Trump's Military Spending Proposals - Bluff or Real?

• 19 Replies
Trump's Military Spending Proposals - Bluff or Real?
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
I have just read the following article on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39123281

An excerpt follows:

Republicans are lining up against President Donald Trump's proposed budget cuts to the State Department, hours before his address to Congress.
Mr Trump's 2018 budget blueprint reportedly includes a 37% spending cut for the State Department and US Agency for International Development (USAID).
He will set out to convince Congress of his proposal in his first address to a joint session on Tuesday night.

But Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said his plan was "dead on arrival".

"It's not going to happen. It would be a disaster. If you take soft power off the table then you're never going to win the war," Senator Graham said.

Soft power is an American term that refers to diplomatic tools such as foreign aid and humanitarian relief.
"What's most disturbing about the cut to the State Department's budget is it shows a lack of understanding of what it takes to win the war," Senator Graham continued.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell also said Mr Trump's reported deep cuts to the State Department would "probably not" pass Congress.
The Republican-controlled Congress must approve any federal spending.

To the White House, foreign aid might seem like an easy target for cuts, but those who protect the country think otherwise.
In their letter to lawmakers more than 120 former military officers quoted the Defence Secretary, James Mattis, from his days as a field commander: "If you don't fully fund the State Department then I need to buy more ammunition."

They argued that strengthening diplomacy and development were critical to preventing conflict. International assistance in the State Department budget does more than respond to humanitarian needs, it also supports policy goals.
For example, it supplements the military fight against the so-called Islamic State through programmes to disrupt the group's financing and recruitment, and to stabilise communities where IS has been driven out.

There's money to address the underlying causes of migration from Central America, and to strengthen allies such as Afghanistan and Ukraine.
The former Secretary of State John Kerry was known to make a strong case for increasing the department's financing, (which at $50bn makes up just 1% of the entire budget).
The new Secretary, Rex Tillerson, will have to fight simply to keep what he has, or the State Department will be marginalised in an administration focused on the military.

My question:

Does President Trump really want to cut other budgets to bolster the US military, or has he introduced this preposterous budget, knowing he will be defeated, so that he can have the opportunity to back down and say "Hey, I am a reasonable guy.  I hear you and have listened".

Is it a real budget or a fake budget?

Discuss.

Val

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
Re: Trump's Military Spending Proposals - Bluff or Real?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
I can see why you would think.  Trump does a lot of things that people think are misdirection or subtle bargaining techniques but after watching how he operates for the past few months he's really not that complicated a person.  The budget is most likely real.  If the budget doesn't make a lot of sense it's probably because Trump is aggressively ignorant on matters of state.  He seems to think we're still fighting in WW2.

Another thing you have to factor in is that Trump doesn't actually come up with a lot of this stuff.  Bannon, among others write a lot of these.  So a better question might be, Does Bannon really want to cut these other budgets?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
Still 100% better than Australian politics.

Seems we just cut spending from schools hospitals community and vulnerable people when things get tight.
BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:40:38 AM »
It's not really a budget at all.  It's more of a budget wish list.  Congress is actually responsible for putting together the real budget.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
Pentagon looking to rent space at Trump Tower

Published February 08, 2017  Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/08/pentagon-looking-to-rent-space-at-trump-tower.html

An interest exchange?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
It's not really a budget at all.  It's more of a budget wish list.  Congress is actually responsible for putting together the real budget.

It comes down to does he approve or veto.
If it's close to his vision it gets approved, if not, I'm sure he will veto.

That's what has people scared.

I don't see him settling for 50/50, he wants 90/10, he'll probably settle for 70/30.

That's what a real executive does. As in Executive Branch of government.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Pentagon looking to rent space at Trump Tower

Published February 08, 2017  Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/08/pentagon-looking-to-rent-space-at-trump-tower.html

An interest exchange?

No.

It is customary for the military to obtain space near a president's residence.

The Secret Service also must have space nearby and, when needed,
have rented from the person they are assigned to protect.
The agency rented space on former Vice President Joe Biden's home in Delaware,
though that cost far less than what would be expected for space in Trump Tower.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
Trump should give them a discount. Srsly.

People were constantly crying about how much Obama cost the taxpayers every time he went anywhere. These same people aren't saying much about Trump's expenses   
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
The amount of money he's spending on travel costs isn't good I guess.  It's just that there are so many other worrisome things about Trump that a bloated travel budget is the least of my worries.

The Secret Service also must have space nearby and, when needed,
have rented from the person they are assigned to protect.
The agency rented space on former Vice President Joe Biden's home in Delaware,
though that cost far less than what would be expected for space in Trump Tower.

It just now occurred to me that our president lives in a tower with his name on it.  Something about that seems so surreal and nobody says anything about it.  What if Obama lived in a decommissioned nuclear missile silo with a sign that said "Obama" on it and not even Fox News said anything about it?  There's nothing wrong with it I guess.  That's kind of what I'm feeling right now.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »

People were constantly crying about how much Obama cost the taxpayers every time he went anywhere. These same people aren't saying much about Trump's expenses

The bummer deal is, if he gave them a discount, it would be called a conflict of interest.
Can't win.   ;)

And, if I were President, Air Force One would never be on the ground for more than 24 hours a week. I would go everywhere for no reason.
Obama or whoever, it's a freakin' perk.   ;D

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »

It just now occurred to me that our president lives in a tower with his name on it.

I have my name on the mail box. Same thing, right?    ;)

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »

It just now occurred to me that our president lives in a tower with his name on it.

*starts scouring Google Earth Street View for a mailbox with Bullwinkle written on it*

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »

*starts scouring Google Earth Street View for a mailbox with Bullwinkle written on it*

Hahahaha, I use a fake name in real life to avoid the paparazzi.   ;D

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »

The bummer deal is, if he gave them a discount, it would be called a conflict of interest.
Can't win.   ;)

If he rented them space at cost, how would that be a conflict of interest? 

And, if I were President, Air Force One would never be on the ground for more than 24 hours a week. I would go everywhere for no reason.
Obama or whoever, it's a freakin' perk.   ;D

You are a swamp that needs draining.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
Should we be paying for the secret service to protect his offspring while they are in other countries making business deals?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »

Oh, ask CNN, MSNBC, NYP, etc.

You are a swamp that needs draining.

Can't disagree with that.   ;)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
Should we be paying for the secret service to protect his offspring while they are in other countries making business deals?

Hmmmm, that's a tough one. 

- - - - - - - - - -

Thought about it for a couple of minutes.
Still no answer.

Great question.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

Can't win.   ;)

Actually, he was supposed to avoid any conflict of interest by putting all of his business interests into a blind trust.  Having his kids run the business isn't a blind trust.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »

Can't win.   ;)

Actually, he was supposed to avoid any conflict of interest by putting all of his business interests into a blind trust.  Having his kids run the business isn't a blind trust.

I don't think that's actually a law.
I could be wrong.

Crap, now I have to go google.   :P

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »

Can't win.   ;)

I don't think that's actually a law.
I could be wrong.

Crap, now I have to go google.   :P
If not a law, at least an ethical guideline.