think "That's nice, it might treat my problem, but I'll wait till it is confirmed by others".

So, while I do not agree that science is a religion, there will always be the problem that we, personally, cannot verify everything and there are many questionable "findings".

There are many "pseudo-scientific" reports of things like "free-energy machines" or "magical medical treatments".
To guard against this sort of thing some grounding in the basics of science is very important for everyone.
At least enough else to hammer home the point that you never get something for nothing (so no free energy) and you can't even break even (so no perpetual motion machines).  :D It's also good financial advice.  :D

Sorry, I did not mean to ramble on again!
Do we all know exactly in full detail how a processor works? yet, we all use it if we want to discuss a subject on this forum, and we expect it to do it's job in the way it is designed to.

If we put enough effort in it, maybe we could understand how it works, but we don't need to...we could verify that it works perfectly on a different level.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 03:48:20 AM »
totally agree on that Hannibaal.
though, science and religion are equally old since the first self consious human being walked on the surface of the Earth. Humans have always been occupied by explaining their surroundings, explolations and learnings from earlier mistakes or learning from each other or from observations.
at first religion and science were very close to each other but even then those two were extensions of each other...
and just like Hannibaal said...it should be extentions of each other now too.

Indeed "science" is very old - the pyramids and ancients artifacts are a proof of that - but, I wanted to note the modern science based on modern, past-two centuries theories, that had contributed in the advancement of the present civilized world.

And, indeed science and religion went along quite fine, before and in certain eras > Islamic scholars and scientist are a real proof of that - their teachings and theories were the basis to modern science and their books are still taught in major universities in the world.

If the majority of people do not deny the existence of a spiritual side or aspect of life besides the material/physical part, then why does modern science do?

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 05:12:40 AM »
Anything that requires a great amount of faith to be believed has to be a religion.

Some people are stupid and gullible so they believe anything.

Alot of science is hard to believe we are told for example:

The earth is a globe

We are shown some CGI Images and then expected to believe in this globe theory.

I'm not really bothered what shape the earth is or if scientist's are lieing or telling the truth it makes no difference to my life.

That said until something can be verified by myself I do not believe it.

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 07:58:59 AM »

Science is an open system. Anyone can go to university and study. However, getting a PHD is an entirely different matter and getting a job as well. Nobody is going to give you a job if they think you can’t produce results.

How a car works is more in the domain of applied science (engineering).
Producing the petrol is a matter of chemistry.

That’s correct, most people can’t verify because getting a degree, getting a job, getting access to equipment is difficult. Only the best people are chosen.

These kinds of things go through a peer review process. In other words, other astronomists will check your results. Then you get to publish your white paper.

As for religion, NOBODY and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOBODY can check the wild claims.
Like Bill Nye the science guy says, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
For example:
Jesus can walk on water? Let’s see it. He is a god right? He should be able to do it anytime.

The big question is, why didn’t this god invent cameras, VHS cassettes or anything advanced. Why didn’t he give science lessons? Is it because Jesus is just an ordinary blow joe (he doesn’t know jackshi)? Or maybe this god just doesn’t want to teach people how things work?

I’m just an ordinary guy like you, asking questions.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Anything that requires a great amount of faith to be believed has to be a religion.

The earth is a globe

I'm not really bothered what shape the earth is or if scientist's are lieing or telling the truth it makes no difference to my life.

to verify the global earth i invite you to come to Ontario and we take a look at Toronto from across Lake Ontario.
there you can see with your own eyes the effect of the earth curvature.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
Science was religion in all past of the world. But it was accepting the God. But updated fake/Darwinist science made a coap to real science. This is a religion too but denying to the real science. It should be destroyed is an Emergency coded task.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
If the majority of people do not deny the existence of a spiritual side or aspect of life besides the material/physical part, then why does modern science do?

I don't think science denies the spiritual and metaphysical, rather it has no comment on it. Not being testable, it is outside science's domain.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of scientists with opinions on religion, though..

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
@Coffercrisp
An interesting point about only the "best" being chosen; could it be that the people who determine who the best are could be looking for intelligent but gullible easily manipulated people who will not go against an already established hypothesis.
For example Einstein over Tesla

Einstein had theorys that nobody could verify.

Tesla had inventions people are still using today but Einstein was generally presented in my  English education as being superior.

@Canadabear
Thank you for the offer but unfortunately I'm really busy this year so will not have time to travel to Canada to witness this curvature you speak of as I'm from England.

Do any of you know where in England I can witness this curvature you speak of.

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
Science was religion in all past of the world. But it was accepting the God. But updated fake/Darwinist science made a coap to real science. This is a religion too but denying to the real science. It should be destroyed is an Emergency coded task.

religion is based on believe, science is based on knowledge.

the science "accepted" god as long as it still fitted the results of the scientific results. But real science showed that there is no evidence for a being as described as a god.

different religions got disproven at different times. but all religions, and their holy books, got disproven.
like a global flood, talking animals, magical events and so on.

But on the other hand, it should be ok to call science a religion, because that the religious people have to accept science because they accept religions.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
@Coffercrisp
An interesting point about only the "best" being chosen; could it be that the people who determine who the best are could be looking for intelligent but gullible easily manipulated people who will not go against an already established hypothesis.
For example Einstein over Tesla

Einstein had theorys that nobody could verify.

Tesla had inventions people are still using today but Einstein was generally presented in my  English education as being superior.

@Canadabear
Thank you for the offer but unfortunately I'm really busy this year so will not have time to travel to Canada to witness this curvature you speak of as I'm from England.

Do any of you know where in England I can witness this curvature you speak of.

should be possible at Lynton and than look across the Bristol Channel to Swansea.

there you should be able to see that at water level that you can only see the upper levels of the high buildings and if you go to a higher viewpoint you can see also the lower levels of these buildings.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »

I don't think science denies the spiritual and metaphysical, rather it has no comment on it. Not being testable, it is outside science's domain.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of scientists with opinions on religion, though..

Maybe the spiritual domain has a science of its own, that conventional science did not even bother to look into , or even invent the instruments and tools to detect and prove its existence!

They often talk about a forbidden knowledge - maybe that's what conventional science have long tried to hide and blur its reality!

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Science doesn't require faith. There are no "science works in mysterious ways" answers. There is nothing stopping you from verifying anyone else's conclusions. Everything is accessible, demonstrable, and repeatable.

You don't know how relative velocity works? Do it yourself. There is nothing stopping you from creating a testing environment, experimenting, and seeing the results for yourself.

While some experiments (e.g. black hole collisions) are more complex, science doesn't change. Learn calculus, verify everything yourself, learn advanced physics, verify everything yourself, etc. If you come up with a different answer, cool, publish your results.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
You don't have to "take anyone else's word" for anything. The thing is, you can't take shortcuts. If a conclusion has been reached over hundreds of years of questions, experiments, data, and repetition, you don't get to claim that your conclusion is the correct one because you spent 15 minutes watching a youtube video.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 10:59:44 AM »

Religion relies entirely on faith. Science relies on observation, testing, and measurement.

This is true. For instance, there is a Flat Earth Society, and some people appear to actually believe the earth is flat, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

The earth is a globe

That one is not difficult to independently confirm. No need to rely "on what we're told".

You make a baseless claim, but it's irrelevant anyway. It was easy to tell the earth is spherical long before even the advent of photography, much less spacecraft, digital photography, and computer graphics.

Cool. Why go on and on about it, then?

Well, there you go. Since you can verify that the earth is not flat, that settles that. If you choose to believe otherwise because you refuse to verify it is nothing more than willful ignorance.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
Thanks for the info Canada Bear I will go to Lynton and will see if I can witness this curvature you speak of.
I believe the quick formula for curvature is miles squared multiplied by eight then divided by twelve to bring back to feet  I will see if this works out for the distances involved.

Science does require Faith for example Einsteins theory of relativity has never been verified as NOBODY has travelled at the speed of light but some people believe it because they have faith that Einsteins theory was correct and he was telling the truth and other scientists have done experiments that support Einsteins hypothesis which could be described as convinient as it would be in their financial interest to further exalt one of the science religions gods.

@Alpha2 omega the blue marble image is CGI so my claim is hardly baseless.

How other than witnessing curvature can the earth be proven a globe ?
As from what I've seen so far most of it also works on the geocentric model.

I think what makes a lot of people sceptical about the globe theory is that we have apparently been in space  thousands of times but there are very few pictures / images that stand up in photoshop.
For example if I was an astronaut I would simply put my mobile phone to the window and record the rocket taking off and docking at the space station in one unbroken real video;
 this has not been done yet even though mobiles have had cameras on for over ten years.
They could also make another Hubble type telescope launch it into deep space and set it up so it shows the earth and other planets orbiting the sun or the cheaper option would be to turn hubble round.This has not been done yet. ( can you see the pattern?)
I'm not saying the earth is flat because that is something I have yet to verify for myself but I struggle to understand why CGI has to be used when we have allegedly been in space thousands of times so it is not unreasonable for the millions of people to be sceptical about the globe theory.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
the blue marble image is CGI so my claim is hardly baseless.

citation needed

Notes:
- There are multiple blue marble images, I'm talking about the original.
- CGI != photo editing.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
The blue marble 2002 https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BlueMarble/BlueMarble_2002.php

the blue marble image is CGI so my claim is hardly baseless.

citation needed

Notes:
- CGI != photo editing.
Thanks for the info Canada Bear I will go to Lynton and will see if I can witness this curvature you speak of.
I believe the quick formula for curvature is miles squared multiplied by eight then divided by twelve to bring back to feet  I will see if this works out for the distances involved.

Science does require Faith for example Einsteins theory of relativity has never been verified as NOBODY has travelled at the speed of light but some people believe it because they have faith that Einsteins theory was correct and he was telling the truth and other scientists have done experiments that support Einsteins hypothesis which could be described as convinient as it would be in their financial interest to further exalt one of the science religions gods.

@Alpha2 omega the blue marble image is CGI so my claim is hardly baseless.

How other than witnessing curvature can the earth be proven a globe ?
As from what I've seen so far most of it also works on the geocentric model.

I think what makes a lot of people sceptical about the globe theory is that we have apparently been in space  thousands of times but there are very few pictures / images that stand up in photoshop.
For example if I was an astronaut I would simply put my mobile phone to the window and record the rocket taking off and docking at the space station in one unbroken real video;
 this has not been done yet even though mobiles have had cameras on for over ten years.
They could also make another Hubble type telescope launch it into deep space and set it up so it shows the earth and other planets orbiting the sun or the cheaper option would be to turn hubble round.This has not been done yet. ( can you see the pattern?)
I'm not saying the earth is flat because that is something I have yet to verify for myself but I struggle to understand why CGI has to be used when we have allegedly been in space thousands of times so it is not unreasonable for the millions of people to be sceptical about the globe theory.

The 2002 blue marble is CGI so like I said my claim is not baseless.

It is also relevant because if Nasa have been in space thousands of times why do they need to use CGI ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:34:02 PM by Resistance.is.Futile »

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
The blue marble 2002 https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BlueMarble/BlueMarble_2002.php

Notes:
- CGI != photo editing.