Feral children

• 2 Replies

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
Feral children
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »
Well since Gumby is on a shit posting spree, I figured I would post one thing. Use this as an example of how to pose a question/comment etc in your own words and thoughts...

Every experiment that is on record from when people were trying to find the "true" language of humanity (multiple children raised by a mute or people forbidden to speak), to horrible cases of abuse, and many other situations... There hasn't been a single case where complex communication skills were formed (well very basic to normalized humanity)

Perhaps the first humans were instructed on how to communicate? Or possibly they were the only ones gifted with the info in order to pass it down?
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Feral children
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
I've heard of similar studies.  I get the impression that language evolved over quite a long time from simple grunts to what we have today.   

Human speech has some interesting prerequisites.  It takes a versatile set of vocal cords, parts of the brain specialized for language and the intellect to use it.

Some primates have the physiology for it but not the intellect.  Here's what a macau monkey might sound like if it had the mental capability to talk.

Sort of off topic.  The Proto Indo-European civilization.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_language.  It's a culture that we don't have much direct information on but all the world's languages and religions seem to converge on.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
Re: Feral children
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
I think the earliest form of language was probably mimicking animal sounds. This way the early humans didn't have to invent words, but they could get used to their vocal cords which over hundreds or thousands of years would allow them to come up with a few words at a time, especially when they started making civilisations. They could after a while also start mimicking the sound of certain actions, which could later lead to the formation of simple sentences.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!