Source Criticism's day

• 8 Replies
?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
Source Criticism's day
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
Happy Source Criticism's day! One of our biggest newspapers/online newspapers here in Sweden, Metro, just declared this day to be the Source Criticism's day, to promote source criticism and to teach people how source criticism works, how to spot fake news and scams and how to approach stories spread via social media. 3 years ago they started the viralgranskaren (viral inspector), a small branch of Metro which researches and reports on viral stories spread over the internet and teaches people how to do it themselves. This branch has grown and it's thanks to their work that this day was declared as Source Criticism's day.

I think it's a great initiative, it'll hopefully help to stem the flow of fake news and other stories, and encourage people do at least a bit of research before trusting something, especially if it's something sensational or something which is controversial and emotionally charged. It can also help people who don't know how to do source criticism on the internet, or what tools are available.

While there are a lot of bashing on mainstream media, and righteously so, I really am amazed by Metro who, as far as I can tell, are as objective as they can be when reporting news, but also encourage people to do some basic source criticism. They are paid by ads so that they can be free of charge both in paper form and on the internet, but firstly it's by so many different companies that one of them won't be able to change their content by bribery and secondly they separate their content from the ads very clearly. They also refrain from using "clickbait" titles, but instead they have built a good reputation of being reliable and honest to ensure that they can keep going. I really think other news could learn from them.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
Re: Source Criticism's day
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.  Maybe not a great name though, thought it was a software thing at first glance.

I was listening to the Dave Ramsey podcast a while back.  At some point he was talking about the counsel he gives to people that have gotten rich fast, professional athletes, lottery winners etc.  Among other things he said that you can't trust anyone to just sort of handle your money.  You should only take advice from an investment professional.  It's your responsibility to judge the advice and then act on it.

I think this is an attitude that should apply to how we take in the news.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.  Maybe not a great name though, thought it was a software thing at first glance.

I was listening to the Dave Ramsey podcast a while back.  At some point he was talking about the counsel he gives to people that have gotten rich fast, professional athletes, lottery winners etc.  Among other things he said that you can't trust anyone to just sort of handle your money.  You should only take advice from an investment professional.  It's your responsibility to judge the advice and then act on it.

I think this is an attitude that should apply to how we take in the news.
Yes. News companies don't exist to tell you what is right or wrong. They exist to spread news stories, and it's up to the receiver to evaluate wether it's good, bad or even trustworthy news stories.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »
Incredibly based.
BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:05:05 PM »
Yes. News companies don't exist to tell you what is right or wrong. They exist to spread news stories, and it's up to the receiver to evaluate wether it's good, bad or even trustworthy news stories.
"News companies don't exist to tell you what is right or wrong." They exist to make their shareholders money.

Supermarkets don't exist to tell you what is right or wrong food to eat. They exist to make their shareholders money.

Banks don't exist to tell you what is best housing loan or credit card. They exist to make their shareholders money.

And the sooner people realise all these things the better.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
"News companies don't exist to tell you what is right or wrong." They exist to make their shareholders money.

Supermarkets don't exist to tell you what is right or wrong food to eat. They exist to make their shareholders money.

Banks don't exist to tell you what is best housing loan or credit card. They exist to make their shareholders money.

Exactly!
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »

News reporting today is all geared toward making money and manipulating the opinions of the consumers. Who's controlling the media? The rich and powerful. According to most journalistic codes the purpose of journalism is to inform the people - not manipulate them.

Here is the preamble to SPJ's code of ethics

Preamble

Members of the Society of Professional Journalists believe that public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. Ethical journalism strives to ensure the free exchange of information that is accurate, fair and thorough. An ethical journalist acts with integrity.

The behavior of mainstream media today flies right in the face of this code. The system is broken!
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:32:15 AM »
Well, that too. I was focusing more on what type of service they (should) provide. If the media is telling you what is right or wrong, or even drawing conclusions for you in their own news and reporting that as news, then they are just trying to influence the reader and/or bait for more viewers. Same with yellow journalism.

But I will say that this seems to be a much larger problem in the US and some other countries. The news you'll find in DN (our largest morning newspaper, which calls themselves "unbound liberal", (european definition of liberal) so mostly middle but slightly right-wing-ish by swedish standards.) are mostly just about the same as most of the ones you'll find in Aftonbladet (our largest evening newspaper, calls themselves "unbound socialdemocratic", so left-wing). The only real differences will be the content of the editorial, the tone they set for the same news, and what news they choose to report on when they aren't choosing the same.

I can confidently say that the mainstream media here in Sweden mostly follows the ethics of journalism, not always though, and Metro are trying to make ethics great again right now. The bigger problem is actually smaller newspapers that spread fake news and get attention via social media, hence Metro's initiative for source criticism.

When in doubt; sources!

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 04:14:40 AM »

This is legitimately my favourite post of yours.

>Rab shows his power level

>Turns out it's steadily approaching 9000

Fantastic man, I passionately agree.
BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160