Alaskan Resources

• 5 Replies
?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
Alaskan Resources
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
I'm spending the week with the family visiting Russian villages in the southern Kenai peninsula near Homer, but I'll be spending tonight (1st of June) and all day tomorrow in Anchorage.

Since Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska and a likely pool of informational resources, I wondered if perhaps anyone knew of museum exhibits, bookstores, or other information resources in town related to geography, astronomy, or the Arctic, et cetera.

I have not yet researched this aspect of the trip aside from planning to stop by Anchorage's Log Cabin Visitor's Centre and Information Bureau for guidance.

I can say I've perceived that a lot of the arctic travel stuff is based out of Fairbanks. I'm devoting tomorrow to information gathering for my own knowledge and possible future trips to the Arctic and viewing Aurora Borealis.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Alaskan Resources
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
I determined that what I'm seeking is the Museum of the North located in Fairbanks, associated with the University of Alaska and which will definitely figure in any future trip to see either the Aurora Borealis (in winter) or the Arctic Ocean (in summer).

Museum of the North
Fairbanks, Alaska
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/

This museum includes information and history about indigenous Alaskans which I find very welcome. Particularly interesting would be indigenous Alaskan traditions about creation, cosmos, astronomy, and the Arctic Ocean. I've been collecting a few books on this from indigenous peoples in the lower 48 states region. On that note, I'll mention a history of Alaska I picked up that's written from an indigenous perspective negatively albeit informatively viewing both its Russian past and its American occupiers as colonialists and exploiters.

'Alaska, An American Colony'
By Stephen Haycox
http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/search/books/HAYALC.html

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Nice to see someone investigate a place instead of just looking at it.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
Welcome to my neck of the woods!! Enjoy Alaska! I would give advice but I think it's too late.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »
Welcome to my neck of the woods!! Enjoy Alaska! I would give advice but I think it's too late.

Appreciate it all. My one day in Anchorage coincided with first Friday which meant admission to the Anchorage Museum (usually about $30) for free. I also stopped by the University of Alaska in Anchorage bookstore. I was pleased with the concern for and information about indigenous Alaskans at these places and purchased some resources about them at the university.

By contrast, I visited the U.S. Navy's Undersea Warfare Museum near Seattle the following day (I drove to & flew from Seattle as the round trip tickets were only $130 total), a museum devoted to submarines as I used to do that when I was in the Navy. This spirit of this museum was void and shallow compared to those with the indigenous peoples' themes. Well, the military which that museum is all about is dedicated to destroying, killing, suppressing, and exploiting peoples like that. It is a museum for colonialism which is hideous which is why it is not so informative about military history with a few rare exceptions like WWII.

I perceive that some states are better than others about these things.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »

Appreciate it all. My one day in Anchorage coincided with first Friday which meant admission to the Anchorage Museum (usually about $30) for free. I also stopped by the University of Alaska in Anchorage bookstore. I was pleased with the concern for and information about indigenous Alaskans at these places and purchased some resources about them at the university.

By contrast, I visited the U.S. Navy's Undersea Warfare Museum near Seattle the following day (I drove to & flew from Seattle as the round trip tickets were only $130 total), a museum devoted to submarines as I used to do that when I was in the Navy. This spirit of this museum was void and shallow compared to those with the indigenous peoples' themes. Well, the military which that museum is all about is dedicated to destroying, killing, suppressing, and exploiting peoples like that. It is a museum for colonialism which is hideous which is why it is not so informative about military history with a few rare exceptions like WWII.

I perceive that some states are better than others about these things.
I like your understanding! We would get along :) I hope your visit to Alaska was nice. I have not been to Homer. I really need to go sometime.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.