Picture from the edge?

• 70 Replies
Re: Picture from the edge?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »

1)   If the earth is flat, like a saucer, then it has an end point, an edge.
2)   If so then all you have to do is travel to the edge and take a picture or video.
3)   Show that picture or video to the world as proof.

1)    If Flat Earth is infinite, there would be no end point or edge.
2)    (#1)
3)    (#1)

Apologies for substituting "could be" where you said "if." Apparently I fail to comprehend the nuances.

You've done a nice job of obfuscation. All that you are doing is trying to muddle the conversation to avoid saying anything with substance.
"Science is real."
--They Might Be Giants

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
Providing a photo of the edge would provide us some real evidence to discuss at last.
):

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »

1)   If the earth is flat, like a saucer, then it has an end point, an edge.

These two sentences are almost identical in structure and scope.
The only difference appears to be that you like one of them and do not like the other.
I have no control over that.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
Good God the noob and perma-noob butthurt is real...Wow.

I wonder what insult is used most here?

I would bet..

Crazy..
Uneducated..
Idiot..
Tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist..
Loser..

Followed by generic profanity... Just my guess

Though why do such comments always come from blowhards?

Overcompensation​ for a lack of something?
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »

1)   If the earth is flat, like a saucer, then it has an end point, an edge.

These two sentences are almost identical in structure and scope.
The only difference appears to be that you like one of them and do not like the other.
I have no control over that.

The OP was joining a conversation about the shape of the Earth. It maybe could have started with, "Many flat Earthers support the idea of a disk with an edge. However, if..." Perhaps the author felt that this was unnecessary given the context of the forum. So when you reply, "If it were infinite...," I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to assume that you were offering a counter-explanation or alternate theory. This is a forum for discussing/debating the shape of the Earth, is it not? I'm sure that there are forums out there for esoteric philosophy and/or semantic quibbling if that's your thing. Perhaps you could find a forum that debates the difference between "if" and "it could be."
"Science is real."
--They Might Be Giants

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »

The OP was joining a conversation about the shape of the Earth. It maybe could have started with, "Many flat Earthers support the idea of a disk with an edge. However, if..."

But, it didn't. Did it?

So when you reply, "If it were infinite...," I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to assume that you were offering a counter-explanation or alternate theory. This is a forum for discussing/debating the shape of the Earth, is it not?

Did you reply to the OP?

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

The OP was joining a conversation about the shape of the Earth. It maybe could have started with, "Many flat Earthers support the idea of a disk with an edge. However, if..."

But, it didn't. Did it?

So when you reply, "If it were infinite...," I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to assume that you were offering a counter-explanation or alternate theory. This is a forum for discussing/debating the shape of the Earth, is it not?

Did you reply to the OP?

No. I replied to replies to the OP. Did you ever say anything substantive other than suggesting the "infinite Earth" hypothesis (and then pretending that you didn't)?

Honestly, I don't think that it's the best debunking of FE because it would (predictably) be followed by conspiracy nonsense (as we saw).

This is my favorite: The most common FE model has a flat Earth with a diameter of about 25,000 miles and a Sun circling 3,000 miles overhead while lighting up half the Earth. If that's the case, then the Sun would never be lower than about 20 degrees. (This is best if the person knows a little basic trigonometry so they can calculate inverse tangent, but it is not absolutely necessary.) Perspective would never get the Sun close to the horizon if it is that high. (Well, it could, but it would have to move far beyond the dimensions of the Earth.)
"Science is real."
--They Might Be Giants

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2017, 01:32:10 AM »
Providing a photo of the edge would provide us some real evidence to discuss at last.

You are indeed correct so here you go...

http://www.n2yo.com/space-station/

Oops no edge I'm afraid, but you'll soon get used to the truth. I think you FE find it a bit scary the earth being a sphere....

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2017, 02:23:20 AM »

But, it didn't. Did it?

Did you reply to the OP?

No.

Are you going to?

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
You would be shot and killed before you reached the edge. Antarctica is patrolled by the US military 24/7 to keep the "environment safe". Also GPS does not work at the north pole and near the edges of flat Earth.

Except people go there all the time for expeditions, hiking, cruises, tours, circumnavigating the continent ... and amazingly enough, none of them was shot!

In fact, you can book a seat today, FEer! Just go there and take some pictures of the icewall!

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/antarctica-cruise/detail
http://www.adventure-life.com/antarctica
https://www.quarkexpeditions.com/en
http://www.polarcruises.com/specials/antarctica-specials
http://www.silversea.com/destinations/antarctica-cruise/

Do it!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 04:23:26 AM »
You would be shot and killed before you reached the edge. Antarctica is patrolled by the US military 24/7 to keep the "environment safe". Also GPS does not work at the north pole and near the edges of flat Earth.
Do you have any evidence for "You would be shot and killed before you reached the edge" or is that purely guesswork.
Of course, I would suggest that you leave your cache of AK-47s behind!

GPS works reasonably well at the North Pole, though not as well as at lower latitudes, see: Journey to the North Pole with Sarah (2007)

Sarah is standing over the North Pole (which is under the ship). Here Longitude has no meaning.
And her (ancient) Garmin  Legend!

Likewise, in Antarctica GPS is used, but has its limitations.
Quote from: Australian Antarctic Division
Navigation in Antarctica
This week at Mawson: 1 November 2013
In the days before Global Positioning Satellites, or GPS, were invented, land navigation in Antarctica was a real challenge. Magnetic compasses, sun compasses, sextants, and dead reckoning were all used by the Antarctic traveller, but each method had its own unique drawbacks. Even modern day GPS can have problems. Coverage at the higher latitudes is limited to certain, yet predictable, hours of the day. At times, accuracy is diminished by the low incident angles of the satellites to the horizon.

From Australian Antarctic Division, Navigation in Antarctica