Why would the Government(s) lie about the shape of the earth?

• 36 Replies
The notion of the Round Earth (RE) has been accepted by educated Europeans (and probably also Asians and others) since before the Crusades, certainly well before Columbus.  Yet the FEs try to insist that talk of a RE is all a hoax perpetrated by the governments of the all the world's countries, acting in collusion.  It is past time we asked how sensible that story is.

The usual FE story is the government is lying to us about the shape of the earth and the motion of the planets.  But why?  Why were schools promoting the notion of a RE back in the 13th century when Dante was writing his Divine Comedy? Was it to get our money?  Surely the governments have other and better ways to get our money (war seems to be very effective).  The Fes blame NASA and accuse its scientists of committing fraud by lying about the shape of the earth - but NASA didn't exist until 1958, and scientists are supposed to be dedicated to finding out FACTS; why would Congress have created an agency for the sole purpose of lying about the shape of this planet? Especially why would Congressmen have set up NASA people to get money for this when the Congressmen would logically be expected to directed the money to themselves?  How is it that EVERY country, even our enemies, even when at war with us, never revealed that the earth was flat.  Surely we know scientists and teachers who tell us the earth is round - and there is clear evidence that they are not getting any extra money from anybody.

What would be the effect of telling everyone that the earth is flat (if it really is flat)?  Right away world maps would be enormously simpler.  Entirely new industries and sciences would be developing to explore and exploit whatever lies beyond The Edge - the sides of the earth, which may have entirely different natural histories, natural resources, perhaps even different animals and sentient creatures. Knowing more accurately the configuration of the earth would make it possible to make transportion and communications more efficient.

All in all, the story that the governments are lying to us doesn't hold water, doesn't fit with history and doesn't fit with logic. 

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Why would the Government(s) lie about the shape of the earth?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:28:24 AM »
Believe whatever you want to believe.

disputeone

• Or should I?
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:17:24 AM »
There might be 10-20 people that are actually in the know.

The rest are highly cooperative figureheads, placed in a position, paid handsomely, and other than that, just DNGAS.

They got theirs and they they will do whatever it takes to keep theirs, just like everyone else would.

So I do not think "governments" necessarily lie about anything.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »

The rest are highly cooperative figureheads, placed in a position, paid handsomely, and other than that, just DNGAS.

They got theirs and they they will do whatever it takes to keep theirs, just like everyone else would.

This is a classic answer....saying only a few people are in on it...yet 'he knows'

How does he know this?
Where did he get his info from?

While we all know governments lie about a whole range of things that affect the outcome of the next election, the shape of the world sure ain't one of them.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »
This is a classic answer....saying only a few people are in on it...yet 'he knows'
Did I miss the place in my post where I wrote the words, "I know...'?

How does he know this?
Know what?
A lot of the same sources as you or anyone else.
While we all know governments lie about a whole range of things that affect the outcome of the next election, the shape of the world sure ain't one of them.
Pushing a narrative becomes easier as time passes on and eventually becomes the norm.

A lot of people live in fear of many different things.

Fear of ridicule, fear of life, etc.

Governments control this type of stuff.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 06:22:36 AM »

Now forgive me for misunderstanding....but you said...10 OR 20 people are in the know....

Who are they?
How do you know this?
Are you one of this 10 or twenty?

How can you in a few moments contradict what you stated?...to state something is to assume you know what you are talking about?

Now if you are trying to tell me you have no clue to what you are on about and you just make stuff up....then im willing to believe you, as you have a history of making some fantastic unsupported claims.

So to recap do you know...Or....are you talking bullshit?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:24:34 AM »
Did I miss the place in my post where I wrote the words, "I know...'?

How does he know this?
Know what?
A lot of the same sources as you or anyone else.
Pushing a narrative becomes easier as time passes on and eventually becomes the norm.

This basically sums it all up.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:35 AM »

Now forgive me for misunderstanding....but you said...10 OR 20 people are in the know....

Who are they?
I believe they are direct descendants of original kings.
How do you know this?
I don't "know."

There is evidence, but it is not entirely conclusive and can easily be "plausibly denied."
No.

How can you in a few moments contradict what you stated?
Where?
...to state something is to assume you know what you are talking about?
Having a formulated opinion or view = / = know.

Now if you are trying to tell me you have no clue to what you are on about and you just make stuff up....then im willing to believe you, as you have a history of making some fantastic unsupported claims.

I have never wrote the words, "I know," in this thread, relative to my first post.

That does not mean I am clueless about what I write.

You have been found on numerous occasions to see ghosts where there are none.

As far as factually supporting what I write, on many instances I post supporting evidence.

So do others.

Sometimes, I don't.

So do others.

This is FE general, I remind you.

I'm not here to climb impossible mountains Lonegranger.

Why are you?

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:05 AM »

Who are they?
How do you know this?
I don't "know."

There is evidence, but it is not entirely conclusive and can easily be "plausibly denied."
No.

How can you in a few moments contradict what you stated?
Where?
...to state something is to assume you know what you are talking about?
Having a formulated opinion or view = / = know.

I have never wrote the words, "I know," in this thread, relative to my first post.

That does not mean I am clueless about what I write.

You have been found on numerous occasions to see ghosts where there are none.

As far as factually supporting what I write, on many instances I post supporting evidence.

So do others.

Sometimes, I don't.

So do others.

This is FE general, I remind you.

I'm not here to climb impossible mountains Lonegranger.

Why are you?

I'm used to reading and writing stuff that has some validity and some point. I think that's where we differ.
You make statement....about the 10 or 20.....I ask! Where does he get the numbers from?
Does he just make it up or does he have a source?
If it's a secret that only 10 or 20 people know......then how does he know? Especially when he says he ain't one of the 10 or twenty....wtf!

You have a strange understanding, amongst other things the meaning of the word know?
Who mentioned mountains! Impossible or otherwise?
You also mentioned about posting supporting evidence.....well fell free regarding all the very dubious claims you make.

The problem with you whacky lot is you will nit pick like hell over anything in connection with conventional wisdom, but when it comes to FE belief you will gobble it up with no word of complaint

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »
Why would the Government(s) lie about the shape of the earth?

Out of habit?
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »
I'm used to reading and writing stuff that has some validity and some point. I think that's where we differ.
No we do not.

I find the stuff I read and write to have some validity and a point or I would not read it or write it.
You make statement....about the 10 or 20.....I ask! Where does he get the numbers from?
Yeah, I have source material.

You would probably find the source material as questionable, as do I, but I do not feel threatened, as do you, by entertaining information that might be questionable.
If it's a secret that only 10 or 20 people know......then how does he know? Especially when he says he ain't one of the 10 or twenty....wtf!
All of what you write = okay speculation

Anything I write = not okay speculation.

Fine by me.

You have a strange understanding, amongst other things the meaning of the word know?
I disagree.

I don't think you have a clue what the word "know," means at all.
You also mentioned about posting supporting evidence.....well fell free regarding all the very dubious claims you make.

The problem with you whacky lot is you will nit pick like hell over anything in connection with conventional wisdom, but when it comes to FE belief you will gobble it up with no word of complaint
You sit back and pronounce yourself, or make a grand presentation as if you are, entitled to have people, who you regularly call, label, or consider stupid (as demonstrated by your writing) as being under some sort of requirement to perform up to your self-proclaimed lofty standards.

When this is not met, you want to complain.

And scream, "OH THE PLEASURE!" at the same time.

You really are funny though.

Most globularist trolls are.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
No we do not.

I find the stuff I read and write to have some validity and a point or I would not read it or write it.
Yeah, I have source material.

You would probably find the source material as questionable, as do I, but I do not feel threatened, as do you, by entertaining information that might be questionable.
All of what you write = okay speculation

Anything I write = not okay speculation.

Fine by me.

I disagree.

I don't think you have a clue what the word "know," means at all.

You sit back and pronounce yourself, or make a grand presentation as if you are, entitled to have people, who you regularly call, label, or consider stupid (as demonstrated by your writing) as being under some sort of requirement to perform up to your self-proclaimed lofty standards.

When this is not met, you want to complain.

And scream, "OH THE PLEASURE!" at the same time.

You really are funny though.

Most globularist trolls are.

You had to do it...you could not help it, well to be honest there was little else you could do....and that is resort to a petty attack on me rather than trying to support your claims.

That is the mark of a true flat head. You say you have sources, so share them....why the confusion of 10 rather than the vague possibility of 20? Are your sources as vague as you?

You call me a troll, in response I call you a small minded ignorant flat headed gormless git....so what does that achieve? Why not stick to facts? That is if you have any.

Oh by the way when did ever I refer to you as stupid? As I actually don't think you rate quite that highly, going by your past efforts I think the best you could hope to claim would be imbecile, and that's on a good day.

If you want to trade insults rather than facts go a head.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
You had to do it...you could not help it, well to be honest there was little else you could do....and that is resort to a petty attack on me rather than trying to support your claims.
I had to do it?

Who went first?

Let's see shall we?

The problem with you whacky lot...
Of course, being called whacky is not meant to be a personal attack...

How silly of me.

Since the day of your first post, you have seldom, if ever engaged in anything other than what you would accuse me of.

Me, yeah...

I do not mind admitting I engage in this type of stuff quite often.

You still want to ride your high horse...

So here:

Off you go, down to your local supermarket...

Your ride awaits!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
The usual FE story is the government is lying to us about the shape of the earth and the motion of the planets.  But why?

This gets asked often but I think a good chunk of the reason is religion, more specifically, judaism and derivative religion.

I don't know why flat earthers just don't declare "the earth is flat because my religion says so". They come up with long winded talks about NASA and other space agencies lying, etc.

I put up a poll  a couple of weeks ago and no one wants to admit that it is due to religion.
From time to time, you will hear some of them mention a dome. This also comes from judaism.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
The usual FE story is the government is lying to us about the shape of the earth and the motion of the planets.  But why?

This gets asked often but I think a good chunk of the reason is religion, more specifically, judaism and derivative religion.

I don't know why flat earthers just don't declare "the earth is flat because my religion says so". They come up with long winded talks about NASA and other space agencies lying, etc.

I put up a poll  a couple of weeks ago and no one wants to admit that it is due to religion.
From time to time, you will hear some of them mention a dome. This also comes from judaism.

Just because people didn't vote in your poll doesn't mean there aren't religious flat earthers. There are a few who post here from time to time.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

N30

• I can only show you the door.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »

Wow, it is almost as if they have evidence of such claims.
All one must do to realize why governments lie is look to at what they gain by doing so.
Keeping the majority of the populace unable to discern truth from fiction, creates an unequaled advantage.
Every facet of living has become influenced by the dirty hand of governments.

Using their advantage, our consciences are being defiled, so our perception of life diminishes.
Perpetual toleration of what is wrong creates an inability to see what is right.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »

Wow, it is almost as if they have evidence of such claims.
All one must do to realize why governments lie is look to at what they gain by doing so.
Keeping the majority of the populace unable to discern truth from fiction, creates an unequaled advantage.
Every facet of living has become influenced by the dirty hand of governments.

Using their advantage, our consciences are being defiled, so our perception of life diminishes.
Perpetual toleration of what is wrong creates an inability to see what is right.

They have evidence of a dome? I haven't see it. Show me.
What? The moon and Sun and asteroids are inside the dome? Show me.
What? The moon and Sun and asteroids are outside the dome? Show me.

What advantage?

You don't like your government? What does this have to do with scientists from different fields and from around the globe? Cut the horse shit and be honest. This is a matter of religion.

It is really no different than creationists insisting that biological organisms DNA can't change and they keep claiming that natural selection is not evolution. They have to make a choice between science (which comes from humans) and their religion (which they think comes from a omniscient god, and therefore, they don't question their religion).

If you accept that your religion is wrong, what will you do? I think that you would be lost.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
Just because you believe - and have examples - that the govt lies, does not mean that the govt is lying to you about the shape of the planet.  Now that's a major league lie involving stuff well outside the control of any one govt or any one country, so it's the sort of lie that couldn't last very long - if it were really a lie.

But so far no solid proof that the earth is flat, and lots of evidence that the earth is round.  Most obvious evidence that the earth is round - the horizon;  for more people (depending on their elevation) the horizon is only 5 to 10 miles away, from the top of the Empire State Building it's about 250 miles away; but if the earth were really flat, you should be able to see clear across the ocean.  It's because of the curve of the round earth that stuff disappears over the horizon, and if you drive toward the horizon that stuff becomes visible and the horizon moves (and the place where you started disappears over the horizon behind you).  And that's just the simplest evidence of the curvature of the earth.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »

Who are they?[/quote]

Question:  What is the progression of power in the U.S.A. of these "descendants of original kings"?  Did it start with George Washington?  Lincoln? Perhaps FDR?  Better yet, how about Eisenhower since he was President when NASA was founded in 1958.  What was his connection to these original kings?  Or were/are all U.S. Presidents just puppets of the 10-20 descendants of the Kings?

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
Ten or twenty "in the know" ...... Does "in the know" mean "believe that the earth is flat"?  From this website alone, I would figure about a hundred people (at least) believe (or at least pretend to believe) that the earth is flat.

And "paid handsomely" and "whatever it takes to keep theirs" - does this mean they got some sort of payoff for knowing the earth was flat or claiming it was round?  I see a lot of people on this website whom I'm sure would be much better off, and their families better off, if they got paid for claiming that the earth was round.  Nobody's offered them money.  Nobody's offered me money.  How does this payoff work again?? 

I know lots of people - including underpaid scientists and teachers - who clearly are not getting any money under the table for saying the earth is round - and they very obviously could use that extra money.  Considering that scientists are supposed to be interested in finding facts, I haven't seen one genuine scientist assert that the earth is flat - seems to me that doing so would make him famous and rich and yet nobody has done it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Do you mind if I claim that your claim that
"There might be 10-20 people that are actually in the know" is purely a figment of your imagination!

I estimate that there at least many hundreds of thousands, and possibly millions, whose jobs are so involved with the earth being a globe that there would know the true shape of the earth.

I claim that the people working tasks like that would include at least:
  • All involved directly in the space industry.
  • All international ships' navigators: They use marine gyrocompasses and need to be proficient in celestial navigation. They must plan the appropriate course and calculate the required fuel load. The distances on the most accepted flat earth continental layout are much larger than on a globe in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • All international airline route planners, pilots and first officers: They must plan the appropriate course and calculate the required fuel load. The distances on at least the most accepted flat earth continental layout are greatly larger than on a globe in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • All astronomers, both amateur and professional: Apart from all the differences in the detail of movement of celestial objects, all astronomers are aware of the "equatorial telescope mount", which simply could not work in the same way (if at all) on a flat earth.
  • All geodetic surveyors: They take measurements on large areas of the earth, and would soon know its shape.
  • All surveyors dealing in mining and tunnelling: where the Gyro-Theodolite is used for finding true directions in places where celestial observations (or GPS fixes) are not possible.
  • All engineers planning microwave links: where the maximum tower spacing is determined by the curve of the earth - and yes, they do know about refraction etc.
  • All those installing satellite TV dishes: and satellite communications links. The locations of satellites is vitally important in aligning the receiving antennae.

These people just go about their work based on the Globe Earth. If the earth were flat and not rotating many of these tasks would be performed quite differently or not exist at all and the people involved would certainly know the difference.

So stop dreaming and face reality!

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »

Yes, buy WHY?

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 04:15:40 AM »
I had to do it?

Who went first?

Let's see shall we?

The problem with you whacky lot...
Of course, being called whacky is not meant to be a personal attack...

How silly of me.

Since the day of your first post, you have seldom, if ever engaged in anything other than what you would accuse me of.

Me, yeah...

I do not mind admitting I engage in this type of stuff quite often.

You still want to ride your high horse...

So here:

Off you go, down to your local supermarket...

Your ride awaits!!!

My ride may await, but where is my answer?......most likely lost in all the horseshit!

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »

And I don't know why RE just don't declare "the earth is a globe because the pagan Greeks believed so, because Zeus said so"!

So, with or with no poll, I believe you - it is due to religion!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:32:01 AM by Hannibaal »
God—the knower—is non-dimensional.
God's thinking is two-dimensional.
God's creative actions are three-dimensional.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »

Perhaps you are confusing governments and cosmologists, geologists, rocket engineers, also explorers that have sailed around the planet centuries ago, aeronautics industry.

You seem to group everyone together.
How do these 20 people live forever? How do they fool all these experts from different fields over multiple generations?

Do we have like 1000 flat eathers who work as professionals who can state that they observed/measured something? Nope, there aren't any.

Because, right now, what are you basing your belief in a flat earth on? Your united statian government lied to you about something and that hurt your feelings?

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »

What narrative? Again, what advantage is there for these mysterious keepers of knowledge? Just the knowledge itself? Do you really believe our current world leaders are competent enough to maintain such a enormous conspiracy secret from the public? I can just see it now.

"Congratulations on becoming POTA Donald. Now, have you been briefed on the flat earth stuff yet?"

"Yes Vladimir. I just got off the phone with Xi. That's some freaky shit man!"

Even then, you have the great problem that millions of people utilise the sphericity of the earth in their daily professions. None of them have noticed their assumption is wrong and the earth is indeed flat? This is a laughable concept.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:41:35 AM by Zammo »
If I'm a complete Idiot for not believing in your Heliocentric fairytale then so be it.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
The government - any government - could not explore and exploit the region beyond The Edge without involving many hundreds of people, most of whom would know what was going on. 

Some eccentrics on this website have theorized (with zero evidence) that the flat surface stretches out far beyond the known and mapped continents (even stretched out infinitely) - whether it's all ocean or there's land, there would be exploration, an effort at exploiting that extra span for energy, minerals, foods, living space, etc. - even entirely new scientific discoveries.

If it were the typical notion of a flat earth, with The Edge being the corner of the sides, of the flanks, of the planet - whether gravity causes explorers to cling to the sides or they have to use ropes and pins likes mountaineers - there might be entirely new life forms (plants, maybe even animals, possibly even something intelligent) living on The Side.

Either way, it certainly seems worth the effort to explore .... assuming the governments of the world have been lying to us about how this planet is shaped.  If it were already attempted we would have heard of it by now, and if it were not attempted then the governments have been wasting time in the worst way keeping this big secret.  And you'd expect that a country hostile to America might have attempted such exploration just to spite us.  If it were true that the earth is flat.

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 05:21:41 AM »
There doesn't have to be a government conspiracy.
It is a waste of time arguing with the indoctrinated they are only able to repeat what their masters (gods)have told them there are many videos on you tube of weather balloons and rockets at over one hundred thousand feet showing a flat horizon  with the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time these videos look much more realistic than the Nasa ones .
But they will not accept these as proof but will accept NASA's CGI as proof seems hypocritical.
I think it is better not to accept either as proof for geocentric or heliocentric models but instead verify the two existing theorys yourself.

Would you argue with a Christian fundamentalist about jesus ?

Would you argue with a Islamic fundamentalist about Muhammed? 

So why waste your time arguing with a Scientific fundamentalist about the shape of the Earth or space ?

The simple fact is that nobody has been into deep space and witnessed the Earth and other planets orbiting the Sun there is not even a video of this even though we have sent hundreds of probes out into deep space.

I thought this was a Flat Earth Society which led me to believe it was a place where people who are sceptical about the modern science religion to have a serious discussion it would seem it'sa place where scientific fundamentalists repeat what they have been told to each other because it makes them feel better.

The government just put out what they have been told by the Scientific  religous cult.

For example someone standing at the bottom of a pyramid can't see what's happening on the three other sides and they can hardly see the top.