climate change

• 39 Replies

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: climate change
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 06:03:23 AM »
So your saying that the billions of trees lost, the destruction of rainforests has had no effect on climate? Locally or globally? You're none too bright.

And one of the main effects of their loss on climate is that they are not there anymore to breathe in the CO2 that we blow into the air.

Reforestation is one of the most important means to fight GW, but even if we would cover the whole earth with forest again, it would not be enough. We just can't use fossil fuel anymore, no kidding.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 07:49:50 PM »
So why are the people such as Al Gore  telling the rest of the world that we cant use fossil fuels and to lower our carbon footprint, the biggest users of them? It deflates the entire argument and makes him look nothing more than a conman.

I would sooner trust that email I got from some Nigerian lawyer telling me some rich prince left me billions of dollars than I would Al Gore

I agree we need to reduce fossil fuels if only for our own health. Unfortunately the issue of logging has all but disappeared in favour of fossil fuel reduction. How many decades has technology been around to enable us to drive cars on things like water, hydrogen or electricity? The same governments telling us to reduce our fossil fuel usage is the same one that has made sure these technologies have been mostly sitting on a shelf. There is too much money in utilising finite resources. Until all possible money is extracted from that, nothing will change. We have some electric cars now but the prices are unobtainable for most. If governments sponsored their production that could go a long way to making them mainstream. I think of America shaved a few billion from their 560+ billion dollars in Defence each year, it could happen.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
Al Gore is irrelevant to me, I'm not an American. We have known, that CO2 emissions is going to lead to climate change for 100 years (although initially it was not yet clear, that this is dangerous)

Yes, shifting economy to renewable energy is not enough, transportation is also a huge problem as is agriculture , especially because of ruminants and deforestation.

And right, we had decades to address all these problems, but governments did not care, and they still address only parts of the issues.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
What do you think about high rise agriculture like you read about in Popular Science etc?

Also growing algae as an energy source?

“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Did not know about both untill you told me. :D

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
I don't know if those ideas are practical or effective but I am fascinated by the possibilities. In the high rise farming the harvesting is done by overhead machines on tracks. The water is collected at the top and works its way down through all the levels. The waste is composted and used as fertilizer. I think it would be really neat to build one and see if it really worked.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
https://news.vice.com/story/the-atmosphere-now-contains-more-carbon-dioxide-than-in-all-of-human-history

We are at 410 ppm. From 280 in the 19th century. Is there really anybody so dim that he does not know what that means?

That's how it looks like:

This increase is exponential, not linear. That means it will grow faster and faster. And so does global temperature. The chances that we can stop that are getting smallr every year.

Something like this maybe never happened in the history of the planet. The ecosystem relies on stability, the effects produced by such a radical, abrupt change are just unimaginable.

Some people think being cynical is cool, ok, fuck you. I may be dead or 80 years when the famine actually starts, but I would like mankind to survive this damned century.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »
https://news.vice.com/story/the-atmosphere-now-contains-more-carbon-dioxide-than-in-all-of-human-history

We are at 410 ppm. From 280 in the 19th century. Is there really anybody so dim that he does not know what that means?

This increase is exponential, not linear. That means it will grow faster and faster. And so does global temperature. The chances that we can stop that are getting smallr every year.

Something like this maybe never happened in the history of the planet. The ecosystem relies on stability, the effects produced by such a radical, abrupt change are just unimaginable.

Some people think being cynical is cool, ok, fuck you. I may be dead or 80 years when the famine actually starts, but I would like mankind to survive this damned century.

I wonder what the result would be if there were a 100 billion trees extra that would have otherwise captured some of that carbon.... I guess we have a huge ocean we can depend on to capture it now. It's not like we 'need' beautiful coral reefs or anything :( :'(

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »

I wonder what the result would be if there were a 100 billion trees extra that would have otherwise captured some of that carbon.... I guess we have a huge ocean we can depend on to capture it now. It's not like we 'need' beautiful coral reefs or anything :( :'(

You know, that forests also produce carbon, when the plant material decays. That's the carbon cycle. I guess that they absorb more than they produce (otherwise Co2 produced by animals would have increased the CO2 level long ago), but I have seen a calculation, that earth's surface is not big enough for the trees that are needed to absorb the CO2 amount that we currently emit.

The ocean absorbs a lot, but that leads to a decrease of its pH. That has a devastating effect on shell building organisms, including plancton, on which the whole ocean life depends. Also, the ocean warms faster than the atmosphere, and warmer water is lower in oxygen. So it's not only the coral reefs, it's the entire ocean life going to break down.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
I agree with you, I think the people are fed up with smug politicians with their 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude. And then to top it off, doing what they say is impossible because they continue to stifle the innovation and development of renewable energy in favour of rich corporations.

For some people, it is 'illegal' to live 'off the grid'
http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/06/court-rules-living-off-the-grid-is-illegal

Know your place