The Same Number of People have Visited Antarctica as have Visited Outer Space...

• 130 Replies
A similar model as can be seen in use for the management of the 'Antarctica tourism industry' will likely be implemented for future 'outer space tourism'.
Aspirationally expensive, barely promoted or marketed, regularly referenced as proof of existence for the destination itself.

Long, boring, uncomfortable journey in an austere vessel resulting in being shown something that vaguely fits the preconceived description of the claimed destination.
No real way of verifying where you are, but why would willing customers doubt the veracity of their bragging rights providing expedition?

There is no outer space. There is no Antarctica. What lays beyond the limits of human exploration is unknown.

When I proposed an expedition to Antarctica, I didn't mean to land on ice, take some pictures with the penguins and camp overnight!
I am willing to pay half the cost to rent a ship (let's say a deep-sea fishing one) with captain and crew, to take us around Antarctica - starting at a certain point, go around and back to the same.

If they say it can be done and with no restrictions - if they did it, why can't we?

As well to plan a trip to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
Wonka is a real division of Nestle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Willy_Wonka_Candy_Company

In the United States, the Willy Wonka Candy Factory is located today at 1445 West Norwood Avenue in Itasca, Illinois.

http://brandchannel.com/2011/05/16/at-40-wonka-candy-is-greatest-reverse-product-placement-ever/

Marketing gimmicks aplenty.
It is like a finger pointing away to the moon.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Has anyone here actually been to the Antarctic?

Me!
No.
Please explain you reasons for calling tens of thousands of people liars, just to preserve your stupid ideas?

?

frenat

A similar model as can be seen in use for the management of the 'Antarctica tourism industry' will likely be implemented for future 'outer space tourism'.
Aspirationally expensive, barely promoted or marketed, regularly referenced as proof of existence for the destination itself.

Long, boring, uncomfortable journey in an austere vessel resulting in being shown something that vaguely fits the preconceived description of the claimed destination.
No real way of verifying where you are, but why would willing customers doubt the veracity of their bragging rights providing expedition?

There is no outer space. There is no Antarctica. What lays beyond the limits of human exploration is unknown.

When I proposed an expedition to Antarctica, I didn't mean to land on ice, take some pictures with the penguins and camp overnight!
I am willing to pay half the cost to rent a ship (let's say a deep-sea fishing one) with captain and crew, to take us around Antarctica - starting at a certain point, go around and back to the same.

If they say it can be done and with no restrictions - if they did it, why can't we?

In the United States, the Willy Wonka Candy Factory is located today at 1445 West Norwood Avenue in Itasca, Illinois.

http://brandchannel.com/2011/05/16/at-40-wonka-candy-is-greatest-reverse-product-placement-ever/

Translation: Crap I didn't know that.  My troll wasn't successful.

Me!
No.
Please explain you reasons for calling tens of thousands of people liars, just to preserve your stupid ideas?

Tens of thousands. I name you liar. And fool.

Translation: Crap I didn't know that.  My troll wasn't successful.

Are you really so desperate to be stupified?

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My plan includes post war helicopters from Cuba which I think is a little more than "just snapping a couple photos". Cuba will also be where we purchase armaments in case of retaliation from NASA or any of the agencies that anyone claims is against the FES, which I highly doubt would ever happen. The reason my photo starts around Newfoundland is because that would be by estimate the cheapest place in Canada to procure a small or large cargo vessel due to the regions ample fishing industry taking a massive hit. Could also procure a trading license at the Canadian shipping agency to cut down on fuel costs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_of_the_Atlantic_northwest_cod_fishery
It wouldn't cost much to rent a vessel, but buying one in case of damage would be the better option.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-24
Working Mi-24 1970 models shouldn't run up costs by too much in Cuba since that would be the cheapest place to purchase military aircraft on route that I could think of. They would be well maintained and they have only been sitting since 2011 when Castro stepped down, most would be cheap to buy on back channels due to there being no need for them anymore.
It might be a lot less expensive to simply fly to the South Pole!

Don't forget to take a sextant or theodolite, a very accurate timepiece and your trusty ADMIRALTY Nautical Almanac
so that you can prove that you were really taken to the Geographic South Pole at 90S 0E!

The "Adventure Tour" might cost about $USD 45,000. A lot of money, but a lot less than your suggestion.

But, of course, no Flat Earther would believe you when you got back.  ;D They are like that you know!  ;D
The Wiki states:
Quote from: the Wiki
Place of the Conspiracy in FET
P1) If personally unverifiable evidence contradicts an obvious truth then the evidence is fabricated
P2) The FET (Flat Earth Theory) is an obvious truth
P3) There is personally unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET
C1) The unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET is fabricated evidence

P4) If there is large amounts of fabricated evidence then there must be a conspiracy to fabricate it
P5) There is a large amount of fabricated evidence (see C1)
C2) There must be a conspiracy to fabricate it.
And once you return your "evidence" and photos are "personally unverifiable evidence" by others,
so must be "unverifiable evidence that contradicts the FET is fabricated evidence"!

Real nice folk, these Flat Earthers, aren't they?

True it would be cheaper, but how would I ever convince my fellow flat earthers? You know how stubborn we can be. The entire trip would have to be documented and archived for scrutiny. If you turn off the camera even once then people will say the entire trip was faked from both sides of the debate and not just ours. Only way is to document the entire trip from the forming of the crew and all of us jumping off the side of the earth into space.

Antithecyst

• Epistemological Anarchist
Nothing is beyond doubt, except for perhaps cogito ergo sum, and even that...

What do you mean by I?
What do you mean by think?
What do you mean therefore?
What do you mean I am?

Are you one, two, or two million?
Where do you end and others begin exactly?
Why do you feel the need to divide the world into self and other in the first place, and does not one necessitate the other?
And on and on...

For me, it's degrees, a spectrum of probability.
The more people claim to have seen a phenomenon, and the more reliable this phenomenon is, the more likely it exists, or could be said to exist, or could be said to make a meaningful impression on us individually/socially.

For me, I try to go beyond strict fact/fiction, objectivity/subjectivity, for me things are infinitely more ambiguous.
I would rather say Antarctica is more real to me than Space, but less real to me than China, which is less real to me still than my house.
Nothing is absolutely certain, not even nothing is absolutely certain, I'd say it's probable nothing is certain.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Aristotle

If you're not sinning against the scientific, religious and political status quo, than you're not really thinking.

Antithecyst

• Epistemological Anarchist
Giving up this quest for certainty quietens the mind a little.
We don't get into quite such a huff over disputes.
It also frees the mind up, permits room for creativity and imagination, whilst still keeping mostly grounded, where as if we were to give up the search for evidence/proof altogether, well, you'd end up like Pyrrho the skeptic, bathing your pig ten times a day whilst completely neglecting your own hygiene.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:26:42 PM by Antithecyst »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Aristotle

If you're not sinning against the scientific, religious and political status quo, than you're not really thinking.

Nothing is beyond doubt, except for perhaps cogito ergo sum, and even that...

What do you mean by I?
What do you mean by think?
What do you mean therefore?
What do you mean I am?

Are you one, two, or two million?
Where do you end and others begin exactly?
Why do you feel the need to divide the world into self and other in the first place, and does not one necessitate the other?
And on and on...

For me, it's degrees, a spectrum of probability.
The more people claim to have seen a phenomenon, and the more reliable this phenomenon is, the more likely it exists, or could be said to exist, or could be said to make a meaningful impression on us individually/socially.

For me, I try to go beyond strict fact/fiction, objectivity/subjectivity, for me things are infinitely more ambiguous.
I would rather say Antarctica is more real to me than Space, but less real to me than China, which is less real to me still than my house.
Nothing is absolutely certain, not even nothing is absolutely certain, I'd say it's probable nothing is certain.
I thought at the beginning there you were posting song lyrics with the way the sentences were structured

Me!

No.

Sorry. You're wrong.
Post pics of your trip to the Antarctic.
Can't? I guess that's because the Antarctic doesn't exist and you are just a government paid shill as well.
Deceiver! Conman! LIAR~!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
True it would be cheaper, but how would I ever convince my fellow flat earthers? You know how stubborn we can be. The entire trip would have to be documented and archived for scrutiny. If you turn off the camera even once then people will say the entire trip was faked from both sides of the debate and not just ours. Only way is to document the entire trip from the forming of the crew and all of us jumping off the side of the earth into space.

The only solution, as I see it, is for all flat earthers to be in your crew.
  • If the earth really were flat, there would be no problem, there would be no more Flat Earthers left.

• But, since we know that the the earth is a Globe, that Antarctica is real and that there really is a South Pole there would be then no problem with "personal verification", because all reformed Flat Earthers would have found out for themselves and been convinced.

The video would still be worthwhile in case some neo-Flatists spring up in the future.

:P See, a win-win situation for all.  :P It would be a pity about the Flat Earthers who were proved right, even though post-humously.
But, as they say, you have to break eggs to make an omelette!

What do think of my suggestion?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
But, since we know that the the earth is a Globe, that Antarctica is real and that there really is a South Pole there would be then no problem with "personal verification", because all reformed Flat Earthers would have found out for themselves and been convinced.

Even Tom Bishop?!

Are you new to these here parts?

• If the earth really were flat, there would be no problem, there would be no more Flat Earthers left.

• But, since we know that the the earth is a Globe, that Antarctica is real and that there really is a South Pole there would be then no problem with "personal verification", because all reformed Flat Earthers would have found out for themselves and been convinced.

The video would still be worthwhile in case some neo-Flatists spring up in the future.

:P See, a win-win situation for all.  :P It would be a pity about the Flat Earthers who were proved right, even though post-humously.

That looks like a lot of CGI text to me? Also if were all dead, where would you shitpost everyday? Like it or not, you and the FES have a symbiotic relationship.

That looks like a lot of CGI text to me? Also if were all dead, where would you shitpost everyday? Like it or not, you and the FES have a symbiotic relationship.
The difference between your posts and his are he provides actual substance, where you only provide your opinion. If you don't like it so much, why not just move on and go elsewhere?  Saying everything is CGI is classified as "shitposting" as you so refer.
Weak.

Me!

No.

Sorry. You're wrong.
Post pics of your trip to the Antarctic.
Can't? I guess that's because the Antarctic doesn't exist and you are just a government paid shill as well.

I could, but why bother? Since you've already decided, without evidence, that they aren't possible, any pictures I posted you could just claim, without evidence, are fake.

Deceiver! Conman! LIAR~!

Nope. See what I mean, though.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Here's a travel company, amusingly named, that will show you the Antarctic sights

https://www.quarkexpeditions.com/gb/antarctic/expeditions/antarctic-explorer-discovering-the-7th-continent

Without even entering​ the alleged Antarctic circle!
(Industry standard, in fairness to this purveyor of deciet)

As i said earlier in this thread, a model to be in future repeated by the (necessitated) equally bogus outer space travel nonsense industry.

Here's a travel company, amusingly named, that will show you the Antarctic sights

https://www.quarkexpeditions.com/gb/antarctic/expeditions/antarctic-explorer-discovering-the-7th-continent

From the linked travel site:

Not all of Antarctica is inside the Antarctic circle. Why is this even an issue?

(Industry standard, in fairness to this purveyor of deciet [sic])

Yes, tours that operate inside the Antarctic circle have more regulations than those that remain outside. No deceit involved; the Antarctic Peninsula is part of the Antarctic continent, it extends outside the Antarctic circle, and is much closer to ports in South America than any other part of Antarctica is to populated areas, so it's less trouble to get to for both regulatory and logistical reasons.

As i said earlier in this thread, a model to be in future repeated by the (necessitated) equally bogus outer space travel nonsense industry.

::) Much of what you say is bogus nonsense. Nothing new in your post.

Precisely equal numbers of people have visited both environments, and for the same, very good, reason.

Can you guess? (It's not the cold!)

Actually if you care to check, not only can you spend a season in antarctica, but you can do it for free! Science organizations will pay for your trip if you volunteer to go. Hundreds of people go every year http://www.coolantarctica.com/Community/find_a_job_in_antarctica.php

You should really research things.

You seem to be acknowledging the existence of the antarctic circle. You should probably do a season at a research station!

Me!
No.

Tens of thousands. I name you liar. And fool.

When it comes to fools and lies you are truly the master lying fool.
Peel away your constant bluff and bluster and theres not much left. Your feeble arguments consist of no more than constant denials wrapped in insults which are topped off with a liberal helping of ignorance.

You seem to be acknowledging the existence of the antarctic circle. You should probably do a season at a research station!

You seem to be ignorant of the meaning of the word allayed.

Edit: I meant alleged, obviously.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:55:05 AM by Antirockballtheorist »

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam

I don't think you  are a real flat earther,   I think you are controlled opposition.  The simple facts are that you never actually make any arguments beyond just obvious trolling and saying stupid things. 

On the other hand,  I suppose you make some of the genuine flat earhers look good by comparison,  so you aren't a complete waste of space.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

I don't think you  are a real flat earther,   I think you are controlled opposition.  The simple facts are that you never actually make any arguments beyond just obvious trolling and saying stupid things. 

On the other hand,  I suppose you make some of the genuine flat earhers look good by comparison,  so you aren't a complete waste of space.

I do not claim to be whatever a flat earther is. As my monicker might suggest, I am an ex spherical earth believer, now no longer.
Why leap into another half-baked theoretical and unprovable model and it's dogmatic principles?
It's ok not to know, it's infinitely preferable to being wrong, so far as I'm concerned.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
The simple facts are that you never actually make any arguments beyond just obvious trolling and saying stupid things. 

I'm nearly drowning in irony, it's a struggle to keep my head above the irony level.

Quit it with the personal attacks, it's just unpleasant.
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
The simple facts are that you never actually make any arguments beyond just obvious trolling and saying stupid things. 

I'm nearly drowning in irony, it's a struggle to keep my head above the irony level.

Are you off your medication again?   

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
I do not claim to be whatever a flat earther is. As my monicker might suggest, I am an ex spherical earth believer, now no longer.
Why leap into another half-baked theoretical and unprovable model and it's dogmatic principles?
It's ok not to know, it's infinitely preferable to being wrong, so far as I'm concerned.

I can help dispell some of your confusion,   a "flat earther" is someone who thinks the earth is actually flat.    --  Seems obvious I would have thought.

"I am an ex spherical earth believer, now no longer."     That sentence doesn't quite make sense, so I'm guessing English is not your first language.   But assuming you are trying to say the earth is not spherical,  I assume you haven't decided what shape it should be?   Any favourite arguments as to why you think it's not a sphere?

"Why leap into another half-baked theoretical and unprovable model and it's dogmatic principles?"    Indeed.

You disgust me Rayzor.

I'm not quite sure how you look in a mirror but that is your business alone.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

I can help dispell some of your confusion,   a "flat earther" is someone who thinks the earth is actually flat.    --  Seems obvious I would have thought.

"I am an ex spherical earth believer, now no longer."     That sentence doesn't quite make sense, so I'm guessing English is not your first language.   But assuming you are trying to say the earth is not spherical,  I assume you haven't decided what shape it should be?   Any favourite arguments as to why you think it's not a sphere?

"Why leap into another half-baked theoretical and unprovable model and it's dogmatic principles?"    Indeed.

Maybe complexities of language are outside of your sphere of comprehension.
Said sphere would appear to be tiny.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam

Maybe complexities of language are outside of your sphere of comprehension.
Said sphere would appear to be tiny.

So being no longer an ex-spherical earth believer means exactly what, in your peculiar version of english?

The way native english speakers would interpret that sentence is that you actually think the earth is spherical.   

Of course,  since nothing else you say makes sense, I shouldn't be surprised that your analogies don't work either.  "Tiny sphere"?   FFS