Is it possible?

• 7 Replies
Is it possible?
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:37:10 AM »
RE and FE belief are diametrically opposed. Belief in one necessitates rejection of the other. But from what I've read and experienced on this site thbe question is not as simple as it may first appear. It strikes me FE belief has numerous other adjacent and possibly optional beliefs that may be added to their core belief.

Beliefs such as channeling, perpetual energy, social world wide conspiracy, religious fundamentalism, spirituality, anti science, libertarianism, denial of spaceflight and a completely different view of both the earth and the universe in which we all live.

On this forum it's akin to trying to mix oil and water, its just not possible.

Because RE and FE share no common ground it is therefore impossible for any meaningful debate. They will deny any images from space that shown the spherical earth while RE ers will deny things such as channeling and perpetual motion as they contradict all the known laws of physics, laws themselves that have no place in the FE universe.

The question I would like to ask...Is it it at all possible to have any meaningful debate on this forum given the diametrically different world views that RE ers and FE ers have?

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
Re: Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:03:00 AM »
That strongly depends on the mind set of whoever participates. On quite a few occasions, threads were started with the question: what would it take to convince you? While some people come with very reasonable answers, may I say mostly the non-angry REers, the large majority is so stubborn and close minded that there is almost no point in debating. In the end, the majority will still believe whatever they want to believe, what fits their interests best to believe, and this is a mind set that is very dangerous to our modern society. Something isn't true just because you want it to be true; alternatively, something isn't a lie simply because you don't like or understand it.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 05:51:45 AM »
RE and FE belief are diametrically opposed. Belief in one necessitates rejection of the other. But from what I've read and experienced on this site thbe question is not as simple as it may first appear. It strikes me FE belief has numerous other adjacent and possibly optional beliefs that may be added to their core belief.

Beliefs such as channeling, perpetual energy, social world wide conspiracy, religious fundamentalism, spirituality, anti science, libertarianism, denial of spaceflight and a completely different view of both the earth and the universe in which we all live.

Because RE and FE share no common ground it is therefore impossible for any meaningful debate. They will deny any images from space that shown the spherical earth while RE ers will deny things such as channeling and perpetual motion as they contradict all the known laws of physics, laws themselves that have no place in the FE universe.

The question I would like to ask...Is it it at all possible to have any meaningful debate on this forum given the diametrically different world views that RE ers and FE ers have?
I disagree that RE and FE share no common ground.

Further, your statement: "Beliefs such as channeling, perpetual energy, social world wide conspiracy, religious fundamentalism, spirituality, anti science, libertarianism, denial of spaceflight..." is not strictly FE or RE.

RE and FE share some of these beliefs.

As a matter of fact, I would be willing to wager there are more RE (percentage wise) who believe in the things presented in your list.

Your premise is flawed and dishonest.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 06:05:35 AM »
In the end, the majority will still believe whatever they want to believe, what fits their interests best to believe, and this is a mind set that is very dangerous to our modern society. Something isn't true just because you want it to be true; alternatively, something isn't a lie simply because you don't like or understand it.

This.

Also I've had heaps of great discussions with flat earthers.
BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:07:25 AM »

I'm new here so I don't know every single thing you guys discuss about.
What is libertarianism?
What leads spirituality to the flat earth thing?

I understand the religious group better since I have experience with them when it comes to discussing what is science and what isnít science (nope, Intelligent Design is not science. It is just a stack of I donít know and it is too complex, therefore my god is real. This doesnít qualify as professional work.). These guys mostly have a christian background and are in the USA. They interpret evolution theory/cosmology/geophysics/radiometry/psychology to mean that their religion is false. On the other hand, you have other christian and muslim groups point to these same sciences and say that it supports their religion.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »

Further, your statement: "Beliefs such as channeling, perpetual energy, social world wide conspiracy, religious fundamentalism, spirituality, anti science, libertarianism, denial of spaceflight..." is not strictly FE or RE.

As a matter of fact, I would be willing to wager there are more RE (percentage wise) who believe in the things presented in your list.

I wasn't trying to be dishonest...honest....the list was derived from some of the things you flat people said you believed in. Go do a trawl through the forum reserved for flat earthers and you will be supprised the amount of weird shit that is discussed, including all the stuff in the list....so no your assertion is in fact incorrect.....go look if you don't believe me!

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »

Ps I do agree that some of the things on the list are not exclusive to flat earth whackjobs, there are roundearth whackjobs too, take mother superior for example......but don't mention either 9 or 11 in the same sentence or he will go apperplectic.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Everyone uses computers and the internet to access this site. So nobody can deny all of the science that made this technology available to share their views. That is a starting point.