Survey on FE/RE Belief

• 42 Replies

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
Survey on FE/RE Belief
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
I've seen a couple of surveys, and I'm always curious about the results, so I made my own. It's anonymous, hopefully non-biased, and is intended to measure both what you believe and how important that belief is. Open to REers as well as FEers.
The intent is to measure belief by juxtaposing with other facts about a person. It might be able to gauge motivation or correlations among people who lean one way or the other, but more interesting to me is the degree of belief and how that could correlate.

It shouldn't take too long.

https://goo.gl/forms/dXGsrfNR2n3oKd3o2

Thank you to anyone who fills it out.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

Re: Survey on FE/RE Belief
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
I've seen a couple of surveys, and I'm always curious about the results, so I made my own. It's anonymous, hopefully non-biased, and is intended to measure both what you believe and how important that belief is. Open to REers as well as FEers.
The intent is to measure belief by juxtaposing with other facts about a person. It might be able to gauge motivation or correlations among people who lean one way or the other, but more interesting to me is the degree of belief and how that could correlate.

It shouldn't take too long.

https://goo.gl/forms/dXGsrfNR2n3oKd3o2

Thank you to anyone who fills it out.
Done.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »
Done. Not sure what your ideas are with this data, but I'm certainly curious.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
Done.

Hope you get a large enough sample size to do something with.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
I answered the survey.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »
Done.  I did find some of the sub-questions a bit repetitive but answered them as uniquely to the main question as I could.
The world is a sphere, but I don't hold that against it.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
Thank you to those that have answered so far.

Apologies for the repetition, but to compare various beliefs it was required.

I doubt the end result will be anything journal-worthy, the sample size from this site was never going to be huge. Correlations are starting to come out (some obvious, some that surprised me), but it's nothing solid, and probably won't be anything rigorous, but it's interesting nonetheless. I've made a few notes, but I'll give the survey a couple more days before posting anything.
I want to close the survey before I post the results, to avoid it being tainted.
Still open though, for few days.

Currently 12 people have responded. Not too much, but it's something.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
A voluntary poll will always be 'off' a bit.

Results will be interesting and fun.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Eighteen respondents currently. I've made a few notes, both general results, and starting to note down some potential correlations. Not every question was meaningful in the end, mind you.
I'm considering having two sets of conclusions; one from the raw results, and one with a few caveats. There are always issues with poorly worded questions, or people who didn't understand questions, or people who wanted to cast a point of view in a good/bad light, which would normally be ironed out in a large scale survey by sheer weight of other respondents, and people doing the opposite, but that's not so feasible here. Intervening obviously could make the results unreliable, hence why I'll give the straightforward set first, and I'll list anything I do with the other. Will see how much of a difference that makes though.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
Ok, here's what I've got.
Four FEers responded. I'll post the interesting results, though it's not much to draw a conclusion on.
Seventeen REers responded, so a bit more analysis is possible there.
One hollow earther responded, so I can't do much with that, though I can include them in an alternative-earther group, along with FEers.

As far as terminology goes, REer is one who believes the model of a globe Earth, AEer is one who does not, a FEer specifically believes in a flat Earth model of some description.
One who is marked as non-religious is either an atheist, or responded to 'other' with a non-theistic title, not believing in a God or holy book.

The questions asked someone's view of the Earth, their political stance, their religion, and their view on conspiracy theories. It then asked their opinion of those that disagreed, and how much of their views of the Earth shape they developed and verified.
In the next section they were asked about what was most important to them, ranking political views, religion, scientific views, conspiracy views, and employment. They then said which of their views they doubted, and which they sometimes lost their temper when discussion.

General Demographics
Not all percentages match up, as not everyone answered all questions. Potential trolls are included in the data.

As said, 17/22 respondents are REers, 4/22 FEers, 5/22 AEers.
90.9% believed in an old Earth, leaving 9.1% who believed in a young Earth.
The spread of political viewpoints was diverse. 2 identified themselves as far left, 1 as far right, and as there wasn't much under those labels we'll simplify to a three-point scale of left/right/center. 36.4% identified as left, 36.4% as center. 27.2% as right.
On religion, 4 identified as some denomination of Christianity, 1 as a Pagan, leaving 17 who were non-religious.
Of those that answered, 5 believe in a conspiracy of some kind beyond just FET, 6 could not give a firm answer, 8 firmly reject them.

When it comes to degree of belief, a person's scientific views were overwhelmingly more likely to be either the first or second most important thing to them on the list, in first place 50% of the time, and in second place 42.1% of the time. Religion occurred in first place 20% of the time, political views 15%, employment 10% of the time, and conspiracy related views just once at 5%.
Over to second place, religion appears substantially less at just 5.3%, while employment (26.3%) and political views (21.1%) are a more notable second to scientific views. Conspiracy views again appeared with just one person, at 5.3%.
In third place, we have a much more open spread. Scientific views appear 10% of the time, political views 35%, employment 30%, conspiracy 20%, religion 5% with again one respondent.
Fourth most important, of the five options, religion makes a return with the largest single section at 36.8%. Conspiracy views are at 31.6%. Employment is at 15.8%, scientific views at 10.5%, and political views at just 5.3%.

When it comes to doubting the Earth's shape, religious views, scientific views, and conspiracy views, we have a fair bit of variation.
A grand 72.7% of people say they never or almost never doubt the Earth's shape. 22.6% doubt it sometimes, one person at 4.5% doubts often.
63.6% never or almost never doubt their religious position, 31.8% doubt sometimes, with another one person at 4.5% doubting often.
Interestingly, just 27.3% say they never or almost never doubt their political views, 63.6% doubt their political views sometimes, 9.1% often.
Then 27.3% doubt their position on conspiracy theories never or almost never, 54.5% doubt it often, while 18.2% felt the question did not apply to them.

4.5% of people regularly lost their temper when discussing scientific theories, 9.1% did so often, 59.1% do so rarely, while 27.3% say they never do.
4.5% lose their temper often when discussing religion, 45.5% do so rarely, 50% never do.
13.6% lose their temper often when discussing politics, 63.6% do so rarely, 22.7% never do.
On the topic of conspiracy theories, 9.1% lose their temper often, 45.5% rarely, 45.5% never.

These are the raw facts. There are some obvious things to point out, such as the fact people are more likely to lose their temper if the subject is more important to them. People are angriest discussing politics and scientific matters, such as the Earth's shape, and value their scientific views overwhelmingly.
This roughly describes the respondents to the survey. I've got some more detailed analysis spotting correlations which I'll try to find time to write up properly later, but in the mean time let me know if there is any correlation in particular you want me to look for.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
I didn't answer the first two of the 'which is most important to you' questions.
Nothing in the list was first or second most important to me.
It wasn't until the third 'most important' that I had an answer.

You can move the answer up to first if it will help your analysis.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Wow this is a delayed response. Anyway, correlations!

Round Earthers
64.7% would want to change everyone else's minds. 29.4% say they would. The rest gave no answer.
76.5% of REers are non-theistic, 17.6% Christian, and one Pagan.
There is an even split politically, with approximately a third each identifying as center, left and right.
47% do not believe in any kind of a conspiracy. 35% believe some are possible. 11.8% confirm that they believe in at least one. The rest gave no answer.
Of those that gave an answer, 93.3% placed their scientific views as especially important.
Just 23.5% consider that they might wrong about the shape of the Earth. 58.8% consider that they might be wrong about other mentioned issues, but not the shape of the Earth.
11.8% claim to have developed all of what they believe about the Earth's shape. 29% developed a majority, and 23.5% verified more than they developed. 11.8% developed a minority, the rest developed none.

Flat Earthers
0% would want to change everyone else's minds. 100% would not.
75% of FEers are non-theistic, 25% Christian.
Politically, 50% are central, 50% left. 
50% do not believe in any kind of a conspiracy. 50% confirm that they believe in at least one.
Of those that gave an answer, 75% placed their scientific views as especially important. As with REers, this is all but one.
50% consider that they might wrong about the shape of the Earth. The other 50% never doubt the mentioned topics.
Just one developed all of the model they hold to. 75% developed a minority.

Comparisons

There is no correlation between political viewpoints, and view of FET. There is a universal even split.

To specifically examine the religious respondents:
The one Christian FEer values science more than their religion (second and fourth out of five places respectively).
All three religious REers value their religion more than science, with religion taking the first place, and science being second in two instances, and fourth in the third.

When asked what makes someone potentially doubt the Earth's shape, given a choice between new information, self-reflection, and other:
Flat Earthers only answered with new information.
Round Earthers had an even split over all three options.

And finally, when asked about their opinions on the other side:
FEers say: believe what they've been taught, deceived from childhood.
REers say: uneducated, interesting, don't understand geometry, depressing, trolls, going against mainstream for the sake of it, dumb, closed-minded.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »
I need a graph.   :P

64.7% would want to change everyone else's minds.

I thought that would be higher.   ;)

Interesting, thanks.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
Wow this is a delayed response. Anyway, correlations!

Round Earthers
64.7% would want to change everyone else's minds. 29.4% say they would. The rest gave no answer.
76.5% of REers are non-theistic, 17.6% Christian, and one Pagan.
There is an even split politically, with approximately a third each identifying as center, left and right.
47% do not believe in any kind of a conspiracy. 35% believe some are possible. 11.8% confirm that they believe in at least one. The rest gave no answer.
Of those that gave an answer, 93.3% placed their scientific views as especially important.
Just 23.5% consider that they might wrong about the shape of the Earth. 58.8% consider that they might be wrong about other mentioned issues, but not the shape of the Earth.
11.8% claim to have developed all of what they believe about the Earth's shape. 29% developed a majority, and 23.5% verified more than they developed. 11.8% developed a minority, the rest developed none.

Flat Earthers
0% would want to change everyone else's minds. 100% would not.
75% of FEers are non-theistic, 25% Christian.
Politically, 50% are central, 50% left. 
50% do not believe in any kind of a conspiracy. 50% confirm that they believe in at least one.
Of those that gave an answer, 75% placed their scientific views as especially important. As with REers, this is all but one.
50% consider that they might wrong about the shape of the Earth. The other 50% never doubt the mentioned topics.
Just one developed all of the model they hold to. 75% developed a minority.

Comparisons

There is no correlation between political viewpoints, and view of FET. There is a universal even split.

To specifically examine the religious respondents:
The one Christian FEer values science more than their religion (second and fourth out of five places respectively).
All three religious REers value their religion more than science, with religion taking the first place, and science being second in two instances, and fourth in the third.

When asked what makes someone potentially doubt the Earth's shape, given a choice between new information, self-reflection, and other:
Flat Earthers only answered with new information.
Round Earthers had an even split over all three options.

And finally, when asked about their opinions on the other side:
FEers say: believe what they've been taught, deceived from childhood.
REers say: uneducated, interesting, don't understand geometry, depressing, trolls, going against mainstream for the sake of it, dumb, closed-minded.

If fi fo fum....I smell a rat.
Now I'm not sure how many people on this site studied statistics and data analysis. One of the crucial things in any study is sample size. JRowe gives no indication as to the number of respondents, also my main question is can he be trusted, as he does have a rather flaky history.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »

JRowe gives no indication as to the number of respondents,

Eighteen respondents currently.

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »
18!.... no conclusion about anything can be derived from that tiny numberapart from labelling it an excersise in futility. If he was serious he would go out into the world at large and collect real data, not just put up a few questions on this site. Lazy research in the extreme.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 11:34:20 PM »
Of course it's not conclusive.

But surely you can do a little internet poll for interest sake without being labelled lazy in the extreme?
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
Where did he advertise this poll? Only this forum?

Did he go ask the general public? Advertise it on social media? Or too scared it would skew the results to a round earth favour or that he would get laughed at. It seemed like it was pretty extensive and a lot of work went into interpreting the results.

18 out of 7 billion. that represents about 0.00000000257% of the worlds population. Great effort!

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »

I got the impression it was a poll for members of this site.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 04:35:40 AM »
Is it closed? May I see your survey. I want to make it too. For my country. Thanks

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »

And what's that going to prove that has any merit? The flatwits here criticise science each and every way.....then they go off and do some half arsed bullshit and make claims that such and such believed this and such and such believed that.

Well in my survey that I carried out it proved conclusively that 110% of all flatearthers were total fuckwits devoid of any meaningful intelligence.....and it also proved the world ain't flat.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »

Well in my survey that I carried out it proved conclusively that 110% of all flatearthers were total fuckwits devoid of any meaningful intelligence.....and it also proved the world ain't flat.

Well, good for you?    

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »

And what's that going to prove that has any merit? The flatwits here criticise science each and every way.....then they go off and do some half arsed bullshit and make claims that such and such believed this and such and such believed that.

Overcompensation and deflection...

Just like the guy with the small penis says everyone else's is small and his isn't, the dumb guy says everyone else is dumb and he is smart etc etc etc... Your posts are getting more and more embarrassing, and quite honestly I thought you had peaked. Impressive in a way no one wants.

shitter Quit shitting all over everything. He said the sample size was going to be small. With the way he posted the results, I highly doubt he had any agenda with this. Probably just curiosity... Now go to the bathroom instead of stinking it up in here
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »
ahem, my curiosity stemmed from the fact that in his opening post, it was quite ominious as to who the audience of this poll was

If it was for members of this forum, then it should have been stated

The way it was written, it looked as if he was conducting research and quite possibly, not only open to those on this forum.

Obviously if this was open to outside of this forum, the biases of the result would change drastically.

I have no problem with this poll or the fact the sample size is always going to be small. But like most things that rely on data, the reader should be able to know where that data was not only sourced, but where it was open to.

He could have opened the post with 'a poll for the people of this flat earth forum'. Would have made the final data much more reasonable to look at

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »

I have no problem with this poll or the fact the sample size is always going to be small. But . . . . .

But, you're going to bitch and moan about it anyway.   ::)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »

And you are going to pull quotes and chop them out of context anyway. Obvious shit debating skills are obviously shit   ::)

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »

And you are going to pull quotes and chop them out of context anyway. Obvious shit debating skills are obviously shit   ::)

People already read your post. You aren't being cheated out of your stature.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 01:50:03 PM »
Have to be amused by lonegranger's backtracking, from "JRowe never said the sample size," to "Well he did but it wasn't much."
I left the survey open until people stopped responding and it was getting pushed off page one to where people wouldn't see it. I wasn't interested in bumping endlessly. Sure, it's nothing dramatic, but you can find a few interesting tidbits. Constantly even splits on certain topics, for example; some can be put down to coincidence, but that many suggests a pattern. Equally, overwhelming differences in opinion are interesting.
It's not proof of anything, just the product of a bit of curiosity. Back when I made this thread there were a lot of surveys like this being posted, and no one ever saw the results. Figured I'd try my hand.

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
Have to be amused by lonegranger's backtracking, from "JRowe never said the sample size," to "Well he did but it wasn't much."
I left the survey open until people stopped responding and it was getting pushed off page one to where people wouldn't see it. I wasn't interested in bumping endlessly. Sure, it's nothing dramatic, but you can find a few interesting tidbits. Constantly even splits on certain topics, for example; some can be put down to coincidence, but that many suggests a pattern. Equally, overwhelming differences in opinion are interesting.
It's not proof of anything, just the product of a bit of curiosity. Back when I made this thread there were a lot of surveys like this being posted, and no one ever saw the results. Figured I'd try my hand.

Trying to convince yourself....again?

Its not that it's nothing dramatic......it's just nothing.

I'd also give up with the ...... 'trying your hand'....

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »

Don't worry about him, JRowe.
Everyone who participated understood exactly what it was.

Some people aren't happy unless they're pissed off.