Why Don't You Just Get Together And Send a Drone or Balloon Up With a Camera

• 52 Replies

JackBlack

Well as there mere existence of the horizon is evidence of a round Earth, even with it bendy like that due to the optics, it is still irrefutable evidence of a round Earth.
False
And how about you go through my explanation and point out what was wrong with it?

Well as there mere existence of the horizon is evidence of a round Earth, even with it bendy like that due to the optics, it is still irrefutable evidence of a round Earth.
False
please give us an explanation why you think it is false
Because "the mere existence of a horizon" is not evidence of a round earth. Is that difficult to understand? Seems like it could have been easily inferred from the reply. Oh well.
And that is just repeating the same bullshit (unless you think you are too stupid to tell what is meant by you saying a statement is false).
It isn't telling us why.

I explained why it shows Earth is round, why it wouldn't happen on a flat Earth.

Quote from: scoundrel
Why Don't You Just Get Together And Send a Drone or Balloon Up With a Camera

I posted asking why some of you don't get together and do something like this. Then you can use the camera and lens which is right for you.

I have a theory about this, which is only my personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt. 
Why the FE side doesn’t do this: You can see from the beach that the earth appears to be flat, an appearance that is unchanged even at the top of the tallest building or highest mountain.  Even from an airliner 30 thousand feet up, the horizon is obviously farther away but still it all looks flat.  A flat earth believer might very easily ask themselves “Why would I expect it to change if I send a camera up even higher, if it didn’t change at all from 30k feet?” and conclude that there is nothing to be gained in spending time and money to put a camera way up high to only bring back another flat-appearing image.

Why the RE side doesn't do this: The earth is big.  Very big.  So big, in fact, that no matter how high you go, it will appear to be flat because the curvature is very small over human perceivable distances, and if you can see curvature it is just as likely to be a camera effect as it is to be real curvature.  Besides which, every time the RE side presents a photo that purports to prove the earth round, the FE side rejects it.  Why should THIS time be different?

Or maybe you can just look at the link that I posted and see clear evidence of curvature.

A video of a mobile device is evidence of curvature  ???

I guess RE has set a record-low bar for what they consider evidence.

And Perspective is evidence of a flat earth?

Junker

I don't know, did anyone claim it was?

some use it as explanation for the vanishing ship over the horizon phenomenon.
but that is total Bullshit,
the phenomenon it an evidence for the global earth

Rowbotham claims so, and RE with questions are often referred to him as reading material.

Yes, most FE

JackBlack

Perspective isn't often claimed as proof (or evidence) of a flat Earth.
It is falsely claimed as a refutation of various round Earth proofs/evidence.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Why should we spend our hard earned money to send up a balloon when it has been done before?  What exactly was this going to prove?  Were we supposed to get some kind of new information that no other person has previously discovered?  I know you roundies are running low on ammo, but please at least try to give the impression of using logic when trying to formulate an argument.

JackBlack

Why should we spend our hard earned money to send up a balloon when it has been done before?  What exactly was this going to prove?  Were we supposed to get some kind of new information that no other person has previously discovered?  I know you roundies are running low on ammo, but please at least try to give the impression of using logic when trying to formulate an argument.

Because you reject the ones which have been done before, making up whatever excuses you can to pretend Earth is flat.

Why should we spend our hard earned money to send up a balloon when it has been done before?  What exactly was this going to prove?  Were we supposed to get some kind of new information that no other person has previously discovered? 

Till here you are correct.
People send even people into space and they confirmed that the earth is a globe.
But its always these Flatards that deny that these proves are correct.

I know you roundies are running low on ammo, but please at least try to give the impression of using logic when trying to formulate an argument.
I never saw that a Flatards used any logic.
You know:
Ignoring facts does not change facts.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Why should we spend our hard earned money to send up a balloon when it has been done before?  What exactly was this going to prove?  Were we supposed to get some kind of new information that no other person has previously discovered? 

People send even people into space and they confirmed that the earth is a globe.

I know you roundies are running low on ammo, but please at least try to give the impression of using logic when trying to formulate an argument.
You know:

Do any of the balloons go high enough in order to see enough of the Earth to be able to see the shape of it?  If not, then the whole premise of this thread was faulty from the start. 

JackBlack

Do any of the balloons go high enough in order to see enough of the Earth to be able to see the shape of it?  If not, then the whole premise of this thread was faulty from the start.

Yes, some reach a high enough altitude to start to see the curve of the horizon clearly.

You know:

And also the ISS (yes it's not a balloon) is high enough that we can see the earth curvature.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
Hey,

I'm new here but this is bugging me so I decided to make a thread from the off. It's the main reason I just registered. What I'm wondering is what's in the title. Why don't some of you just get together and organize so that you can have a drone or a balloon sent up as far as possible, with whatever lens you think is best, then you can see the results for yourselves regarding your theories on the lack of curvature of the Earth?

This is a good example of what I'm talking about (even if the lens isn't right for you.), can't some of you get together and sort something like this out? If not, why not?

You do realize that you can't see that much curvature from such an altitude even if the Earth were indeed a sphere? By the way, just for those who haven't noticed but even without a fisheye lens photos are always distorted if you try to capture a huge object ...
If you have a shitty-ass wide lens, then yes it will distort.
If you have a good lens, it will not... or not enough to be noticeable without pixel peeping.
If you have an amazing lens, it will not distort.
):

The curvature you see is caused by a fisheye lens. This is well known. But there are many videos available where fisheye lens' were not used, and everyone of them shows a flat horizon in all directions. With the horizon always coming up to eye level. Research it. Literally anyone can send one up now to see for themselves with a GoPro for fairly cheap. Kits can be bought online for $500-$1000. And they will get you up into the stratosphere at over 100,000 ft. I got one, and I'm sending it up August 21 to view the eclipse from an area of totality. I will post my footage.

Babushka

• I can cook minute rice in 58 seconds
True Flat Earth believers don't take any evidence whatsoever. They believe what they want, and I'm guessing that's why this website was made.
I can communicate with vegetables, but only after hitting up some bath salts

https://runt-of-the-web.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/baby-taxidermy.jpg

With the horizon always coming up to eye level. Research it.
Incorrect.  The horizon is visibly below 'eye level' from a high peak, and more so from an airplane.

Ignore the Altitude, Lat, and Long data, I was in airplane mode to take this photo and the last time the phone had a GPS fix was at the departure airport.  You can't even see where the ACTUAL horizon is in this photo, because there are clouds.  So the horizon is actually lower than it appears to be, and yet there is plenty of blue sky showing below the 0° mark.  Every time you have a clear view to where the horizon should be, you will find it below the 0° mark.

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
Ok. So you're just avoiding the main question I asked and focusing on that instead.

Ill address your main question.

It has been done. Proof from drones does exist that NASA and the space agencies are lying, and the Earth is flat.

But when presented with evidence that contradicts what someone has believed and been told their whole lives is a truth, their ability to discern whats fact and whats fiction becomes blurred.

And even if that person does believe the truth, that Earth is flat, what then? Whats the next step? Call NASA and let them know? Write a letter to your congressman? Thatll show em right?

When shown evidence that the Earth is flat most globeheads respond just like this quote here...

True Flat Globe Earth believers don't take any evidence whatsoever. They believe what they want, and I'm guessing that's why this website was made.

It has been done. Proof from drones does exist that NASA and the space agencies are lying, and the Earth is flat.
What proof?  Drones can't go high enough to provide proof one way or the other.

JackBlack

The curvature you see is caused by a fisheye lens. This is well known. But there are many videos available where fisheye lens' were not used, and everyone of them shows a flat horizon in all directions. With the horizon always coming up to eye level. Research it. Literally anyone can send one up now to see for themselves with a GoPro for fairly cheap. Kits can be bought online for $500-$1000. And they will get you up into the stratosphere at over 100,000 ft. I got one, and I'm sending it up August 21 to view the eclipse from an area of totality. I will post my footage.
No it doesn't.
Only when they are close to the ground or with a small FOV does it show a "flat" horizon.
The other times it shows a flat horizon is when the horizon is below the centre of the FOV of the camera, resulting in the fish eye lens distortion distorting the curve into a straight line, or when it has been passed through a filter to "correct" the fish eye lens distortion by making the horizon straight.

The horizon is always a circle, centred on you. It is technically flat, as it can be described as the intersection of a plane with a sphere.

But in no case has the horizon been at eye level.
The only time that happens is when your eye level is ground level.
Pretty much no footage in the world can easily show that, as you need to know the orientation of the camera.

The easiest way to do it is with a few wide angle cameras all strapped together and aligned, and their footage stitched together into a panorama. (which you can just use a 360 degree camera for).
If the cameras are level, then the horizon will be a line all around the FOV (thus a circle). If it is at eye level, it will be vertically centred. If it is below eye level, it will be below centre, if it is above eye level it will be above centre.

If the cameras are not level, then the horizon will be a circle which will appear as a wavy line. The section where it is highest in the vertical direction of the picture will be on the camera (or part thereof) pointing down the most, and the section where it appears the lowest will be on the camera pointing up.
These will be 180 degrees apart.
If the horizon is at eye level, then at 90 degrees from either location (in either direction), the horizon will cross the vertical centre of the camera and the extremes (the highest and lowest vertical position) will be the same.
If it is below eye level, the extremes will be lower than expected, with the higher location not being as far above the centre of view as the lowest location is below it.
It will also cross the centre of the FOV closer to the high extreme, rather than midway between the high and low.
Unless it is so far below that high extreme doesn't' even go above centre.
(It being above works the same but in the opposite direction, so every point moves up, so it crosses closer to the low extreme or the low extreme might be above.

You can test all this by getting a ring and seeing how the cameras acts at various angles with the ring at the same height as the camera (eye level), above it or below it.

Also, the vast majority (if not all) of the go-pro family have wide angle lenses which will result in significant distortion.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Ok. So you're just avoiding the main question I asked and focusing on that instead.

Ill address your main question.

You show me your evidence of
"Proof from drones does exist that NASA and the space agencies are lying, and the Earth is flat."
I'm still waiting!

Quote from: Arealhumanbeing
But when presented with evidence that contradicts what someone has believed and been told their whole lives is a truth, their ability to discern whats fact and whats fiction becomes blurred.
You show me your evidence
"evidence that contradicts what someone has believed and been told their whole lives is a truth".

Quote from: Arealhumanbeing
And even if that person does believe the truth, that Earth is flat, what then? Whats the next step? Call NASA and let them know? Write a letter to your congressman? Thatll show em right?

When shown evidence that the Earth is flat most globeheads respond just like this quote here...

True Flat Earth believers don't take any evidence whatsoever. They believe what they want, and I'm guessing that's why this website was made.
I repaired your deceptive Quote, hope you don't mind!

Debunking a few Flat Earth claims with a Drone - Part 1, Wolfie6020
Sunset time delayed 3 minutes at 1147 ft.

I keep asking you to show me the evidence - where is it? Don't just tell "me it is there"!

If I have missed a post
where you presented thing stunning that the earth is not a Globe, please point out where it is.

JackBlack

Then why has no one been able to provide any of this evidence and instead all the evidence provided is either ambiguous as to if Earth is flat or round, or sides with Earth being round. The mere existence of the horizon as a sharp line instead of just fading to a blur is evidence that Earth is round.

This depends on the idividual in question. But it is one key attribute that leads to people believing Earth is flat. Their religion, which they have been indoctrinated into from earlier childhood, says Earth is flat, so they demand it is and ignore evidence which shows it isn't.

Another key factor is when someone has stood against the grain they then don't want to admit they were a moron, and thus will ignore evidence that shows Earth is round.

No one has presented any evidence which goes against Earth being round.

But that isn't the truth. The truth is that Earth is round.
The next step for someone who thinks Earth is flat is to gather and provide evidence for Earth being flat and refute the evidence for Earth being round. Not just spout nonsense about it, actually refute it.

That is yet to be done.

No. They don't.
No one has ever been provided evidence that Earth is flat.

What most rational people will do when provided with what people claim is evidence that Earth is flat is analyse that and point out why it isn't evidence that Earth is flat, and/or bring up all the evidence (or some of it) that Earth is round.