The Shipping Crate Experiment

• 141 Replies

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
The Shipping Crate Experiment
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
Any man, or able bodied woman, can view the flat earth for him or herself with ease using this simple experiment (and many others!)

Should they find themselves at a dock, they need only slip the foreman a 20 dollar bill to view the inside of a shipping crate. Be careful, and tread lightly as you likely won't be accustomed to the 'shipyard banter' that often fills these locations. Now, at sunrise, within your shipping crate that is facing sunrise, with one end unbarred, take note of how the light illuminates the crate during the sunrise. If, as we are told, the earth is round then we would expect the top of the crate to be illuminated first - as it should have a better vantage point for the sun as it rises above a horizon.

You might well save your time though, as any dockworker will testify - the crate is not lit in this manner at all. This is yet another proof that the earth is not a spinning round ball hurtling through space at ridiculous speeds in some sort of celestial race, but instead a plane as our senses and logic dictates it must be.

It serves as yet another reason any thinking sailor since the dawn of time has known - the Earth is Flat.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:49:43 PM by John Davis »
Quantum Ab Hoc

Re: The Shipping Crate Experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
I feel as if something is missing from this. So tell us what cost you $20?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
I feel as if something is missing from this. So tell us what cost you $20?

It involved a sailor, a dark shipping crate and $20, I doubt you'll get to hear what really happened.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »
Ahh, the old familiar gutter mind of the globularist is at it again! They normally don't allow just anybody to wander around - for their safety mind you. Local situations may vary.
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
Any person who lives in a mountainous region can tell you that as the sun rises, the tops of the mountains alight before anything else.

Your example of a shipping crate is a poor one, as it uses a very small scale.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
Any man, or able bodied woman, can view the flat earth for him or herself with ease using this simple experiment (and many others!)

Should they find themselves at a dock, they need only slip the foreman a 20 dollar bill to view the inside of a shipping crate. Be careful, and tread lightly as you likely won't be accustomed to the 'shipyard banter' that often fills these locations. Now, at sunrise, within your shipping crate that is facing sunrise, with one end unbarred, take note of how the light illuminates the crate during the sunrise. If, as we are told, the earth is round then we would expect the top of the crate to be illuminated first - as it should have a better vantage point for the sun as it rises above a horizon.

You might well save your time though, as any dockworker will testify - the crate is not lit in this manner at all. This is yet another proof that the earth is not a spinning round ball hurtling through space at ridiculous speeds in some sort of celestial race, but instead a plane as our senses and logic dictates it must be.

It serves as yet another reason any thinking sailor since the dawn of time has known - the Earth is Flat.

IKR? It's just like the other day, I was watching this tiny pebble sitting out on a floating dock during sunrise. I think you could say the sun hit it pretty well instantaneously. None of this top illuminated first business which you would expect to see if the earth was a globe. Clear evidence the earth is flat! Case closed!

What? You want to talk about tall buildings and mountains? Not necessary, I've already seen all the evidence I need to see. My preferred worldview has been supported by what I saw and that, my friends, is that!

Also, no true  scotsman sailor ....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:46:35 PM by Boots »
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »

Really? Let's look at just what you are saying.
How many "crates" get loaded onto ships these days? All I ever see in containers everywhere, here and overseas.

Still, that should help you little "imaginary thought experiment", as container ships are much taller,
though people smuggled in containers get treated a bit harshly at the other end.

So, we'll look at a big one of height 73 metres so our observer might get a viewing height of 70 m (hope he has a drill to make a hole - no slats in containers.

Now at a height of 70 m above sea level, the horizon is about 30 km away and the angle down to the horizon is only 0.27°.
Are you going to claim that the ship will roll less than 0.27° even while moored?
And I do hope that your keen observer has thought to take a surveyors quality to detect an angle this small!

Please get some sense of perspective, your dreamworld might be flat, my real earth is certainly a huge Globe!

John, stick to what you do best, thought experiments - don't touch real life!

While you are at it, please explain the upward slanting shadow from Mount Rainier at sunrise:
It's easy really, the sun is lower than Mt Ranier.
Or the sun rising under the clouds
I thought that your sun was at 5,000 km, not 5,000 metres!

Both from Re: astounding easy to disprove flat earth « Reply #200 on: December 17, 2016, 06:18:53 PM » by Definitely Not Official.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »
Now, at sunrise, within your shipping crate that is facing sunrise, with one end unbarred, take note of how the light illuminates the crate during the sunrise. If, as we are told, the earth is round then we would expect the top of the crate to be illuminated first - as it should have a better vantage point for the sun as it rises above a horizon.

Do you mean shipping crate or cargo container? Shipping crates are typically wooden boxes of varying sizes, but seldom have a barred opening in one end; cargo containers are typically 20 or 40-foot long corrugated steel containers that open at one end and are more than large enough to walk around in. Your description sounds like the latter.

The top of a 'crate', or the ceiling of a container? If the latter, this might be expected, perhaps under ideal conditions, only if the container were aligned almost exactly in the direction of the sunrise (the general direction won't do), and, even then, very hard to tell. If the former, than, no, I wouldn't expect the 'top' (not ceiling) to be illuminated by the direct rays first, but it also would be very hard to tell, anyway.

Have you actually tried this yourself? It sounds like you haven't. $20 bribe or not, I can't imagine any shipping company just allowing some random person to wander around in their facility like that.

You might well save your time though, as any dockworker will testify - the crate is not lit in this manner at all.

So you didn't try it, you asked a dockworker? Were they actually looking for what you claim, or were they busy moving, loading, or unloading the container? Did you pay them $20? Did they tell you what you wanted to hear because you gave them $20?

This is yet another proof that the earth is not a spinning round ball hurtling through space at ridiculous speeds in some sort of celestial race, but instead a plane as our senses and logic dictates it must be.

Proof? This sounds like an anecdote. A very fanciful anecdote.

What does? Paying a sailor $20 to tell you what you want to hear?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »
Alternatively you can also save yourself $20 and just watch the cargo ships sail off and see if what you observe is consistent with a flat or round world.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »

A novel experiment! from the same mind that brought us Nazi designer lunchbox penguins.
How does he do it?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
Or the sun rising under the clouds
I thought that your sun was at 5,000 km, not 5,000 metres!

Maybe they just tricked us into thinking it was 5000 metres and they're really doing space travel beyond the sun! They wouldn't want us to know cause they're gonna make a lot of money by us not knowing!
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
Can I be on record as saying I'll gladly donate 20 bucks, greenbacks, or whatever to have John Davies shipped off in a crate, 'no airholes required' ......If we all contribute we could put together quite a consignment;  Arealhumanbeing, Sceptimatic, papa legwho, Jora......all in all it would be $100 well spent.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:13:50 PM by Lonegranger »

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »

I enjoyed the victorian style of the prose. It makes us travel to the docklands with sailships docked at Harbour Exchange and I guess this was nicked from some old book that nobody takes for serious.
But 10 points for the style!
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »

A novel experiment! from the same mind that brought us Nazi designer lunchbox penguins.
How does he do it?

Easily!
I am . . . . . the leading Zetetic scientist of our time. I have advanced our knowledge of the universe more so than any one other person since Rowbotham himself. When the veil is lifted from the eyes of the world, they will sing songs to laud the sacrifices that have led to what we know about the flat earth.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it was tongue in cheek or not,
but you must realise that we have that on the authority of none other than: "the leading Zetetic scientist of our time".

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »

How does he do it?

Easily!
I am . . . . . the leading Zetetic scientist of our time. I have advanced our knowledge of the universe more so than any one other person since Rowbotham himself. When the veil is lifted from the eyes of the world, they will sing songs to laud the sacrifices that have led to what we know about the flat earth.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it was tongue in cheek or not,
but you must realise that we have that on the authority of none other than: "the leading Zetetic scientist of our time".

Of course! He's the  leading Zetetic scientist of our time, how could I have forgotten!
I'll make a wee note of that for future reference..

John Davis is none other than the.
leading Zetetic scientist of our time

...and what a time it is.

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 05:18:54 AM »
They normally don't allow just anybody to wander around

Just anyone with 20 bucks, makes perfect sense

?

Woody

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »

Here is a pic of a window that replicates similar conditions a connex would.

Notice how the shelf above the window is illuminated. 

Also during my time in the military I got the pleasure of living in a connex for a short time.  During that time I experienced 2 sunrises from within it.  The conditions described by the op do not happen until sometime after sunrise.

Now a cave:

How about a tunnel?:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:25:42 AM by Woody »

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 06:20:58 AM »
John has all the best experiments.

I'm still not sure what he spent the $20 on though.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
Can I be on record as saying I'll gladly donate 20 bucks, greenbacks, or whatever to have John Davies shipped off in a create. 'no airholes required' ......If we all contribute we could put together quite a consignment;  Arealhumanbeing, Sceptimatic, papa legwho, Jora......all in all it would be $100 well spent.

Is that your job here? To get rid of all the flat earthers? I swear with your previous hinting at the promotion of violence towards flat earthers, and now jokes about having prominent posters on this site killed, you are asking for legal trouble. What would you do on this site without any flat earthers to call twisted little fucks?

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »

I enjoyed the victorian style of the prose. It makes us travel to the docklands with sailships docked at Harbour Exchange and I guess this was nicked from some old book that nobody takes for serious.
But 10 points for the style!

I get the impression Davis sees himself as a modern day Rowbotham and is modelling his style on his. It's that thinly disguised argument from incredulity coupled with boldly asserted untruths with which the Victorian charlatans were so well practised.

Snake oil, anyone?

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
Can I be on record as saying I'll gladly donate 20 bucks, greenbacks, or whatever to have John Davies shipped off in a create. 'no airholes required' ......If we all contribute we could put together quite a consignment;  Arealhumanbeing, Sceptimatic, papa legwho, Jora......all in all it would be $100 well spent.

Is that your job here? To get rid of all the flat earthers? I swear with your previous hinting at the promotion of violence towards flat earthers, and now jokes about having prominent posters on this site killed, you are asking for legal trouble. What would you do on this site without any flat earthers to call twisted little fucks?

Go away...put in crates.....oh you do love to twist things and then make all sorts of things out of the twisty bits.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »

You are so funny....just thought I'd mention that.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »

Nobody wants flatties flattened out! Without flatties this site would be dull and boring and dull and boring as a dead parrot.
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »

i live under a mountain and every time i went from night shift in the city thats  that sits on a flat ground i culd see the sunrise and when i came home under the mountain it was still dawn...
Flat earth asshole: "The flat earth society is run by nasa" Random:"Just imagine the silence in the world, if people talked only what they knew"

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
Snake oil, anyone?

How much does it cost? $20?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »

Nobody wants flatties flattened out! Without flatties this site would be dull and boring and dull and boring as a dead parrot.
Incorrect.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »

Have you ever met any sailors?

We find it a great source of humour that there are some people that think the Earth is flat.

• Our charts are Mercator projections of the globe.
  • We use the rising/dipping distances of lighthouses to determine distance off when position fixing.
  • We use celestial navigation techniques.

None of the above could work on a flat earth.

Keep up the comedy :-)

LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »

Incorrect.

I think we would all gladly pay $40 for a crate for you.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »

Incorrect.
What do mean by "Incorrect"? Do you want "flatties flattened out"? That would be cruel!

How would you flatten the flatties? Stomp on them with your red gumboots?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
I'm a great Sherlock Holmes fan.
How would Sherlock have done this little experiment ?
How much does $20 (2017) compute to Pounds Sterling (1895) ?
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !