Question regarding the Coriolis Effect

• 17 Replies
Question regarding the Coriolis Effect
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
I have just found this video that shows that, when water is drained below the equator, in spins clockwise, while above the equator, it spins counter clockwise. The video also showed the, directly on top of the equator, the water doesn't spin at all.

VIDEO: https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedVideo/videos/2173267792814091/

So, people who believe in the Flat Earth, why does this happen? If the Earth is completely Flat, then shouldn't water not spin at all? Is there a logical explanation for this phenomenon?

Re: Question regarding the Coriolis Effect
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »
I have just found this video that shows that, when water is drained below the equator, in spins clockwise, while above the equator, it spins counter clockwise. The video also showed the, directly on top of the equator, the water doesn't spin at all.

So, people who believe in the Flat Earth, why does this happen? If the Earth is completely Flat, then shouldn't water not spin at all? Is there a logical explanation for this phenomenon?

Coriolis force affecting water draining - with rotation direction linked to hemisphere - is a myth. Google it.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
Coriolis force affecting water draining - with rotation direction linked to hemisphere - is a myth. Google it.

But you can clearly see the Coriolis Effect in the video. And even then, people who shoot guns professionally, both outside and inside the Military, have to take in account the Coriolis Effect while shooting at longer ranges.

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

For the Coriolis force to affect water draining you need a large container free from disturbances.

Notice how he pours it in and it is already spinning clockwise/counterclockwise, while for the equator it is stationary?
That is what is causing it to drain. It has nothing to do with the Coriolis effect.

?

sir_awesome123

• proud NASA shill
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »

But you can clearly see the Coriolis Effect in the video. And even then, people who shoot guns professionally, both outside and inside the Military, have to take in account the Coriolis Effect while shooting at longer ranges.

the coriolis effect doesn't determine what direction water spins, it does however effect the direction which hurricanes spin; look it up.
"hey what are you doing?"
"nothing, just arguing with this dude, he thinks the earth is flat"
"no really, what are you doing?"

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »

Oh please, drains drain both left and right on both sides of the equator. Come on, do you spherical earthers have any real evidence for your spinning speeding globe?

JackBlack

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
Oh please, drains drain both left and right on both sides of the equator. Come on, do you spherical earthers have any real evidence for your spinning speeding globe?
Yes. We have provided plenty. You even provided some yourself.
Do you delusional retards have any evidence for your alleged stationary flat Earth? No.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
Yes. We have provided plenty. You even provided some yourself.
Do you delusional retards have any evidence for your alleged stationary flat Earth? No.

"Do you delusional retards..."

Sure sign of a delusional loser!

JackBlack

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »

so now do I say the same about you?

The big difference between the REers and the FEers is that the FEers have repeatedly their ass handed to them, with their claims shown to be complete crap, while FEers are unable to refute the vast majority of arguments and evidence presented in favour of a round Earth.
The REers are able to provide loads of evidence and arguments supporting a round Earth, the FEers are unable to provide any actual evidence or arguments indicating Earth is flat, all they can produce is childish crap.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »

The big difference between the REers and the FEers is that the FEers have repeatedly their ass handed to them, with their claims shown to be complete crap, while FEers are unable to refute the vast majority of arguments and evidence presented in favour of a round Earth.
The REers are able to provide loads of evidence and arguments supporting a round Earth, the FEers are unable to provide any actual evidence or arguments indicating Earth is flat, all they can produce is childish crap.

I'm not hurling nasty insults at you! I have no need to, my argument does not need to 'poison the well' of my opponent. Do you get it now?

"FEers have repeatedly their ass handed to them,"

Project much, oh yes, you do!

JackBlack

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

I'm not hurling nasty insults at you! I have no need to, my argument does not need to 'poison the well' of my opponent. Do you get it now?

"FEers have repeatedly their ass handed to them,"

Project much, oh yes, you do!
So calling me a delusional loser isn't hurling insults?

You have been implicitly insulting people right from the start, acting like they are incapable of reasoning and just dismissing their arguments as bullshit or goobly gloop or the like, without any rational justification at all.

You have no argument.

And do you notice what you are doing? Rather than focus on the actual arguments presented (or questions) you just ignore them and focus on the use of words. This shows you have no argument.

Like I said, grow up.

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »
You can direcly experience the Coriolis Effect yourself

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63831.msg1696656#msg1696656

It's just a conservation of angular momentum effect but it's great fun to feel it yourself.
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 03:15:21 PM »

I'm not disputing Coriolis force with snipers and the weather. Just that it's a myth where it supposedly effects water going down the drain. The volume of water is not great enough to be affected and the swirl is somewhat random or influenced by which tap was used. If you filled a basin and left it to settle for half hour. Then gently put hand in and lift plug, it will have almost no swirl.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

I'm not disputing Coriolis force with snipers and the weather. Just that it's a myth where it supposedly effects water going down the drain. The volume of water is not great enough to be affected and the swirl is somewhat random or influenced by which tap was used. If you filled a basin and left it to settle for half hour. Then gently put hand in and lift plug, it will have almost no swirl.

Love the "almost" no swirl

Then how do you explain hurricanes?

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »
Physical observer, the difference between a round earth supporter and a flat earth supporter is that round earth supporters will listen to mistakes that they make and care about the science and the facts. Flat earth supporters rely on excuses, insults, balloon-with-a-straw experiments, and "it looks flat to me" logic. When all else fails a flat Earther, I've seen too many just insult people or change the subject (especially changing the subject to insults).
"Science is real."
--They Might Be Giants

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »

Yes, Mr  8) Physical Non-Observer  8) the Coriolis effect. Ever heard of that?  ;D

It's not just tropical storms that rotate in opposite directions in the two hemispheres, ordinary high and low pressure weather systems do exactly the same.

The Coriolis effect is the reason for the four distinct situations that are observed for High Pressure Weather systems and Low Pressure Weather systems, including Hurricanes, Typhoons and Cyclones, in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Northern Hemisphere

Southern Hemisphere
Highs

Clockwise

Anti-clockwise
Lows

Anti-clockwise

Clockwise

Just look at weather maps that show highs, lows and wind directions to verify this for yourself,
or are you going to claim that all meteorologists are part of your conspiracy too!

We have just had Cyclone Debbie, guess the direction of rotation! It just happened to be clockwise, just like every other cyclone we have had.

Explain that with your great physical observations. I suppose you will claim  pure luck.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »

Agreed. In a tub once a rotation in either direction is started the vortex effect makes it build up.
See Angular momentum transfer in a bottle vortex.
A similar explanation applies to deep tropical lows forming into Cyclones, Typhoons and Hurricanes.
The Coriolis effect starts "the ball rolling" and the vorticily builds up the severity.

JackBlack

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 12:26:36 AM »
A better test would be to have the drain go to a tube with a simple tap in it which you can open without disturbing the water at all.