Zeno's paradox proves digital physics

• 13 Replies

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
Zeno's paradox proves digital physics
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
Zeno's paradox known as the paradox of Achilles and a turtle goes like this: Consider a race of fast Achilles and a slow turtle. At the beginning of the race, the turtle is placed ahead of Achilles by 100m. Both of them start to run. Achilles reaches the place where the turtle used to be at the beginning of the race, however, the turtle has already moved a little. Achilles then runs to the place when the turtle was when he was 100m ahead of his start, however, the turtle has moved a bit more. And by the time Achilles reaches the place where the turtle is, the turtle will have moved even farther away. Therefore, Achilles can never overtake the turtle, only the distance between them decreases, but it never reaches zero. Now, obviously, Achilles will eventually overtake the Turtle.

It seems like the only sensical solution is that we assume that space and time are made of pixels, that the space is made of small cubes and that no particle can occupy only a part of such a cube, and that time is also not continuous. Then, the distance between Achilles and the turtle can't be between zero and the length of a pixel, but it goes immediately to zero when it comes the time when it should be smaller than a pixel, as it happens in computer games. I have a good reason to think this type of logic is right, it has lead to the correct philosophy of matter, atomism, in the ancient times. And since the time and space are demonstrably made of pixels, it has to be that we are all part of a computer simulation. Outside of our simulation, Achilles perhaps really couldn't overtake the turtle in a race. I know that this, that we are a part of a computer simulation, may be hard to swallow, but logic leads to such a conclusion. There are many scientists, including the nobel laureate Gerard 't Hooft, who realize this.
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319412849
The guy who probably did the most research on digital physics is a theoretical physicist called Stephen Wolfram.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/09/books/you-know-that-space-time-thing-never-mind.html
The inventor of the computer, Konrad Zuse, also suggested this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse#Calculating_Space
Most of the proponents of digital physics agree that our world is a type of computer simulation called cellular automaton, though there are some who suggest it's a Turing Machine.
Let's hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:08:58 AM by FlatAssembler »
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: Zeno's paradox proves digital physics
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
I think there is good reason that none of the proponents of digital physics uses the term "computer simulation" to describe the nature of the universe.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
Zeno's paradox known as the paradox of Achilles and a turtle goes like this: Consider a race of fast Achilles and a slow turtle. At the beginning of the race, the turtle is placed ahead of Achilles by 100m. Both of them start to run. Achilles reaches the place where the turtle used to be at the beginning of the race, however, the turtle has already moved a little. Achilles then runs to the place when the turtle was when he was 100m ahead of his start, however, the turtle has moved a bit more. And by the time Achilles reaches the place where the turtle is, the turtle will have moved even farther away. Therefore, Achilles can never overtake the turtle, only the distance between them decreases, but it never reaches zero. Now, obviously, Achilles will eventually overtake the Turtle.

It seems like the only sensical solution is that we assume that space and time are made of pixels, that the space is made of small cubes and that no particle can occupy only a part of such a cube, and that time is also not continuous. Then, the distance between Achilles and the turtle can't be between zero and the length of a pixel, but it goes immediately to zero when it comes the time when it should be smaller than a pixel, as it happens in computer games. I have a good reason to think this type of logic is right, it has lead to the correct philosophy of matter, atomism, in the ancient times. And since the time and space are demonstrably made of pixels, it has to be that we are all part of a computer simulation. Outside of our simulation, Achilles perhaps really couldn't overtake the turtle in a race. I know that this, that we are a part of a computer simulation, may be hard to swallow, but logic leads to such a conclusion. There are many scientists, including the nobel laureate Gerard 't Hooft, who realize this.
The guy who probably did the most research on digital physics is a theoretical physicist called Stephen Wolfram.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/09/books/you-know-that-space-time-thing-never-mind.html
Most of the proponents of digital physics agree that our world is a type of computer simulation called cellular automaton, though there are some who suggest it's a Turing Machine.

Calculus
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:18:16 AM »
The solution to the paradox is supertasks.

Every time achilles catches up to the turtles last position, achilles will need less time to do that again. As the distance between the turtle and achilles approaches infinitesimal, so does the time required to "perform the task" of catching up. It ends with catching up tp the turtle an infinite amount of times in an infinitesimal amount of time.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:27:31 PM »

Calculus

The question is how far can a turtle move in 10 seconds seeing that, The world record is 9.58 seconds for 100 meters.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
Sorry for not responding for so long, I've had many problems in this computer simulation people call reality.
I think there is good reason that none of the proponents of digital physics uses the term "computer simulation" to describe the nature of the universe.
Well, yes, they want to be more precise: cellular automation is a type of computer simulation.
Good point!
However, the problem remains: how can infinite number of steps be done in a finite amount of time?
Mathematically, yes, it's possible to deal with the infinite series. And it is also possible to get quite absurd results when doing that. What if I told you that, mathematically, 1+2+3…=-1/12? Just look it up!
Obviously, dealing with infinite series mathematically has nothing to do with the way they behave in real life. So, yeah, I don't think that's an explanation at all, yet alone an intuitive explanation.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 02:42:33 PM »
An interesting solution I've heard to Zeno's Paradox is Planck units.  Which sounds a little like what you're describing but maybe not intentionally.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
What if I told you that, mathematically, 1+2+3…=-1/12?

It does no such thing.

Access forum t f e s .org

science & alternative science section page 1

Infinity thread

Responses #16 and #17
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:47:57 PM by sandokhan »

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:12:49 AM »
Good point!
However, the problem remains: how can infinite number of steps be done in a finite amount of time?
Mathematically, yes, it's possible to deal with the infinite series. And it is also possible to get quite absurd results when doing that. What if I told you that, mathematically, 1+2+3…=-1/12? Just look it up!
Obviously, dealing with infinite series mathematically has nothing to do with the way they behave in real life. So, yeah, I don't think that's an explanation at all, yet alone an intuitive explanation.
I actually knew that you can turn that infinite series into -1/12, but did you know that the casimir force actually requires that as well? When trying to find a formula for the casimir force people reach a point early on where that specific series is part of the equation. It can be dealt with in a few ways, but they all end up with the series effectively being simplified to -1/12, where the negative sign means that the force is attractive. And this has been experimentally proven. It's not a long shot at all to assume that the universe can employ all sorts of mathematical phenomena, it has done that so far.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:16:06 AM by Master_Evar »

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
An interesting solution I've heard to Zeno's Paradox is Planck units.  Which sounds a little like what you're describing but maybe not intentionally.
Yeah, kind of. Except that the holometer has proven that the space is not quantized at the Planck length.
http://news.fnal.gov/2015/12/holometer-rules-out-first-theory-of-space-time-correlations/
It does no such thing.
I've looked into it, and I couldn't make sense out of it.
Here is the proof I was referring to:
Code: [Select]
S=1+2+3+4+…=?
S1=1-1+1-1+1-…=1/2
S2=1-2+3-4+5-…
2*S2=S2+S2=1-2+3-4+5-…
            +1-2+3-4+…
          =1-1+1-1+1-…=1/2
S2=1/4
S-S2= 1+2+3+4+…
     -1+2-3+4-…
    = 0+4+0+8+…=4+8+12+16…=4*(1+2+3+4+…)=4*S
S-1/4=4*S
-3*S=1/4
S=-1/12
Where do you think the error is and why?
And this has been experimentally proven.
String theory is not the mainstream science and there is probably a good reason for it. Nevertheless, I have the time, so I will look into the field further.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »
String theory is not the mainstream science and there is probably a good reason for it. Nevertheless, I have the time, so I will look into the field further.
String theory? This is quantum field theory, just so you don't go off looking into the wrong things. Here's a paper on an experiment which measured the casimir force:
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0203002

When in doubt; sources!

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
Well, yes, except that that same formula predicts the vacuum energy to be tens of orders of magnitude greater than it actually is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy
It seems to be a quite controversial topic in physics, it will probably take me weeks to understand what it's about.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »
In advanced mathematics, one of the several solve of infinity/infinity problem methods is we Simplify some variables goes to infinity. But when you do it in simple mathematics, you get a meaningless result like 1 = 2. So the mathematical rules can vary depending on the situation. This event suggests that different dimension has  different mathematics. If math collapses, what are we fighting for?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »
In advanced mathematics, one of the several solve of infinity/infinity problem methods is we Simplify some variables goes to infinity. But when you do it in simple mathematics, you get a meaningless result like 1 = 2. So the mathematical rules can vary depending on the situation. This event suggests that different dimension has  different mathematics. If math collapses, what are we fighting for?
I've seen many mathematical procedures leading to a result such as 1=2, all of them contain fairly obvious errors. Look, math is basically a simplified language made to, well, manipulate numbers and similar abstract things more effectively, to not have to use words, which are different in each language, to convey common ideas about them, and so on. In it, it doesn't make sense to say 1/0=?, for the same reason as it doesn't make sense to say in English "If I share a cake evenly with no people, how much is each going to get?". Can you show us exactly which mathematical procedure you are referring to?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.