Proof that the Earth is indeed flat

• 179 Replies
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "pspunit"
Quote from: "bullhorn"
It is a nice picture and I assume what we are looking at is atmospheric distortion.

Cameras don't show refractal illusions, ever taken a picture of a huge harvest moons that fill up the sky?

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »
next he's going to say that the camera manufacturers are producing lenses that make the atmospheric distortion so that we BELIEVE the earth is round. I propose the purchase of a dunce cap for bullhorn.

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2006, 05:53:45 PM »
Maybe this a website that just baits people who like to argue.

« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2006, 04:13:49 PM »
Bullhorn, you simply explained the theory of gravity on a 'flat' earth as 'travelling upwards really fast'. This does not mean anything, gravity is not created by doing this. In a space where nothing exists, no gravity 'travelling upwards really fast' would do nothing atall, if you where to jump then you would continue travelling upwards at the speed of your jump and the speed of the so called 'travelling really fast upward flat earth' meaning you would not come back down and eventually leave the earths atmosphere and travel forever really fast upwards

The reason when you make something move upwards really fast on earth and stuff appears to stick to it is beacuase earth has its own gravity, there is gravity allready there and travelling upwards simply increases the gravity. This increases in the gravitational pull and is called 'G Force'.

By the way, I am only 14 years old and I think you are an idiot, you can not simply assume the earth is flat. Even if you lived alone, away from all civilisation and so where not affected by this 'world wide coverup', if you where intelligent enough you would figure out that the earth is round, simply from star gazing and experimenting.

I think that you know the earth is round, you are just an attention seeker and are bored.

Or maybe you have been living in the year 1500 up untill now.
 believe somewhere along the line of human evolution a new species branched off, a 'missing link' if you will. This less intelligent, rather dull, new species of ape were so named the 'flat-earthers'.

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2006, 04:25:47 PM »
And if we where travelling upwards really fast, surley we would see the stars racing past us, or atleast changed slightly since the greeks first mapped them.
 believe somewhere along the line of human evolution a new species branched off, a 'missing link' if you will. This less intelligent, rather dull, new species of ape were so named the 'flat-earthers'.

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2006, 04:45:33 PM »
So... The earth is flat, all the planets in our solar system are going up with us, either their flat too or there sperhical.

So either all those other planets have all there shit falling off them.
Or flat earthers believe in two seperate forms of physics.
Lil farfetched

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2006, 08:05:09 AM »
Also if the Earth is moving upwards really fast would this not be noticeable to helicopters. If a helicopter was hovering a few feet of the ground surely the Earth would hit it if the Earth was really rising. This has never happened could it be THE EARTH IS ROUND???
An enraged
Cinlef
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2006, 08:51:10 AM »
exactly, hmmm.. kinda odd that no 'flat-earthers' have replied for a while  :roll: ... dnt ya think

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »
Maybe they all realized that computers as they are built using modern science cant possibly exist and are now telling themselves all computers in their houses arent really there but are government hoaxes and are therefore ignoring them as hard as possible.
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2006, 07:28:23 AM »
:lol:

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2006, 09:53:48 PM »
For 14 you are really smart T609 :)

« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2006, 06:18:56 AM »
:lol: that being the only flat earth reply in days, can i say pwned?

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2006, 08:51:59 AM »
I believe they are formulating an answer

« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2006, 10:30:59 AM »
if THEY are formulating an answer, what are you doing?

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »
The same thing.

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2006, 10:00:20 AM »
Quote from: "bullhorn"
For 14 you are really smart T609 :)

Thanks  :D... for once, I agree with a flat earther.

Can we get back to some arguing??? Can the flat earthers formulate an answer allready!!   :shock:

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
See, that's why I prefer my model of flat-earth gravity. This one has been torn to shreds. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but if the Earth is accelerating at a rate of 9.8 m/s², then it's velocity is obviously increasing at a constant rate. If the speed of sound is as documented - 340.3 m/s - then after a mere 35 seconds in existance, the earth would have broken the sound barrier. Then if the speed of light is 299 792 458 m/s, let's do some rough calculations to see when we'll reach that

299 792 458 m/s
divided by 9.8 m/s²
=30 591 067 seconds

30 591 067 seconds
divided by 60 seconds/minute
=509 851 minutes 7 seconds

509 851 minutes
divided by 60 minutes/hour
=8 497 hours 31 minutes 7 seconds

8 497 hours
divided by 24 hours/day
=354 days 1 hour 31 minutes 7 seconds

354 days
divided by 30 days/month
=11 months 24 days 1 hour 31 minutes 7 seconds

Put it all together and you've got 11 months 24 days 1 hour 31 minutes 7 seconds.

Now, I realize that I used numbers that were quite rounded so my answer is a bit off, but that's a general idea. Basically, just before 1 year of existance the Earth would have reached light speed. Now as far as I know (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), in theory nothing can travel at that speed without a mass of 0. Also, if something were to travel faster than light, it would actually travel back in time. That's why it is said that time travel is impossible, is it not?

So... is the Earth traveling back in time?

[EDIT] Alright, it's come to my attention that this HAS already been said. Whatever, I still said it.

[EDIT2] Slight miscalculation, I left out a division by 60. The correct numbers hae been substituted

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2006, 09:02:38 AM »
ok, so bullhorns thingy has been proven wrong. Alex, you say that you have a model for a possible flat earth, can you explain it to us?

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »
how do the flat-earthers explain ocean tides?

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
Quote from: "t609"
ok, so bullhorns thingy has been proven wrong. Alex, you say that you have a model for a possible flat earth, can you explain it to us?

Go to this topic http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=996
Replace everything I say about evolution with adaptation though, because Cinlef pointed out that evolution is not a valid proof since it itself is not proved and could be refuted in different ways (not that he menioned any). Adaptation however is easily demonstrated in human beings.

« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2006, 03:55:23 PM »
Have not heard much from the FE's for a while now. Something wrong?

And yes, people belived that the earth was flat for many years. Then let me allow myself to say this.

Thunder is caused by Thor!
he earth is round

« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
Hee hee, they believe in satellites on giant poles, how retarded is that?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2006, 11:38:29 AM »
Quote from: "BlackJack"
Hee hee, they believe in satellites on giant poles, how retarded is that?

Hee hee, I don't know, o harbourer of all true knowledge and wisdom.... why don't you tell us how retarded it is, or get your baseles, infantile commentary to the Angry Rants forum?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

youre_all_retarded

« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2006, 02:25:09 PM »
Do you know how big the earth is? The curve is very gradual, and cannot be noticed from any one point on earth. And seriously, why would the government doctor photos; there is nothing to gain from it.

This is how I see it.
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2006, 05:05:26 PM »
I know alot of you people have been putting down the intelect of flat earthers. Well obvioulsy you haveas little or less intelect then them. I mean let me put it this way. Say you are a christian because you were raised by a christian family that made you go to church, while your little these thoughts get imbeded in  your mind as pure truth, they cann ot be lies because grown-ups have said them. Now if you parents brought you up thinking the world is flat and making you believe that, your pretty much going to believe that no matter how much proof disprooves is. I could say god isnt real because if god has no faults why did he put mary through so much pain of giving birth to jesus? Also many other arguments but I'm not here to argue about God.

So please, PLEASE!, do not start flaming because you feel the need to put down some ones beliefs that they grew up thinking. Would you like me to tell you your parents have been lieing to you and they're stupid and wrong? You most likely wouldnt believe me.

Oh and yes power to the 14 year olds. I'm also 14...w00t  :)
he Earth is flat, because if it wasnt then how do you explain the 1,000,000,000+ mile in circumference 125 foot tall ice barrier at the edge of the earth [which is round, but flat like a 2D circle]? and if 1+1=2 then the earth is flat.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: This is how I see it.
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2006, 05:11:24 PM »
Quote from: "I are a believer"
I know alot of you people have been putting down the intelect of flat earthers.

What's the point of this post?  You just want us to be nice to each other, is that it?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Re: This is how I see it.
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "I are a believer"
I know alot of you people have been putting down the intelect of flat earthers.

What's the point of this post?  You just want us to be nice to each other, is that it?

No Erasmus, just less flaming, you can disporove them, but stop the explicit remarks and the comments that consist of nothing but insults, and really get nothing acomplished but angering someone.
he Earth is flat, because if it wasnt then how do you explain the 1,000,000,000+ mile in circumference 125 foot tall ice barrier at the edge of the earth [which is round, but flat like a 2D circle]? and if 1+1=2 then the earth is flat.

« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2006, 07:43:10 PM »
The earth is far to large for you to see the actual curvature from the ground. If you were to go up in a air plane and look out the front window, you might see it a *little* bit, but it's very subtitle.

What you CAN see from the ground is the horizon. This occurs not because of a limitation of the eyes, but because of the ground dropping away from you.

If you've ever spent time at a dock watching the ships leave, particularly a tall masted ship (a bit of a rarity now days..) you will notice that, as it approaches the horizon, the bottom part drops out of your vision. No, it's not sinking.

The reverse is true of a ship approaching you from the horizon. At first, only the top is visible. As it comes closer to you, the ship "rises" until you can see the whole hull.

On "flat-earth", this would not happen. Ships would simply keep on going and going until you can no longer see them do to poor eyesight.

How's that for real world evidence?

And yeah, it would be nice if we could be more friendly. This is only the internet after all.

« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »
Now if you parents brought you up thinking the world is flat and making you believe that, your pretty much going to believe that no matter how much proof disprooves is

Uhhh... only if you don't have the ability to think for yourself.
ooyakasha!

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2006, 11:14:29 PM »
So please, PLEASE!, do not start flaming because you feel the need to put down some ones beliefs that they grew up thinking. Would you like me to tell you your parents have been lieing to you and they're stupid and wrong? You most likely wouldnt believe me.

I have to agree with Knight on this one.  Say I grew up believing that a soda can I keep on my table is an all-powerful God.  Let's say I do this because my parents told me so.  I worship this soda can.  Seeing as this can easily be proven false and a stupid belief as a whole, beyond question, (say you destroy the can) I am stupid for believing such a thing.

Your point of view (the "people aren't responsible for their thoughts" point of view) is simply an overly-liberal by-product of a society that refuses to take resposibility for it's own actions.  If you're 8 years old, fine, you're not necessarily stupid for believing what an adult tells you, but once you've reached an age at which you can logically reason, you become resposible for your beliefs, an if you believe something stupid, that's your problem.  And I reserve the right to point out your illogic with any amount of demeaning, satirical wit I deem necessary.