Why is the flat earth circular?

• 14 Replies

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
Why is the flat earth circular?
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
All depictions of the flat earth, including maps, indicate that it is round (I'm talking 2D-round, don't get confused with an actual round earth). Why is this? Why not triangular, square, hexagonal (nature fucking loves hexagons), W-shaped?
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

Re: Why is the flat earth circular?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
All depictions of the flat earth, including maps, indicate that it is round (I'm talking 2D-round, don't get confused with an actual round earth). Why is this? Why not triangular, square, hexagonal (nature fucking loves hexagons), W-shaped?

except the Orlando Ferguson, it is square with a dish-shape inner surface.

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
I assume it is delimited by the base of the dome.  Intuition tells me (but an engineer may be able to correct me) that a circle-based dome is favored due to some aspect of physics, although I have trouble seeing why that would be the case in a world without gravity.  Short answer--who knows?
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
In reality earth is shaped as a multi layered cake.
Every layer has a different flavour and colour.
We live in the bottom layer. If we live well we ascend to the next level and so on.
When, and if, we reach the top level a world of knowledge will be revealed to our immortal soul.

This was revealed to me by the supreme muffin.
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
I assume it is delimited by the base of the dome.  Intuition tells me (but an engineer may be able to correct me) that a circle-based dome is favored due to some aspect of physics, although I have trouble seeing why that would be the case in a world without gravity.  Short answer--who knows?

i as an Engineer can say that a round dome shape would be more stable than a square one.
but also the Ferguson does not have a dome the sun, moon and stars are mounted with some kind of arm to the north pole.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
The flat earth may be any shape, really-- circle, square, etc.

Nobody, to the best of our knowledge, has reached the edge, assuming there is one. Therefore, no conclusive evidence exists proving that our planar place has one particular shape.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
It's an infinite plane, imo!

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
And you know what they say about opinions...
You just got Weskered, bitches!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 06:12:53 PM »
And you know what they say about opinions...
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
The Ice Wall
The figure of 24,900 miles is the diameter of the known world;[/b] the area which the light from the sun affects. Along the edge of our local area exists a massive 150 foot Ice Wall. The 150 foot Ice Wall is on the coast of Antarctica. It is widely known and widely studied. The Ice Wall is a massive wall of ice that surrounds Antarctica.

Irrespective of the infinite earth and square Orlando Ferguson map, the habitable part of the earth is (almost) always depicted as being circular.
There is good reason for this, in that the sun seems to move at a uniform rate over the earth during the day.

The easiest time to see this is at an equinox. Mariners and astronomers found that the angle of the sun changes by 15 per hour, wherever we are on earth and this is how we (used to) measure time.

And the sun certainly seems to travel in a circle about the North Pole.

I have not put this well, or very precisely, but the apparent path of the sun seems to force a circular earth.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Most Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
Topic opened by a swearer and I don't see this post. I'll comment with looking to the topic.

When you turn around yourself, you see a circular earth, whatever shape of it to be. This is either a prejudice , and  a shortcut todon't  fight to that prejudices.

this workplace is on strike

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 01:13:39 AM »
Topic opened by a swearer and I don't see this post. I'll comment with looking to the topic.

When you turn around yourself, you see a circular earth, whatever shape of it to be. This is either a prejudice , and  a shortcut todon't  fight to that prejudices.

Inti spoke!

Case closed!
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 01:15:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure you swear more than I do, but hey, who am I to judge?

You see a circular earth because whatever limits your view to the horizon, works in all directions in roughly the same distance. Plot this on a map and you get ... a circle. We could technically be standing on a giant monopoly board but something limits our view and we'd only see a circular part of it.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35:06 AM »

When you "turn around yourself" you see a small circular patch of Turkey.  So maybe that should be your map.
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
Because the earth is round, this is noticeable with more than two brain cells.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »
Because the earth is round, this is noticeable with more than two brain cells.
And you have how many?