Air Pressure vs Gravity

• 1933 Replies
Re: Air Pressure vs Gravity
« Reply #1080 on: January 16, 2017, 04:36:35 AM »
I can see the demonstration and it works perfectly but a cleaner demonstration will have two cubes of the same volume but different materials. Say 5x5x5cm of lead and of aluminium. Both will obviously displace the same volume of water but will remove scepti complaining about the jar.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #1081 on: January 16, 2017, 04:39:38 AM »
I can see the demonstration and it works perfectly but a cleaner demonstration will have two cubes of the same volume but different materials. Say 5x5x5cm of lead and of aluminium. Both will obviously displace the same volume of water but will remove scepti complaining about the jar.

I take your point but I am restricted by the materials to hand - it was one of the reasons I decided to also show the volume of water displaced by the jar and its attendant air without the lid on it.

Sceppy is welcome to provide his own demonstration whenever he sees fit.
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

« Reply #1082 on: January 16, 2017, 04:42:46 AM »
Just had a quick look on amazin. 2cm density cubes are pretty cheap £12 here in U.K. And add a cheap measuring cylinder and we can produce a very accurate demonstration.

Six different cubes with identical volume but different densities and therefore mass all displacing exactly the same volume.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1083 on: January 16, 2017, 04:43:59 AM »
OBM destroyed your bullshit claims in a 40s video, scepti. Your ideas are that easily destroyed. Now all you're trying to do is backtrack to save face.

Displacement has nothing to do with density. This is so demonstrably easy to show that I can hardly believe you've tried to assert it.

Are you really trying to say that an 1m3 of cube of lead will displace more than a 1m3 cube of aluminum?
Yes I am but you aren't going to find that out by using a shallow jug.
Denpressure is very real and what I've said it does, it does.
Density displaces atmospheric pressure and also water.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1084 on: January 16, 2017, 04:46:53 AM »
Another kitchen sink drama here

ZOMG WTF??

The object with the greater density but the same weight and smaller volume displaces less water.

Still waiting sceppy, where's yours?
The dishonesty coming from you is laughable and pathetic at the same time. Either that or you're naive.

onebigmonkey

« Reply #1085 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:00 AM »
Another kitchen sink drama here

ZOMG WTF??

The object with the greater density but the same weight and smaller volume displaces less water.

Still waiting sceppy, where's yours?
The dishonesty coming from you is laughable and pathetic at the same time. Either that or you're naive.

Given that I have provided two videos to give you a demonstration that a lobotimised toddler could understand that objects in water displace water equivalent to their volume regardless of their mass, whereas you have provided exactly jack shit to demonstrate anything you have ever claimed ever, I think everyone can tell who is being dishonest.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

« Reply #1086 on: January 16, 2017, 04:53:54 AM »
Show us proof Sceptimatic.

We are more than willing to show you.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1087 on: January 16, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
And just so there can be no wriggling on hooks, here are the same elements of the demonstration under two different conditions - one occupies less volume than the other. Guess which one displaces less water?

Naive or refusal to listen?

« Reply #1088 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:32 AM »
I'll go with your second option - You refuse to listen

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1089 on: January 16, 2017, 05:40:36 AM »
Anyone care to do the experiments under my instructions?

I know babymonkey has refused, so I'm wondering if anyone would like to tried it my way.
No problem if nobody does but it would give a good insight into what's really happening.

The reality is that density/mass displaces atmosphere. It also displaces water the same way...AS LONG AS IT'S ALLOWED TO BE ALLOWED TO FIND IT'S OWN BUOYANCY LEVEL.

The buoyancy level is dependent on how much trapped air the water CANNOT crush/squeeze.

Putting dense mass inside a container of sealed atmosphere and creating a false bottom to arrest it's fall is dishonest or at best, naive of anyone doing so.

But here's the key.
The dupe by using the jug can easily be seen if it's marked correctly because there will be a very slight difference in displacement between the two dense masses placed into the container.

To the eye and bad focus, (which babymonkeys was) you will never see the difference because it's minor due to the false bottom arresting the fall of the object, as I mentioned.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1090 on: January 16, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »
I'll go with your second option - You refuse to listen
I don't refuse to listen. I refuse to be bullied into a theory that is not a truth.

When people finally grasp this it will be a massive wake up call for them.
At the minute it's merely a gravity fight. People just cannot let go of the gravity and that's why they get duped with this crap that you and your cronies are dishing out.

« Reply #1091 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:09 AM »

I know babymonkey has refused, so I'm wondering if anyone would like to tried it my way.
No problem if nobody does but it would give a good insight into what's really happening.

The reality is that density/mass displaces atmosphere. It also displaces water the same way...AS LONG AS IT'S ALLOWED TO BE ALLOWED TO FIND IT'S OWN BUOYANCY LEVEL.

The buoyancy level is dependent on how much trapped air the water CANNOT crush/squeeze.

Putting dense mass inside a container of sealed atmosphere and creating a false bottom to arrest it's fall is dishonest or at best, naive of anyone doing so.

But here's the key.
The dupe by using the jug can easily be seen if it's marked correctly because there will be a very slight difference in displacement between the two dense masses placed into the container.

To the eye and bad focus, (which babymonkeys was) you will never see the difference because it's minor due to the false bottom arresting the fall of the object, as I mentioned.
What do you mean by buoyancy level?  The steel and aluminium fall to the bottom of the container.

onebigmonkey

« Reply #1092 on: January 16, 2017, 05:55:53 AM »

What false bottom?

Let me make this clear because you've accused me of dishonesty several times now: both those videos are exactly as shown. Nothing has been fiddled with, or modified, or faked. The equipment was what I had lying around.

But here's the key.

I have a better idea: you do it.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:58:38 AM by onebigmonkey »

« Reply #1093 on: January 16, 2017, 06:03:24 AM »
Scepti - will you accept a series of solid cubes of different materials (i.e. Densities)  dropped into measuring cylinder of water?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1094 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:35 AM »

What false bottom?

Let me make this clear because you've accused me of dishonesty several times now: both those videos are exactly as shown. Nothing has been fiddled with, or modified, or faked. The equipment was what I had lying around.

But here's the key.

If you don't want to do it that's fine. Just stop with the dishonesty, it doesn't impress me.

« Reply #1095 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:02 AM »

What false bottom?

But here's the key.

If you don't want to do it that's fine. Just stop with the dishonesty, it doesn't impress me.
You are being dishonest, knowing you can't prove anything you write.  If it was the amazing truth you would be publishing it for all to see, not just arguing on an obscure website.

onebigmonkey

« Reply #1096 on: January 16, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »

What false bottom?

But here's the key.

Again with the dishonesty shit - where is it dishonest?

The videos demonstrate very simply that the amount of water displaced by an object depends on the volume of the object. Density, mass, weight, whatever has got absolutely nothing to do with it. What's dishonest there?

Do your own video if you don't like how other people interpret your gibberish.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1097 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:04 AM »
Scepti - will you accept a series of solid cubes of different materials (i.e. Densities)  dropped into measuring cylinder of water?
Yep I'll accept those.

« Reply #1098 on: January 16, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »
Yep I'll accept those.
Have you tried it?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1099 on: January 16, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »

What false bottom?

But here's the key.

The videos demonstrate very simply that the amount of water displaced by an object depends on the volume of the object. Density, mass, weight, whatever has got absolutely nothing to do with it. What's dishonest there?

Density of an object is what displaces the water. It does this due to atmospheric pressure being displaced against the density of the water itself which pushes the dense object under the water and the more the object is pushed down (squeezed) the more atmosphere is released from the mass until that mass resists the squeeze.
Only then will you get a true reading of the entire density of that mass.

If an object cannot push against the atmosphere due to it being less dense, it will float and displace less water.

« Reply #1100 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:57 AM »

What false bottom?

But here's the key.

Density of an object is what displaces the water. It does this due to atmospheric pressure being displaced against the density of the water itself which pushes the dense object under the water and the more the object is pushed down (squeezed) the more atmosphere is released from the mass until that mass resists the squeeze.

If an object cannot push against the atmosphere due to it being less dense, it will float and displace less water.

Ill order some cubes and a tube.

My hypothesis: cubes of different densities but identical volume will displace the same volume of water.

Sceptimatic hypothesis: cubes of different densities but identical volume will displace different volumes.

Should have a video by the weekend.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1101 on: January 16, 2017, 06:46:56 AM »

My hypothesis: cubes of different densities but identical volume will displace the same volume of water.

Sceptimatic hypothesis: cubes of different densities but identical volume will displace different volumes.

Now just remember one thing. You need to observe and absolutely accurately measure the difference as clearly as humanly possible.

« Reply #1102 on: January 16, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
Hence the measuring cylinder......

« Reply #1103 on: January 16, 2017, 06:49:42 AM »

Now just remember one thing. You need to observe and absolutely accurately measure the difference as clearly as humanly possible.
What difference would you expect? 

« Reply #1104 on: January 16, 2017, 06:51:05 AM »

What false bottom?

But here's the key.

I honestly thought you couldn't get any more delusional. I stand corrected.

Of course an object floating on water is going to displace less water than one that is submerged. Who has even remotely suggested anything otherwise? That's nothing but a strawman. Not only that, that isn't even the argument.

You were shown, on two occasions, that you're wrong about density determining how much water is displaced. Now you're tap dancing and calling others dishonest for doing a simple demonstration that proves you wrong. The only dishonest person here is you.

It's a testament to how far gone you are. Anything that proves you wrong is incorrect and/or the person who performed the demonstration/experiment is being dishonest. You've had some laughable faux pas' before, but this one is turning into another scepti special.

To wade through your crap, let's just bottom line this: Describe a demonstration/experiment that can be done with everyday items which will properly demonstrate your claims that it is density that causes displacement and not volume.

Since I know you'll never do this yourself and expect others to do it for you (after which you will call them dishonest if the results are contrary to your claims), please just answer the above request as simply and clearly as you can.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1105 on: January 16, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »

I honestly thought you couldn't get any more delusional. I stand corrected.

Of course an object floating on water is going to displace less water than one that is submerged. Who has even remotely suggested anything otherwise? That's nothing but a strawman. Not only that, that isn't even the argument.

Pay attention to what I said about the jug and it being a false bottom.

You were shown, on two occasions, that you're wrong about density determining how much water is displaced.
Pay attention to what I said about the jug and the false bottom.

Now you're tap dancing and calling others dishonest for doing a simple demonstration that proves you wrong. The only dishonest person here is you.
I'm trying to be as truthful as I can but certain people come in with so called experiments that are dishonest or naive.
It's a testament to how far gone you are. Anything that proves you wrong is incorrect and/or the person who performed the demonstration/experiment is being dishonest. You've had some laughable faux pas' before, but this one is turning into another scepti special.
Nobody is forcing you into this topic. If I'm as mental as you make out then what the hell are you all doing arguing a point that you all supposedly know is indisputable?
It makes no sense to do this unless you're not quite sure you're following the right theory.

To wade through your crap, let's just bottom line this: Describe a demonstration/experiment that can be done with everyday items which will properly demonstrate your claims that it is density that causes displacement and not volume.
  Can you think of anything?
Since I know you'll never do this yourself and expect others to do it for you (after which you will call them dishonest if the results are contrary to your claims), please just answer the above request as simply and clearly as you can.
How about you answer it seeing as you've got yourself all crazed up.
You tell me what you could use to clearly kill off my argument?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1106 on: January 16, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »
A 10 cm cube of steel weighs more than the 10 cm cube of water than it displaces, therefore it sinks to the bottom.  A 10 cm cube of balsa weighs less than the 10 cm cube of water that it displaces, therefore it floats on top (despite being porous).  That means that the "buoyancy level" of objects more dense than water is the bottom of the container, regardless of how deep or shallow.

No.  Buoyancy is dependent on the relative densities of the object and the fluid that it's in.

Wooden shipwrecks and steel shipwrecks sink equally deep in the ocean.

But here's the key.

Then perhaps you should make your own video of the experiment done correctly.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1107 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:37 AM »
No.  Less dense mass displaces more atmosphere than more dense mass of the same weight.  That is unless you have a different definition of density than the accepted density = mass divided by volume.
No it doesn't. How can less dense mass displace MORE atmosphere?
Seriously?  You don't think that less dense objects have a greater volume than more dense objects of the same weight?

Where you people get mixed up, or duped, whichever is the case, is not understanding how and why dense mass displaces atmosphere.
No.  Where we get mixed up is that you seem to have different definitions of words like "displacement" than the rest of the world.

It can be concluded that the amount of water displaced has nothing to do with the weight of the container.  That is unless you have a different definition of displacement than the one that everyone else is using.
The amount of water displaced has everything to do with the mass inside of that container and the containers ability to contain it.
I can see quite clearly how you people have been duped, I really can.
The truth is different to how you're told this all works and is the reason why you people adhere to the gravity nonsense.
Gravity has nothing to do with displacement.  Volume has everything to do with displacement.

???  Huh?  If the jar is more dense than the water, then it will always sink to the bottom, regardless of how far down that bottom is.

But it will only do so if the water can crush the air out of it or make it as dense as it.
The jar being open will sink. There is a massive difference and is the reason I said the experiment is dishonest.
The jar clearly had air in it and still sank.  What's your point?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1108 on: January 16, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »

A 10 cm cube of steel weighs more than the 10 cm cube of water than it displaces, therefore it sinks to the bottom.  A 10 cm cube of balsa weighs less than the 10 cm cube of water that it displaces, therefore it floats on top (despite being porous).  That means that the "buoyancy level" of objects more dense than water is the bottom of the container, regardless of how deep or shallow.
Not sure what you mean by that buoyancy level being the bottom of the container.

Buoyancy is dependent on the relative densities of the object and the fluid that it's in.
relative densities of the object?
What are you talking about?

Wooden shipwrecks and steel shipwrecks sink equally deep in the ocean.
That depends on the depth of the ocean and the trapped atmosphere within the wood being squeezed out.
Not as straightforward as you think it is.

Then perhaps you should make your own video of the experiment done correctly.
I don't need to, I know what I'm talking about. Babymonkey jumped in with his little measuring jug experiment that was dishonest. I didn't ask him to do it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1109 on: January 16, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »
Seriously?  You don't think that less dense objects have a greater volume than more dense objects of the same weight?
I never said that.
No.  Where we get mixed up is that you seem to have different definitions of words like "displacement" than the rest of the world.
Do I?
Let's see.
If I put a block of lead in water, the water that the lead is now taken up has been displaced and is now outside of that block and all around it.
If I do the same in atmospheric pressure at sea level (for instance) then that block displaces the air that the block now occupies, which forces that air to compress by that blocks mass/density.

Are we differing?
Gravity has nothing to do with displacement.  Volume has everything to do with displacement.
Tell me how volume displaces water? Tell me how it displaces atmosphere?

The jar clearly had air in it and still sank.  What's your point?
It has air in it and still sank because the dense mass inside of it displaced the rest of the air from the container and created less buoyancy.