ASTROLOGY and the Flat Earth

• 110 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
ASTROLOGY and the Flat Earth
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
In their scheme to hide god and his workings from us, The Roman Catholic Church - one of the first western bodies of power to take the banner of the globular pigswash that today eager students drink up,  has also hidden from us the truth about astrology.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss why and how this plays into their plans to hide God from us, if such plans exist, and how we might move forward with this knowledge. First to accomplish this nobel goal we must take on us the argument of whether Astrology is indeed a valid view of thought, whether its enemies (science and the Catholic church) acted rationally in their acceptance of it, and finally what their motives will be.  We start here at part I:

ASTROLOGY
SCIENTIFICALLY DEMONSTRATED

The Scientific Call To War: A Manifesto For Learned Men
Feyerabend, and others, report that in the October 1975 issue of the Humanist, 186 scientists - including a generous handful of Nobel Prize winners mind you - signed a manifesto against Astrology. They talk a great many words, and proudly proclaim astrology bunk with little to no argument. More than this, they include 186 signatures; if it was not clear the argument was not given, it should be when one considers the question - 'why so many signatures if their argument could be shown?'

They are not interested in learned subjects here clearly - they act religiously. Now, mind you when I say religiously here what I, like the average globularist, actually mean is dogmatically; this is in contra-distinction to the definition I so often lean to from William James which I hold in the more general and less specific sense.

They are clearly trying to delude the mind of the common man with their position of power. Some have gone so far as to show the structure of this document was a replica of the Roman Catholic book on witchcraft. We will now destroy these myths, and publicly humiliate all those great men who signed such a ridiculous document. No, we will be kind enough not to 'name names.'

The Obvious Truth
Let us set aside now greater matters - that of the shape of the earth - and examine only those at hand. Don't worry flatists - we will come full circle and address the elephant in the room. The arguments presented will assume neither side, yet will fit the common flat earth model as well as the globular one. First we will turn to the definition presented here.

'the assumption that celestial events such as the positions of the planets, of the moon, of the sun influence human affairs'

This is the definition we will use for astrology. Here the avid Christian might laugh - there is no doubt from biblical context that these bodies indeed influence the earth. However, we march bravely on and face the fool on his own hill.

There is no doubt to the always staunt scientist that the heavenly bodies have a body of plasmas that are in a delicate balance with that of the sun. This of course is influenced by the relative placement of the planets - flat or round. For example, Bill Nye might find himself quite titillated at the thought that this interaction - and careful knowledge of the system at hand and the positions of the planets can predict solar disturbances with ridiculous clarity, in model independent mathematics. DeGrace just wouldn't know what he was looking at, but we all know what a silly man he is.

Further more, solar activity - and lunar as we know from other sources - has an almost all invasive hold on not only the basic functions of life itself, but of even chemical reactions. Though we've always known this; at least since Plato. More recently, the electric potential of trees depends not only on the activity of the sun, but on flares - which obviously tie to the position of the planets.

If you are an older fellow you might even remember the harvest moon - or not to put fish out in the dark of night. Now a days we go mad for 'super moons'.  Or heck, the interested fellow can direct himself to the nearest hospital. Here, he or she may ask the staff bluntly - 'do the crazies come out on the full moon?' This has particular effect on an actual full moon.

There is no doubt that any reasonable or reasonable led force (such as evolution) would lead us to a state that is not to appear as random chance and to appear created.

The effects of the moon are discussed in this forum at length. The effects, now, of the sun have been shown sufficiently or can be found by those interested. Or one can save their 20$ and simply use their common sense - of course the position of the sun, and thus the other planets, affect our lives.

Is there not always a chaos to the order? What of Sierpinski and his marvelous triangle? Even but a smidgen of order or evolution or holiness introduced into a chaotic system brings upon that system its own order - such that it can realize even in a pyramid of triangles in the simplest case. I digress...

There is no doubt the seasons affect our disposition. So much so, the ever growing book of psychological disorders now includes disorders for each season! The tale of astrology seems a little more likely, once we start talking about it discretely, doesn't it?

I do not have a physical copy, but it has been widely distributed. I source Feyerabend rather than others like Kurtz because I lean on some of his arguments - however the article is fairly well known and referenced in many astrological apologetics. I have reproduced it below:

Objections to Astrology

A Statement by 186 Leading Scientists

(The following statement first appeared in The Humanist of September/October 1975.)
Scientists in a variety of fields have become concerned about the increased acceptance of astrology in many parts of the world. We, the undersigned--astronomers, astrophysicists, and scientists in other fields--wish to caution the public against the unquestioning acceptance of the predictions and advice given privately and publicly by astrologers. Those who wish to believe in astrology should realize that there is no scientific foundation for its tenets.

In ancient times people believed in the predictions and advice of astrologers because astrology was part and parcel of their magical world view. They looked upon celestial objects as abodes or omens of the gods and, thus, intimately connected with events here on earth; they had no concept of the vast distances from the earth to the planets and stars. Now that these distances can and have been calculated, we can see how infinitesimally small are the gravitational and other effects produced by the distant planets and the far more distant stars. It is simply a mistake to imagine that the forces exerted by stars and planets at the moment of birth can in any way shape our futures. Neither is it true that the position of distant heavenly bodies make certain days or periods more favorable to particular kinds of action, or that the sign under which one was born determines one's compatibility or incompatibility with other people.

Why do people believe in astrology? In these uncertain times many long for the comfort of having guidance in making decisions. They would like to believe in a destiny predetermined by astral forces beyond their control. However, we must all face the world, and we must realize that our futures lie in ourselves, and not in the stars.

One would imagine, in this day of widespread enlightenment and education, that it would be unnecessary to debunk beliefs based on magic and superstition. Yet, acceptance of astrology pervades modern society. We are especially disturbed by the continued uncritical dissemination of astrological charts, forecasts, and horoscopes by the media and by otherwise reputable newspapers, magazines, and book publishers. This can only contribute to the growth of irrationalism and obscurantism. We believe that the time has come to challenge directly, and forcefully, the pretentious claims of astrological charlatans.

It should be apparent that those individuals who continue to have faith in astrology do so in spite of the fact that there is no verified scientific basis for their beliefs, and indeed that there is strong evidence to the contrary.

Sponsoring Committee

(Affiliations, as of 1975, given for identification only.)

Bart J. Bok, emeritus
Professor of Astronomy
University of Arizona

Lawrence E. Jerome
Science Writer
Santa Clara, California

Paul Kurtz
Professor of Philosophy
SUNY at Buffalo
Signed by 183 others, including 18 Nobel Prizewinners

The fact of the matter is that many of these signees know nothing about the subject matter which they claim false - this is evidenced by interviews with the subjects after the fact. Our friends at the BBC attempted to interview many of these nobel prizewinners and they declined - stating that they knew nothing of astrology and never studied it. Not only this, but within they make wild claims that 'In ancient times people believed in the predictions and advice of astrologers because astrology was part and parcel of their magical world view.' Where exactly did these men come by their convictions here? Not a one of them is an anthropologist...

Furthermore, I have shown with little to no effort that their base statement: "It is simply a mistake to imagine that the forces exerted by stars and planets at the moment of birth can in any way shape our futures" is complete bullocks. No argument is given here, except religious declaration, which I have shown false by simple use of solar flares.

Let us continue to show these men as religious nut jobs.

Oysters open and close their shells based on lunar events. Potatoes as well have their own lunar period. And man? what of him? Well, for one, solar flares have been linked to higher rates of cancer in pilots and astro'nots'. Some have even seen a brilliant flash of light due to them! This is an obvious fact. Standford goes so far as to call it 'space weather.' There is also no doubt that the movement of the heavenly bodies affects our seasons. Many insects are also affected by the heavenly bodies. One simply needs to shake a stick to find it pointing towards more evidence.

However, to full attack the claim "it is a mistake to imagine... [the] stars and planets at the moment of birth can in any way shape our futures" let us look at a 2012 study by Queen Mary University, London. In it, we see that month of birth indeed played quite the role in a great many lives. Winter babies are at the greatest risk for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder; spring babies depression. Other months show lows for these traits, thus again providing a correlative link between the planets locations and the 'shape of our futures'.

You can hardly pick out a sentence without finding complete bullocks. "They would like to believe in a destiny predetermined by astral forces beyond their control. " Is it not quite the popular opinion among scientists, and demonstrably some of those signees, that determinism is a valid point of view?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:08:03 AM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator
Re: ASTROLOGY and the Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
[Reserved]

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »
[Further Reserved]

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
[Reserved For Footnotes]

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
[reserved upon popular request by the spider boat corporation.]

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
In their scheme to hide god and his workings from us, The Roman Catholic Church - one of the first western bodies of power to take the banner of the globular pigswash that today eager students drink up,  has also hidden from us the truth about astrology.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss why and how this plays into their plans to hide God from us, if such plans exist, and how we might move forward with this knowledge. First to accomplish this nobel goal we must take on us the argument of whether Astrology is indeed a valid view of thought, whether its enemies (science and the Catholic church) acted rationally in their acceptance of it, and finally what their motives will be.  We start here at part I:

ASTROLOGY
SCIENTIFICALLY DEMONSTRATED

The Scientific Call To War: A Manifesto For Learned Men
Feyerabend, and others, report that in the October 1975 issue of the Humanist, 186 scientists - including a generous handful of Nobel Prize winners mind you - signed a manifesto against Astrology. They talk a great many words, and proudly proclaim astrology bunk with little to no argument. More than this, they include 186 signatures; if it was not clear the argument was not given, it should be when one considers the question - 'why so many signatures if their argument could be shown?'

Before we go any further, will you please clarify something?

Have you, yourself, actually read the 'manifesto' you refer to, or are you relying on a third party (Feyerabend, et al.) report of what it said? It sounds like you're doing the latter, but maybe I misunderstand what you said.

If you do have the October 1975 issue of the Humanist, would it be possible for you to scan the article in question, or provide a link to the content, so we can read what it says for ourselves, instead of having to rely on what you say it says, or, worse, what you say someone else says it says? If you have not seen the original article, please say so. If you have read it, but cannot provide a way for us to see the content itself, also, please say so.

Until your familiarity with the actual assertions you object to can be reasonably established and a way to verify your assertions are based on the text itself, there's not much to discuss.

[Edit] Punctuation.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:23:19 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »
[Reserved]
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 02:52:15 AM »
The effects of the moon are discussed in this forum at length. The effects, now, of the sun have been shown sufficiently or can be found by those interested. Or one can save their 20$ and simply use their common sense - of course the position of the sun, and thus the other planets, affect our lives.
I can't argue with this.  I'm far more likely to be up and active whilst the sun is up and far more likely to be in bed when it is dark.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 03:47:31 AM »
[Unreserved and obtainable through bribes]
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:04:36 AM »
I can't argue with this.  I'm far more likely to be up and active whilst the sun is up and far more likely to be in bed when it is dark.
Indeed! The plane truth is often hard to argue with. So clear it is that the heavenly bodies affect our lives!

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 05:42:33 AM »
God does a pretty good job hiding himself.
It doesn't need help from a group of guys in funny frocks.
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 05:56:09 AM »
You might say a rock does a good job at hiding itself, until you find out a group of guys in frocks actually hid it.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 06:17:00 AM »
You might say a rock does a good job at hiding itself, until you find out a group of guys in frocks actually hid it.

Rocks like to stay still. It's a personality feature deeply incrusted in the rock! We don't expect a rock to jump at a corner to surprise people.

Now gods are a diferent matter. First of all if a god allows to be hidden against it's will it defies the definition of a powerful god. So or god is powerless or god likes to play hide and seek.
The other option is that gods are fictional creatures...
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »

Rocks like to stay still. It's a personality feature deeply incrusted in the rock! We don't expect a rock to jump at a corner to surprise people.

Now gods are a diferent matter. First of all if a god allows to be hidden against it's will it defies the definition of a powerful god. So or god is powerless or god likes to play hide and seek.

There are several other options. One pointed out by the celebrated Joseph Campbell is especially pertinent - the metrics, behaviors, and laws of the Gods and in general the super-natural are not the same as those held by man. It is as if you are saying "Well oranges are orange, why aren't apples?" This is a fundamental trait of the globularist - to assume that since he knows one small thing, that all of reality must conform to his preconceived ideas. This is fool-hardy.

Another option left out of your pigeon hole, is that of a God that is as silly as you describe, but actually values the actions and will of man to decide his own end and carry about his own affairs. This may be more relatable; like a parent may give guidance to a child, eventually he must allow that child to reach adulthood. One could easily place this marker at around the biblical flood, if you wish.

There are quite a few more, but it seems as if you haven't even tried to find them. You assume quite a bit about this God.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »

There are several other options. One pointed out by the celebrated Joseph Campbell is especially pertinent - the metrics, behaviors, and laws of the Gods and in general the super-natural are not the same as those held by man. It is as if you are saying "Well oranges are orange, why aren't apples?" This is a fundamental trait of the globularist - to assume that since he knows one small thing, that all of reality must conform to his preconceived ideas. This is fool-hardy.

Another option left out of your pigeon hole, is that of a God that is as silly as you describe, but actually values the actions and will of man to decide his own end and carry about his own affairs. This may be more relatable; like a parent may give guidance to a child, eventually he must allow that child to reach adulthood. One could easily place this marker at around the biblical flood, if you wish.

There are quite a few more, but it seems as if you haven't even tried to find them. You assume quite a bit about this God.

Ok! Let's assume there is a god. Or a lot of them. But let's assume there is just one.
Now that we have our god, we can ask him why he is such a fucken asshole!

If someday I find that there is a god I will not worship such a malevolent creature.

Watch this video. It summarises my position about gods.

How dumb can you be?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »

Ok! Let's assume there is a god. Or a lot of them. But let's assume there is just one.

If someday I find that there is a god I will not worship such a malevolent creature.

I can think of one counter argument; I believe the Apocrypha of John disagrees. Certainly the creator in Gnosticism is a fool that has created us a world of suffering. The highest unknowable god, is a different story. This explains many of the sufferings in the world. In this case, you would be worshiping the highest unknowable god.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »

I can think of one counter argument; I believe the Apocrypha of John disagrees. Certainly the creator in Gnosticism is a fool that has created us a world of suffering. The highest unknowable god, is a different story. This explains many of the sufferings in the world. In this case, you would be worshiping the highest unknowable god.

Unknowable, invisible, impotent, inactive, improbable, improvable, inaudible, etc, etc, etc.
Bollocks in my opinion.

Your god will "die" and join the other dead gods...
How dumb can you be?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »

Words that describe globularist theory

Ignoring this, people can still be actively trying to hide god even if god is fictional.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
Incorrect.  God is all around you.  You just need to open your eyes and your heart.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »
Incorrect.  God is all around you.  You just need to open your eyes and your heart.

Heart opening is a tricky deal, better leave that to professionals.

About the vision sense I took look and didn't find any god on sight. Sorry.
How dumb can you be?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »

Apparently you think that metaphors are tricky too and choose to leave them to the professionals as well.

That's probably because it's hard to see things that you don't believe in.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »

Apparently you think that metaphors are tricky too and choose to leave them to the professionals as well.

That's probably because it's hard to see things that you don't believe in.
It's even harder to see things that don't exist.

But if you believe in fairytales wrote by primitive people good for you. I could ask who or what confirms the veracity ot the texts but for sure is a matter of gullibility.
How dumb can you be?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
Fairytales, and fables, and the whole lot are processes born out of generations and generations of social evolved information. You can even pretty easily show there's overlying and consistent arches across the stories of all nations of the world.

It would seem foolish to discard this one tradition of knowledge completely simply because one favors another a bit more. There are countless examples of religious experience causing huge scientific breakthroughs.

This could not be more true of astrology. Also, a belief that passes through several places, locations, times, and whats more than this - they all say the same thing. The heavens have an affect on our future. Only since the emergence of science as a profession, mind you not a search of knowledge anymore, we see a growing hate for any tradition or idea that is outside of the tyrant of sciences scope.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
Before we go any further, will you please clarify something?

Have you, yourself, actually read the 'manifesto' you refer to, or are you relying on a third party (Feyerabend, et al.) report of what it said? It sounds like you're doing the latter, but maybe I misunderstand what you said.

If you do have the October 1975 issue of the Humanist, would it be possible for you to scan the article in question, or provide a link to the content, so we can read what it says for ourselves, instead of having to rely on what you say it says, or, worse, what you say someone else says it says? If you have not seen the original article, please say so. If you have read it, but cannot provide a way for us to see the content itself, also, please say so.

Until your familiarity with the actual assertions you object to can be reasonably established and a way to verify your assertions are based on the text itself, there's not much to discuss.

After accidentally opening the beginning of the thread instead of going straight to new posts, I see you edited the OP in the thread to include the text of the Statement by 186 Leading Scientists from that issue of the Humanist as requested. It took a while to notice it was there, but thanks.

That's a statement of opinion by scientists, not a study. I don't see anything in there that seems unreasonable.

Here's how the publication you cite describes itself:

With a distinguished cadre of writers covering everything from science and religion to media and technology to politics and popular culture, the Humanist continues to challenge readers with insightful ethical critique and commentary on the central issues of our time.

It's commentary.

Your quote of the text is followed by several paragraphs of your own musings, opinions, and assertions with no citations to back them up. To use a catchphrase that originated a few years after the statement you object to: "where's the beef?"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
Fairytales, and fables, and the whole lot are processes born out of generations and generations of social evolved information. You can even pretty easily show there's overlying and consistent arches across the stories of all nations of the world.

It would seem foolish to discard this one tradition of knowledge completely simply because one favors another a bit more. There are countless examples of religious experience causing huge scientific breakthroughs.

This could not be more true of astrology. Also, a belief that passes through several places, locations, times, and whats more than this - they all say the same thing. The heavens have an affect on our future. Only since the emergence of science as a profession, mind you not a search of knowledge anymore, we see a growing hate for any tradition or idea that is outside of the tyrant of sciences scope.

Sure, sure... Look! A leprechaun!
How dumb can you be?

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
Unknowable, invisible, impotent, inactive, improbable, improvable, inaudible, etc, etc, etc.
Bollocks in my opinion.

What a fool you are. God is most certainly provable. Do you think murder is ok? What about lying? Are those things acceptable in your mind? If not, why? God.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
Bollocks in my opinion.

What a fool you are. God is most certainly provable. Do you think murder is ok? What about lying? Are those things acceptable in your mind? If not, why? God.

So you need god to tell you that murder is wrong? Do you not realise how bad that makes you look......
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 03:37:26 PM »
Bollocks in my opinion.

So you need god to tell you that murder is wrong? Do you not realise how bad that makes you look......

You missed the point of his post.

If you would like to learn more, there is a thread in the political forum where morals are discussed and their origins.

As for Gumby, I would say not to spend much time with him, it would be a loss to the one making the attempt.

He is the word for word stereotypical angry, irrational, closed minded atheist blowhard. I actually feel pity for him, not anger.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 01:19:30 AM »
Bollocks in my opinion.

You missed the point of his post.

If you would like to learn more, there is a thread in the political forum where morals are discussed and their origins.

As for Gumby, I would say not to spend much time with him, it would be a loss to the one making the attempt.

He is the word for word stereotypical angry, irrational, closed minded atheist blowhard. I actually feel pity for him, not anger.

Believing in stuff with unknown origin is not wise.

I must say that everyone that believes in gods is stupid and ignorant and gullible and irrational and prone to be deceived by confidence tricksters.
I pitty all the imbeciles that finance churches and priests and rabis and all those conmen that make a good living doing nothing more than selling illusions.

I also pity those who try to find ansers in books written by half savages in remote times.

May all the gods bless you all.
How dumb can you be?

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 04:00:35 AM »
Astrology is still bullshit.