FE Sunrise/Sunset Problem Solved (Apparently)

• 10 Replies
?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
FE Sunrise/Sunset Problem Solved (Apparently)
« on: January 19, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
Whaddya think?

“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

4pir2

Re: FE Sunrise/Sunset Problem Solved (Apparently)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
I didn't hear what's the refractive index of the atmosphere they are buiding in their 3d model. That would have been of great help to do some math.
The only reference to data in the video is "entered the data from the internet"  and "he found out his program is capable to model the atmosphere"
(  )

gg1gamer

• time enjoyed wasting is not wasted
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
And how exactly do the lunar phases work in this model?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »

I don't know, but do you think their explanation for sunrise/sunsets is viable?

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
its funny how fe'ers are ok with refraction when they wanna make up an apparent sun location, but they are not ok with refraction when light curves over a globe earth.
its the same thing, but they wanna pick and choose which refractions in nature are suitable to them.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »
Whaddya think?

Look closely at the time and location they used for their simulation. (4:55)

Why do you think they chose a time and place where the sun never sets? Probably because they couldn't get the sun to actually set in their model.

Also, notice what they said at 3:06. I bet they reversed refraction in their model. That's how they got the sun to appear so close to the horizon. I wonder if it was on purpose, or if they even noticed?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »
I didn't hear what's the refractive index of the atmosphere they are building in their 3d model. That would have been of great help to do some math.
The only reference to data in the video is "entered the data from the internet"  and "he found out his program is capable to model the atmosphere"
Exactly! He just says that they model all the layers of the atmosphere and it all works. Usual FE logic.

Well, I just did my bit of modelling - on the back of an envelope (yes, one from Westpac Bank) plus Excel for the number-crunching.

It is a bit rough (envelope was not big enough - that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it).
I took the atmosphere extending to 8.5 km, the typical  "scale-height" of the atmosphere, with the refractive index nair = 1.00029.

These figures mean that at the time of the geometric sunset the sunlight touches the top of the "effective" atmosphere about 330 km away and at about 3° to the upper atmosphere.
Snell's law shows that the sunlight would be refracted by about 0.3°.

As I said before, this is very rough, but it should be enough to show that the light can be refracted by only a fraction of a degree, not the 20° or so needed to make the Flat earth sun set.

That video completely misleading rubbish, still it might keep a few Flat Earthers happy!

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
Another thing I was thinking is that we see the sun rise and set in the same way every day. Atmospheric conditions vary a lot from day to day. If the sun setting effect was due to atmospheric refraction wouldn't there be a lot more variation in sunrise/sunsets?

One thing the presenter was very clear on is that perspective does not explain what we observe regarding sunrise/sunsets.

gg1gamer

• time enjoyed wasting is not wasted
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:36:33 AM »

I don't know, but do you think their explanation for sunrise/sunsets is viable?
Nope, of course not.  But convincing them of this is harder than asking how something else is supposed to work.  If they can't give an explanation for the moon in this model we don't have to disprove their theory, they would have done that for us.

JackBlack

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 03:01:26 PM »
Just a bunch of lies like is typical for FEers.
They completely ignore how refraction work and the density/refractive index of the atmosphere.
The refraction of the atmosphere only ever makes the sun appear higher, not lower.

Do you notice how in his model, the sun doesn't actually set, it just flattens into a pancake at the horizon?
That will likely be a problem even with their fake numbers for atmospheric refraction. It will still always be there.

And of course, they won't post their data to allow others to point out flaws.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
Do you notice how in his model, the sun doesn't actually set, it just flattens into a pancake at the horizon?

If you look closely, they only demonstrate their model for Alaska in June, where the sun conveniently never completely sets. I normally like to give people the benefit of the doubt regarding honesty, but this had to have been done on purpose to obscure the fact that the model doesn't work for places that the sun actually sets.

They are just trolling for views or laughs.